How to Improve my Forehand Topspin

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Hello everyone. I Just want to improve my forehand topspin. In forehand topspin, I can't make more spin like others.Please give me some suggestions to improve. I uploaded my forehand spin videos. Please take a look and tell me where are the mistakes.
TIA

Multi-ball ::::

:::

One Ball ::::

:::

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
imho,

nothing wrong with your technique. Better than majority of Us, actually. [emoji4]

and your hook punch style topspin actually have bigger safety margin than our straight arm loop style. [emoji6]

I recommend you to try a session or two, to swing as fast as you could, don't worry about accuracy, on multi ball. you will be surprised on the amount of topspin you generate on perfect stroke. [emoji6]

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Hridoy, why do you think you cannot make enough spin ? Can you serve light underspin short , ask somebody to push and loop on the third ball and record the video ? I am thinking that will give more information. I could not see anything wrong with the technique in the video you have posted, may be you can try to experiment on using a little looser grip on the paddle so that the snap is faster .... I will let others comment , but really I don't see much of an issue ... just keep drilling ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm not really sure what your level is, or what kind of shot quality you want, but the shots that you are making are pretty good. Good job.

Maybe you can show us when you need more spin; maybe it's against underspin, or against half long shots/serves.

Against topspin, you seem okay.
If you want to improve shot quality on the topspin balls, then focus on spinning the ball forward and swinging through the ball faster. You should be able to get a faster shot with either the same amount of spin or more.

You are already rotating your body and snapping your forearm, so that's good.

This user has no status.
Looks pretty good there. You are completing the stroke from ready postion through to follow through quite well.
Can you keep that form & consistency when you add movement to the drill?

If you are wanting to add more spin all you need to do is brush the ball lighter and go through it a bit quicker. Perhaps
too add more speed push with your legs a bit more or take a bigger back swing (straighter arm on backswing).

Hello everyone. I Just want to improve my forehand topspin. In forehand topspin, I can't make more spin like others.Please give me some suggestions to improve. I uploaded my forehand spin videos. Please take a look and tell me where are the mistakes.
TIA

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You have an advanced stroke already and hit the ball a lot like I do. Your stroke comes round the side of the ball and doesn't play over the ball so you get more side topspin than pure topspin. IF you want more pure topspin, make sure your racket is parallel to the floor as opposed to pointing downwards at the end of your backswing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Agree with others that the form looks good. I have nothing to add technique wise that hasn't already been said.

I think it's worth noting, and it's something I'm focusing on also, is are you working out? Lifting? Core work? Leg work? Power comes from the legs.

You have good form. Now maximize it and make sure you're in as good of shape and as strong as possible.

If you're already doing that, congrats.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Checklist:

1) Hips, Check
2) Core Rotation, Check
3) Weight Transfer, Check
4) Forearm Snap, Check
5) Wrist Whip, Check

It does check all the important bases.

In the first video it does look like your feet are too squared to the table and your right foot should be further back. But in the second video, it looks like that is, at least, to some extent, corrected. So, as Der_Echte says, we would have to see the FH in real match play to see what it actually does well and what it does not.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Checklist:

1) Hips, Check
2) Core Rotation, Check
3) Weight Transfer, Check
4) Forearm Snap, Check
5) Wrist Whip, Check

It does check all the important bases.

In the first video it does look like your feet are too squared to the table and your right foot should be further back. But in the second video, it looks like that is, at least, to some extent, corrected. So, as Der_Echte says, we would have to see the FH in real match play to see what it actually does well and what it does not.

http://www.samsondubina.com/coaching/stance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
the general form of the stroke looks ok to me. good timing, good balance

I think though towards the end of the move, your upper body goes up, and your general move as a result is a bit too vertical.
As a result, thats why i think your topspin looks a bit slow to me, and lacks power.
you should try to keep your upper body lower all the time.

also i think you are not explosive enough, you should rearm quicker, try to start your gesture 1 fraction of second LATER, so that overall it will be quicker. Relax even more your arm and wrist, all the time except at the impact. It looks too "linear" to me.

move your legs more even for a drill like this one. its all on the table, maybe try to play straight from time to time, it will force you to adjust your legs

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo and Hridoy