Xu Xin announces girlfriend after Rio 2016! Interview!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Xu Xin has officially confirmed his relationship with girlfriend Yao Yan after winning gold in Rio with Team China. In the video below Xu Xin and Yao Yan talk about their relationship.

xuxingirlfriend.jpg

Xu Xin and Yao Yan have been dating for 7 years and are likely to marry in the near future. They know each other because they were teammates back in Shanghai around 13 or 14 years old. She was taller than Xu Xin during this time so she look at him as a little brother and never talked to each other. One night after National Games' dinner, they had a walk and Xu Xin made the first move by holding her hand. Love started that night. She had no experience with boys before and Xu Xin is her first love. She loved his humor, easy going, trustworthy and respected his coaches, elders and parents.

Later in the show Xu Xin talks about Rio and all the pressure involved because the public always take winning gold for granted. He thinks it is better to hear some worries from the public so they can better look at their weaknesses and find a way to improve. For now even winning Gold did not bring them happiness but more pressure to the team. They have to start from zero after each win and it is more than a slogan. That's why they have to strive more than others. "There is regret in Rio. This is my first Olympic Gold. But regret is still fine. I will go home and sum up. I believe I will get back fighting for Tokyo. " expressed Xu Xin.

In the show Xu Xin and girlfriend Yao Yan play a game to see how much they understand each other.

Question 1, when did you both meet? Xu Xin responded, "2003".

Question 2, What date did you first hold hands? Xu Xin responded, "2009-9-30".

Question 3, Who is your best doubles partner? Xu Xin responded, "Ma Long". They joked, "if you asked me who is my best Mixed Double partner, it has to be Yao Yan". Xu Xin said he expects their relationship to last a life time since the day they fell in love.

You can watch the video below:

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
There are some unwritten rules about not having partners while you are professional players in China, all the coaches will tell you put your country honor first. Just because of the whole system is different from western countries and all related with the government. But somehow these days, this situation is slightly changed, as long as you know, who comes first, then it seems ok. Zhangjike is looking for girl friend from his online chat with fans recently after Rio. :)

Reactions: eyepop
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This isn't secret news.
It is public knowledge in China and many parts of the world that YY and XX had to choose one to stay in CNT and one to leave.
YY choose to leave/retire and allowed XX to stay, as he had a better chance to be world champion.
The reasoning was fear of "concentration loss".

It is "sad" being in a TT Pro in China, as conditions are tough and rules are strict.
ie at close training, you need to hand in all forms of communication (only get it back during weekends)

I can understand the purpose of the rules, as the country had to invest huge amounts of money for the athlete, so hence "country first" as Chen Chen above had said. So athletes all need to make sacrifices, as it is more than just a job/career, but also patriotism (something that doesn't appear much in the western world nowadays) - giving back to the country as what the country has given you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I always thought the CNT were not allowed girlfriends until they retired. Maybe the players have to keep it secret to the public.

since this century, none of it is secret, but rather low profile.
a lot of sacrifices need to be made (ie not seeing your bf/gf for months)
see my other comment for more info on why they do it

This user has no status.
19:35, so much crinch. xD
ok so, what happend 23:30... and what did the girl on the video say.
Summary? and best quotes?

uh I'll try to explain
so basically you saw xu xin's girlfriend attempt to do the samba dance before right?
so the interviewer asked xu xin if he wants to know another surprise they have in store for him
and his girlfriend said me (soo she declared herself the surprise as a joke)

tell me if you don't really understand what I just said hahahaha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Now XX has a taste of OG. Hope he can really fight his way back to Tokyo with the support of his wife. He is hungry now. :)

I have to admit
I was surprised to find out they may be marrying soon.
That is considered unique in CNT, a mens player active in duty (in a crucial age) and married.
XX is only 26 now.
I can understand if he is near retiring and then marries, but not during his peak.

Sounds like he is not going to make Tokyo....

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
First of all: sorry for off topic

I can understand the purpose of the rules, as the country had to invest huge amounts of money for the athlete, so hence "country first" as Chen Chen above had said. So athletes all need to make sacrifices, as it is more than just a job/career, but also patriotism (something that doesn't appear much in the western world nowadays) - giving back to the country as what the country has given you.

I agree with many of your posts, Tony, but in this case i disagree strongly.

