Equipment:
      Blade OSP VIRTUOSO (OFF - )
      Forehand Rubber Tenergy 05 FX 2.1
      Backhand Rubber Tenergy 05 FX 2.1

Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 1,448 Times in 796 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboZ View Post
      LGL told us in a TV interview that he did not think ZJK can make it and actually expect him to have an early exit since his form was very bad before OG. ZJK did not get proper training because of interruption of injury and fear of making it worst while ML had all the systematic training according to plan. LGL and ZJK himself knew it best and after first game with ML he pretty much gave up trying and save himself for Team and avoid over stressing his body.

From the ITTF video before the game, when every player said ML is the winner, ZJK hesitate and said "Sorry...I don't know". That is enough said about his confidence. I don't think ZJK had ever expected to beat ML in his situation for real. Double Grand Slam is pretty much a wishful thinking by media propaganda and fans, not ZJK himself I am afraid.

What surprise us all including LGL was that ZJK start off 100% with no reserve from the very first ball against CCA. He was proud to say that he had played better than London except Final. He help China won all medals possible without losing to foreigner. He had completed the mission impossible with no regret. What's done is done. No need to find any excuse for him because he really needs none.
      Thanks a lot for the info about the whole LGL-ZJK situation & very well said about the most clutch player in the history of TT
      I suck real bad so I train to suck less

2. The Following 2 Users Like TTFrenzy's Post:

pong4lyfe (08-21-2016),TurboZ (08-21-2016)

3. Top | #42
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
      Yes, TT is a younf man/woman's game...
      Quote Originally Posted by Archosaurus View Post
      I think it's high time he has a break. It seems hard on him with the injuries.

4. Top | #43
      This user has no status.

TTD Member Country: United States

Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
      Yes, TT is a young man/woman's game. Best to go with dignity now...

5. Top | #44
      says UK Premier Standard Player

Senior TTD Member Country: Great Britain
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Tomokazu Harimoto Innerforce ALC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 Hard
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 757 Times in 374 Posts
      I'm surprised I haven't seen it on here (or if it has been posted, I missed it), but you do realise that ZJK hasn't actually retired?

http://new.ittf.com/2016/08/29/zhang...rt-retirement/

6. Top | #45
      This user has no status.

Equipment Expert
      Elite TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Emerald V Cpen
      Forehand Rubber BH Rasant Grip Red
      Backhand Rubber FH Rasant Powergrip Black

Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 1,202 Times in 483 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NDH View Post
      I'm surprised I haven't seen it on here (or if it has been posted, I missed it), but you do realise that ZJK hasn't actually retired?

http://new.ittf.com/2016/08/29/zhang...rt-retirement/

I certainly hope ZJK can make up his mind and give us something official on this. I remember reading a news article before OG that he was actually considered quitting Rio altogether just 50 days before the game because of his poor form. Later he agreed to go but thinking he had already won every title so win or loss does not matter anymore. But then he realized that if he carry this thought to Rio he may not even get pass the first round. So he made up his mind and aim to fight all his way to Final, for himself and the country. He did that and surprised many.

ZJK indicated that after seeing ML took Grand Slam in Rio, his motivation to play is re-ignited. My take of it is that before ML, ZJK is the only active Grand Slam Champion. So beating any other player does not mean that much to him. He indicated many times that when he play, his body is moving but mind is somewhere else. But now ML is the reigning Grand Slam Champion, the meaning of beating him suddenly become significant. After all ZJK has never meet and beat another Grand Slam Champion before. Whether he can do it with his current condition is questionable, his thought alone is nothing short of noble.

7. Top | #46
      This user has no status.

Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Hadraw VR/Tibhar Akkad
      Forehand Rubber Tibhar MX-K
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar MX-K

Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 12,305 Times in 5,430 Posts
      I certainly hope ZJK can make up his mind and give us something official on this. I remember reading a news article before OG that he was actually considered quitting Rio altogether just 50 days before the game because of his poor form. Later he agreed to go but thinking he had already won every title so win or loss does not matter anymore. But then he realized that if he carry this thought to Rio he may not even get pass the first round. So he made up his mind and aim to fight all his way to Final, for himself and the country. He did that and surprised many.

ZJK indicated that after seeing ML took Grand Slam in Rio, his motivation to play is re-ignited. My take of it is that before ML, ZJK is the only active Grand Slam Champion. So beating any other player does not mean that much to him. He indicated many times that when he play, his body is moving but mind is somewhere else. But now ML is the reigning Grand Slam Champion, the meaning of beating him suddenly become significant. After all ZJK has never meet and beat another Grand Slam Champion before. Whether he can do it with his current condition is questionable, his thought alone is nothing short of noble.
      The thing is that he can rest. He needs to realize that he has a standing place on CNT whenever he wants. He should take about 6 months to get ready and take a long term view. Skip CTTSL if necessary.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

8. The Following 2 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

ttmonster (09-01-2016),TurboZ (09-01-2016)

9. Top | #47
      This user has no status.

Verified Pro Coach
      Master TTD Member Country: South Africa

Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 2,395 Times in 1,288 Posts

Throughout recent CNT history, the grand slam winners always find it difficult to find motivation to play.
      We need to remember these guys are 28 years old now, and they have been training since 5/6 years old.
      Due to CNT system, the body wears and tear more than the European players.
      Competition is fierce and pressure is overwhelming - one is not allowed to loose to non Chinese players - it is a sin.

ZJK's mood to me is very up and down. I think the only thing stopping him is indeed his body.
      Also, he may want to start a life other than just being 100% committed to CNT.

If ML is the only reason why ZJK will play, then I feel ZJK will start to fade away. When ZJK beat ML, then whats next for him?

And most importantly, ZJK to me is not a selfish person>
      He knows very well how important an Olympic cycle is and getting the next champion ready.
      He may continue to take part but move towards more of a leader/mentor than oppose to player.
      Closer towards 2020 (when he is 30+) he will retire
      Last edited by Tony's Table Tennis; 09-01-2016 at 09:31 PM.
      BYE BYE

10. The Following 4 Users Like Tony's Table Tennis's Post:

anchorschmidt (09-02-2016),Suga D (09-04-2016),TTFrenzy (09-02-2016),TurboZ (09-01-2016)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123