TTDaily Members Show Their True Essence

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Okay, so the idea with this thread: you get your chance to show some of what makes you who you really are.

You can add videos of you playing:

This is a short clip of me playing recently with OldSchoolPenHold:

It could be history of your TT playing.

In the 1970s I loved playing what back then I called Ping Pong, and played with friends at a tennis club during the summer. They were all tennis players and all better than me. I was terrible and still loved playing and was addicted to playing. But we played basement pong tennis style. No backspin. All fast drives. They had tennis technique for FH and BH and I tried to hit my FH like Bjorn Borg's tennis strokes. Hahaha. I played in the summers for maybe 3 summers. Perhaps 20 times each summer.

Then in 1991 I found a real table tennis club. I never even knew they existed. For 3 months, between jobs, I played as much as possible. I was still really bad. I mostly played on the robot because EVERYBODY at the club was way better than me and I didn't really know how to hit a BH. I did learn BH on that robot. But then I got another job and stopped playing long before I ever got better than terrible. Of course I thought I was awesome. But....I wasn't.

One time at the club I did beat this kid who told me he just broke 1500. At the time I didn't really know what he meant. But I honestly don't know how he could have been 1500. He was better than me at everything but man did he play unintelligently. I beat him entirely because of tactics. But it still was a beat of 5 match with games to 21. Hehe.

From November 1996-December 1998 I performed for the Circus:

This is what I did:

860e27427617fdc9e60f8fdb80654510.jpg

7ae4ca95c0a5f5a66e03b88abd784870.jpg

When I came back from the circus I started teaching Yoga:

c910e95f2146e71f966b339338d13f6a.jpg

99b01bfcdf928afa667efe26c769abc9.jpg

9ca00f9f42af79317d86e9bc4377a2ef.jpg

7fcfff33c66f748384f17592c9300828.jpg

6e2b246987811b57a00ae22c9bceaffb.jpg

b543c13c86c780e8102e19fc22dca699.jpg

4418b9ae037ac748cbd18852e920fdbc.jpg

f42a9c734450f68a519b44bf17fb6da2.jpg

In 2009 I found a place to play TT in NYC and rekindled my old addiction and have been playing ever since. I play for fun. I play for recreation. I play for exercise. But I love doing sidespin hook loops that curve like crazy. For me, this is the finest hobby imaginable.

Now what's your storyline. What makes you tick?????!!!!! Have fun.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Good thread, I'll post my novel in a couple hours, it's about time I do so anyway. People should know who they're talking to.

Are you really George RR Martin? Not writing the next novel in the A Song of Fire and Ice series cos you are too busy posting on TTD and playing TT?

Reactions: Shuki
says what [IMG]
Well, I'm going to keep it short and cut out my life story, because no one gives a shit.

I'd watched limited amounts of table tennis before I ever got exposed to it, and I had an idea that China is good at it.

A few summers ago, when https://myanimelist.net/anime/22135/Ping_Pong_The_Animation was airing, I watched it for kicks.

"It was good", I thought, but I'd never really played table tennis, so I didn't get too excited.

I entered my current school shortly after, and found a table tennis table laying around. I was absolutely awful, but I played with the older kids and a friend I made.

At first, I was having fun with my friend, fishing and chopping and whatnot. The level of game back then was easily sub-500 USATT. I think I got skunked by my friend twenty or so times, but I kept coming back. I honestly cannot remember what my strokes and serves were like back then. It took me damn long to ever beat the oldest players there.

I developed a pendulum serve a year or so in but it was shitty. I could kind of backspin, but it wasn't much. At around that time I had started watching gameplay online and looking at tutorials. Pingskills taught me the bare basics, although I had no technique at all.

My pendulum serve produced a lot of pop ups, and I developed a smashing game. My backhand was mainly a block. I was quite good at stepping around the backhand to play a smash down the line. I couldn't rally at all, and the maximum number of hard forehands I could put out was one per rally. I kind of understood spin at that point but had no touch.

There's a lot of grey inbetween, and I eventually became the best player in my school, but my level was still hopelessly low and I started posting here at some point.

I learned a lot here and eventually got myself a real bat with good rubber. I couldn't loop, but slowly I started spinning. My serve got better, as well. I developed a reliable block. I worked real hard on fixing my technique since I started posting here. I can barely remember what my game looked like during this period, except that I was heavily forehand biased and I favored a long stroke.

Nowadays, I think I'm around low 1000's level, with some serve tricks up my sleeve. I don't play with conscious tactics or strategy so much anymore and games are mostly drills to me. I'm just trying to generate more spin and produce more consistent and reliable technique. My game is MUCH cleaner than it was back then.

