Ovtcharov and Boll interview before the Rio Olympics 2016

This user has no status.
Reference source of article

"Arguing? We? Never! There was no reason ever.“

bolldimabeforerio2016.jpg

Timo Boll and Dimitrij Ovtcharov - Via: Bernd Thissen / picture alliance / dpa

The table tennis star Timo Boll and Dimitrij Ovtcharov are good friends despite tough competition. Now they want to win gold together.

Dusseldorf. We meet European table tennis champion Dimitri Ovtcharov (27) and his predecessor Timo Boll (35) in the final period of the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in the DTTZ . Both are in high spirits; they want to win nothing less then the gold medal in the team event. A discussion about a close friendship amongst tough rivals, seemingly unbeatable Chinese and the perfect day.

Mr. Boll, are you sometimes a little envious of Dimitrij?

Timo Boll: I would like to be so young again but there is no other reason? Why?

Because he has the Olympic singels medal, you want so much!

Boll: Oh – he earned that. I am still struggling. Of course, it is not easy, but hope always dies last.

And you, Mr. Ovtcharov do you envy Timo for something?

Dimitrij Ovtcharov: For a lot of stuff. For instance his gifted talent. Also his incredible calmness You can have a fight to the death, against Timo and then there is the decision in the seventh set 12:10 , in the one or other direction. Some people need days or weeks to handle this. While you can easily chat with Timo five minutes later, along the lines of: Yes, that was a good match , I've done my best. But then he is done. I admire the calmness he owns. I could tell so many stories.

"Timo has broken all records in Europe"

We encourage you to do so!

Ovtcharov: Timo has achieved so much, most table tennis players like myself dream about that , even other athletes. He was the world number 1, has broken all records in Europe, won world tournaments like the World Cup and the Grand Finals . Over so many, I think 15 years beeing on top of his game without huge slip ups, that's insane.

When and where did you meet for the first time - as competitors at the table tennis table?

Ovtcharov: I remember it, it was 2006 when we trained together on a training course for the World Cup near Wolfsburg. That was something very special for me. Can you even remember, Timo?

Boll: Haha, funny, I can remember an incident before the event. In a show tour, the Suchanek tour you won against Matthew Syed, an English top player.

Ovtcharov (stunned): Oh, yes, you are right!

Boll: You were younger, maybe 14 years old. At these events Matthew and I always played a show match at different locations , after that there always was a match with a local hero. In Hannover Dima was the choosen one. But you won against Matthew straight away. That was my first memory of Dima. Matthew was really not amused.

So your first impression was: quite positive. And how was yours, Mr. Ovtcharov?

Ovtcharov: When I was still young Timo received me warmly and continued to accompany me in the national team. 2007 were my first European Championships , Timo always had a very calming attitude. He gave me a lot of confidence for the team which I could repay. Then we played against each other in singlea event. That was a very special experience. We trained a lot together at this point in time, I often was at his home .

It is said that in Timo Boll house there always is a bed freshly made for you , if you have the time to come over to train ...

Ovtcharov: ... exactly. Of Course I had a lot more benefits from this training, because Timo was much better at this point in time.

"For me it helped to continue to play at a high level"

Didn t this positive feeling change, as it became increasingly clear that you would dispute the number one status of the top dog?

Ovtcharov: Not at all. Timo is realistic, very calm in his own way. And if one is getting older and sees that there is someone trying really hard and not too bad, it's normal that at some point in time he probably surpasses you. Probably it would have been different if we were the same age and Timo would have been at the absolut top of his game.

Mr. Boll why didn t you defend your territory much more?

Boll: I've seen as a profit for me that Dima was so good and we were able to prepare ourselves together for the big tournaments. It helped me, to play at a high level and I was able to continue to develop my game. I have not seen him as a competitor, we were super friends even away from table tennis. And in the hall we were partners who pushed each other. You need this high level in training to be able to improve ourself.

Mr. Ovtcharov, you are a great statistician, so you probably know the head to head statistics against Timo?

Ovtcharov: Whew, we played against each other so often, I do not know. It must be balanced. Initially I lost most of the matches, but recently I won more often (he brings his phone out of his pocket).

Mr. Boll, What was the feeling when you noticed He is going to pass me?

Boll: You could feel how Dima developed. He was good very early. He then again made a huge leap before 2008. I also noticed it during training. Previously I won almost always , in that phase, that wasn t the chase. So I already knew what's going to happen.

Nevertheless, it was not until 2012, 2013, that he has you replaced as German number one, after more than ten years.

Ovtcharov: Yes, but it was really difficult! I mean Timo was the number one in Europe for about ten years. That shows his consistency. I posses this position for over three years now. It is a difficult step to surpass such a strong player.

„In about 50 internationals games we lost only four times“

Was it a liberating feeling?

Ovtcharov: I was just proud. I didn t take over from any random cookie-cutter player, but the one who has been the number one in Europe for ten years straight. You feel proud because you managed to do that.

Are there events that particularly pulled together the national team?

Ovtcharov: We prepared very intensively together for the Olympics. So when both our dream became true with reaching the final of the team event, that really pulled us together. Form 2007 to 2014 in perhaps 50 international games we only lost four times to China, which is a special and consistent performance over a long period of time.

Was 2008 particularly emotional? When it became clear, you are in the final against China?

Ovtcharov (puts his smartphone triumphantly aside): 5: 4 for me in direct comparison at international competitions! But we also played more often against each other in the Club, the overall balance is significantly higher. The match against Japan: I can still remember, the moment I watched Timo playing, that was painful. Madness.. High tension.

Has your friendship deepened? How do you live this friendship?

Boll: We were already good friends. This was not a particular trigger, but a special moment you always experienced together. There aren t many moments like this in life. A Do-you-remember-story.

You are particularly different types of persons. Timo is the impersonation of calmness and a enormous talent. In comparison Dima is very emotional, rather impatient and a so-called „Fleißspieler“ ( TL: hard worker in terms of Training). Why are you getting along so well?

Ovtcharov: Spouses are also often very different from each other. And are married to the day they die. We don t need to be the same, in order to understand each other. It is the same deal with friendships .

But you did have an argument right? It happens in the best friendships. And in marriages ...

Boll: We? Nope. There was no reason ever. You rather should have an interview with the woman´s team (both laugh).

„Timo gave me the feeling that , he is not jealous of my success“

There is an example from the German Tennis, Becker / stitch - who did not do well together but in 1992 joined forces for their mutual dream of Olympic gold medal in public, showed themselfs as friends and actually won gold in doubles. Afterwards they parted their ways. Do you think a community of purpose like that is possible for you ?

Ovtcharov: I think these are individuals in the table tennis and also in other sports, who are extremely fixed , on their own success. Don t handle the success of other athlets well. Which is an so extraordinary trait of Timo. I could sense from the beginning that he has granted me my success. Which is unusual in sports.

So you would grant each other: a medal, if possible, the golden, in Rio. What needs to happen for it?

Ovcharov: Against China we never quite make it, in 2010 at the World Championships in Moscow and 2012 at the Olympic Games in London, but we were close. We all need to play over our limit in order to defeat them.

However you are still aiming for victory against China in the olympics?

Ovtcharov: We certainly do not travel to Rio, as we traveled to Beijing. Since reaching the final was as if we already crossed the finish line. The next day was not about winning but enyoing beeing part of the event. That I was at the limit of my imagination. Timo had beat the Chinese a few times before 2008 ,meanwhile I managed to do the same. Of course, you lose much more often, but at least one has the belief that it is possible. Once everything comes together, it is possible.
What is the difference between you and the legendary Swede Waldner and Persson? They managed to beat the Chinese serveral years.

Boll: Weaker Chinese opponents. Also! In any case. The genration of Karlsson was super strong ...

Ovtcharov ... Appelgren, Lindh - that pushes the whole group. If we still have such players! Then one xan omprove much faster and much earlier. Maybe we might have reached an even higher level.

„Playing table tennis isn t depending on medals for me“

China can even afford to withdraw the world number two form the olympic team!

Boll: That makes it a bit more interesting. Although Zhang Jike is the reigning Olympic champion, but didn t perform like an Olympic champion the last two years. Whether the decision for him was right , we will see in Rio.
If it does not work out in Rio, Mr. Boll, is there another shot in Tokyo in 2020?

Boll:Wait a Moment: When something goes wrong?
Well, a singles medal or gold in the team competition.

Boll: Playing table tennis is a lot of fun.. I don t dependent on a medal. The condition of my body and the pleasure is most important.

Jörgen Persson reached the semifinals with 40 in Beijing. You would be 39 in Tokyo.

Boll: It is certainly not unrealistic that I'll appear there again.

And what are the odds now in Rio?

Ovtcharov:It depends on the draw, luck, preparation, form on the day and the conditions in Rio. I think everything is possible, from first to last place.

Boll: You have to have a good start, do well at the first match, then you quickly get a feeling how far you can progress or not. The chance of a medal in singles is realistic. Everything must fit perfectly.
What would be the perfect finale for you? A 3: 0 against China? Or rather, a 3: 2?

Boll: Oh, a 3: 2 would be beautiful!

Ovtcharov: I think each victory is fun , the result does not matter at all.

TL-Note: This translation was a huge 10 hours struggle for me because they use a lot of common speech. I hope you can still enjoy the interview. If you like leave a comment on how or where I can still improve.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Great stuff.

I think it is becoming clearer and clearer that that the Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Xu Xin generation is special. It seems like there is a big gap after FZD (FB? YA? LJK? YZY? LGY?) so it might be an opportunity for other countries. That said, Germany will need Franziska to make a good jump. It seems weird but the country that looks like it is in prime position in Europe is dare I say it... England! Of course, Japan and Korea are also ready to ambush. LGL might have chosen the perfect time to retire.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Thanks for your effort, I enjoyed reading the interview.
Both players seem to be very humble, and such nice guys.
NL, love your comment about England being the next superpower in TT, can't wait!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
This china generation is by far way better than previous ones, i mean any generation tbh. I love waldner and persson and liu gouliang and wang li qin, and many other chinese and european players from previous generations, but there was never such a high level of technique and physical conditioning as ma long, xu xin, FZD, ZJK, etc. So yea Timo is totally right.

I wish there were other questions asked about their opinions on chinese techniques and equipment differences, about what they think they are missing in their own gameplay to improve in order to beat the chinese or at least to be closer, etc.