New setup syndrome !

This user has no status.
Guys seriously, since I'm a novice I'm experimenting with different setups all the time, and everytime I have a new one in my hand I'm nearly Ma Long. I tested my current setup for the first time two weeks ago and I won two players at my club I NEVER won before . Then with time things just roll back to however they were. anyone else ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Guys seriously, since I'm a novice I'm experimenting with different setups all the time, and everytime I have a new one in my hand I'm nearly Ma Long. I tested my current setup for the first time two weeks ago and I won two players at my club I NEVER won before . Then with time things just roll back to however they were. anyone else ?

Maybe you just like new rubber? Or you feel good with new equipment and are more confident thinking it's better. Or you could just get excited which gives you bursts of extra energy, wanting to see what the equipment can do you go for more.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

It's not as uncommon as you think. The problem is that over time, unless you are training, the brain resets to producing the same quality of shots you demanded from it earlier. When you switch equipment, it has to be a long term choice based on specific desired results. Short term fixes will always revert to the mean.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It's the complete opposite for me. I find myself in a vicious circle of keep trying new rubbers and never being satisfied with any of them

I have responded to you already but the bottom line is that it hardly makes a difference. Obviously it is easier to loop with some rubbers and block with others but the real differentiator is always the hours spent training and the reliability of your technique relative to your practice hours.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
but the real differentiator is always the hours spent training and the reliability of your technique relative to your practice hours.

You're 100% right, but you know better than anyone, that the itch to buy a new blade or rubber and switch to that for a while always seems to come back. Thinking ooo, that will be good for my game.

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose

When I first switched from my old Stiga Contra/Aurus setup to my Joola K7/Rhyzm combination, nearly two years ago,I found my play instantly improved too. The difference in my case is that I've never looked back since - obviously there's something about the newer racquet that just suits my natural game better. I recently swapped the well-worn Rhyzm for Evolution and that seems to suit me as well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Yep. The testing a new blade and/or rubber. Gets those endorphins rushing. You play loose can want to see how well you can spin it. It's fun. But don't be fooled. It's always a short-term thing from what I've experienced.

Maybe a reason why pros change their rubbers so often, even if their still in decent condition

says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
says I am just looking for someplace to play during a week...
Mar 2016
I had to laugh reading this post as I also play golf and we always joke that you hit a club great when testing it out at the store and its good for a few days until you take the stickers off of it then you revert back to the old swing and shots. As for Table Tennis I have a stack of 12-15 unopened rubber sheets of various types I was working through but at least for now I have been happy for about a month with my current set-up. As Next Level said, now it is just up to me to practice and improve.

Reactions: Suga D