My backhand is beyond horrible

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: over the last few years Ma Long has been using H3 on BH for plastic ball. HOWEVER, it is not a regular H3. It has a special softer sponge that has catapult effect like a Euro rubber. You can't actually get that rubber on the market.

And most top pros use some version of Tenergy for BH. Most.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If your BH is really REALLY GOOD, H3 is fine. But if you do not have really big impact on BH it is really not good for BH.

It does sound like it is better than the Stiga rubber for your BH. But you need to have a powerful BIG stroke to get what H3 does best from it.

I would recommend you use a rubber that is good for developing your BH if you want to work on it:

Xiom Vega Pro or Vega Europe
Tibhar Aurus Soft
Tibhar Evolution FX-P
Butterfly Tenergy O5fx

Or you could decide that you just want to use pips for BH and change your style.

Hahahaha,

Carl saw me use a Der_Echte Special 896 combo with a 3rd old sheet of Sigma Euro and a 3 yr old sheet of H3 NEO. Until I showed him the bat, he must have been thinking it was some hotshot pro version of Tenergy that would be a sure-fire Bat-Sign to have the Goon Squad sent out against us for illegal use of Pro Version of Tenergy.

Even more intruiging was I weighted the handles, and all my talk about Der_Echte Special while I lived in Korea made Carl order a few 896 from Colestt.com and find out for himself what all the fuss was. He knew instantly after hitting with my "Doctored" 896s what was up immediately. (positive points)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Hahahaha,

Carl saw me use a Der_Echte Special 896 combo with a 3rd old sheet of Sigma Euro and a 3 yr old sheet of H3 NEO. Until I showed him the bat, he must have been thinking it was some hotshot pro version of Tenergy that would be a sure-fire Bat-Sign to have the Goon Squad sent out against us for illegal use of Pro Version of Tenergy.

Even more intruiging was I weighted the handles, and all my talk about Der_Echte Special while I lived in Korea made Carl order a few 896 from Colestt.com and find out for himself what all the fuss was. He knew instantly after hitting with my "Doctored" 896s what was up immediately. (positive points)

You realize new forum members have no idea what you're talking about most the time right? I learn a ton from your posts now and they're also super entertaining. When I first joined the forum I had to wait for Carl to dumb down your posts for me. So many inside jokes that I couldn't pick and pull the valuable information from the post.

I take it for granted now because I read your post and don't even realize that it wouldn't make sense from an outside perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
If your BH is really REALLY GOOD, H3 is fine. But if you do not have really big impact on BH it is really not good for BH.

It does sound like it is better than the Stiga rubber for your BH. But you need to have a powerful BIG stroke to get what H3 does best from it.

I would recommend you use a rubber that is good for developing your BH if you want to work on it:

Xiom Vega Pro or Vega Europe
Tibhar Aurus Soft
Tibhar Evolution FX-P
Butterfly Tenergy O5fx

Or you could decide that you just want to use pips for BH and change your style.

You talk about powerful big stroke. That is one thing I do have. The only thing that is a problem is how to control all that power. When I do try offensive gameplay I sometimes manage one or two good shots, but they are inconsistent. Sometimes, (and sometimes means almost 80% of the time) they go out. I'm never out of power. But my backhand hits the ball aggressively into the net, or off the table. I can hit a ball standing far from the table and it will still go off table from the other side. It doesn't go on the other player's court.

Sent from my LTE3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
You talk about powerful big stroke. That is one thing I do have. The only thing that is a problem is how to control all that power. When I do try offensive gameplay I sometimes manage one or two good shots, but they are inconsistent. Sometimes, (and sometimes means almost 80% of the time) they go out. I'm never out of power. But my backhand hits the ball aggressively into the net, or off the table. I can hit a ball standing far from the table and it will still go off table from the other side. It doesn't go on the other player's court.

If you have no control on the stroke then you don't have the stroke. Clearly the problem is that your stroke is too big you just told us. Shorten your stroke.

This user has no status.
If you have no control on the stroke then you don't have the stroke. Clearly the problem is that your stroke is too big you just told us. Shorten your stroke.

That's my concern. What do I do? Reps? Because telling myself that my power is too much, and using less power brings it to a point where the shot might not even reach the other person's court. To put it in simpler words, the shot is either too big, or too small. And yes, clearly, I have no stroke. You're very right about that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
That's my concern. What do I do? Reps? Because telling myself that my power is too much, and using less power brings it to a point where the shot might not even reach the other person's court. To put it in simpler words, the shot is either too big, or too small. And yes, clearly, I have no stroke. You're very right about that.

shorten the stroke. if it goes into the net, your paddle is too closed for the speed that you're going through the ball and the spin that is on their ball. if something isn't working keep changing it until it works. I can't teach you how to adapt to everyones spin. your angle will be different for every ball.

Reactions: Syed Mansoor Qutab
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Actually, what you need to do is find a robot so you don't torture anyone else and do thousands and thousands of reps; like a few hundred thousand.

A big stroke that lands out is clearly not a good big stroke. Something is going wrong and based on that, YOU STILL DON'T WANT to use a BH rubber that could only be used by someone EXTREMELY SKILLED who also has a very powerful BH.

And the fact that NOBODY in the top 1,000 in the world use H3 with any of the standard hard sponges FOR BH shows that, even when a player is skilled enough to use a rubber like H3 on BH, THEY DON'T.

Get something that helps you improve your BH. Not something that someone arbitrarily gave you without thought for whether it would be a good rubber for what you actually need.

And the idea that you say you are playing for 10 years, that you take giant swings with your BH and that it goes on LESS THAN 80% of the time makes me think, the only solution for getting to the bottom of what is going on would be VIDEO FOOTAGE.

Something in the information is not adding up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
If you have been playing for a decade and still can't control your stroke, then there is clearly a problem. At the very least, you admitted that you have a problem there, so kudos.

You know what the backhand is supposed to look like right? Have you ever tried to copy the motion in front of a mirror? Seeing what you're doing is very helpful for self diagnosis, assuming you can see what is wrong. A video is even better, because it let's other people see what is wrong.

I think it's about time you give us a video. By the way, when you make the video, please let us see you doing various other shots and points so that we could accurately see what level you are at. Until then, we can't really give you solid advice.

You mentioned that your bigshots are never well controlled. Out of curiosity, are you doing fine with driving the ball with the backhand?

If not, then clearly you need forget your pride and relearn the basics. Your 10 years sounds like my 2 years.

If driving the ball is easy for you and backhand looping is a problem, then I have a feeling that you aren't spinning the ball. Either that, or you aren't spinning the ball forward.

Honestly, your problem sounds like a problem that a tennis player trying to play table tennis would have. I can easily imagine a tennis player trying to make big backhand shots that don't go anywhere on the table.

Reactions: NextLevel
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hahahaha,

As far as Der_Echte's post, hahahaha. Sometimes I'm not sure if I'm coherent either. But a TT adventure with Der_Echte is worth a thousand crazy stories.

It is sufficient to say that Der_ can hit a powerful, spinny backhand using a banana peel as a rubber. And some of the rubbers he uses may have less grab than a banana peel.

But then their is also the boost factor and that Der_Echte has genuine bear phat in his sweat and always cleans his rubbers with the profusion of sweat from off of his jersey which boosts the topsheet and extends the life of the rubber. We are in the process of bottling that mixture. The big wigs at CNT have tested the boost effect and found it far superior to the banned Haifu Oil that they currently use for boosting their rubbers.

But the beast mod handles, well, those make all his blades feel like pro model blades that can't be bought commercially. With all these things going for him, it's no wonder why the goon squad has chased us so often over the years.