Looking for advice (mainly on equipment)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hi all ,

I`ve been playing TB when i was a kid for several years , won few local tournaments , however i didn't play for about 12 years.
Recently i started playing again (3 months or so) and for the most part its coming back to me very fast.
The main problem is equipment :
1 - i had no equipment left from when i was playing so i had to start from scratch.
2 - i always liked the fast near the table game style so after reading some reviews i decided to go for evolution MX-P.
Blade wise i had no idea , so i just bought a cheap blade from our local dealer (Donic ovcharov senso carbon) which was terrible for me.
i couldnt feel the ball at all and the handle was really not comfortable , so i read some review and switched it to donic ovcharov carbospeed.
its way more comfortable however i still dont feel the ball and the overall feeling is that some thing is missing , in addition it a bit bigger than the senso so the rubbers have a gap from the handle which is really annoying.

a club member gave me his blade to try it was a stiga intesnity nct carbon with nimbus on one side and tenergy on the other (not sure which rubbers exactly)

now i wouldn't call it a perfect blade but the ball feeling was so much better than mine and the speed was fine as well , and the most important thing is that it was way easier to hit the table with it.

I was thinking about the carbonado 145 as reviews saying it has a big sweet spot and good ball feeling , problem is iam not sure my MXP can handle another replacement and even if so , maybe i need some thing softer?

Thanks

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is true the MX-P is a rubber that deadens feeling. And so does carbon.

So, yeah, what laistrogian said: an all wood blade.

Intensity may be a good blade for you. If you tried it and liked it, why not.

Rubbers that are not so hard give better feeling. There are tons of medium soft rubbers that would work.

But after trying the Intensity why did you come up with the idea of the Carbonado?

It is worth trying enough setups and then getting one of the ones you tried and KNOW first hand that you liked rather than looking at stats on paper or an add from a company.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Here is a very interesting read from UpSideDownCarl regarding this subject:

So, here is some information.

The real issue with carbon is very simple. Carbon does some great things. Especially when it is weaved with something like Arylate which gives you some of the benefits of carbon and allowing some of the benefits of an all wood blade simultaneously. Viscaria is an ALC blade so it falls into that category of a blade that has many of the benefits of carbon and many of the benefits of an all wood blade at the same time.

Here is the biggest reason that a developing player who really wants to improve his/her technique would not want to use Carbon, even in a blade like the Stiga Allround Carbon or some other blade that is All, All+ or Off- speed rated: That speed rating is useful for a developing player. But adding the carbon is usually not: here is the reason:

Carbon deadens certain vibrations that make it harder to feel the ball while the ball is on the blade face.

This is the single biggest reason why an all wood blade in the All, All+ or Off- speed rating would be better for someone developing technique. However, there are several others that I will add after I explain this one.

The single most important aspect of developing technique is developing the ability to generate more spin; More Spin; MORE SPIN. you are truthfully not done with this process until you can generate MASSIVE spin: until you are close to semi-pro level.

The dual most important aspects of developing the technique for more spin are touch and feeling. They are two parts of ONE equation. The ability to feel and touch the ball well are developed side by side. It really has to do with how you use your hand on the racket, how you touch the ball, and what you do with how you touch the ball.

By deadening vibrations carbon blocks certain vibrations that you feel in your hand AND RETARDS (slows) THE PROCESS OF DEVELOPING BETTER TOUCH AND FEEL.

The dampening of vibration is also part of why carbon creates a larger sweet spot. Here is what LARGER SWEET SPOT actually means. With a carbon blade, if your contact is BAD, it still feels good. In fact good contact and bad contact will feel almost the same.

For a developing player who does not know the difference between good contact and bad contact A CARBON BLADE WILL NOT PROVIDE FEEDBACK THAT HELPS YOUR SYSTEM LEARN THE DIFFERENCE.

With an all wood blade, good contact will feel really good. REALLY GOOD. And bad contact, when you make it, you will know you messed up because IT WILL FEEL BAD IN YOUR HAND and you will see your shot was bad too.

The interesting thing about this is, on a sub-cortical level (that means brain and neural feedback that is not conscious) on a sub-cortical level your nervous system will process the difference between good contact and bad contact and the ability to develop precise, good contact WILL improve with an all wood blade. This will not happen with a carbon blade with less vibration and a "larger sweetspot" (read: more room for making errors, bad shots, and bad contact).

So, with an all wood blade that is 5 plies, has decent flex, good dwell time, and an ability to help you feel the ball better. Usually the blades with a softer top ply like Limba are better for developing more spin and better technique. All Hinoki 5 plies that are All+Off- would be great as well.

The flex also helps you spin the ball more. Carbon also reduces flex.

So, what are carbon blades actually good for?????

Not for learning technique. But once your technique is really solid and your spin and shot quality is somewhere near a semi-pro level, then a carbon blade gives you more speed with less effort. A larger sweet spot so that if your contact is slightly off the shot will still work. And a lighter blade with more pace than you could get from an all wood blade without making it too stiff, heavy and hard.

And, by the way, when someone does have semi-pro level technique, they will be able to feel the difference between good and bad contact with a carbon blade because they have developed their technique to that extent.

Now, if you add Arylate to the equation like the Carbon+Arylate weave of an ALC blade like a Viscaria, a TB ALC or a ZJK ALC, then you add some of the spin capabilities of an all wood blade because of the softness of the Arylate. Arylate is a soft plastic that adds dwell time and the ability to spin the ball to the carbon's speed.

