Are these fake rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
So I went shopping online to make a custom bat for the first time ever and tried to find some cheap but good rubbers. I found these Mark V's coming from China for 10 bucks and thought it was a snag. I bought four sheets of rubber from the same store but the rubbers are actually two different prices.

As its my first time shopping for TT, I was a little too naive and foolishly thought that they are cheap because its from China rather than the fact that they could be fakes. My friend said I just got jipped and thats when I realized that its a very popular thing to scam tabe tennis customers for money in China.

Do you guys think these are fakes just from the website?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...2710560901.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.30.nhiRDV

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Whol...2710045257.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.59.jnIGf3

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Look fake to me. The one with plastic covering on top of Mark V is certainly fake as Mark V doesn't come with a protective covering on top. The other one also looks funny because of the stamp on the sponge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Fakes for sure. The price of genuine TT products of import is no difference or even higher comparing to other countries so it is not worth it buying there. It is only feasible to buy China brands in China or price are seriously pump up oversea. But still you need to be extra careful and check what other products the seller is selling. If you sense anything suspiciously priced, steer away.

Have you ever seen a white sponge Bluefire?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Doni...id=36fc33cf-e565-4663-b143-2bec11ec048b&tpp=1

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If our website sold a green Tenergy for USD $15, I would get a visit from the Goon Squad as fast as the speed of Delta Airlines nonstop flight.

Anyone who wants a fake for twice the price of XP 2008, which is 5x better performance than the fake is asking for it.

I say that as a distributor who sells cheapest inverted rubber at $20ish price range.

Reactions: Ivelin Georgiev
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
If our website sold a green Tenergy for USD $15, I would get a visit from the Goon Squad as fast as the speed of Delta Airlines nonstop flight.

Anyone who wants a fake for twice the price of XP 2008, which is 5x better performance than the fake is asking for it.

I say that as a distributor who sells cheapest inverted rubber at $20ish price range.

You mean where delta pooped itself and stopped all flights? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
@shiro, you are 99% wrong on AliExpress. Not everything there is fake. Butterfly products (along with a few others) that have great prices are fakes. Others are legit.

Let me prove it. There is one vendor there (GH Sports) that is the same company as Echeng. Many here will attest Echeng is a reputable company with their own line (61 second). And there are other reputable dealers.

A blanketed statement like yours would be similar if I suggested that all on-line college courses are fake. Not all are, it depends on the school. And within that school, there are some teachers better than others.

'Caveat Emptor' buyer beware when buying online. AliExpress has some genuine items at good prices. I would bet most if not all Yinhe products there are genuine (some may be seconds, some export quality).

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayeez
This user has no status.
@shuki, you are 99% wrong on AliExpress. Not everything there is fake. Butterfly products (along with a few others) that have great prices are fakes. Others are legit.

Let me prove it. There is one vendor there (GH Sports) that is the same company as Echeng. Many here will attest Echeng is a reputable company with their own line (61 second). And there are other reputable dealers.

A blanketed statement like yours would be similar if I suggested that all on-line college courses are fake. Not all are, it depends on the school. And within that school, there are some teachers better than others.

'Caveat Emptor' buyer beware when buying online. AliExpress has some genuine items at good prices. I would bet most if not all Yinhe products there are genuine (some may be seconds, some export quality).

Hey, that was actually Shiro, don't confuse them ;)

Talking about AliExpress, let's mention first that NOT they sell all the stuff, but the sellers which have registered on the site - the principle is close to the one of eBay and there are a lot of fakes even on ebay. I agree that the chinese stuff they sell there seems legit, but I would never buy Butterfly, Donic, Yasaka, etc. from Aliexpress, I wouldn't even buy chinese stuff from there without having some reviews confirming that the product is legit, especially when there are some trustworthy online stores focused exclusively on table tennis, which have good prices and ship worldwide.

It's sad that people continue to buy fakes, there has already been so much talk on how to avoid them...

@shuki, you are 99% wrong on AliExpress. Not everything there is fake. Butterfly products (along with a few others) that have great prices are fakes. Others are legit.

Last time I changed my rubbers, I bought them from this same vendor on aliexpress, GH Sports, very reliable, and the chinese rubbers that I bought (Friendship) were all legit. Trustful vendor, nothing to complain about.

Now, buying some way more expensive, brand rubbers for 15 or 20 dollars... no way :p

Reactions: Rayeez
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So I went shopping online to make a custom bat for the first time ever and tried to find some cheap but good rubbers. I found these Mark V's coming from China for 10 bucks and thought it was a snag. I bought four sheets of rubber from the same store but the rubbers are actually two different prices.

