Soft Rubber for BH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
It's probably EJ virus running rampant again for me but oh what the hell.

I'm currently enjoying my setup. It's fast enough while being stupid spinny (I've had 3 people saying "so spinny" when I opened a half-long push) and the crisp feeling of OSP V+ is just a bliss. The weight though might be something that's a bit iffy for me. I've always liked a moderate weight setup and a 88g blade combined with T05 and Rakza 7 is not what you could call "pretty light". I'm also wondering whether a soft rubber would help my BH development. I've used vega europe before on MJ SZLC and I loved it. It was light and you have infinite dwell time on loops. It bottomed out pretty quick though on punch blocks. However, it was a 2.0mm sponge and not the max one.

Some of the rubbers I have in mind are Vega europe, Rakza 7 Soft, T05 FX or T80 FX. I'm looking for a rubber that's versatile. I'm getting my BH opening and flick down while working on doing a more compact and efficient close to table loop. I don't really mind getting a tenergy for BH as long as it's indeed worth paying over the cheaper options.

In terms of skill level, I havent played competition in a while but I can 1 set against 2000 rated players with the rest getting around 6 to 8 points so you can be the judge.

On an additional note, please don't suggest me to change the FH rubber into something lighter. T05 stays on my FH no matter what. The spring sponge addiction is real for me :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
T05 is pretty soft already? ... Vega Europe is a great choice

You might find the first part to be a pretty exclusive opinion ;)
Compared to the other rubbers mentioned at least I´d say t05 is a lot harder.

But I agree fully with what you say about Vega Europe. It´s cheap, easy to play yet powerful, and it´s pretty durable compared to a lot of other soft rubbers.

This user has no status.
What is the general opinion on the best soft backhand rubbers which in addition to having a decent amount of spin also have good control? I've tried 3 backhand rubbers in the last couple of years - Geospin Tacky (not soft) , Tenergy 05 FX and Tihbar Aurus Soft and without doubt the best for control is the Geospin Tacky followed by the Aurus Soft when pushing but the Tenergy 05FX when blocking! However, the Geospin Tacky lacks the spin of the other 2 when I'm attempting topspin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
What is the general opinion on the best soft backhand rubbers which in addition to having a decent amount of spin also have good control? I've tried 3 backhand rubbers in the last couple of years - Geospin Tacky (not soft) , Tenergy 05 FX and Tihbar Aurus Soft and without doubt the best for control is the Geospin Tacky followed by the Aurus Soft when pushing but the Tenergy 05FX when blocking! However, the Geospin Tacky lacks the spin of the other 2 when I'm attempting topspin.

A general opinion will be hard to find, and any gain in spin, speed or catapult usually is associated with a lack of control.

You might want to take a closer look at the Tibhar Evolution FX-S. It is a very spinny "medium minus" rubber, but opposed to other rubbers of its nominal hardness it is less bouncy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Beat and grip are very soft. Loved them both.

I really like them both, too. But both very soft?

Rasant Beat has a 37,5 degree sponge, that is very soft and for that it is a powerful rubber.

But with a sponge hardness of 45 degrees Grip passes as medium, even if it has a softer topsheet than some other rubbers, it is - in my opinion - by no means a soft, let alone very soft rubber.

Reactions: NextLevel

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
I really like them both, too. But both very soft?

Rasant Beat has a 37,5 degree sponge, that is very soft and for that it is a powerful rubber.

But with a sponge hardness of 45 degrees Grip passes as medium, even if it has a softer topsheet than some other rubbers, it is - in my opinion - by no means a soft, let alone very soft rubber.
I was thinking the same...

Very soft : Xiom Vega Elite, Tibhar Genius Sound, Rasant Powersponge, ...

Reactions: NextLevel
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It sounds like you are happy with your setup. Why change? IMHO there is no reason to think that going softer will help the development of your BH. What you use now seems fine. Weight should be ok too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Yes I would classify both of them as very soft. With grip you can really feel the ball sink into the porous sponge. I would consider tibhar evolution fx-p soft too, but grip is a bit softer than that.

Beat is so soft that it almost feels like mush on occasions and you lose feeling of the sponge all together.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yes I would classify both of them as very soft. With grip you can really feel the ball sink into the porous sponge. I would consider tibhar evolution fx-p soft too, but grip is a bit softer than that.

Beat is so soft that it almost feels like mush on occasions and you lose feeling of the sponge all together.

I never thought of Grip as very soft - soft topsheet, maybe, but I used to bash the ball with pleasure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews

Ok, so again numbers.

Evolution FX-P ranges from 39.1 - 41.1 degrees.
Rasant Grip is 45.

But Grip is softer? I don´t think the topsheet is soft enough to equal 4 degrees of sponge hardness. My personal experience also says a different thing.

I don´t doubt your judgment, but I am getting a feeling you must have had a mislabeled Grip, because it obviously is different to the many I´ve had.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Ok, so again numbers.

Evolution FX-P ranges from 39.1 - 41.1 degrees.
Rasant Grip is 45.

But Grip is softer? I don´t think the topsheet is soft enough to equal 4 degrees of sponge hardness. My personal experience also says a different thing.

I don´t doubt your judgment, but I am getting a feeling you must have had a mislabeled Grip, because it obviously is different to the many I´ve had.

okay fine, hurricane rubber 38degree. comparing degrees in different brands is like comparing a speed stat of a different brand. If I have a mislabeled grip I'd have to certainly email tabletennis11 because then I'd have 6 sheets mislabeled.

Last edited: