First time getting a custom table tennis bat,what should I get?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My forehand shots mostly end up in the net whereas I am able to perform backhand shots with more power and consistency.

Yep. What laistrogian, otherwise known as The Vampire Lestat, says is pretty good info. And based on this statement, the original statement he made would probably be the best choice for you:

Yasaka Sweden Extra
Xiom Vega Europe for both sides.

A good basic setup for you to learn the fundamentals from both wings.

There are tons of options. Too many in fact. The more you look the more possible options you will see. And the more confused you will get. Just get that setup that laistrogian suggested first time.

That will be an ideal setup for you.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Forehand ending in the net could come from a variety of reasons. Rubber is not one of those reasons. My best guess would be you're reaching forward catching the ball to early. Or not following through with your stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Or countless other combinations.

I guess, in the end, 2 questions for the OP are:

Do you want Euro/Jananese catapult sponge or Chinese non-catapult sponge? Do you you think you are better off with harder rubber (demands more precise technique) or softer rubber (more forgiving)?

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Well, maybe i should explain what has lead me to that thought: ;)

from my information the Vega China does have a semi-tacky topsheet but it also comes with the carbo-sponge which would make this rubber then rather be considered as a modern hybrid, like e.g. Rising Dragon, Joola Brave, Donic MS Traction and so on, which was actually the reason why that Rubber came to my mind in the first place, since my thought was that the transition to a Euro/japanese rubber might become easier with a modern hybrid, coming from a DHS premade with rather classic chinese rubbers. (Best of both worlds)
;)

But if that rubber is hardly available where OP is coming from, that is a different story then and maybe lookin' for some other modern hybrid could do well, too IMHO.

[Emoji2]

Vega China is not recommended since the OP won't be able to buy it there. I went there last April looking for one and couldn't find it. The store said they don't carry it.

Well, if tenryu or any other shop in the area don't carry it, maybe some other modern hybrid like Tibhar K1 or Rising Dragon then....

[Emoji3]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Vega rubbers is pretty , but. What about durability ??!

I have to disclose that I am a Xiom agent in South Africa.
But I personally use Vega rubbers and also do many of my students.

My own rubbers is more than 2 years old.
Yes, I only coach nowadays, but still the rubbers has been aired, dusted, cleaned, stored for 700+ days. This to me is very good.
My students mostly can have the rubbers lasted 1 year, I only had a case where one of my students hits very hard and that rubber needs to be replaced 6 months, but I suspect it was more his racket care, or rather lack of that contributed to the shorter life spam.

I also have to add, playing environment and climate can also determine the lifespan of your rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Why and how do you seal the blade?

The main reason is to prevent splintering while removing rubbers.
Some glues are really strong, sometimes a little too strong, so even if one is really carefully some blades loose woodchips from their top plies.

You can use plenty of things to 'seal' your blade.
Some people lacquer it, some varnish using furniture oil, i think carl likes using certain wipe-ons if i remember correctly. One user who is also mod on a different forum came up with using hairspray.
The thing is if you lacquer your blade too thick it's going to change the playing characteristics of your blade, so that hairspray idea really made a lot of sense. I even tried it myself and it just works great.
Some blades already come presealed, while others are left raw, so it depends what blade you have f you need to seal it or not.

Hope this didn't sound too confusing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
But, here is a video:

That looks a bit excessive for my taste. If I use that stuff, i would dab a piece of cloth and wipe on the blade using the wet cloth, instead of pouring the sealant on the blade and wipe.

So if I buy the Stiga Infinity VPS V , a blade known to have its top plies spoiled when removing rubbers. Would I need to seal it, or just be extra careful when removing rubbers?

I would seal it and have the piece of mind.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That looks a bit excessive for my taste. If I use that stuff, i would dab a piece of cloth and wipe on the blade using the wet cloth, instead of pouring the sealant on the blade and wipe.

I would seal it and have the piece of mind.

Yeah. I use cloth and put sealant on cloth and rub the sealant in. But it is still a video that shows the basic process.

And I agree with rokphish about sealing.

The Stiga blades with NCT coating like Rosewood NCT don't need to be sealed. But aside from blades that have been presealed, I would seal my blade. Buy from a place that will seal it for you. Most online stores will do that. Then you don't have to think about it.