Getting frustrated - I think I've damaged my progress

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Starting to realise that I've done myself no favours over the last few months by changing my rubbers about too much. I think I need to just go back to basics with a decent allround/attacking rubber. I thinking about 1.9mm srivers on both sides but I'm open to suggestions. I've only just ditched long pimples on the BH so I'm trying to develop a looping game. Am I going down the right road with srivers or is there a better alternative?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Starting to realise that I've done myself no favours over the last few months by changing my rubbers about too much. I think I need to just go back to basics with a decent allround/attacking rubber. I thinking about 1.9mm srivers on both sides but I'm open to suggestions. I've only just ditched long pimples on the BH so I'm trying to develop a looping game. Am I going down the right road with srivers or is there a better alternative?

It doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Just continue to train, pick something and stick with it, and all will be well. Whether you are on the best training program in the world or not, everyone goes through funky and tough times. Eventually, as long as in addition to your technique, you are looking at your plays and fixing how they win you points and minimizing when they cost you points, all will be well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I often see Sriver and Mark V being mentioned in one sentence. I guess these two are the most popular classic rubbers by far.
I'm a new player myself and I use Mark V 2.0mm rubbers. I can't compare it with Sriver, but to me it seems Mark V is really a great rubber for a developing player. It's a more control based rubber, which is something a developing player wants. It's pretty versatile and it allows you to practice/develop all strokes in the book. From what I've read, the same applies to Sriver, but I've never tried it myself.

I also tried Donic Coppa rubbers for a short time, they also seem pretty suitable for developing your game.

I just saw that Mark V is on offer on Tabletennis11, http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/yasaka-mark-v
It might be a very interesting option for you.

Btw, what blade are you using?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Testing equipment can be good, it can give you insight to how different rubbers and blade work. You can understand if the equipment you had before was good for your style or if something else would be better. Like you'll learn that as a looper that loves spin, you'll likely be better off with an allround to offensive minus blade that's flexible.

You didn't hinder your development by messing with equipment, you were still improving just not as quickly as you would have been if you stuck with something. Imagine it this way, if you stuck with your equipment you wouldn't have ever had to think about it or how to adjust to the change in equipment. Your focus could be more on developing your skill and strokes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I'm currently using a donic appelgren allplay senso v1 blade. I assume this would be compatible with both the sriver or mark v rubbers?

The senso V1 has this hollow handle that I personally want no part of. If you can make it work for you, great.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
I made a post about my blade just the other day. I was asking if the hollow handle was a good idea because it makes every set-up head heavy. Is a head-heavy bat a bad idea in your opinion Next level? Or is there another reason you dislike the concept?

This user has no status.
If you're on a tight budget you could snag some Dawei 2008 XP too, it's in the same class as Sriver/Mark V. Some say it's heavy but it's not too bad, I had a great experience with it. Just throwing extra options out there in case you're a cheapskate like me ;) otherwise just keep up the practice and development, don't be so afraid of missing shots while you're developing your mechanics, and maybe stay away from competition for awhile. Worrying too much about scoring points and trying to develop your strokes at the same time will damage progress just as bad as changing equipment too much, maybe worse.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I made a post about my blade just the other day. I was asking if the hollow handle was a good idea because it makes every set-up head heavy. Is a head-heavy bat a bad idea in your opinion Next level? Or is there another reason you dislike the concept?

Everyone has personal preferences. I have a designed head heavy blade for swing practice so I don't feel head heaviness as much anymore, but I try to avoid it because it can make recovery of the wrists from whip motions challenging. But this is not all or nothing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Handle hollow/head heavy: if your actually interested in the subject read this thread:

Re-Building the Beast:

http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...-Building-the-BEAST&highlight=Beast+Der_Echte

Read at least the first several pages. It will explain a lot about hollow handles and solid handles and blade balance.

I saw your thread. But, the information is already out there. So I didn't get around to posting in your thread.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
As far as rubbers, if you are playing in the modern era, unless you are really not very good, I would actually recommend you use a basic, older generation tensor rubber like Xiom Vega Pro or Vega Europe for developing. At some point you will need to jump to tensors. That kind of tensor will mean you are developing the ability to spin with a rubber that had good control but is more like the modern rubbers you will end up using.

But if budget is an issue, or, as TheKnife said, "you are a cheapskate" which can be a good thing with TT equipment, Dawei 2008XP would be a decent choice.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Funny you say this. I blogged about this very subject yesterday. I've done it too... But no longer.

http://chroniclesofgossima.blogspot.com/

Consequently, I've seen my training partner, who has been playing with the same setup for the last 3-4 years take a fairly sizable lead over me in just being more consistent.

Just pick something and go with it. If you can get yourself to stop switching, awesome. If you're like me and can't resist the temptation of picking up one of your other blades and gluing some different combination, do yourself a favor and sell everything you have except for one setup.

Good luck my friend. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 4 reviews
Pick one set up and go with it. You won't have damaged your game very seriously and will get it back. Try to keep it simple pick a set up that you can't go very wrong with like sriver both sides and stick with it at least for a few months. Consistency is key, the more you play with a setup the less you'll think about your blade and rubbers and then you can focus on improving your actual game. Try not to over complicate things it creates doubts not to mention being very expensive with the price of equipment these days.