As its my first time shopping for TT, I was a little too naive and foolishly thought that they are cheap because its from China rather than the fact that they could be fakes. My friend said I just got jipped and thats when I realized that its a very popular thing to scam tabe tennis customers for money in China.

Do you guys think these are fakes just from the website?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...2710560901.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.30.nhiRDV

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Whol...2710045257.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.59.jnIGf3

Even though they are fake as has been said by everyone, how do they play? Are the acceptable enough for you to use them. Sometimes the fake rubber are not so good but are still usable.

But Der_Echte is right, if you want an inexpensive rubber that is good, buy Dawei 2008XP. It is an $8.00 Chinese rubber that plays fairly decently.

And....Lesson learned. You may have learned the hard way. But you now know that when a product online looks like it is 70% off of the original price and is said to be new, it is probably fake.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Even though they are fake as has been said by everyone, how do they play? Are the acceptable enough for you to use them. Sometimes the fake rubber are not so good but are still usable.

But Der_Echte is right, if you want an inexpensive rubber that is good, buy Dawei 2008XP. It is an $8.00 Chinese rubber that plays fairly decently.

And....Lesson learned. You may have learned the hard way. But you now know that when a product online looks like it is 70% off of the original price and is said to be new, it is probably fake.

First of all, I cant tell how they play very well. Im still new and thus might be missing my shots more because my technique isnt completely ingrained. Im not sure as I can be pretty inconsistent ;PP

Also I really really really appreciate the Dawei rec, Carl and Der_Echte! It fits very very nicely inside my budget range lol and is probably gonna be a good enough quality that I can continue buying them for a while until I advance onto faster rubbers in a year or two. So thanks both you!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
there are several legit dealers on Ali express. Not where I would get most of my things but somethings are ok. no doubt you must be smart /careful. Best thing to do is read several reviews not only on the product you are interested in but from others stores items. Again be smart, why would you by a euro made Product from a Chinese provider? items made in Europe don't automatically become cheaper when they touch Chinese soil, that's not how economics work. But there are lots of good inexpensive Chinese products. Something like Hrt clipper clone for 16 dollars is a good deal. After getting a good provider I even picked up a few Dhs rubbers with out a problem (no national ones just the regs) and I love the two 999t sheets deal for 10 bucks that I see. Pretty good Chinese rubber I usually keep these around, I end up giving them to people often. Once you fine and an honest store you can repeat business there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@ahmad. think of it this way, any of the expensive brands (European or Japanese or high end Chinese) can be cloned (with inexpensive materials) and sold cheap.

But, if you look for an inexpensive brand (ie Yinhe) it's more than likely an original. And Yinhe plays well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I know shoppers always want to pay the cheapest.
Also, if all sales goes to one country, have you ever thought of the consequences it will do to table tennis in your own country?
It is just like if your country don't have any more "table tennis" taxes to invest back into the sport.

In many cases, the local authorised dealers are also the bread and butter for many local clubs and players.
It would only make sense if there was some form of local loyalty as we really need table tennis people to support table tennis people

But back on the subject - if the price is too cheap/too good to be true, then don't be surprised if there is something wrong with it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
First of all, I cant tell how they play very well. Im still new and thus might be missing my shots more because my technique isnt completely ingrained. Im not sure as I can be pretty inconsistent ;PP

Also I really really really appreciate the Dawei rec, Carl and Der_Echte! It fits very very nicely inside my budget range lol and is probably gonna be a good enough quality that I can continue buying them for a while until I advance onto faster rubbers in a year or two. So thanks both you!!

www.colestt.com and www.zeropong.com distribute Chinese rubbers in USA. Cole ships huge orders that can fit inside a med. flat rate box for $5 USD... and he can fit a LOT inside one of those boxes.

XP2008 oxidizes kinda rapidly, but the rubber stays serviceable a LONG time, non-tacky after the initial tack wears off, simple a middle of the road firmish control rubber. An outstanding choice for budget minded players starting out before they discover the EJ world.

This user has no status.
So getting a bunch of xp2008's of aliexpress (as none of my regular shops holds dawei) for something like $8 is fine? (All offers on this rubber seems to land in the 70sek ballpark..

How does theese hold up to lets say Rakza 7 (yeah, i know.. But thtas what ive been playing for a year now, an the blades keep stacking up, have to ship some to Carl just to manage space!)

;)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl