Mizuno Shoes

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Having spent the last three years stomping about in a pair of Hi-Tec Squash shoes - decent grip but a bit hefty - I am now ready to treat myself to a pair of proper table tennis shoes. I'm going for Mizuno, and I'm trying to choose between the Wave Medal 5 and the Wave Drive 7. I have to confess though that I really don't have any idea how to choose between the two models - both are exactly the same price in the UK at the moment, both are available in my size and both seem to incorporate the same technologies as far as I can make out. There is nothing in Mizuno's advertising blurb that stands out as an obvious difference. The only difference I can see is that the Wave Drives are a bit less garish, as they are mostly white.

Does anyone here have experience of these shoes ? What's the difference, if any ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
A short time ago someone was looking for information about Mizuno Wave Drive 7's and this is what I wrote:

I bought these shoes a short time ago and this is what I can say about it so far:
At first I used regular sneakers to play table tennis and when I wore the Drive 7's for the first time, I noticed they're a lot more comfortable. The damping is really nice and it also prevented foot fatigue which I experienced with other shoes. The model is really low, that was something I wasn't used to, but it turned out that this really wasn't a problem. When it comes to grip, until now I only played on wooden floors and I had plenty of grip. Only when some sweatdrops hit the floor, the grip got noticably worse. I can imagine that this will be the case with any shoe to a certain extent though. These shoes are also very light.

Since these are my first pair of 'real' table tennis shows, it's impossible for me to make a comparison with other table tennis shoes. Despite this, I hope this will help you a bit.

Reactions: JHB
I have the wave medal 4. In US size 11 (corresponds to EU 46). Best comfort and protection around the heel. I too bought mine from Contra (when on sale). Yes, a little garish but looks don't spin the ball over the net.

Did you check out the reviews here? Good info on the shoes.

Reactions: JHB and ttmonster
This user has no status.
I think you should try them in person first, because when I bought a Wave drive 7, it was a little bit oversized,

Before I wore Adidas shoes US size 9.5, when I get the US size 9.5 Mizuno shoes it was quite oversized, so for Mizuno shoe I'd need US size 9.0 and When I tried Butterfly shoes, US size 9.0 is again oversized, I'd need US size 8.5 for Butterly shoes. so it's kinda like

Mizuno US size 9 = Adidas US size 9.5 = Butterfly US size 8.5

Reactions: JHB

JHB

I think you should try them in person first, because when I bought a Wave drive 7, it was a little bit oversized,

Before I wore Adidas shoes US size 9.5, when I get the US size 9.5 Mizuno shoes it was quite oversized, so for Mizuno shoe I'd need US size 9.0 and When I tried Butterfly shoes, US size 9.0 is again oversized, I'd need US size 8.5 for Butterly shoes. so it's kinda like

Mizuno US size 9 = Adidas US size 9.5 = Butterfly US size 8.5

Thanks cmhtbx. Unfortunately in the UK there is no chance to try them first, it's mail order or lump it and that applies to the majority of TT gear. I can of course return them and request a different size if they turn out too big/small, it just takes a bit longer.

Also, just to complicate things further, UK shoe sizes are different to US sizes. And Japanese sizes are different to both.It's sometimes easier to look at the European sizes and work it out from there !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Regarding, shoe - go for both :)

Regarding sizes, Japanese size is by cm - so the total length of your foot.
Rule of thumb, trace your foot on an a4 paper, and then check the longest length and add 2 cm on, and that should give you your Mizuno shoe.

I'm pretty sure there is a JPN measure on the shoe, if not, ask the store for it/comparison

This user has no status.
Regarding, shoe - go for both :)

Regarding sizes, Japanese size is by cm - so the total length of your foot.
Rule of thumb, trace your foot on an a4 paper, and then check the longest length and add 2 cm on, and that should give you your Mizuno shoe.

I'm pretty sure there is a JPN measure on the shoe, if not, ask the store for it/comparison

just try your method, just measure my feet 26cm, so the jap size would be 28 then, but my mizuno shoe is 27.5 still find it oversized, 27 would be the best. so maybe add 1 cm on to your feet length.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Since this topic just was discussed lately, I'll might as well quote myself from that thread.

I use those (Mizuno Wave Drive 7) as well since about 3 months and I must say i really like them.
The grip is more than enough for sports floorings. But they seem to weigh a little more than my old asics, but a little less than my Nike indoor soccer shoes, which i've used more than two years.
I'm totally satisfied with this shoe.

Having spent the last three years stomping about in a pair of Hi-Tec Squash shoes - decent grip but a bit hefty - I am now ready to treat myself to a pair of proper table tennis shoes. I'm going for Mizuno, and I'm trying to choose between the Wave Medal 5 and the Wave Drive 7. I have to confess though that I really don't have any idea how to choose between the two models - both are exactly the same price in the UK at the moment, both are available in my size and both seem to incorporate the same technologies as far as I can make out. There is nothing in Mizuno's advertising blurb that stands out as an obvious difference. The only difference I can see is that the Wave Drives are a bit less garish, as they are mostly white.

Does anyone here have experience of these shoes ? What's the difference, if any ?

Hi JHB,

I have the Mizuno Wave Medal JK Limited Edition - Zhang Jike Table Tennis Shoes in UK 9.5 For sale if you want. I am selling them for £120 excluding postage because they are limited edition. Pics below:

Screen Shot 2016-09-03 at 23.47.37.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-03 at 23.48.09.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-03 at 23.48.23.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-03 at 23.48.36.jpgScreen Shot 2016-09-03 at 23.50.15.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D

JHB

Reactions: Suga D

JHB

Gentlemen ( and ladies if there are any undeclared ones here ),

Thank you all very much for your input on this. I am now convinced that the only difference between Wave Drive and Wave Medal is the colour, so I'm going for the red ones !

My apologies if my remarks about sizing sidetracked the discussion ! The UK distributor (Bribar) sells them by UK sizes, so either they or Mizuno Europe are doing the conversion. However I'll keep Tony's recommendation in mind if ever I order direct from Japan.

Thanks again !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Gentlemen ( and ladies if there are any undeclared ones here ),

Thank you all very much for your input on this. I am now convinced that the only difference between Wave Drive and Wave Medal is the colour, so I'm going for the red ones !

My apologies if my remarks about sizing sidetracked the discussion ! The UK distributor (Bribar) sells them by UK sizes, so either they or Mizuno Europe are doing the conversion. However I'll keep Tony's recommendation in mind if ever I order direct from Japan.

Thanks again !

I have a good feeling your shoe will have JPN size on the box and/or on the shoe itself.
Most of the stores don't database the JPN size on the system, some are not bothered to check it physically.
Proof me wrong when you get your shoe :)

All Mizuno shoe is made in China, and labelled there as such :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews

Found a chart from Mizuno catalog. Basically it said Drive series is for lightness, softness and the feel of bare feet. Medal series is for stability and cushion. Kaiserburg series is for lightness and wide. Crossmatch series is entry level.

mizuno.jpg

I have bought a pair of Wave Medal A from Japan a year ago. Should have gone half size lower because it seems a bit larger than any shoe size conversion chart indicated. The Wave Medal has thick shoe sole and I can feel a strong support at the arc area. It feels flat but also heavy and bulky (relatively speaking) as a table tennis shoes. I have a pair of Wave Drive from China, probably fake, but if it is any indication of what a genuine Wave Drive is like, it feels thin, flat, light and gives me lots of feeling to the ground. Both Medal and Drive have fancy color now.

Just bought a pair of Stiga Instinct II last week. It is different in feel to Mizuno. It does not feel flat with heel and ball of foot touching the ground and this design seems to generate power more easily for me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I have a good feeling your shoe will have JPN size on the box and/or on the shoe itself...

That´s quite right (though my shoe says: MADE IN VIETNAM) ;)
Here´s a pic of mine. On the shoe itself there´s a little tag that says how the size translates.

e.g. a US Size 11 would translate to UK Size 10 Euro Size 44,5 and japanese Size 29.0cm

Sorry for the poor quality. had to use my front cam, ´cause my back cam´s broke...

Attachments

• IMG-20160904-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20160904-WA0012.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

JHB

Found a chart from Mizuno catalog. Basically it said Drive series is for lightness, softness and the feel of bare feet. Medal series is for stability and cushion. Kaiserburg series is for lightness and wide. Crossmatch series is entry level.

View attachment 10783

I have bought a pair of Wave Medal A from Japan a year ago. Should have gone half size lower because it seems a bit larger than any shoe size conversion chart indicated. The Wave Medal has thick shoe sole and I can feel a strong support at the arc area. It feels flat but also heavy and bulky (relatively speaking) as a table tennis shoes. I have a pair of Wave Drive from China, probably fake, but if it is any indication of what a genuine Wave Drive is like, it feels thin, flat, light and gives me lots of feeling to the ground. Both Medal and Drive have fancy color now.

Just bought a pair of Stiga Instinct II last week. It is different in feel to Mizuno. It does not feel flat with heel and ball of foot touching the ground and this design seems to generate power more easily for me.

Whoa, thank you TurboZ ! Excellent research there, that's the information I was looking for. That makes it an interesting decision for me; I'm looking for lightness and the ability to move quickly, but on the other hand in the Hi-Tecs I've turned an ankle a couple of times when moving sideways and the sole has gripped rather more than I wanted it to. My build is fairly, umm, substantial as well, so maybe I'd be better off with more stability and cushioning. Oooh, decisions decisions !

Reactions: Suga D and TurboZ