Soft Rubber for BH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
okay fine, hurricane rubber 38degree. comparing degrees in different brands is like comparing a speed stat of a different brand.

Not entirely correct. Comparing Chinese hardness figures to European or Butterfly´s own is misleading - agree.

Comparing company speed stats can also be largely forgotten - agree.

I would even support your statement if one brand called their rubber "medium", the other "soft" and both were nearly identical.

But both Tibhar and andro rubbers are manufactured in the same factory and this factory uses the same index (degree shore) to give exact figures.

But anyway, it´s not all about sponge hardness, so if the overall feeling of Rasant Grip is softer than that of FX-P or nearly equal to that of Rasant Beat, maybe I´ve had the mislabeled ones.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
But anyway, it´s not all about sponge hardness, so if the overall feeling of Rasant Grip is softer than that of FX-P or nearly equal to that of Rasant Beat, maybe I´ve had the mislabeled ones.

no no no, Beat is absolutly much softer than grip, it's hands down the softest rubber I've ever used.

I would consider:

Beat = Super Soft
Grip or fx-p or JP03 = soft
EL-p or Tenergy = Medium
Mx-p = Hard
Hurricane = Super Hard

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I still come back to this sentence from the OP.

"I'm also wondering whether a soft rubber would help my BH development."

Why do you wonder this? I know a lot of people think this way based on stuff I see on forums, but I am just curious where the idea comes from, or at least the basis for it.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Why do you wonder this? I know a lot of people think this way based on stuff I see on forums, but I am just curious where the idea comes from, or at least the basis for it.
\

Softer rubber allows for slower swings to generate spin, eases pressure on the technique of the user.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
I've had experience with rasant beat, grip, powergrip. Beat and grip are very soft. Loved them both. Topsheets are extremely grippy too, but they die pretty quick. Both are EXCELLENT rubbers for development.

Hi, Shuki. In your experience, how quickly do Beat and Grip die? And do they mostly lose their spin, speed, both?

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

Because previously when I used a vega europe on acoustic, it was the best setup I've ever tried for pushing game. I had a lot of dwell time and it was really easy to control the power and spin put into the ball

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
OK, I kind of anticipated the answers I would get. The reason I asked the question of "why" is one coach many years ago weaned me off of quite soft rubbers in general, suggesting that it was a bit of a crutch that would actually hinder development over the long term. He gave me this advice based on his own personal experience, which was based on advice he had gotten in China and Korea. Right now I am using MX-P both sides and might use T05 if it wasn't double the price. (I'm not saying everybody should use those rubbers on BH, mind you, far from it, just mentioning my own preferences).

I think that as someone else said, this is largely a matter of taste, although it would certainly have an effect on how you might hit the ball.

However, the idea that softer rubber would somehow enhance "development" of a stroke --- I don't think I buy into that idea, at least not as something that should be accepted without question. (Or in other words, I strongly question that premise).

The other thing of course, is the OP's original statement that he is happy with what he is using now. So...????????

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
OK, I kind of anticipated the answers I would get. The reason I asked the question of "why" is one coach many years ago weaned me off of quite soft rubbers in general, suggesting that it was a bit of a crutch that would actually hinder development over the long term. He gave me this advice based on his own personal experience, which was based on advice he had gotten in China and Korea. Right now I am using MX-P both sides and might use T05 if it wasn't double the price. (I'm not saying everybody should use those rubbers on BH, mind you, far from it, just mentioning my own preferences).

I think that as someone else said, this is largely a matter of taste, although it would certainly have an effect on how you might hit the ball.

However, the idea that softer rubber would somehow enhance "development" of a stroke --- I don't think I buy into that idea, at least not as something that should be accepted without question. (Or in other words, I strongly question that premise).

The other thing of course, is the OP's original statement that he is happy with what he is using now. So...????????

OP is an inveterate EJ. Without that context, you are missing a lot of relevant information. In China, they really believe in ball bashing and softer rubbers make such ball bashing have far less predictable results closer to the table, especially vs topspin.

In any case I don't believe a rubber over 40 or 42 degrees really qualifies as soft by Euro standards. It can be relatively soft or feel soft to a pro, but it is not what people would call really soft. I don't think Vega Euro is below 40.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

The rakza 7 feels nice to me but for me the overall setup is a tad on the heavy side and I'm having somewhat of a difficulty with BH loop.

In the first place, my BH attacking game is way below my FH. People who play with me pretty often never give me a long push to the FH because I always know how to open the ball. So I pivot around to the BH side to open most of the time but the better players know how to push it faster and deeper into the BH side so a stable BH opening loop is necessary for me.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Don't worry about the weight. You are strong. You will get used to it. Some of that can be in our heads. Think something like: "I want more inertia behind the ball. I wish the blade was a few grams heavier!" for the next few training sessions and see if that helps you get used to the weight faster. The weight you got is not heavy.

With the soft BH rubber issue, I was also thinking how, if the setup feels good, you should probably just leave it. Maybe Vega Europe will make the blade feel less heavy. I doubt it will change things that much though.

That being said, I'm sure you will be fine with either rubber.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I have tried Calibra Sound/Spin, Airoc Astro S, Rasant Powersponge, Tibhar EL-P/FX-P and Bluefire M2/M3 the last months. I was "safest" and "lightest" with Stiga but not enough spin for the serve (have short pips in fh so twiddle when I serve). Good power with EL-P and FX-P but have for now settled with Bluefire M3. Suits IMO my game the best. Ok spin, nice arc, enough speed and still not that spin sensitive like I felt Powersponge (and the different Tenergys) being and best of all; a great feel, almost like the old days;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The rakza 7 feels nice to me but for me the overall setup is a tad on the heavy side and I'm having somewhat of a difficulty with BH loop.

In the first place, my BH attacking game is way below my FH. People who play with me pretty often never give me a long push to the FH because I always know how to open the ball. So I pivot around to the BH side to open most of the time but the better players know how to push it faster and deeper into the BH side so a stable BH opening loop is necessary for me.

Your backhand technique is likely just bad. Start with that and post video of your backhand loop practice. If we address that, then your thoughts about weight may go away.

This user has no status.
Your backhand technique is likely just bad. Start with that and post video of your backhand loop practice. If we address that, then your thoughts about weight may go away.

Very good advice. If you do not have good technique to begin with, you will have a difficult time choosing the best equipment for you.
First build a solid skill foundation, and then support it with the proper type of equipment for your style. No one can give you the the right advice
if they cannot see your style of play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I would reccomend the Donic Sonex JP Gold
This is the BH Rubber of Jorgen perrson who had one of the best Backhands of all time and is currently coach of dimitri ovtcharov, one of the best backhand dominant players in the world.
This rubber is quite soft and relatively light.
If you like playing without very much spin on the BH (i.e. blocking, smashing and pushing) this rubber would be great for you