TTDaily Members Show Their True Essence

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is getting interesting.

Great to hear these stories. David, really cool you started playing with Robert Chen. Shangxing Wang is a great guy. Very funny too. When NYTTF was open (a club Robert ran in Manhattan's Chinatown) he was one of the usual cast of characters who was there most of the time.

Did you ever read any of his writing. He is pretty good.

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
This is getting interesting.

Great to hear these stories. David, really cool you started playing with Robert Chen. Shangxing Wang is a great guy. Very funny too. When NYTTF was open (a club Robert ran in Manhattan's Chinatown) he was one of the usual cast of characters who was there most of the time.

Did you ever read any of his writing. He is pretty good.

Definitely Shanxing Wang would be one of the most interesting guys I know. He was in charge of the Flushing Mall location when Robert wasn't around. I heard he went to Mexico, but is back in New York City, but I haven't seen him.

He's funny, calm, and easy to talk to. I taught him how to play chess, since we kept playing Chinese chess all the time. He said that normal chess was way more fun.

I've tried reading his book a few years back, but I didn't really understand it. Maybe I should give it another go.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Shuki: let's see if I can explain this. A lot of people are going to say: "what's wrong with Carl?" when they read this. But....

So I grew up in NYC. When I was a kid in the 1970s things were different and, it seems to me NYC was a much more dangerous place.

I knew several people growing up who are in jail for various reasons including murder.

And there is something surreal about this whole thing of people's dark sides.

Like, when you see news reports and people are being interviewed: "did you know your neighbor was a murder?" (Or rapist, or any other crime you can think of). It is interesting how often the the person being interviewed says things like: "He seemed like such a nice man. He was quiet. But he was always very polite and respectful." Or some other thing like that.

Well, I knew guys who ended up being murders. Some of them, I didn't like. So that is easier to understand. "Yeah, I can see how that POS got to that cell in Rikers!" But some of these guys were REALLY friends and I really liked them. One of them, I'm thinking of right now: Fun, funny, charismatic. And in all my dealings with him he was a good human being: and this particular guy, I knew him when I was 5 and totally loved him. Man I never would have thought he could do some of the things he did. But he's an effing murderer!!!

How on earth does this happen:

Well, the thing that is worth understanding is that WE ARE COMPLEX MULTIDIMENSIONAL BEINGS.

Take me for example: sometimes I'm a clown and I'm just being a trouble maker and having fun. Does that sound accurate? Sometimes I'm an explainer and I patiently explain these things in detail to give a whole bunch of information. Am I still on target? And sometimes I can be a jerk and a sc_mbag. And believe I can be that worse in person than on the Internet.

How does that happen? Because we can't be put in a box. We are complex. There is more to all of us than we can really fully understand.

So this guy is both a fun, funny guy who I would trust with my life in certain circumstances. And then in other circumstances: stay the heck away.

Now, something worth absorbing Shuki is: we all know from your description, that what you did was a total weenie maneuver. You took advantage of people in a way in which they are very vulnerable. And it was hidden.

What Baal did: think of it like this. In reality he did you a favor. He actually made it so you had to face some kind of repercussions for your actions. The result is also you had to wrestle with what in you enabled you to do that to other people.

Now, this does not make you all bad. For a little over 1 year, you have been part of this online community without that part of you coming to the foreground. Now of course, Baal has been keeping an eye on you. Since you told me in the spring, I have been cognizant.

So far, at TTDaily, you haven't messed up.

But I have seen different sides of you. And I have to say, when there is a little edge and anger I am much more comfortable with those sides of you than I am when you are trying to sound kind of like a wanna be saint.

Anyway, we all have our dark sides. We have to look at them, explore them and try to understand them. When we don't do that they are much more capable of getting us to do terrible things.

It's okay to work with your good sides and stay in those parts of you that are more integrated and healthy. But don't ignore the dark side or it will come back to haunt you.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
@ Shuki: I should add, for the past year+ it has been good to have you here on TTDaily. You are a good and productive part of this community.

So, in spite of the fact the we all have our dark sides, most of us deserve second chances. I get why, maybe that should not be on MyTT. But, you have done well so far, with your second chance on this forum.

says what [IMG]
For a long time, I believed that all people are more or less equal, with equal opportunity, intelligence and whatnot. I'd been brought up on that whole premise.

Boy, how wrong was I. For the past years, I've been learning that it more or less means that all people should be treated fairly and justly, but it definitely doesn't mean that all people are equal or alike in all regards.

It's quite a shocking revelation, to realize that some people simply can't help some of the shitty things they do because intelligence and whatnot are quite a bit more static than I was led to believe.

What's even funner is understanding that wherever I am right now, intelligent or not, out of prison or not, really doesn't have that much to do with myself. Surely, anyone can improve themselves as long as they can think and feel, but at the end, you really can't claim that you're completely responsible for whatever good things there are about you, and whatever bad things there are about you.

It's a bit unrealistic to say that murderers murder people because they're bad people and think that they should do bad things and it's a bit unrealistic to say that highly intelligent people are morally superior because they did the hard work to become intelligent, unlike those lazy dumb people.

Now, of course, this can really easily lead to not taking responsibility for who you are and what you do, but I've at least stopped judging people so strictly. Instead of thinking them bad if they do bad, I think of them more so as simply unfortunate.

Time to time people comment on how intelligent or smart I am, which I have to wholly disagree on, but it's infinitely more annoying when you know that you're not even responsible! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Anyone reading teh forums long enough or good enough with google to lookup stuff knows enough about me.

I picked up TT as a recreational player in one of my trips to Iraq in he military. I stayed a rec player until I actually could go to a club and get some semblance of training.

I was a major poster on DTTW, about.com, myTT, OOAK, Rob's TT Forum in OZ, and here on TTD.

I luv TT and started a TT association for foreigners (with an iTTF Umpire) in Korea that still runs and pretty much just hooks up players with TT action.

I did way too much time in military, which I am no longer a part of, so I try to enjoy life as much as i can in my retirement with a full time job. (that doesn't even pay my rent here in DC area haha)

I got sponsored when I was in Korea, mainly because i was good at Korean, instead of being really good at TT. That same outfit really wanted me to be their US distributor, so later, I became the janitor for the outfit (as shown in my signature)

I like testing equipment as much as the next guy and got my share of tests done. I still get stuff to do, TT is always evolving, but as much as I like doing stuff personally, I like hooking up others for action.

I started the movements of Brooklyn bridge Jumping, Goon Squad Captures, and very capable Smart Phones on TTD. It is all good stuff if anyone looks back on the Pro version rubbers thread to see where it all started.

I goof off a lot, but am a serious dude in a match, yet am a goofball on and off the table when nothing is on the line.

I have a very wry sense of humor and cause a lot of trouble, but my idea of trouble is most people's idea of fun.

I have a German screen name as I love Germany and miss it a lot, still call a city there home. I got a lot of posts in a German TT forum I made in my written form of my spoken German that would make the natives laugh for months. (look in Pimp My Blade forum)

I support TT forums, freedom of equipment choice, and unlimited Chicken and beer bets on TT in clubs. I am William the TT dude, have bats will travel. I enjoy TT adventures as much as the next dude. I am a 50 yr old Millennial dude with about ten crafts and trades.

See you around the forums and the TT halls. Keeping with teh spirit of talking about oneself, I made just about EVERY sentence start with I.

Last edited:
Hi My name is James Price

A story about me well I'm 22 years young and born and raised in Birmingham England.

I used to mess around and play table tennis with mini bats and stick-on-the-table nets with my dad when I was about 10/11 ish.

I got a flair for table tennis when i was coming up to 15 simply because I needed to be good at four sports to get a high grade in Physical Education the sports I already had was Football, Boxing and Tennis so I thought I'm ok at top table I could maybe get 17 marks out of 25 helping me pass. So I joined the after school club and I thought I'd be an average player how wrong was I! I was awful I couldn't generate no spin I didn't move and I held the bat inbetween penhold and shakehand but done a traditional penhold backhand. After being trained by two premier division players I could pretty good and to my surprise when I got my PE grade I got a A (Football 24/25, Boxing 22/25, Tennis 20/25 and tabletennis 25/25) I was amazed to say the least. [emoji2]

After I left school in 2010 I joined a proper club in the Birmingham league in the fourth division but because I started work in a law firm I couldn't make many of the games and struggled to compete only achieving a 19% win ratio I feel that I could've won alot more but because of my lack of practice and first season nerves I through away some matches. This resulted in me making a very bad decision I quit table tennis and focused on going out drinking all the bad things I know.

Fast forward 3.5 years after being with my then partner my now wife [emoji16][emoji16] encouraged me to get back into table tennis and there was a local club I knew of literally 1 mile away from where we lived. I contacted the club secretary who was very welcoming and told me to come along to practice on a Thursday which I did and they introduced me to the coach Ex England top 30 player who slowly got me back into it and building my confidence at the same time, my flare for table tennis came back stronger than ever I started researching penhold techniques, equipment and players to help improve me however possible.

After 6 months of training i got placed into the bottom team of the summer division 2 out of 2 I was put in with two guys similar age who had recently started playing we struggled a lot as the variety in the summer is very different to the winter with there being div 4 players up to div 2 players in the first half of the season I won 2 out of 18 with 5 going to 5 sets which I lost all of them however I picked myself up and finished the season with a 44% win ratio which I was happy about.

The 14-15 winter season was approaching and I wanted to do the best I could so I went to another club and increased my practicing from once a week to twice a week and it worked I won 93% in the fourth division winning the individuals and getting my team promoted to the third division (however the team didn't want to go up so I moved up to our third division team they finished third that season)

I was informed though that the team who finished 2nd pulled out of the winter league due to lack of players so we was now in the 2nd division for the 15-16 league I was abit worried as the second division is quite hard so I increased my training to three/ four days a week with also gym on spare days I got off to a great start winning 15/18 players and finished with a 80% win ratio in 2nd place in the individuals first place was an ex England no 3 junior.

After all this I became very comfortable playing table tennis and in the summer got placed in the first division playing with premier players I done what I aimed which was 46% win and this winter will be playing in the first division where I belong if I'm honest - hoping to win at least 60%.
Fingers crossed for me guys [emoji1305] [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Well.. ok. Lets do this.

Anders is my name. Got the nickname Liten after playing online shooters and fligt/racing-sims. At first it was LitenMenMjuk (translates to TinyButSoft) but now its just "tiny".. Im 191cm tall so the first word out of forum-buddys mouths, once they meet me usually are: LIAR! ;)

Im a computer programmer (geek)
whos got music education background. Bass is my instrument.
The 70s is my fav decade.. love the music, love the style.

4be125f99f66fdf131b35e93de0df470.jpg

TT and floorball keeps my belly in decent shape, could be a lot better..
Hunting and musclecars makes me a redneck @ heart!

043de8f1326dca944403d2f82144d973.jpg

I love to prank my closest friends.. so.. careful.. don't get to close!

b36112715169e28828271d897fb312b0.jpg

;)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So, let's see if I can tie a few childhood stories together. See if this adds to things.

So, I started playing baseball at 4 years old. I am probably still better at baseball than at any other sport because as a kid that was my favorite thing. I remember in a game in 8th grade, we were playing a friend's team. My friend was pitching. The game was tight. 8th inning, tied 4-4. I came up with two outs. Now this friend, we were friends off the field, but on the field we were rivals.

He was pitching. I come up to bat. There are men on 2nd and 3rd. I walk up to the plate, and I make a big show of taking he bat and pointing over the fence, meaning, "I'm gonna take you downtown!" Translation, "I'm going to hit a home run!"

Second pitch, I crushed. It didn't go over the fence. It hit the cross pole on the top of the fence. But it was good enough. It was a double and we were now in the lead. [emoji2].

Yep, with baseball I was cocky. [Truthfully, when it hit the fence that ball was a line drive that was still rising. In Yankee Stadium it would have probably hit the fence. But this fence needs a higher shot by 2" to go over. If it did, it would have still been rising when it hit the building across the street from the baseball field.]

The positions in the field that I played were 3rd base, left field, catcher and pitcher. I have a good arm. On a good day, I can throw a strike from left field to home plate even though that is usually not smart baseball and you are better off hitting the cutoff man. Sometimes I am stupid though. [emoji2]

Okay, throw accuracy. I went to Bronx High School of Science. There is a tradition, or there was when I went there that, on Halloween a bunch of people cut school, go up into the football/baseball field, get drunk, bring dozens of eggs and hurl them at random people passing the school. Needless to say, I am on the field, not in school.

One of the stricter teachers is in a raincoat with a rain hat with a camera (back then there were no digital cameras) taking photos of us on the field. Of course everyone starts hurling eggs at this guy. How could you get a better target.

The field is elevated, he is across the street, up the stairs and back from the street. So from where we are, he is maybe 30-40 yards away. Maybe even more. Most of the eggs thrown don't even come close to the guy.

For perspective on distance:

f16f450181900420d02159f42e784d1b.jpg

ad73f9275e504cab709fa3e399d2d90d.jpg

For perspective, the teacher is up the stairs past the rails on that promenade that leads to the entrance. I am on the edge of the field outside the fence.

So, the teacher being there cause some of us delinquents to throw eggs rapid fire. And somehow it happened that, I have the last remaining egg and I was too busy drinking beer to have thrown any eggs yet. But I am now surrounded by derelicts trying to convince me that I should give that last egg to them because they think they have a better shot at hitting the mark than I do.

But I shrug them off and I bide my time. And then I hurl that egg sort of like a football with a nice spiral. Well, I definitely am the only person on that hill who nailed this teacher.

He needed to clean that lens and his glasses because the egg caught the edge of the lens and the splatter caught the side of his face: pretty much the only part of him that was exposed to slime as a result of the yellow rubber rain gear.

Okay. So now I'm pitching and my friend, yeah, that guy I looked up to as a kid, who is actually not in jail and never got caught, but is a murderer. So he is coaching me on pitching STRATEGY. Now I'm an okay pitcher. Not great. But accurate. I have a curveball that is pretty good. My fastball tails and I can make it tail down and away or up and away. Up and away is more lethal. But I'm not as good at getting that.

Anyway his strategic instructions are: "no, man, your aiming for spots on the plate. Aim for body parts. Like, you see how he is leaning in and crowding the inside of the plate, aim the curveball at the spot between his shoulder and his head. It will curve over the plate and be a strike. And he will be bailing out because it looks like it is going to nail him until it breaks." Another instruction: "aim the fastball at his knee. It will tail over the plate." Or: "aim the slider thigh high on the outside corner. It will look like a strike till the bottom drops out. Then he'll be swinging at dust."

Now, from a strategy standpoint, these were great instructions. I can't tell you how many times I had someone bailing out on a pitch that looked like it would hit them only to have the ball curve or tail over the plate for a strike. And it is way harder to hit a pitch if you are constantly scared the pitcher is aiming for your head. So, yeah, great strategy until one pitch didn't do what it was supposed to and I nailed the batter in the head.

This guy was definitely not happy and me apologizing was not going to change the fact that he got hit in the head and I got my ass kicked badly. Good thing he was wearing a helmet. [emoji2]

I'd say I deserved the beating. In part it was because I listened to that advice. But more, for the fact that I got off on making guys afraid to stand in and swing at those pitches. With better judgement I never would have beaned anyone.

Okay, next story: I'm on the lower east side with a bunch of friends hanging out. One of them is this guy I already told you about in a few stories. See, I knew him all my life. I am a teenager at this time. He is in his early 20s. He is on a BMX bike. We are all hanging out, guys and dolls, on a stoop on east 11th Street.

At one point, somehow I'm alone on 2nd Ave but still in site of my friends and these 3 guys come up and start giving me a hard time. My infamous friend rides up on his bike and says: "What's the problem here?"

Now I'm not a big guy. I'm sure Der_ and NL can attest to that. I'm glad my infamous friend rolls up. Fighting has never been my thing.

Anyway, some more words are exchanged and my infamous friend says, "I don't know him. This has nothing to do with him. Me and you three. What, you guys think you have a chance? I guarantee, I will take two of you down one punch each. The only questions is if you," and he points to one of them, "if you can take me down before I get to you."

Now, none of these guys were small. But his psychotic confidence made these three guys back down and walk away.

To me, at the time, I thought that was the coolest thing ever. But, in retrospect, I didn't realize that part of him really did want to take on all three of them alone. And I am 98% sure they all would have ended up in the hospital.

In retrospect, years later, I look back at that with some discomfort. I was party to it. At the time, I did not realize my friend had killed someone but, he was already a murderer when this incident took place.

What does that say about me? There is part of me that is attracted to violence that isn't actually okay. I personally did not look at or deal with these things until I was a father and realized that it was no longer okay to be a reckless teenager in an adult body.

What am I saying? I'm still on that subject of our dark sides. We can't eliminate them. But we can examine, become aware, and try to understand ourselves better. And make it so our dark side does not dig us into becoming worse than we are.

We are all complex multidimensional beings. We all have parts of us that are good and parts that are not so good.

Leaving no doubt about my love for the Harry Potter books I will leave you with a quote from Albus Dumbledore:

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Liten, there is just one question:

IL-2, Jane's, Falcon or DCS? Or perhaps something even more ancient than any of those? ;)

Il-2 sturmovic all day, simbin's gtr all night.
TrackIR for mouselook kicked ass! Now vr makes it totally pointless!

My old sim setup..

d1d5b5761ab34386cf639a5a02150966.jpg

228bb8d1f99474f00e808e72c92d4436.jpg

says what [IMG]
GTR2 was my first driving sim years ago. Oh, how outdated it is nowadays.

I started in Falcon 4.0, eventually stopped playing it and started playing IL-2, then DCS. I was playing BMS Falcon until my stick died. :(

Have you played any modern driving sims? They've gone a huge way. Assetto Corsa is one of my favorites right now.

EDIT: Oh shit, is that a Thrustmaster shifter?

This user has no status.
GTR2 was my first driving sim years ago. Oh, how outdated it is nowadays.

I started in Falcon 4.0, eventually stopped playing it and started playing IL-2, then DCS. I was playing BMS Falcon until my stick died. :(

Have you played any modern driving sims? They've gone a huge way. Assetto Corsa is one of my favorites right now.

EDIT: Oh shit, is that a Thrustmaster shifter?

The seat is a genuine sportseat mounted on a base with 5.1 surroundsound where the 1 is mounted under the seat. Every curb was felt! :D

8speed shifter and weighted pedals from ACT labs..

Last version of the sim was fresnel lences to get rid of the monitorframes with the 2 monitor setup.. still got it all, just the seat is now mounted in a car! :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Part of my TT story will be part of the 1980's NYC/Chinatown TT scene.

I don't recall at what age, but i watched my father play my uncle and others as a kid. I didn't play until I was in Junior High School (now called Intermediate School). In the gym, there was a table there and played with classmates/friends. We all fell in love with TT. Fridays after school, we would go to a Dept of Parks Recreation Center and play for an afternoon.

Sometime in High School, early 1980's, I joined a TT club in Chinatown and was fortunate to have Alex Tam teach me the basics of traditional chinese PH pips. Probably not many here know of Alex Tam.

A little on Tam - copied and pasted from https://groups.google.com/d/topic/rec.sport.table-tennis/gdsofJbyaD0:

From http://www.usatt.org/magazine/98nov-dec/natc.html :

Tam's background is legendary and was first made public in the States in an
article by USTTA Historian Leah Neuberger after he'd arrived here from Hong
Kong in 1972 and had won the Houston Invitational from such strong U.S.
players as D-J Lee, Joong Gil Park, Lim Ming Chui, Jack Howard, Dick Miles,
Dell Sweeris, Peter Pradit, and John Tannehill.

At the 1961 Peking World's, 18-year-old Tan Cho-lin (as Tam was then called)
astounded everyone by reaching the quarter's of the Singles, defeating in
the very first round the #2 seed, Zoltan Berczik, later to be Coach of the
'79 World Champion Hungarian Team that included Jonyer, Klampar, and
Gergely. Although Alex was ranked World #14 (at the same time D-J Lee was
ranked #26), he didn't play for China at the 1963 or '65 World's. In fact,
in the late '60's, he escaped from China "with his wife by swimming to Hong
Kong, where he had to change his name and became Chan Cheuk Nim." He then
played for Hong Kong in the 1971 Commonwealth Games at Singapore. Following
that, China stipulated to Koji Goto, organizer of the '71 World's, that Tan
Cho-lin not be permitted to play for Hong Kong in those Nagoya
Championships.

He asked me to play a game vs his son, Man-Fei... at the time, I'm almost 18 and his son was like 10. Alex said he would teach me if i could beat his son in a game. Although Man-Fei had the basics of the game, I beat him. I called Alex Tam, "Sifu".