So, if your technique is at that level, this kind of blade is very good for balancing extra speed, keeping the spin and not making the blade too heavy.

Hope that answers your questions.

Sent from Deep Space by Abacus

After having read this, I can imagine you choose to avoid carbon blades for now :).

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well after reading upsidedawn comment i understand the feeling thing and why i could feel more/less with some blades i tried at my club.
I agree that the best way is to try and feel and then decide , however our club is kind of small and most of the blades people have there are very old.
so not really a lot to try, so at this point i can on get advice's from you guys and hope for the best.

So what would be a decent all wood and rubbers combo to start with?

Thank you all :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Well after reading upsidedawn comment i understand the feeling thing and why i could feel more/less with some blades i tried at my club.
I agree that the best way is to try and feel and then decide , however our club is kind of small and most of the blades people have there are very old.
so not really a lot to try, so at this point i can on get advice's from you guys and hope for the best.

So what would be a decent all wood and rubbers combo to start with?

Thank you all :)

But you did like the Intensity blade, right? I actually think that could be a good place to start. Rubbers are easier than the blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Yea that intensity blade was way nicer than mine , however it was a carbon blade as well.
So am i missing some thing ?
And i only tried like 5 blades overall , 3 was old blades that its been sold any more , intensity that was nice , and the last one was so so , i dont even remember the name..

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yea that intensity blade was way nicer than mine , however it was a carbon blade as well.
So am i missing some thing ?
And i only tried like 5 blades overall , 3 was old blades that its been sold any more , intensity that was nice , and the last one was so so , i dont even remember the name..

There are two Intensity blades. There is the Intensity NCT and the Intensity Carbon. Are you sure you used the Intensity Carbon?

Intensity NCT is very nice and all wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ok i will check that one again to make sure if it was a carbon or the all wood , what about robbers ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
What about fx-p ?
I used to play with mark v , and I remember I wasn't too happy with them.
Either way could you please just list several options.
Just as a guide line for what types I should be looking and picking from...

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
What about fx-p ?
I used to play with mark v , and I remember I wasn't too happy with them.
Either way could you please just list several options.
Just as a guide line for what types I should be looking and picking from...

Thanks

you won't know what kind of rubber you like best until you've tried them. you need to test someone elses equipment and find a setup you like. that way you don't spend thousands testing for yourself.

Reactions: dirtyD
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Butterfly Tenergy 05fx
Butterfly Tenergy 80fx
Butterfly Tenergy 64fx
Joola Rhyzm 425
Xiom Omega V Europe
Xiom Vega Europe
Xiom Vega Japan
Xiom Sigma II Europe
Tibhar Aurus Soft
Yasaka Rakza Soft
Nitakku FastArc C-1

Others can add more. But too many choices can be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: JekaE and dirtyD
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks , so as far as i understand the main idea is to put a softer one on the BH and a harder one on the FH.
Softer for the more control in BH and harder for more speed in FH , did i understand this correctly ?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks , so as far as i understand the main idea is to put a softer one on the BH and a harder one on the FH.
Softer for the more control in BH and harder for more speed in FH , did i understand this correctly ?

That is a theory. That theory is based in the idea that your BH is weaker than your FH. If that is true, then the theory has SOME validity. But it is still not always correct.

There is another theory. Which goes like this:

Until you really know what you need on FH and BH, until you know what you need that is different for the two strokes, starting with the same for both sides can be really useful.

The idea is that everyone is different. Some people need softer for FH. Some people need the same for both. A surprising number of top pros who are not from China use the same rubber on each side.

So, unless you actually know what works better for your BH and FH getting the same is pretty useful. And, since you are asking for rubber recommendations, I am going to assume you may not know what you need.

But if you do know for sure that your BH is weaker and less consistent, then, perhaps a slightly softer version of the same rubber would work.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel and JekaE
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Actually when you put it like this iam not so sure.
Close to the table my BH feel way better and i tend to hit the table more and just feel more confident in that shots.
However when going mid/far distance its the opposite , my BH suddenly feel very un confident and very weak/slow , and my FH get way way better spins , way faster spins as well which hit the table much more.

with that in mind , what do you think?
I did some reading about the all wood blades , and it sure looks like that is the way to go.
however rubbers wise i have no clue.
and iam just curios why there is not a single evolution rubber on your list?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Actually when you put it like this iam not so sure.
Close to the table my BH feel way better and i tend to hit the table more and just feel more confident in that shots.
However when going mid/far distance its the opposite , my BH suddenly feel very un confident and very weak/slow , and my FH get way way better spins , way faster spins as well which hit the table much more.

with that in mind , what do you think?
I did some reading about the all wood blades , and it sure looks like that is the way to go.
however rubbers wise i have no clue.
and iam just curios why there is not a single evolution rubber on your list?

Looking at my list, I forgot to add:

Victas V>01
Victas V>01 Limber

The reason there are NO Evolution rubbers on my list is this: you have said you are interested in feeling the ball better. The kind of sponge on the Evolution rubbers is not good for that. The performance of Evolution rubbers is excellent. But you don't get the kind of ball feel you would from any of the rubbers I did list.

Does that make sense?

This user has no status.
I would go for a "too slow setup" rather then a "too fast setup" and by time upgrading the setup. All/All+ blade with rubbers in all/off- range (more forgiving type). Don't focus on results regarding matches but instead go for getting the technique, timing, touch and so on to make sense and even getting physically fit for table tennis.