New Rule Approved! Coaching Between Points 2016!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Over the last year there has been a number of rumours speculating on various new rules that will come in place or are currently being trialed. One of which is a rule that has been tested in Germany (approved in Germany 1st July 2016) is that coaches are allowed to give advice between points. Currently the rule in place is that coaches are only allowed to give advice after each set. From October 2016, a new world wide rule will allow coaches to give their players advice from the sideline between each point during the set.

coachduringpoint.jpg

Coaching (Photo via TableTennisEngland)

What do you think of this new rule?

The official rule via TableTennisEngland states: From the 1st October 2016 players will be allowed to receive advice at any time except during rallies, provided this does not delay the progress of play. If it does, the coach/adviser will first be warned, and then sent away from the playing area if the offence is repeated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Over the last year there has been a number of rumours speculating on various new rules that will come in place or are currently being trialed. One of which is a rule that has been tested in Germany (approved in Germany 1st July 2016) is that coaches are allowed to give advice between points. Currently the rule in place is that coaches are only allowed to give advice after each set. From October 2016, a new world wide rule will allow coaches to give their players advice from the sideline between each point during the set.

coachduringpoint.jpg

Coaching (Photo via TableTennisEngland)

What do you think of this new rule?

The official rule via TableTennisEngland states: From the 1st October 2016 players will be allowed to receive advice at any time except during rallies, provided this does not delay the progress of play. If it does, the coach/adviser will first be warned, and then sent away from the playing area if the offence is repeated.

This is stupid!
Ideally it should be the player gets no guidance whatsoever for the full time play. The player should observe & adopt strategy during play using his own knowledge.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
It's a terrible rule.
Hey no problem. We here are using this rule years ago as during matches my team mates were using sign languages. As far as I know in badminton this rule is already applied.I just wish they don,t increase the height of net

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I don't like this at all and I think the ITTF should cut out this nonsense.

I like players using their senses and adapt to different playstyles and not see coaches behave like puppet masters or behave like commanders or generals advicing their little soldiers.
I can already see that happen on a junior and cadet level.

Just my 2¢

says Hi I'm new here I would love to be kept up to date about...
says Hi I'm new here I would love to be kept up to date about...
Nov 2014
Read 4 reviews
Personally, I do not disagree with this rule. I would not say coaching in the middle would absolutely give player the answer to winning but it would psychologically encourage the players to get engaged in the game in a better manner instead of feeling too pressured and of course the tips they give would be helpful to cope with the match better. The rule goes 'provided this does not delay the progress of play' so I would say it is fair that players and coaches get to communicate more often.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This opens the door for all kinds of counter and counter-counter advice and signs. If both sides speak the same language, it can get real interesting and complex in a hurry to fool each other's coach/player team. Soon, teams will adapt to have fake signs, fake advice, back-up and 5th back-up contingencies, code words to change the play, signs to mean yes or no to the sign and that is only the tip of iceberg.

The ART of WARFARE is gunna go up ten whole levels and TT at any mid and upper amature level and above is never gunna be the same again.

That is good in that there is now a more complex warfare going on, bad in that the player/coach team will rely on the coach and a whole staff of spies and advisers...

IMO, TT is gunna be like Carl & Co on TTD with the Spy-Phone / Goon Squad adventure antics, but taken to a whole new level that has never been seen in the sport.

Then think what if one side speaks a language the other side doesn't, but understands the other side's language ??? Then Jokers like Der_Echte with 4 languages or more will be hired on the coaching staff to join and aid the fight against the enemy.

Man, ITTF couldn't have dreamed this up by themselves... it is simply Too Damned Pat.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Then when the craft or warfare is bumped up 5 levels on each side as a law of nature, teams will be looking to add an edge in the Counter-Intelligence fight, so I predict USD Carl and hiz bad-azz NSA Spy-Phone are gunna get popular before summer of 2017.

I believe there is gunna be a bidding war for Carl's services... the winner will be the side with teh biggest budget or the strongest Goon Squad.

WHO is it gunna be?

Carl might not have to work a day job to feed and clothe hiz family by next year !!!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
On the plus side, it cuts out the need for the umpire to be multi-lingual in order to be able to distinguish from supporting cheers and actual coaching advice in matches between players from different countries. It also stops the umpire from having to be able to keep track of every person in the crowd, any of whom could be shouting coaching advice in a foreign language to the player.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the rule change but I'll guess we'll see how it plays out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
On the plus side, it cuts out the need for the umpire to be multi-lingual in order to be able to distinguish from supporting cheers and actual coaching advice in matches between players from different countries. It also stops the umpire from having to be able to keep track of every person in the crowd, any of whom could be shouting coaching advice in a foreign language to the player.

I'm not necessarily a fan of the rule change but I'll guess we'll see how it plays out.

That's what drove the rule, so trust the ITTF to go in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Suga D