Tam sifu brought me to a local chinatown bookstore and bought an off-the-shelf traditional chinese PH pips racket for me... Meteor was the brand. At the time, Double Happiness was the most accessible and most famous for rackets/blades. One of the fundamental techniques of traditional Chinese penholder in my opinion is the ‘push-block’… in modern terminology, it’s called a ‘punch.’ Fortunate that I was taught/drilled the punch by Tam sifu. Also, he would tell me stories of his training in China of having to serve into a small bowl on the other side of the net. Taught me the pendulum serve and advised I work it in the mirror which I diligently did… [begin Mr Miyagi voice] “Sifu says, student do” [/voice]

After working with me for a few weeks, he introduced me to Richard Ling. Tam sifu told me to address Richard as "Dai si-hing"... “si-hing” means 'martial older brother' - terms generally used in kung fu/chinese martial arts, as is “sifu” ... however, in Chinese culture, sifu/si-hing are also used as terms of Respect. "Dai" means 'big' and generally Dai Sihing is the first student of a Sifu and subsequent students address the first student as dai sihing. Usually in Chinese martial arts, relationships are along familial lines… instructor is the father, students before one learns are addressed as older brothers/sisters and same with students after one joins, they address you as older brother/sister, and you address them as younger brother/sister. Your instructor’s instructor is your grandfather, ‘Si-gung’ – the sifu of your sifu. Etc.

Richard asked to be addressed as "Richard" dispensing with formalities. If memory serves, he was 2000 easily, maybe 2200 SH. He worked with me quite a lot. Don’t recall for how long but was thankful and fortunate for his time spent coaching me. I couldn’t pick up the BH smash and switched to smooth. Richard was supportive and worked with me on serves and looping.
I’ve worked briefly with Doon Wong, a staple of the NYC TT scene. His youngest daughter, Vicky, worked with me a lot. She was 1800 or so at the time. Back in the 5/21 era, she would spot me 7 to 9 points. She taught me to play steady and also to not smash 100% power/speed, smash at 80 or 90%. I didn’t think much of this until she had me work with Rey Domingo. Rey is a Filipino SH who was one of the top players in the NYC area at the time. He would lob and return all my smashes until I tired out… Rey helped my smashing game tremendously.

The Chinatown club was a former firehouse located on Lafayette and White Street. It’s still there, but not as a TT club anymore. It was a 3 garage firehouse. Fit 6 tables with decent room per table. Late 80’s it closed down, members were not paying dues and club couldn’t pay the rent anymore. Sad … it was a great club. Many of the famous players of the time came by to play or were regulars.

It was always quiet when the higher level players played. The club sat and watched the show. When Alex Tam played Rey Domingo, it was always a great show. Tam was a 2 wing traditional Chinese PH pips player. His BH smash was legendary. Domingo’s steady lobbing and loops were also legendary.

Other players/members: Steven Mo and Fu Lap Lee were 2 younger players, 2200-2400 each… traditional PH loopers. Watched them play a lot. Tried to emulate their game. They were a little older than me. When Rey played Steven or Steven vs Alex, totally breath-taking.

There were the Yeh Brothers – William was the SH and Steven was the PH. Both were 2000.

Some US Champs stopped by too ... Eric Boggan and Ricky Seemiller.

TT ambassador George Braithwaite played there… back then, he was 40. I saw him last year playing at Wang Chen’s … doesn’t remember me, which is not important, I remember him, that’s important! He was almost always the Seniors Champ (40 and over)… he plays at my current club at least once a wk… not bad for a 81 yr old TT ambassador/champ. Horace (don’t know his last name) - super steady chopper, when Steven Mo or Fu Lap Lee played it was always great to watch a pure looper vs a pure chopper.

George Cameron - we sometimes called him “Little George” or “Little Chief” not as disrespect but cos in recognition of George Cameron being a 2000-2200player but also to recognize “Chief” aka George Braithwaite.

Big part of my development was playing with a crew of friends… they joined the club a little after me, but quickly developed in skill … we were all roughly the same level. 42andbackpains was the youngest of us. We played Friday afternoons, got there early Sat/Sun and left super late like midnight Sat and earlier Sun. Pretty much played the whole weekend.
For a few years, we also played in the Friday Night League organized by Andy Diaz. Loads of experience gained from playing 1600+ level players in the league.

Competed in some of the monthly Westfield NJ tournaments. Chatted with a coach at Wang Chen’s club, he mentioned he used to play at Westfield and a rite of passage for Westfield players was being able to beat Gloria Amory (Emory?). In the Chinatown firehouse, our Gloria was “Mui Bok” (at the time in his 60’s, he was a one-sided SH player who was defensive… would hold his racket with handle on top and blade perpendicular to the ground. FTR, I lost to Gloria in the semi’s or finals one Westfield tournament.

At the time, world champ was Guo Yuehua and runner up Cai Zhenhua. In late 1980’s world champ Jiang Jialiang and the rest of the Chinese National Team visited NYC and put on an exhibition. Remember woman’s champ, Cao Yanhua was there too.
Memories of the old firehouse … not many members playing TT on Saturdays between 3pm-5pm. We all hunched over the 9 or 10 inch black and white TV there. NYC in early 1980’s had the ‘Drive In Theater’ play on TV the oldschool Shaw Brothers kung fu movies/chop sockies of the 1970’s and 1980’s! Master Killer aka 36[SUP]th[/SUP] Chamber of Shaolin starred Gordon Liu (probably better known to 1990’s kids as Bai Mei in Quentin Tarantino’s Kill Bill) and 5 Venoms aka 5 Deadly Venoms were the big name movies of the times … other Venoms Gang movies were also favorites: Invincible Shaolin aka Unbeatable Dragon, The Kid with the Golden Arms, Flag of Iron, Masked Avengers, Crippled Avengers, etc. Then there was the oldschool Shaw Brothers movies with David Chiang, Ti Lung, Chen Kuan Tai and Alexander Fu Sheng like Shaolin Mantis, Heroes Two, Challenge of the Masters, The Invincible One, The Chinatown Kid, etc.

Played a little in college. Over the years post-college, played less and lesser. Concentrated on starting a career and got married and had kids.

~30 years absence from TT ... fast forward to last year June. Joined Wang Chen’s club, played until April. Playing at new club since April and trying to get my game back as well as my youth. Back in August of last year, had my annual physical, doc told me I had to lose weight. Ballooned over the years. This past Aug, glad to report I lost 17 lbs in a year… didn’t want to lose weight fast/extreme… lost almost avg of 1.5 lbs a month over a year. This year, looking to lose a little more. We’ll see how it goes… but key to weight loss is eating properly and also at appropriate times as well as being less sedentary and more active. Key to physical activity is to find something one finds fun… if it’s fun, one will continue to do it… and since it’s physical, it should make one fit. TT is one way for me to be both Fit and have Fun.

Love the martial arts, used to play a lot of chess and compete too, and love movies especially the oldschool kung fu movies.

Generally I don’t like to post pictures or videos of myself, I blame Carl for posting a vid of us hitting in the first post of this thread LOL

Since then, I’ve posted 4 videos of myself in the Daily TT Chit Chat thread. Here in one post for your ridicule ;-)

1) vid of me shadowing and looping

2) short vid of me looping

3) Short vid of my FH hits vs blocker

4) edited vid of a match from this past monday night

Comments welcomed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wow. Kudos to OldSchool. TTDaily had found someone who rambles on even more than I do. [emoji2]

That sounds better than "I have old man memory and wanted to write down my history for my kids" :)

On a diff note... strange how Life takes us on different paths ... you went to Bronx Sci ... during our time, Bronx was #2 to Stuyvesant #1 (David Song in 3,2, 1, ...)... i took the Specialized HS test and only made it to Brooklyn Tech (#3 at the time) ... instead of going there and spend 2 hrs on the train, went to a local zoned hs instead. Always wondered how my Life may be very very different if i went to Tech instead.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
That sounds better than "I have old man memory and wanted to write down my history for my kids" :)

On a diff note... strange how Life takes us on different paths ... you went to Bronx Sci ... during our time, Bronx was #2 to Stuyvesant #1 (David Song in 3,2, 1, ...)... i took the Specialized HS test and only made it to Brooklyn Tech (#3 at the time) ... instead of going there and spend 2 hrs on the train, went to a local zoned hs instead. Always wondered how my Life may be very very different if i went to Tech instead.

I took the test at Tech because I didn't want to go to Stuyvesant where my brother went. I got into all 3 schools and decided I didn't want to go to tech either and got them to change my first choice to Science. I often wonder what my life would have been like if I went to a school like Sty where I would have been able to walk to school and would not have ended up on the hill at Music and Art instead of at Science during school hours. All the girls I had my sights on back then went to M&A so it seemed like the place to be. Truthfully, I probably would have been much happier if I figured something out to try for M&A went there.

But, the truth is, as a teenager, I'm not so sure I would have been happy in any school. And I'm not going to look back in that way. I am happy with who I am and what I have made of myself. In spite of having been a crazy messed up kid. I think I am a pretty good adult.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder