Zhang Jike Will Retire After Rio Olympics 2016!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Liu guoliang loves zhang jike . he wont let him go :p

IMG_20160818_231514.jpg
IMG_20160818_231527.jpg
IMG_20160818_231600.jpg
IMG_20160818_231539.jpg

Zhang jike after final:eek:

IMG_20160818_231512.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
For me with this, table tennis comes to halt. ZJK is one dynamic and charismatic personality who instilled the spirit of ping pong into innumerable fans all throughout the world. Table tennis wouldn't be the same after he departs.

I am still skeptical that he would make a come back after an year if he recovers from his back and shoulder injury after rehab. Probably Tokyo would be the ideal time if he does that. Keeping the hopes up and saying bye to a great legend :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm more depressed about Li X.X. retiring. She was everything that embodies the Chinese team. I really hope she remains in the sport in some capacity. I don't see how she can sell cakes for the rest of her life.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2013
I think Fan Zhendong is the next Zhang Jike and Fang Bo is the next Ma long in terms of playing style. Further, Fan is more ready to replace Zhang Jike (and he needs to seeing Zhang Jike's performance and physical state) in the coming years. I think Fang Bo was expected to follow up Ma Long but he might not be needed, and ready for it yet

I am also wondering what the next CNT will look like after xx, ml and zj have retired. The only one who can compete with them now is Fan Zhendong

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
In an interview after Team Competition, LGL told us that he had asked ZJK several times about his back condition and ZJK said no problem. But ZJK disclosed that he was actually pretty hurt after semi but he did not want to be replaced by FZD so he kept his cool. :cool:

ZJK said that after XX loss to Jun, he accompanied XX to washroom and encourage him like WH did back in London where he himself had loss in a similar fashion. What a team of brothers yet they have to beat each other for the glory. They all have my respect.

LGL said that ML is the leader of the team but ZJK is the soul. These three represent an era not to be repeated. So sad to see ZJK leave and wish him all the best. :)

I think it is about time for Zhang Jike to leave. His injuries are too much for him to handle, and his performance has been dropping. He should be satisfied with a silver medal in his last olympic games, getting amazingly close to a double grand slam. He can retire with Liu Guoliang. They can leave together and be happy.

Ma Long will keep playing for a while I believe. I'm not too sure if he will win the world championships next year though, and I think getting gold at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics is too much to ask for. He does have a lot of dominance now though, so I don't see a reason for him to quit, unless he wants to leave along side Zhang Jike and Liu Guoliang. But I don't think his time to leave is here, and he's only just begun.

Fan Zhendong will obviously dominate the next generation and his fully-fledged dominance will start in a year or two.

I'm not so sure about Xu Xin, and I honestly feel sorry for him. No world championship title, no olympic gold, just one lousy Bronze medal. Not to belittle his achievements, but you can see he has totally under-achieved compared to Zhang Jike and Ma Long. Not out of effort, but because of opportunity. Maybe he will stay and see if he can try and win something, but Ma Long and Fan Zhendong are going to beat him. With Liu Guoliang and Zhang Jike gone, he might also just realise that his efforts are futile and that it's his time to go. It depends on his feelings and his motivation.

Honestly not so sure about the next coaches or Chinese trio. We basically just have Fan Zhendong at this point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews
ZJK disclosed that he was actually pretty hurt after semi but he did not want to be replaced by FZD so he kept his cool.

As a fan, I have been saying this from the exact point from which it happened. There is no way Ma long gets to dominate ZJK like that on an international scene. It happened once in Qatar open for similar reasons.

Ma long is better but in reality it would not have been such an easy run for gold that now ZJK haters just used that exact opportunity to down play his ability and started character assasination :(

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
As a fan, I have been saying this from the exact point from which it happened. There is no way Ma long gets to dominate ZJK like that on an international scene. It happened once in Qatar open for similar reasons.

Ma long is better but in reality it would not have been such an easy run for gold that now ZJK haters just used that exact opportunity to down play his ability and started character assasination :(

I didn't know that player can change in singles competition. Pretty sure he was referring to his nasty slip against JYS.

That being said, if Boll can get injection why cannot ZJK in the final?

Being ZJK's opponent sure is terrible. If you won, it's either because he wasn't motivated or injured. If you lose, ZJK was incredible in tight situation. Poor JYS, guess nobody truly sees your ability

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Fans will always have an excuse.
A true champion (of any sport) in today's world is not just skills and technique, but also including body and mind.
If ZJK's body doesn't make the cut, then he is not a complete true champion.

Imagine a fan of JO Waldner saying, "if" Waldner wasn't injured, he would have played till 40.
That to me would be an excuse too.
The truth was, he played till 40 and still was a great player, he overcame body, so that to me is a champion

Now blaming body for not being a champion, then with the same mindset of this Fan, I can also say, Ma Long also injured himself before the last Olympic - thus not making it, thus giving a chance for ZJK to win.
another "if" ML has played, ZJK has a huge chance of not being champion.
Another body issue changing the results.
But simply Ma Long wasn't complete to make the last Olympic.

Now, you can have a 20 year old super star, but got injured - he will not be known as a champion, but the super star that didn't made the cut.
ZJK to me, didn't make the cut in the final.

You need to be complete to desire gold.
Ma Long was complete, and Fans of ZJK should except it
If his body isn't good enough with it, then that is sports for you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Fans will always have an excuse.
A true champion (of any sport) in today's world is not just skills and technique, but also including body and mind.
If ZJK's body doesn't make the cut, then he is not a complete true champion.

Imagine a fan of JO Waldner saying, "if" Waldner wasn't injured, he would have played till 40.
That to me would be an excuse too.
The truth was, he played till 40 and still was a great player, he overcame body, so that to me is a champion

Now blaming body for not being a champion, then with the same mindset of this Fan, I can also say, Ma Long also injured himself before the last Olympic - thus not making it, thus giving a chance for ZJK to win.
another "if" ML has played, ZJK has a huge chance of not being champion.
Another body issue changing the results.
But simply Ma Long wasn't complete to make the last Olympic.

Now, you can have a 20 year old super star, but got injured - he will not be known as a champion, but the super star that didn't made the cut.
ZJK to me, didn't make the cut in the final.

You need to be complete to desire gold.
Ma Long was complete, and Fans of ZJK should except it
If his body isn't good enough with it, then that is sports for you.

? liked the philosophy about body and mind tony.

I think they are connected and affect each other. I believe its mostly ZJK's character and hunger for success that has gradually being falling since 2013. He was doubted after wttc 2011 as a firework, and then completed a grand slam. He started to beath ML convincingly in many internal important competitions (trials etc) and even in the super league where he was losing like 10-1 and clinching the super league title.

He was doubted again after losses to takakiwa and chen chien an and many believed that xu xin will crush him in the semifinal (I think XXvs ZJK in pro tours that year was something like 4-0) but we all saw what happened. Even XX said he is clearly better, he was just too explosive for me to handle today.

He proved himself again in 2014 beating ma long both in the trials and in the world cup.

I was about to buy tickets for suzhou in 2015 because my brother lives and works there but I changed my mind and I was happy i didnt go because even watching him from the internet was not the same. Only he knows if the injury against mizutani has affected his mindset (and in general not only that particualar match) but he was just not himself vs fang bo and from then on

He seems tired and trying to steal the matches in 2015-16 without having patience and fighting spirit. Same story vs ma long final he tried to steal the match, no patience no spirit at all plus a devastating Ma Long on the other side of the table and I dont know if I watched ghosts but his body language was very different on the final. Similar to many pro tour matches where he simply played on autopilot

I think his phrase on FB says it all "so far it was for china, in the final I will play for myself" . His plan of stealing the match didnt go as planned, I even said it before the match that I wouldnt be surprised if he loses 4-0 and I still think that even if he won the first two sets against ML, ML was so hungry/focused/patient and most of all with a clear mind adapting to the serve/receive jedi mind tricks of ZJK who likes to win points easily on ML's weaknesses, that ML would won no matter what ZJK did.

Anyway it would be good to see him reignite but I highly doubt he will be even near to the ZJK we knew, if the CNT doesnt let him have a break from TT and recuperate. Wang hao has experienced a similar situation, his fighting spirit was totally broken before 2009 wttc and LGL let him have 1 week break which is ridiculous in the history of CNT. His goals in yokohama was to win the 1st round only, and he ended up crushing everyone. Maybe something similar needs to be done but if his injury is simply impossible to reverse, then its all over . Yet I still enjoyed his crushing 5th set against youngsik, he teached that boy a lesson :p

He paid his debts to LGL and CNT so there is nothing to prove anymore. Besides maybe it will be refreshing to see XX FZD fang bo to shine against ML instead

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I didn't know that player can change in singles competition. Pretty sure he was referring to his nasty slip against JYS.

Being ZJK's opponent sure is terrible. If you won, it's either because he wasn't motivated or injured. If you lose, ZJK was incredible in tight situation. Poor JYS, guess nobody truly sees your ability

JYS played his heart out no doubt, JM also , it was great to see them perform like that. ZJK was injecting cortizone since 2012, in the olympic final he was not 100 %. It is waht tony said about body and mind, beating ma long two times in 2014 (again with injections) with an injury is more than proof that he is worthy, but lets be realistic after a certain point ZJK biased fans should stop making excuses about injuries, if he cant play at his best then it is totally fine he proved himself more than once

He simply does not (or cannot?) move like before . Would love to see him again playing, i dont even care about the pro tours as long as he can play 100 % in important matches, but I doubt that unless some big change occurs both body and mind. Anyway i still ahve hope cause he is my favourite player, but I prefer to see the other 3 top guns shine against ma long instead of watching a tired & bored ZJK playing just to pay his debts. He did that more than once, so lets see how the CNT and himself handle the situation

Reactions: ade14212
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
LGL told us in a TV interview that he did not think ZJK can make it and actually expect him to have an early exit since his form was very bad before OG. ZJK did not get proper training because of interruption of injury and fear of making it worst while ML had all the systematic training according to plan. LGL and ZJK himself knew it best and after first game with ML he pretty much gave up trying and save himself for Team and avoid over stressing his body.

From the ITTF video before the game, when every player said ML is the winner, ZJK hesitate and said "Sorry...I don't know". That is enough said about his confidence. I don't think ZJK had ever expected to beat ML in his situation for real. Double Grand Slam is pretty much a wishful thinking by media propaganda and fans, not ZJK himself I am afraid.

What surprise us all including LGL was that ZJK start off 100% with no reserve from the very first ball against CCA. He was proud to say that he had played better than London except Final. He help China won all medals possible without losing to foreigner. He had completed the mission impossible with no regret. What's done is done. No need to find any excuse for him because he really needs none. :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Read 3 reviews

I am referring to the point 10-7 vs Samsonov, see for yourself what happened before drwawing conclusion. You can't solve chronic problems with injections when it is pretty much ****ed up