Votes: 4 9.5%
  • No, Liu should remain as head coach

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Its time for a new coach

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I am not to sure

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
I believe the Men's head coach will be either Ma Lin, Wang Hao or Wang Liqin. Wang Liqin seems to be the best candidate in my opinion, seeing as the majority of players are now using the shakehand grip. Keep in mind that Wang Liqin was also a 3 time world champion, nearly 4, and always performed well at big events. It also seems like he is the only one who is constantly watching them. I've seen him many times at different events after his retirement. I believe he was at Rio as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I don't think it will be his decision. Remember that Cai Zhenhua was the head coach, but was drafted into the sports administration of China. He is now the deputy Director of State General Administration of Sports. This path could have been selected for LGL as well.

It is no different as the west
He must accept the decision/job offer.
Some how your statement feels like a military command and that LGL is force to accept it.

LGL can choose to decline too, but as every country is, all decisions are also made with political backgrounds, LGL will for sure be looked after, after exiting his job inside CNT

This user has no status.
Why can you assume that a good player is also a good coach? I mean most coaches in football(soccer) were not great players and are way better at coaching than their players.

Are good tabletennis players good coaches because the sport heavily relies on an analytic mind? Or is it enough to have been taught to be a top 4 player of the world that you can teach it to others as well like in the old times where a master of his trade will learn his student to become a master as well?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You are right table tennis is too technical for people who have not lived the life .... look at the top coaches in table tennis ... how many do you see who where not pros at some time , I think the number is closer to zero ...
Another way to say it is , unless you have done it yourself , you won't be able to see the subtleties at the top level ...

Why can you assume that a good player is also a good coach? I mean most coaches in football(soccer) were not great players and are way better at coaching than their players.

Are good tabletennis players good coaches because the sport heavily relies on an analytic mind? Or is it enough to have been taught to be a top 4 player of the world that you can teach it to others as well like in the old times where a master of his trade will learn his student to become a master as well?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

It's largely the nature of table tennis.

Reactions: ttmonster
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are right table tennis is too technical for people who have not lived the life .... look at the top coaches in table tennis ... how many do you see who where not pros at some time , I think the number is closer to zero ...
Another way to say it is , unless you have done it yourself , you won't be able to see the subtleties at the top level ...

I think you have put your finger on the actual issue. There is so much that is so subtle that happens in TT that someone who isn't high enough level just can't really understand some of the things that are going on with some of the guys who are playing at the top levels.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

You raise a very good point.
This is what makes table tennis so difficult and so special. It is a football match with your tacticians
It is your "speed chess" with decisions required to be made in a split second
It is your racket sport - where whole body movement, technique, endurance etc comes into play

For one to make it to the top level as a player - requires one to master all of the above.
For one to become a world champion from China, requires to go through a good 20+ years of hardship and defeats the odds with the amount of pressure and discipline from a huge pool of competitors and political challenges.
It is not uncommon that Chinese players require to make more sacrifices to succeed than oppose to other countries.

As the Chinese playing and coaching cycle being very "young"
player retire at 30, coaches retire at 40 odd
This has been the current formula of making sure that the coaching staff is young and up to date with the game itself.
The rules are forever changing, and with 40+ we have already seen a different preparation in training methodology and I gather it is because there is young coaches who are driving the change, than compared to your older coaches which could be more "traditional"

My answer to your question, is 99% of the time, this formula will work.
Whats nice in CNT part is that it is not 1 coach, but rather a whole team of coaching staff and sport sciences, medial team, trainers etc so this is why CNT is so strong. It is not a one man show

This user has no status.
You raise a very good point.
This is what makes table tennis so difficult and so special. It is a football match with your tacticians
It is your "speed chess" with decisions required to be made in a split second
It is your racket sport - where whole body movement, technique, endurance etc comes into play

For one to make it to the top level as a player - requires one to master all of the above.
For one to become a world champion from China, requires to go through a good 20+ years of hardship and defeats the odds with the amount of pressure and discipline from a huge pool of competitors and political challenges.
It is not uncommon that Chinese players require to make more sacrifices to succeed than oppose to other countries.

As the Chinese playing and coaching cycle being very "young"
player retire at 30, coaches retire at 40 odd
This has been the current formula of making sure that the coaching staff is young and up to date with the game itself.
The rules are forever changing, and with 40+ we have already seen a different preparation in training methodology and I gather it is because there is young coaches who are driving the change, than compared to your older coaches which could be more "traditional"

My answer to your question, is 99% of the time, this formula will work.
Whats nice in CNT part is that it is not 1 coach, but rather a whole team of coaching staff and sport sciences, medial team, trainers etc so this is why CNT is so strong. It is not a one man show

Thank you for your insight on such an interestig topic.

I have to note one thing tough, my analogy to a football trainer is pretty dumb actually. Football is a team-sport and table tennis is an individual sport. I guess an analogy to tennis would be much better. But there it's pretty mixed. Top of the world players who became coaches and others who were not very successfull on the world stage are world class coaches as well. It may be that technique is less and tactics is more important in tennis than in table tennis.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thank you for your insight on such an interestig topic.

I have to note one thing tough, my analogy to a football trainer is pretty dumb actually. Football is a team-sport and table tennis is an individual sport. I guess an analogy to tennis would be much better. But there it's pretty mixed. Top of the world players who became coaches and others who were not very successfull on the world stage are world class coaches as well. It may be that technique is less and tactics is more important in tennis than in table tennis.

Well, table tennis by far imo is a lot more complicated sport than football.
Yes team vs individual does have a huge different.
Team can always win by strategy or tactics, but not in table tennis.

There is so many factors in table tennis and from CNT coaching vs players comparison, it is not just about technique, but a huge part is mental part of the game.
A 0.1% increase in the mental depart,emt can cause the player to win from loosing.
This is why CNT focus so much on mental training compared to other countries.

Anyways, coming back to the coaching role, the Head Coach needs to go through this as a soldier for him/her to become the leader. A leader where the new soldier will respect and follow

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Well, table tennis by far imo is a lot more complicated sport than football.
Yes team vs individual does have a huge different.
Team can always win by strategy or tactics, but not in table tennis.

There is so many factors in table tennis and from CNT coaching vs players comparison, it is not just about technique, but a huge part is mental part of the game.
A 0.1% increase in the mental depart,emt can cause the player to win from loosing.
This is why CNT focus so much on mental training compared to other countries.

Anyways, coming back to the coaching role, the Head Coach needs to go through this as a soldier for him/her to become the leader. A leader where the new soldier will respect and follow

Wow you have a lot of insight to this whole coaching stuff of the chinese. How do you get to know such things?

Well, Liu Guoliang looks like the right man for the right job in my eyes. As for his successor, I don't feel like that none of Wang Liqin, Ma Lin or Wang Hao have that Godfather-esque charisma that Liu Guoliang has. Well that sounds a bit exaggerated, but I hope you get what I mean.

Maybe they develop that when they become the lead coach. My best bet, when I focus on that, is Wang Hao. He has a special energy/strength in his appearance. But what do I know. Maybe Wang Liqin is the best guy for the job because he already heavily influenced the sport in the past with his playing style. The ability to do that might help him to further develop the CNT players to become even better.

But what do you guys think? If the headcoach retires at 40 years old, then Wang Liqin would be head coach for only 2 years, Ma Lin for 4 and Wang Hao for 8. I think 2 years is too short for a head coach to be effective but they might make an exception for WLQ because of his special skill set.

But now when I think about WLQ and his influence in TT. Was it him who influenced the sport or did his coach tell him how to play and so change the game?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ma Lin seems like the logical choice to me if they really do decide it is time for a change. He seems to me to be the most tactical and analytic of the three.

But I don't think they should change things. The reason seems too arbitrary to me.

Regardless, we shall see in due time what CNT choose to do.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Wow you have a lot of insight to this whole coaching stuff of the chinese. How do you get to know such things?

Well, Liu Guoliang looks like the right man for the right job in my eyes. As for his successor, I don't feel like that none of Wang Liqin, Ma Lin or Wang Hao have that Godfather-esque charisma that Liu Guoliang has. Well that sounds a bit exaggerated, but I hope you get what I mean.

Maybe they develop that when they become the lead coach. My best bet, when I focus on that, is Wang Hao. He has a special energy/strength in his appearance. But what do I know. Maybe Wang Liqin is the best guy for the job because he already heavily influenced the sport in the past with his playing style. The ability to do that might help him to further develop the CNT players to become even better.

But what do you guys think? If the headcoach retires at 40 years old, then Wang Liqin would be head coach for only 2 years, Ma Lin for 4 and Wang Hao for 8. I think 2 years is too short for a head coach to be effective but they might make an exception for WLQ because of his special skill set.

But now when I think about WLQ and his influence in TT. Was it him who influenced the sport or did his coach tell him how to play and so change the game?

I guess its just from experience and know/hearing what goes around.
Ma Lin to me fits the profile better compared to the 2 kings.

Regarding 40 years old, the rule is during application, a coach can't be more than 40 years old.
They can be 39 and apply for 4 years job contract, so they finish at 43 etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by WLQ influence to TT though

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ma Lin seems like the logical choice to me if they really do decide it is time for a change. He seems to me to be the most tactical and analytic of the three.

But I don't think they should change things. The reason seems too arbitrary to me.

Regardless, we shall see in due time what CNT choose to do.

Yep, and Ma Lin is maybe also best speaker of the 3
The best mind and the best mouth imo

Well, the rules was set up by CTTT, LGL and KLH also need to follow it.
They will be too old to reapply for being a CNT coach.
That press release a few year back was indeed a tough one. only the best of the best can make it. and make it for a short time too.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I guess its just from experience and know/hearing what goes around.
Ma Lin to me fits the profile better compared to the 2 kings.

Regarding 40 years old, the rule is during application, a coach can't be more than 40 years old.
They can be 39 and apply for 4 years job contract, so they finish at 43 etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by WLQ influence to TT though

I see.

About WLQ, well I have heard that from someone who I have deemed to be a credible source. I can't recall who it was but I think it was a commentator. But it seems like he was wrong with this statement. And now when I think about it, commentators can talk a lot of crap. I have to be more carefull next time I listen to some commentators.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Lets take it a little further , I think thats the reason Zhang Jike has un-retired , once Ma Lin becomes the coach , he and Ma Lin can bet as much as they want without fearing for retribution, I saw the recent ITTF post saying ZJK is planning to target Tokyo 2020 , big ZJK fan but I am no able to wrap my brain around how , may be for the Special Olympics ... :D
Rumors are that Ma Lin will be new head coach and Liu Guoliang will be promoted for a higher position in the sports federation of China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
i dont think you have to retire when you are 40 or max. 44(according to tony appl. at max 40 with 4 yars contract)...if that were true coach wu (xu xins, ma lins, wang haos coach) should have long retired already but as we all know he didnt.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
i dont think you have to retire when you are 40 or max. 44(according to tony appl. at max 40 with 4 yars contract)...if that were true coach wu (xu xins, ma lins, wang haos coach) should have long retired already but as we all know he didnt.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

lol, so you saying CTTA press release is a lie?

Wu jingping age was also explained in a press release last year from CTTA
Just go and google it
He is also due to retiring for the coming olympic cycle

Last edited: