Who do you think will win the China Open 2016?

• Ma Long

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Fan Zhendong

Votes: 25 35.7%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Zhang Jike

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Fang Bo

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Tiago Apolonia

• Andrej Gacina

• Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
Being an FZD fan I am probably abit biased, did ML play particularly badly?

My observations of the final:
-FZD has improved his FH return off the serve
-He has more patience
-deployed the banana flick intelligently
-targeted ML's BH
-varied the pace on his BH well & showed more flexibilty with FH
-still needs work mentally, as indicated by time out when closing out the third and that he had large leads in most sets but only won by a few points in the end

Reactions: Dan
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
We have a winner! The ever improving Fan Zhendong defeats Olympic Champion Ma Long 4-0 at the CHINA OPEN!

d7e77c545b7e20cd3da88a735854469c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shuki and TurboZ
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm not surprised by FZD victory, i voted for him.
After his Olympic gold, MA probably cooled off a bit. FZD against ML recently were close calls, while FZD this time had 100% motivation and preparation, while ML was not at his best

That being said, its an important victory for FZD, which will give him even more confidence. I think we have the next World Champion and Olympic Champion here.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
-FZD has improved his FH return off the serve
How do you see that? I have only watched the ITTF highlights. But from 18 points shown where Fan was forced to play FH push he won only 5. However, Ma Long did not play as consistently to Fan's short FH side as he did in the World championship's final last year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
OK. There was the 2012 World Cup vs CCY where he flew in late. Not the World Tour but still an ITTF event.

I see. Thanks. It is kind of funny because ML loss to CCY 0:4 in the Qualify Group but managed to proceed and beat Maze 4:0, XX 4:0 and Timo 4:0 in the Final. Impressive! CNT really knows when to loss without any ill effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I see. Thanks. It is kind of funny because ML loss to CCY 0:4 in the Qualify Group but managed to proceed and beat Maze 4:0, XX 4:0 and Timo 4:0 in the Final. Impressive! CNT really knows when to loss without any ill effect.

Nah, he got extremely lucky. If CCY lost to Crisan by 2-4 or worse, Ma Long would not have made it out of the group. As it happened, CCY lost 3-4 - CCY could have lost the match by more and eliminated Ma Long so credit to CCY for playing it straight. It also ended up costing XX a chance at playing Ma Long in the final as they played in the Semi-final because Ma Long came second in the group.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Nah, he got extremely lucky. If CCY lost to Crisan by 2-4 or worse, Ma Long would not have made it out of the group. As it happened, CCY lost 3-4 - CCY could have lost the match by more and eliminated Ma Long so credit to CCY for playing it straight. It also ended up costing XX a chance at playing Ma Long in the final as they played in the Semi-final because Ma Long came second in the group.

Good point! Now I remember all that and how XX loss to Samsonov in the third place match.

Last edited: