Ask Vladimir Samsonov a question on the TTD podcast!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hi everyone,

One of our next guests on the TableTennisDaily Podcast is world number 8 Vladimir Samsonov! Samsonov has had an extraordinary season finishing 4th in the Rio Olympics and even taking sets off Ma Long. Samsonov from Belarus has the record for being inside the top 10 World Rankings longer than anyone in the history of table tennis! Vladi is a World Cup Winner, World Tour Winner (x26), World Tour Grand Finals Winner, European Champion, Europe Top 12 Champion, World Championship runner up and 4th place in the Olympics.

Samsonov's known for his unique style of play and gracious sportsmanship. We are looking forward to having him on the show.

Simply submit your question below! We will do our best to feature your question in the podcast!

vladimirsamsonov2016podcast.jpg

Vladimir Samsonov - Photo by: ITTF Flickr

This user has no status.
Hey guys so awesome that you are getting Vlad on the podcast, well done!

My question is: What deos Vlad think the score would be between himself now versus his mid to late 90s self or the period in his career when he felt he was playing his best?

I would also like to hear his thoughts on:
-his take on the final
-how has Mizutani taken his play to a seemingly different level
-what the rest of the world would need to do to catch up to China
-his feelings on FZD not making the olympics
-the infamous Chinese blue sponge FH rubbers
-what does Dima need to do to challenge the Chinese and does Timo still have it
-his TT heroes

thats all I can think of right now.

Thanks guys!

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Vladi, do you think that it is possible to play top level pro TT for players in thier 40's? Do you feel that you are that much slower, or a worse player than you were in your 20's? and finally, why do the Chinese never play much over the age of 30?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
First off all , we want Vladi to stick around as long as he can ! In this day and age of power table tennis , the game and the up and coming kids need to see the style he plays to realize that there are other ways of winning points in table tennis ...

Question : How did he develop his unique style ? How does he prepare for his matches , does he study video or make notes after his matches to remember the strengths and weaknesses of his opponents ? How does he go about coaching himself during the matches ?

Reactions: ronz91
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Vladimir, you are one of my top 3 all time favorite players. I wanted to ask how you have been able to maintain your level of play over the course of 3 decades. Are there any things you think that have helped contribute to your being able to maintain such a high level of play for so long?

Your touch and your control are awesome and beautiful to watch. Do you have any tips to help someone work on and improve these fundamental skillz?

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Big Samsonov fan here!

1. You used to play the forehand reverse sidespin service, why did you stop using it?
(video at 10:14)

2. What question do people/fans ask you the most and should we stop asking? :p

3. Which chinese player was/is the hardest to play against and why?

4. You were already world number 1 in 1997 at the age of 21. Was it mentally tough to play when the expectations were that you would win against everyone?

5. Does it ever annoy you when players scream 'Cho!' ?

6. The 2001 world cup and the 2003 european championships were both played in Courmayeur, Italy. You won the world cup beating Wang Liqin 4-0 in the final, the european men's singles championships and the team championships with Belarus. (never lost there) Is that your favourite table tennis place? :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Vladimir I am a very big fan of you.

I am very sad you could not make a medal this time. You were so close and I guess that dream of getting one was very important for your daily motivation.

Will you be able to keep the energy to continue or do you think it's time to retire now ?

Regarding your match with ZJK how would you compare your performance to London ???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Have you ever wanted to use Tenergy 05 because you didn't like your rubbers?

Are you happy with the current state of serves and service rules in professional table tennis?

What do you think of the practice of players marketing blades they never use?

Who do you think is the most talented player you have ever played against?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
What changes to your game have you conciously made to accomodate getting older?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
What do you think of the practice of players marketing blades they never use?

Ooooooh man. I really want him to answer that one.

My question -

Does he have a portrait of himself in his attic which gets worse at TT each year while he remains amazing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Ha ha .. great one ... But he is not a bohemian table tennis player, he is not leading a "sinful" life like mr. grey :p
Ooooooh man. I really want him to answer that one.

My question -

Does he have a portrait of himself in his attic which gets worse at TT each year while he remains amazing?

Reactions: AndySmith
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
First I just love watching your game.

I think you record for being in the top 10 ten is one of the most amazing accomplishments in table tennis. Would love to here how your game and strategy has changed in order to keep such a high level of play for so long.
Second your pretty tall for a top level player. I would be interested to here your thoughts on how this has factored into the development of your game and style of play. What have you seen as the pro's and maybe con's of your height.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
1: You've had such an long amazing career with many great wins and trophys. Which wins (matches or tournaments) would you call your best victories? And which are your worst losses?

2: How would you say that table tennis has changed technically and tactically over the last 20 years? (please don't just say that it has become faster and more physical... ;))

3: You've experienced many ITTF rule changes during your career. How do you feel about them? Which have been good and which have been bad?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Do you review your own matches on video? If so, what are you looking for? How much do you study your opponent's tape?

Do you mind playing at poorly attended ITTF tour events? Was Rio better in this regard, with what looked like rather full (and noisy) spectator stands?

As you look at amateur play, what is the first thing that typically comes to you mind: "If only they did X, it would greatly improve their game!"

What do you think can be done to improve TT popularity?