Let me politely try to explain:

From lookin' at the latest votes and political campaigns it's actually the opposite: sadly Patriotism and Nationalism (there's only a thin line between these two ugly hunchbacked cousins) have actually been increasing lately, ESPECIALLY in the 'western' world.
(EDIT: e.g. EDL, GDL, Britains first, BREXIT, the slovakian president, a former left winger turned into a far right winger. Germany - PEGIDA, NPD, NSU, AFD, Poland - PIS, USA - Donald Trump)

I say sadly, 'cause from the nineteenth century especially Nationalism has caused so much trouble, so much pain, so much sorrow, it has been causing terrible things like racism and led to colonialism, which led to two terrible world wars.
It has caused refugee houses beeing set on fire. I could go on, but i think my point is already clear. Mother Earth doesn't know of any borders, these things are manmade.
A close friend always says: borders were set up, where two tribes got tired of fighting for the land and found an agreement. Mankind should evolve from this caveman-type of thinking and should grow together, instead of searching for differences rather look for similarities, for the sake of the planet and our children.

I understand that you might see it different, but after have seen the Olympics i really don't see a lack of Patriotism in sports. Worldwide.
Many Athletes from many different countries are huge patriots also and got their Personal best results ever, causing upsets and many surprises, some countries just don't have such a good infrastructure as other countries.

In germany for instance many Athletes are either in the army (Bundeswehr) or are working for the Police. Being in either of these two, one MUST Love one's country. Deeply.

So i don't think your claim is right. People in the so called 'western' world DO love their countries also, BUT most (Not all but many) parents in the 'west' don't want to force their children to do miltary-like drills from earliest age and don't want their kids to suffer so much.

IMHO It's mainly just a different way of seeing the world.

I think that is the main difference, IMHO.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
This isn't secret news.
It is public knowledge in China and many parts of the world that YY and XX had to choose one to stay in CNT and one to leave.
YY choose to leave/retire and allowed XX to stay, as he had a better chance to be .

So that's why zhang jike and liu shiwen broke up cause both of them wanted to stay in CNT .

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
First of all: sorry for off topic

I agree with many of your posts, Tony, but in this case i disagree strongly.

Let me politely try to explain:

From lookin' at the latest votes and political campaigns it's actually the opposite: sadly Patriotism and Nationalism (there's only a thin line between these two ugly hunchbacked cousins) have actually been increasing lately, ESPECIALLY in the 'western' world.
(EDIT: e.g. EDL, GDL, Britains first, BREXIT, the slovakian president, a former left winger turned into a far right winger. Germany - PEGIDA, NPD, NSU, AFD, Poland - PIS, USA - Donald Trump)

I say sadly, 'cause from the nineteenth century especially Nationalism has caused so much trouble, so much pain, so much sorrow, it has been causing terrible things like racism and led to colonialism, which led to two terrible world wars.
It has caused refugee houses beeing set on fire. I could go on, but i think my point is already clear. Mother Earth doesn't know of any borders, these things are manmade.
A close friend always says: borders were set up, where two tribes got tired of fighting for the land and found an agreement. Mankind should evolve from this caveman-type of thinking and should grow together, instead of searching for differences rather look for similarities, for the sake of the planet and our children.

I understand that you might see it different, but after have seen the Olympics i really don't see a lack of Patriotism in sports. Worldwide.
Many Athletes from many different countries are huge patriots also and got their Personal best results ever, causing upsets and many surprises, some countries just don't have such a good infrastructure as other countries.

In germany for instance many Athletes are either in the army (Bundeswehr) or are working for the Police. Being in either of these two, one MUST Love one's country. Deeply.

So i don't think your claim is right. People in the so called 'western' world DO love their countries also, BUT most (Not all but many) parents in the 'west' don't want to force their children to do miltary-like drills from earliest age and don't want their kids to suffer so much.

IMHO It's mainly just a different way of seeing the world.

I think that is the main difference, IMHO.

Great reply. I guess I wasn't fair or right to generalise the whole world.
But I think my focus point was at lease the amount of sacrifices one needs to make as a table tennis athlete in China vs the world.
Especially in world level.

I guess this is both a pro and cons on both side, if we were to compare CNT to any other top 20 player.

Reactions: Suga D and ssami992
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Xu Xin has actually denied it in the Ask a Pro Anything interview with Adam Bobrow.

I hope Yao Yan has not seen this video :cool:

since this century, none of it is secret, but rather low profile.
a lot of sacrifices need to be made (ie not seeing your bf/gf for months)
see my other comment for more info on why they do it

Thanks for clearing that up. Table tennis is a way of life for CNT!