New Rule Approved! Coaching Between Points 2016!

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh yeah. And once the SpyPhone comes into play with the new coaching between points, there gonna have bait and capture ruses all over the place and in the middle of matches players will end up getting dropped into the sceptic tank and trapped for weeks. And then there's gonna be a lot of jumping off the Brooklyn bridge.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
My guess is any other type of rule is practically unenforceable. With hand signals, gestures, and other types of non-verbal communication that would be almost impossible to detect and enforce, might as well just allow anything during the game.

This user has no status.
It's simply a way to inject a little bit more atmosphere into the games. No more silent games that are boring to play and boring to watch. Doesn't need to be too complicated and my guess is not much will change anyway. Coaches are already shouting encouragement from the side. A good coach will leave it the player unless absolutely necessary anyway.

Overall an interesting idea. We'll see how it works out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I need to understand how coaching happens between points?

Can the player walk over there (like in the picture) to get that coaching? Would that terribly slow down the game?

I'm assuming it's with like some hand gestures or whatever and the players have to keep playing?

Can someone explain how this works a little deeper?

All in all I'll say this, anything that slows down the game and/or takes up more time hurts the game from a TV prospective so I would say that's not good for the sport.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You guys are failing to realize the potential of this rule, combined with the use of my NSA SpyPhone and the bait and capture of goon squad members, and how this will aid in the overthrow of CNT dominance. This is the only way. The radio interceptor in the SpyPhone, the false RF radiation of electronic warfare, the opposing coach, by using his SpyPhone, sending CNT members the exact wrong coaching information....man, just wait. This will change the whole game.

And when you guys are in the middle of watching a match and FZD, or whoever your favorite CNT player happens to be, vanishes out of thin air in the middle of a huge point, and it happened so fast and all that is left is a mist that prevented you from actually seeing him fall through the trap door directly under his side of play....well, you will have to see it to believe it.

These phones are already on order from all the major National teams. I mean, how do you think Great Britain did so well in the Olympics and WTTC??? They had been testing out the product ahead of production dates. But they only got the Beta version. Just wait till people are using the Real McCoy!!!

This user has no status.
I need to understand how coaching happens between points?

Can the player walk over there (like in the picture) to get that coaching? Would that terribly slow down the game?

I'm assuming it's with like some hand gestures or whatever and the players have to keep playing?

Can someone explain how this works a little deeper?

All in all I'll say this, anything that slows down the game and/or takes up more time hurts the game from a TV prospective so I would say that's not good for the sport.
As a coach, you can tell your player whatever you want. You can either stand nearby the box and whisper or sit on a chair more distantly and yell to him. It is not allowed for the player to deliberately walk to the coach as this would slow down the game, however, it is possible if the ball flies far away out of the box. Slowing down the game is never allowed with that rule. It is neither allowed for the player to answer or ask questions, a dialogue is forbidden.

What I have experienced so far is that even with that rule nothing has changed. But i believe that it takes some time for coaches and players to study signs or code words. Only once a czech coach sometimes said something to his czech player between points, only they understood that.

I don't like that rule neither but it makes the fact easier that a lot of people still tried to coach their players against orders. Everyone is allowed to do that now. I also agree on the possibilities to manipulate or distract the opponent. I hope that most coaches are fair enough not to do that. And I really hope there won't be too many coaches yelling at their young players between every point.

Reactions: Suga D
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Now, the success of the player coach team will depend on how large and effective the signal jammer, the false signaler and mind game coaches can operate more efficiently than opposing forces...

It is war at several whole new levels.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
it is absolutely ridiculous rule.

Sep 2016
I don,t think the players like it also. I don,t want to be disturbed during my game, what I mean is I don,t want my coach keeps stopping me playing.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
In my local league in Bristol in the UK they are not going to approve the rule. Heres an email I received this morning for members of the league:

Dear Member
The League Executive have asked me to remind you about Coaching during League and Cup matches.
Coaching in League and Cup matches should NOT take place between points.
Coaching can only take place during the interval in games or between matches.

Should you have any concerns with this please feel free to contact me.
We are aware that changes are being implemented by the ITTF but these will not apply in the Bristol League.

I hope you have a successful and enjoyable season and may the nets and edges be with you.

It seems local leagues etc can choose whether to implement the new rule. What have your leagues decided to do?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I would change the rule completely different. If I take timeout that is my time, my opponent stays by the table. Only I can receive some tips from my coach. Timeout should be advantage for the player who takes it, not for the opponent. Coaching between the points is ridiculous. There will be a lot of screamig especially from chinese coaches.

This user has no status.
I think they should take this rule to the next level. A player should be able to chose which coach he gets advice from - his own or his opponent's. Also, coaches should be allowed to blast air horns in order to make it more challenging for opposing players to hear advice. Also also, coaches should be allowed to give advice to and receive advice from opposing coaches as well. Finally, players should be able to give each other advice as well, BUT, players can ABSOLUTELY NOT under any circumstances give advice to themselves.

This user has no status.
It is important to know that these rules are not just started by rumours and then magically come into effect worldwide. ITTF have a process which is followed and these rules are proposed, then voted on by worldwide representatives (45 in this case) annually. This one was passed at the 2016 BoD (Board of Directors) meeting, the minutes of which are available here:
http://www.ittf.com/Reports/BoD/2016_ITTF_BoD.pdf
"22 Proposed by the Rules Committee To amend 3.5.1:3.5.1 Advice 3.5.1.3 Players may receive advice at any time except during rallies; provided that continuity of play is not affected (3.4.4.1); if any authorised person gives advice illegally the umpire shall hold up a yellow card to warn him or her that any further such offence will result in his or her dismissal from the playing area.Effective date: 1 October 2016 Passed"

National organisations that want to take part in ITTF events, i.e. all nations, need to make these rules effective on the given dates. Usually they will give regional (local) leagues extra time to put it into effect, but not always. That is up to the national organisation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ardenhouse165