I feel I could perform a lot better than people think if I was in a competitive environment and had a reason to use my head. However, that's not gonna happen for some time, which is a shame. At least I have a lot of things I can improve.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hmmm... i may or may not post my non-TT true essence - paranoia issues of current or future employer finding out my non-TT hobby and may be detrimental to my career.

But very cool on the circus/yoga Carl! Thank you for sharing.

People only post what they want to and if they want to. It's just an opportunity to let people see a side of you that may not come out ordinarily.

I left out years of covert ops, killing squirrels and rats with chopsticks in Central Park NYC, because it wouldn't look good to potential clients and employers to know they were working with a mercenary. I know, I know, the government called us civilians in the Gulf War. But people are smart enough to figure things out.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

says what [IMG]
Oh damn, this is a thread about non-table tennis things so you can show a different side of yourself, but I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows that I suck without me having to say it out loud. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't think anything else I could say about myself would be interesting to hear around these parts. Somehow I think it's good that people around here don't know what I can be competent at or what I've done. It keeps the ego in check, being under fire all the time with no backup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Will post later to this thread of vids of my TT as I intend to post 2 new vids in addition to the 2 vids i already posted in the Chit Chat thread for the members who surf this thread and not the Chit Chat thread.

My non-TT: primarily into the martial arts. Like my TT, i'm not a beginner, but i'm not a master either. Just on a Journey with many, many Steps. Better at TT than MA though LOL

No pix or video cos i'm worried that employers, current or future, googling for me and possibly jeopardizing my career.

I have an interest in both TT and the MA due to my father.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Oh damn, this is a thread about non-table tennis things so you can show a different side of yourself

No worries, a big part of mine is going to be table tennis related, but it's definitely a different side that people don't know. Other than a few people, you, Carl,NL, Baal and fellow club mates that are also on the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Archo, it can be anything. But for you, you have to post a photo so people can see your face. And you have to post recent video so we can all see how much you've improved. [emoji2]

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I first picked up a paddle in late 2012. Yes, I'm still very new to the game. For my first two years of play I was self-taught and obviously had extremely bad habits.

My real name is Cameron. I'd prefer to keep my last name out of it, but it's very easy to find and anyone who's actually curious after reading this post can find me. Anywho, here's my gameplay after about 1.5 years of me playing. I look back at this video and cringe quite hard at my terrible habits, and hyperactivity I had at the time. I have ADHD and during this time wasn't taking my medication.

MYTT FORUM

Okay here comes the part that will make people look down on me. After about a year of play, I started looking at the mytabletennis.net quite a bit. I had seen the "For Sale" section of this forum and figured out how the section worked. I noticed the way player's paid for their equipment was through the Paypal "gift" option. I took on the identity of a local club player. His name was David. David sold quite a bit of higher end table tennis equipment and I could get lots of pictures of that equipment. I started posting on mytabletennis trying to sell that equipment. But when someone would send me payment for the blades I was selling through the Paypal Gift option, it gave them no guarantee that they would receive their product. We always justify things in our heads when we do something bad to make ourselves not seem like bad people. At the time I simply said to myself "We don't break laws because of the consequences that occur if we get caught. There are no consequences for this and I'm also not technically breaking any law. People are sending me a gift and I'm accepting it."

But I was wrong, there was a law I was breaking, I was stealing someone's identity. I also wasn't looking at it from a moral perspective. I couldn't visually see that I was hurting anybody, and behind a computer screen I never would be able to personalize the players that I was making my victims. So after about 2 weeks or so of doing this scam, a local player who was also a well respected member on that forum confronted me. His main job was also being a police officer. For his privacy I'll keep his name private. The police officer realized that it was me selling the paddles and not David. He really is a great person. He made me see the light and showed me just how terrible my actions were. He even got me to message the For Sale Moderator of the time (Baal) and the clubmate/friend/officer also got me to send everyone their money back. Upon doing so, some member of that forum found this as their chance to make a little money themselves and doubled up on their money. Making me pay them back and then pay them again.

After this forum scandal, I went on to make a new forum account which was SUPER against the rules. I was banned from the forum for a reason, and having multiple accounts was just another reason to ban anyway. I wasn't allowed to be on that forum. I got caught a few times and just continued to make new accounts. Then once I was caught with probably my 3rd or 4th account I made an account and just stayed away from the forum for a while. After half a year or so I got onto that account, the account name was Norema (Cameron backwards without the C). This time, I spent my time on that forum helping people and continued to do so without getting caught for quite some time. I legitly sold equipment this time around, as well as providing in-depth reviews and comparisons on various products. I made quite a few friends as Norema, and often helped players improve as well as sent players equipment for free to test out or even keep. Most of this helping players out, was me trying to make up for the wrongs that I had committed. And although I wasn't aware at the time, I'm confident that I also probably just wanted to clear my name, not wanting people to think so poorly of me.

And then I got caught again. They found out Norema was Cameron and I was banned again. Even though I was better this time around, I needed to be banned. After all, I did break another rule of having multiple accounts. Plus it really makes sense, I developed good feedback on that account and became quite a trusted member. If I were to ever scam again it would be super easy and it's a risk that there's no reason for them to take. And so I was cast away from the community that I wanted to be part of so badly again. Some of the friends I had made on that forum, I still talk to through text messages to this day, but many upon learning who I was realized I wasn't a person that they wanted to be friends with.

I started talking to Baal about letting me back and it became clear that I wouldn't be allowed to go back. However, I then made this account on TTD and made a deal with him. He wouldn't out my identity if I just stayed away from his forum. I snatched up that deal and continued posting here as Shuki. Baal really does great work as a forum moderator, and every 6 months or so I send him a message asking if there's any way I'd every be allowed back on his forum.

Now the last thing I want you all to take away from this story about my forum life, remember how I said we always justify our actions in some way so we don't look like a bad person. I'm sure I've done that and victimized myself with my writing. I don't expect or want people to feel for me in any way. I was banned and it should stay that way, as I DID break the rules. I'm sure I left out parts that would make me sound worse since as a species we often try to remember good things about ourselves over bad, although I'm not able to think of any. For a while I was reluctant to post any video of my play on here because of my past on the forums and wanting to keep my identity secret. But, as I started meeting players in real life, having paypal transactions, my name started to be known among a select few.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
Wow, you pulled a Pete Rose there - when Pete Rose gets in the the Hall of Fame, we will reconsider you for MYTT... maybe....

Woo! So if I get the baseball hall of fame to change their rules on a permanently suspended player joining. And then also go back in time to before his eligibility for nomination timeframe ran out to get him elected as a candidate. Then I can MAYBE be reconsidered as a member.

SWEET, I'll hold my breath ^.^

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm David Song, and I'm a college student.

I pick up and drop hobbies a lot, and it turns out, I like skill or stategy based things.

aside from Yugioh, ahem,
I've played the violin since 2006, but I've kind of stopped in 2015. I guess I was good at it. I would still play if there were any cool sounding songs.
I've played around with the Rubik's cube for 4 years. I'm just proud of my personal best 32 second solve. I dropped it when I realized how stupidly amazing one of my friends was at it. He (https://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2011LINB01 interesting guy) had the world record average for solving something called square-1, which is even harder than the normal Rubik's cube.

I started playing table tennis in July 2012, playing in Robert Chen's weird Flushing Mall location. At that time, I fell in love with the sport. I got a lot of advice from random people then, including Shanxing Wang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanxing_Wang another interesting guy), Jimmy, and Robert himself. In the summer days, I would play 70 hours a week, on average. I did that for two summers.

On the second summer, I had also started going to NYITTC to play, where I got some coaching from Li Yuxiang. I met my currently very dependable practice partner, Roy Li. On November 2013, I played my first tournament, rating of 1862.
Also that year, table tennis finally became a PSAL sport. I went ahead to be the captain of the Stuyvesant High School boys table tennis team. As a team member, I made a lot of friends, some being Alston Wang, William Yao, Eric Almstislavski, and Alvin Chen. They are still on the team right now. We basically destroyed pretty much all the other schools. Our team was very over powered.

The third year, Flushing mall closed down and I started going to CCCF, where I trained with Sydney Christophe, Vicky Luo, and Gaoxiang Zhao (2700, I've learned the most from him). Also around the third year, I started going to LYTTC for their summer camp training. I've met lots of great people there, which include Matthew Hetherington and the Hugh family.

This is the fourth year, and I feel like table tennis is slipping away from me. I didn't get to play much at all because I started to work. I'm in college now, and there isn't much time to play, and good players are scarce.

My playstyle is laid out in this thread if you're curious. Although it's changed by now. More stable plus counter attacking. https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/...092-Thoughts-on-Playstyle&p=147438#post147438

I've taken up a new hobby, although I've been doing it for quite sometime. I started playing Tetris in 2010, but I only really started getting into it in 2015. Before I say more, YES, there is competitive multiplayer Tetris out there. Here is two of some of the best players in the world as an example.

I find Tetris very similar to table tennis, especially since both involve on the spot decision making. Defense is way more important in Tetris though. (offense is just as important)
If you want a video of me playing Tetris, I can go ahead and make one :) Tell me if you are interested in playing against me.

Last edited: