My Training Video

This user has no status.
Hey Guys

I have uploaded a video of my training (just some basic drills and rallying) so that I can keep track of my progress and see where I need to improve!

If anyone has any feedback on what I need to work on it would be much appreciated!

I have already picked up on my movement to the forehand side (and losing balance!) - so any other comments would be great!

Thanks!

Josh

says what [IMG]
I am just a lowly beginner so bear it in mind, but I did notice that grey consistently stands a cm or two relatively higher and less crouched than black. The level of both of you is high, don't get me wrong. I just feel that grey would really benefit from working towards lowering his stance somewhat and undergoing the physical training to support it.

The standing high aspect might be one thing playing into the whole "not enough rotation, too constricted" thing that has been mentioned.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
says what [IMG]
Hey - thanks for your comment!

I was standing up pretty straight in this session especially towards the end mainly due to tiredness - but its a normal issue I have! :)
I'm quite low level myself and not exactly coached so that standing low is a habit, so I can understand where you're coming from.

I am overcoming it slowly, though. My advice would be to first, do the physical training, because it will only get easier to stay low then, and just deal with it. :p Hell, stand noticeably lower than normal in some of your easier drills to really reinforce it. The feeling will stick, and you'll get used to it.

Reactions: JoshGSY
This user has no status.
Hey Guys

Hey, first off great idea to put yourself out there and capture your progress on video, kudos. My overall impression can line up with the feedback of others, the consistency and speed of your rallyes is definitely above average and looks good.

To not leave you with praise only, here's what I noticed (and other's apparently did too):

It seems to me that you're generating a lot of power on the FH TS by rotating your upper body and adding force by overengaging your shoulder, whereas the "perfect" european technique focuses more on the hip rotation. I think that might be what causes the FH to look cramped, as said before.

Another not-so-technical thing, which is a personal pet peeve of my own, is what I call the lazy backhand. When you two were playing FH counterloops, every now and then your partner would play a sharp angle and drag you outwards away from the table. Once out of position, you tend to stand still and try to play an overly aggressive backhand counterloop instead of moving around and continuing with the forehand. I know why you do it, it's easier that way and requires less movement. I do the same, and I can only highly suggest you to try and literally walk the extra mile around to reach for the ball with your forehand. Remind yourself of this every time you play a lazy backhand, eventually you'll be fast enough to reach the ball with your forehand at least one more time and potentially land a stronger shot (assuming you're forehand dominant, which the video suggests). If you feel more confident with your backhand in that situation in a match environment, hell then go for it. But the only guy I can think of who feels more comfortable with his backhand 10 meters away from the table is Kreanga. ;)

Last thing: When you're receiving a serve or moving in for a short push, try to have a good balance on your right foot (as a righthander, left for lefties respectively) when moving it under the table. As soon as you're done with whatever stroke you played, rapidly push yourself away from the table and get into your ready position as fast as possible. You guys seem like you're on a level where flicks and aggressive, fast openings on the third ball are a standard. Be prepared for that and don't get stuck too close to the table after the receive, it will only hinder you in the open game (especially because your game seems really solid from half-distance).

Keep in mind that all of these are minorities in the grand scheme of things, as initially said your over all level is remarkable. Keep it up!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
Hey, first off great idea to put yourself out there and capture your progress on video, kudos. My overall impression can line up with the feedback of others, the consistency and speed of your rallyes is definitely above average and looks good.

To not leave you with praise only, here's what I noticed (and other's apparently did too):

It seems to me that you're generating a lot of power on the FH TS by rotating your upper body and adding force by overengaging your shoulder, whereas the "perfect" european technique focuses more on the hip rotation. I think that might be what causes the FH to look cramped, as said before.

Another not-so-technical thing, which is a personal pet peeve of my own, is what I call the lazy backhand. When you two were playing FH counterloops, every now and then your partner would play a sharp angle and drag you outwards away from the table. Once out of position, you tend to stand still and try to play an overly aggressive backhand counterloop instead of moving around and continuing with the forehand. I know why you do it, it's easier that way and requires less movement. I do the same, and I can only highly suggest you to try and literally walk the extra mile around to reach for the ball with your forehand. Remind yourself of this every time you play a lazy backhand, eventually you'll be fast enough to reach the ball with your forehand at least one more time and potentially land a stronger shot (assuming you're forehand dominant, which the video suggests). If you feel more confident with your backhand in that situation in a match environment, hell then go for it. But the only guy I can think of who feels more comfortable with his backhand 10 meters away from the table is Kreanga. ;)

Last thing: When you're receiving a serve or moving in for a short push, try to have a good balance on your right foot (as a righthander, left for lefties respectively) when moving it under the table. As soon as you're done with whatever stroke you played, rapidly push yourself away from the table and get into your ready position as fast as possible. You guys seem like you're on a level where flicks and aggressive, fast openings on the third ball are a standard. Be prepared for that and don't get stuck too close to the table after the receive, it will only hinder you in the open game (especially because your game seems really solid from half-distance).

Keep in mind that all of these are minorities in the grand scheme of things, as initially said your over all level is remarkable. Keep it up!

Hi! Thanks for this comment! All makes sense to me - will be producing a match video at some point so will bare lol of these tips in mknd! Much appreciated!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Very impressive. I first thought you guys are twins while watching the video before reading that you two are indeed brothers. So who is the better player? :rolleyes:

I also see some hints of Ma Long in your strokes and I am not surprised to learn that you are a fan of the King. Looking forward to your next video.

This user has no status.
Very impressive. I first thought you guys are twins while watching the video before reading that you two are indeed brothers. So who is the better player? :rolleyes:

I also see some hints of Ma Long in your strokes and I am not surprised to learn that you are a fan of the King. Looking forward to your next video.

Hey! Yeh we are actually twins we just look slightly different with our hair etc! I'm trying to watch how Ma Long plays and emulating a few things...after all his technique is the best in the world! Thanks for your comment!

Reactions: TurboZ
This user has no status.

To answer your question regarding who is better, we both like to think we are :)

The reality is, If we played a match now, its 50/50 as to who will win.