Zhang Jike Will Retire After Rio Olympics 2016!

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
There are reports circulating around the Chinese media and in particular one in which Zhang Jike said in an chat room (Chinese Media qq Sports quote) with fans after the Rio Olympic team event that he will retire when the team land in Beijing after Rio! Online users in China are talking about it here as reported by qqsports.com: https://view.inews.qq.com/a/BCP2016081804976005?

Zhang Jike has had on going injuries with his shoulder and particularly his back at the Rio Olympics. At just 28 years of age is this to young to retire? It has been a pleasure watching Zhang Jike over the last 10 years, my favorite player of all time!

zhangjikeretire2016.jpg

Some of Zhang Jike's best moments:

What do you think about Zhang Jike retiring? To soon for us?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I am not a fan of him, although I admire his skills. Anyway since 2 years he is very inconsistent. It can be caused by injuries or his attitude. The competition among younger players if very high. So it will be very difficult for him to compete in high level especially that he is very good only when he is fast close to the table. That demands very good body shape which can be devastating for his back.

Reactions: dirtyD
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think it is the right time to retire. I kind of thought he might do that. I think that is where he is: based on his shoulder and back injuries which keep flaring up. Great player. But I think he has been fading since 2012. Which is sort of sad based on his age.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Last edited:

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
LGL has retired already as as LXX I hear. It will be interesting to see whether and when Ma Long will retire too as I think no one wants to be a victim of the FZD train.

Ma Longs journey has just begun NL! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
With Olympic cycle and from what I saw since 2000
ZJK is for sure to retire, as he will not be in 2020 plans for sure.
Ma Long may stay be in there as the "experience" player - and in fact, this is the only reason why ZJK played, as he was the only experience olympic player in the line up.
So it is XX vs FZD in my view

LXX is gone already, DN will likely stay too, LSW may miss out again as there is ZYL that is progressing very well

What this space (in 4 years time) :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
He's about 27/28. Your journey in China is almost ending at that age!

Sorry but did you guys miss the Olympics?? Ma Long was soooo good that his matches were almost boring and kinda hard to watch. Can't even imagine being a world class player ranked above the top 20 and getting my ass whooped so hard.

Sorry for the intense sarcasm but Ma Long seems to be far and away the best player of this decade and possibly in contention with J.O. for G.O.A.T. He took the Olympics by storm and no one could touch him.

Look at the rest of his wins throughout the year and 2015. Apparently no one else has won and held all the events that he is currently holding AT THE SAME TIME. WTTC, World Cup, ITTF World Series, Olympics, ect.

"From June 2009 until present Ma Long has ranked as #1 or #2 in the world for 76 of 86 months, making him the most dominant and consistent player on the ITTF World Tour during this time period." He has held the #1 spot long enough that only Wang Liqin has more months holding it consecutively than him and judging by all his recent performances, that 'title' is up for contention.

Ma Long has shown no signs of slowing down so it's absolutely unreasonable to think he will just retire. Almost as illogical as that one post about the match fixing for rio. Like it literally had no evidence supporting it but for some reason still sparked a debate. Until Ma Long begins to falter, only then will I begin to believe Ma Longs era of dominance is over

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
On a different not, knowing LGL , I think he will negotiate a deal with ZJK. He will let ZJK take a prolonged break and then let him try to make a comeback atleast for a couple of years. I think they hit the sweet spot in terms of transition with way things were handed over from WLQ and Ma Lin to the next generation.

Lets say FZD is the next Ma Long . Where is the next ZJK and Xu Xin ... I know the real Xu Xin is around we have to admit he is almost about to miss the bus unless he turns things around in the next year and beats Ma Long in a couple of Major finals, infact I had high hopes for Xu Xin seeing how he unleashed his backhand in Japan open . But his performance against Jun was a damp squib ...

... and I don't think ZJK can make this decision ... he will make his case saying that I have put my blood and sweat out there for the country , let me go , but how can we be sure that LGL and Cai will agree ... did any of you see them watching the Badminton Semis ... they are two in a pod ...

Reactions: ping fun
Oct 2015
Will be a loss for the whole table tennis world, if Zhangjike retires. Even he is not that old, the back injury destroies him:(

He is the Chinese version of Maze, we need some personality in this sport :)

We will see what he is going to do after go back to China after Rio, What does the whole China team need from him?

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
It has been frustrating to watch ZJK in the past two years. No motivation and hindered by injuries. He should have stopped two years ago. His legacy would have been stronger then. Now it is tarnished because he was rolled over by ML (and to some degree FZD and XX, who should have been selected over him for Rio).

ML is so dominant...he will stay until after Tokyo. It will be interesting to see who will be phased in as the 4th player. Yan An? Fang Bo? A third one? I hope Fang Bo gets the "promotion".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Hearing this news really made me sad . He's just 28 . I m he's BIG fAN and I REALLY WANT HIM TO PLAY AGAIN . all he need is resting , he had a very bad injury . I hope liu wont let him to retire , I guess LXX 's retiredment made zjk more eager for this decision ,, but its not official and just a chat . he made table tennis more beautiful ,he was soooo motivated in team competition ,,, but i guess his decision wont be accepted by xiao zhan ;cai and more important than these LIU GUOLIANG ...

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
Sorry but did you guys miss the Olympics?? Ma Long was soooo good that his matches were almost boring and kinda hard to watch. Can't even imagine being a world class player ranked above the top 20 and getting my ass whooped so hard.

Sorry for the intense sarcasm but Ma Long seems to be far and away the best player of this decade and possibly in contention with J.O. for G.O.A.T. He took the Olympics by storm and no one could touch him.

Look at the rest of his wins throughout the year and 2015. Apparently no one else has won and held all the events that he is currently holding AT THE SAME TIME. WTTC, World Cup, ITTF World Series, Olympics, ect.

"From June 2009 until present Ma Long has ranked as #1 or #2 in the world for 76 of 86 months, making him the most dominant and consistent player on the ITTF World Tour during this time period." He has held the #1 spot long enough that only Wang Liqin has more months holding it consecutively than him and judging by all his recent performances, that 'title' is up for contention.

Ma Long has shown no signs of slowing down so it's absolutely unreasonable to think he will just retire. Almost as illogical as that one post about the match fixing for rio. Like it literally had no evidence supporting it but for some reason still sparked a debate. Until Ma Long begins to falter, only then will I begin to believe Ma Longs era of dominance is over

100% agree...ZJK has passed his prime, but ML is at the top of his prime. FZD still up and coming but there isn't anyone else on the CNT that has FZD's potential. ML won't retire until he's no longer viable to the team.

Reactions: matzreenzi