How do you banana flick?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I don't have time to watch/ thoroughly digest all the post but i look forward to doing so soon. Banana flick seems for me to be a feel shot and if I have not practiced for a while it's the first thing to go, loosing the proper timing and reliability In match play. I have noticed a few key things when I'm not executing the shot. When concentrating on reading the spin I can loose the timing taking the ball after its peaks. You can still flip this ball but it requires an adjustment as stated above better to take it at its peak. Also for me it's important to start with a higher elbow. When I let my elbow drop in the beginning my stroke angle can be to up and with the same contact point I will send it long. You can see the high elbow in fan zhendong flip above. william' henzell's elbow is slightly lower but it's still higher than mine when failing to execute. This is something I real want to become confident in at all times because when it's reliable it really changes the way the game is played often making the opponent change serve strategy and decreasing comfort lel. Nice thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Your racket should almost be as low as the table, almost touching the table. Most people don't understand how low you have to be.

This whole post is top notch but this piece right here is pure gold.

You can actually do it without getting the racket low like what David is talking about. But it won't be a high level shot. When you add this piece that your racket almost touches the table, then all of a sudden, your shot has much better spin and pace. All of a sudden, the shot quality goes way up because no matter how low the serve or push is, you will be coming up from under the ball how you need to on a loop.

I confess I don't usually get low enough on this. But Edmund was making me get the racket to almost touch the table and be almost all the way closed on Wednesday when I hit with him, and those were different than my usual over the table BHs by a long shot.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: gmiller2233
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A note from a previous post, yes the bat speed is higher at the tip of the bat, but it is darned difficult to consistently impact the ball there high percentage no miss. Safer to try to impact the ball center of bat. Easier to impact near tip if you are taking it immediately off bounce.

Still, if you do not step in, stick that elbow out, be in position and use leverage, your shit will be weak or a fail.

Getting the bat tip way down almost touching table is a good preload. If you do this, stick elbow out and step in, you have excellent leverage.

Reactions: gmiller2233