TTDaily Members Show Their True Essence

says what [IMG]
@Liten You moved the seat out? Do you still simrace?

I was on a year long hiatus from competition and just did hillclimb and drifting, but I used to do sub 1 sec from world records on average, so I figured I'd join an old league I raced in. I was 3 seconds off pace! :rolleyes:

GT3 on Bathurst in the Z4, terrible setup and shit driver, didn't really qualify but managed to go from 26th to 21st. Very rarely am I down the grid so low, so it was a humbling experience. My entry is absolutely terrible after my hiatus, I understeer just a little bit and it scrubs.

Is this how @OldSchoolPenholder feels, coming back and having no touch at all? ;)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wow. Kudos to OldSchool. TTDaily has found someone who rambles on even more than I do. [emoji2]

Sent from Inside The Rambling Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

A while back, I coulda swore Carl said Der_Echte would never be undersold in Rambling, but I never wanted that title anywayz. :D

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The 70s is my fav decade.. love the music, love the style.

4be125f99f66fdf131b35e93de0df470.jpg

@ Liten: perhaps the most stylish human being in the history of history:

Walt Clyde Frazier:

04dd0db3ad4528323478510c88a134a7.jpg

a1550859ac5600a7fd170449500a32fb.jpg

d9710dd0fb7cacff95f171ae6647a760.jpg

82a80512327e526e32a262f180007507.jpg

17d59054f0544cc84df1356c1e82c8b4.jpg

Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Il-2 sturmovic all day, simbin's gtr all night.
TrackIR for mouselook kicked ass! Now vr makes it totally pointless!

My old sim setup..

cache.php

cache.php

Wow, I was a massive flightsim & aviation history geek before I entered college. Spent numerous times reading books and whatever I could find on the internet about famous aviators, engineers and military air units of WWII. I once even took the third place in a local IL-2 dogfight tournament. I also made some nice friends through it, we had many fun binges :). One of the friends arranged a crazy 15 minutes aerobatic flight in a two-seat trainer with a former MiG-25 fighter pilot in the front seat.

x_a73e53de.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.

Walt Clyde Frazier:

My all time hero is Larry Graham. Played with Sly Stone and his own group Graham Central Station.
a33cc758cda3611ad44842d16e3387ed.jpg

;)

This user has no status.

Walt Clyde Frazier:

Cool peronified!

My all time hero is Larry Graham. Played with Sly Stone and his own group Graham Central Station.

This user has no status.

Walt Clyde Frazier:

Cool peronified!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
UPDATED
Great idea (this thread)!
I'll try to keep it short:
Sports: At 13 yo. I started fencing. But after 1+1/2 or 2 years I gave up. I was physically very weak, a stronger wind would make me fly. The sword (épée) was heavy (my coach gave me an adult one) and teammates stronger. At first I worked hard, but after a while I get tired of defeats. Training was very-very hard and I was totally exhausted after every session. And exhausted everyday, because I couldn't regather my energies. Plus I didn't have feel of success, so I gave up. Looking back I'm very thankful to the fencing, now I'm enduring, fast and dynamic.
At home my father made a small table, where we could play TT, but that wasn't serious. The time when I fell in love with TT was 2012 London Olympics. I've seen it on a small black-and-white TV near to the Balaton (an excellent lake for stranding in mid/east-eu). Then I found a club and started playing. My first club was fine, but only amateurs played there and in effect I learned everything about TT in autodidact way, mostly from videos. The basics are exceptions, that I learned from my father, who is the most talented player I've ever seen. He played back in the late '70s in Germany not competitively for about 2 or 3 years. After 40 year hiatus his playing level would be around 2100-2200 point in USA. Unfortunately he had some injuries and the ageing doesn't help, so without training his level lowered to around 1900-2150.
This year in March I decided to move to another club, since I become stronger than the coach :D and found a cheaper and way-way better place (for competitive play).
School: I will graduate this year and my plans are to take japanese language and culture as major in the university. And no, I don't speak japanese (yet...), so I can't translate videos and articles for you :( I always liked traditional japanese culture, and some stuff from the modern part. Probably music was what won me, song are so beautiful with that language.
Music: I'm not really fan of modern popular music. Don't like rap, house music, dubstep, dance etc. and there is something in (most of) modern pop what makes me uncomfortable to listen. Other than these, I listen a lot of different genres: jazz, funk, classical rock, classical music, some pop, some metal. I listen to a wide range of jazz, practically nearly every type. The only what I don't like is the very disharmonic style. Classic rock: not too much, but it's just because there are genres I like more. I listen to bands from (of course) Beatles to Led Zeppelin. Classical music: I like the most Chopin and Liszt, but other than romantics I listen from baroque to the 20th century's composers. Pop: I mentioned that japanese music had a big influence on me. My very favourite singer is YUI Yoshioka. Actually, I listen to a very few pop singers, I like the voice of aimer, Sinead O'Connor (if she can count as pop), Björk (she also isn't pop, but I like to mention them together). Metal: Japanese influence is the biggest here. Nowadays I listen the most visual kei, but as it's a very-very versatile genre, with tons of different bands, I listen to a few of them. X Japan, who created the genre, has some exceptional melodic power metal song. Melodic is an important word for me, I hate mindless death/trash metal (no offense, that's my opinion). My preferred subgenre is tanbi kei. Hizaki (the man in red costume, see below) is a genious guitarist, founder of numerous bands. If I'm fan of all of his bands. Versailles is a classic, Jupiter is great (Thought I don't like that much Zin's voice, than Kamijo's or Juka's. But I admit his vibrato is top-notch.), Hizaki Grace Project has the best live performance and I don't have words for HIZAKI solo, just listen the album Rosario. I couldn't decide on what song would be the best here for a tribute, so listen both:
Other freetime activities: I red a lot in the past, but the amount is lowered a lot. I don't have a mood for it. Mostly I play board games at home and with friends, both euro and ameri style ones. Like tabletop RPGs, especially story-based games, not powerplaying. Last year I played a lot, this year I have less time for it. I play chess online, but my rating is low (1150-1200 on chess.com, 1550 on lichess).

I think that's enough for now. Bye!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This has become quite a confession thread, so here we go:

I am a 17 year old teenager, and my forum name is my real name. The reason I joined this forum is still a big shame for me - because of a giveaway, and my first posts here have been true crap, just to gain the necessary number of posts to take part in that giveaway. My biggest fear back then was that the forum understood I am a kid and ”isolated” me in some way, but very soon I understood that things don't work like that here. As time passed I kept on learning a lot of things from here and also got more interested in discussing table tennis with everyone, and now I'm understanding that these discussions, especially with people who are more experienced than you are helping you to understand the game better. Sometimes I try to help lower level players with some aspects of their game, but I have to say that I'm a bad coach(at least for now), because I don't have the patience if they fail to accomplish something from the first few times and I can't sort the words in a way some members like Carl do.

About non-TT related side : I'm planning to become a programmer, when it's warm enough outside i like to practice cycling(this also helps for tt), and I like music : playing guitar since ~10 yo, also learned at school how to play pan-flute and recorder(this name sounds strange to me, but I don't know another word for it, hope you understand what i'm talking about).

I haven't lived as much as another members here, so I can't make up an entire novel out of my biography, but maybe that's even better, because I don't like long posts :p

This user has no status.
Awesome thread here, always cool to know who you're talking to :) my name is Kyle and I'm 23, just graduated with my mechanical engineering degree in the spring and am working as a process/equipment engineer at a large tire company. Right now living with my girlfriend of 3 years and our 2 cats (still not sure how she tricked me into adopting two of them :p ). Sports wise I played 15 years of baseball, the last 10 of which were played more due to obligation than desire. I golfed all through high school and began skiing at 3. I still do both of those when my schedule allows for it and always enjoy them. I picked up powerlifting in college and it's probably changed my life more than any other decision I've ever made. Growing up I had no confidence and was very defensive because I never really felt much self worth. I let it ruin many relationships and take quite a toll on those around me. Luckily for many people, powerlifting changed that completely and I'm one of the happiest people I know. I'm currently taking a break from it for a couple months due to work travel and also to let my joints heal. Music is my other passion, I've been playing guitar and singing in bands for over 10 years and have opened for Saliva, Mushroomhead, Bobaflex, Trapt, and Zach Myers of Shinedown. I spend a large majority of my time with my family, friends, and Mz. Knife. I joined TTD initially to learn more about equipment, as embarrassing as that is. But now I love to learn about how to get better and have raised my level about 200 points since joining. I try to help anyone I can, and if I don't have a technique or strategy fix, I at least try to encourage people. I think this community is really cool and it's great to see everyone improving and having fun. Keep it up!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
Okay i will join this thread now :)

First here is a picture that pretty much sums up my TT history.
25.09.16 - 1.jpg

My name is Noel and I was born in 1994. I live in the beautiful city of Bern. The picture shows me standing on the Münsterplattform a park in front of the 100 meter high cathedral of Bern.
I am studying to be a school teacher. I recently changed my subject from biology as it did not turn out to be what i expected.

Concerning my sports career I used to play football, or as you call it over there soccer, from the age of 7 to about 14. I then changed to rowing and various other things.

I picked up tt about almost two years ago and am hooked since. I started playing outdoors, without knowing of the existence of tt clubs. The picture was taken today and shows me standing near the stone tables i started to play on. As you can see i like tacky rubbers :) The beauty in the background belongs to me btw.

I am happy that this forum exists with all those cool people :) I very much enjoy being a part of it Thank you guys !

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
A new vid:

Mostly I served to J's BH and punched it down the line to his FH. One of my staple tactics. After a few minutes of this, J said hey, that is a pips tactic. You should play pips! I told him i started off as pips. We both chuckled.

After a few more minutes of getting some nice, low, fast serves and good 3rd ball punches, I asked if i could video us, he said ok. Of course, once the camera is on, i had some performance anxiety lol

Below is an edited video that came out to ~1 min 45 seconds. Put some of my winners at the beginning. Included some of my losers. I had more losers than winners :(

The drill was to 3rd ball punch down the line to J's FH. At 0:05-0:08, I saw his lean to his FH side and punched it to his BH.

0:00 - ~0:43 - camera behind my back

0:43 - 1:46 - camera facing me

I don't recall if i was officially taught this serve/motion. I believe this motion is self-taught. It came about as part of my FH pendulum serve motion... trying to disguise it... not sure how successful i am in the disguise though lol ... will repost this video to UpSideDownCarl's TTDers true essence thread

2 notes

My friend and fellow TTDer, 42andbackpains, advised I should be closer to the table when serving. He said watch any world-class player and see how close to the table they are when serving. Although players are almost hugging the table when serving, I have a mental block... afraid my 'boys' will hit the corner of the table, if you know what i mean - LOL at me!! In time, I will have to work that in of standing closer to the table.

The other was the motion, i don't know how to describe it, but 42&bp on his fast nospin serves does a different motion. I, for now, have not tried to really grease the groove on that serve motion.

Generally I don’t like to post pictures or videos of myself, I blame Carl for posting a vid of us hitting in the first post of this thread LOL

Since then, I’ve posted 4 videos of myself in the Daily TT Chit Chat thread. Here in one post for your ridicule ;-)

1) vid of me shadowing and looping

2) short vid of me looping

3) Short vid of my FH hits vs blocker

4) edited vid of a match from this past monday night

Comments welcomed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSPH, you post stuff like this and then you claim that you're 1400's. You damn well know that people at that level don't play that way.

Well NextLevel mentioned that 1980's 1400's are different than modern 1400's

However, officially i never made 1400 USATT... was 1370 or so. Didn't play enough tournaments. So out of respect to TTD, I don't make claims to my level (much anymore). I really don't know my level. Will not be playing tournaments in all likelihood. Play inconsistently against other club players.

So in a way, i am 1400!

Thank you for your compliment though!

says what [IMG]
Well NextLevel mentioned that 1980's 1400's are different than modern 1400's

However, officially i never made 1400 USATT... was 1370 or so. Didn't play enough tournaments. So out of respect to TTD, I don't make claims to my level (much anymore). I really don't know my level. Will not be playing tournaments in all likelihood. Play inconsistently against other club players.

So in a way, i am 1400!

Thank you for your compliment though!
I'm pretty sure you can beat most people around the low 1000's just with your normal quality of game. Your torso and arm movement are MUCH better than any 1500's I've seen. Not to mention the serves and your blocking ability.

Maybe you are on the higher spectrum of mid 1000's in tournaments, but you have way more potential. Didn't Carl say that you beat a much higher rated player some time back?

I can't wait to see you when you get back up to speed.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Didn't Carl say that you beat a much higher rated player some time back?

Carl mentioned I beat him back in June this year when we met up. I lost 2 straight, came back to win 3 straight. But I really think i eked out a win. Didn't really deserve it. Just lucky.

I mentioned I possibly played and beat "D. Vila" after watching a vid that NextLevel posted of his match vs DV. It may or may not be the same player. NL said DV is 2000 and that DV beat some 2200 or 2300 player(s) recently. If it's the same player, he may have had an off night, plus my game may have been 'on' that night. Also, my style of play IMO will have a decent chance against his style.

I will be the first to admit and say repeatedly though "I'm not 2000!"

I can't wait to see you when you get back up to speed.

Thank you... Me too!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Okay I'll play.

Joined this board probably about a month ago. Like all the activity on here.

I enjoy:
- Table Tennis
- Water Gardening
- Video Games
- Chess
- Family time (wife & two young girls)

I'm 37 and have been playing TT steadily since 2010. So I guess since I was about 31. I first saw some guys playing TT in college. Remembered my brother liked to play when I was a kid. He played Jpen. So I checked out a book from the libarary and learned how to play. Played shakehand. Played for 1-2 years then stopped as I switched colleges.

Then probably 4 years later played consistnetly for about a year. My wife & I moved to a new town. Went to club there and the guy who runs club there just mercilessly gave me the beatdown of my life. I thought "they're way to advanced at this club so I stopped going. Probably took about 5-6 years off then in 2010 decided to go play again. When I played shakehand, I always had a good backhand but weak forehand. One day messing around I flipped the paddle over to penhold and discovered my forehand was much better. Remembered that my brother played this style, I bought a Jpen (didn't know that style was outdated) and have been playing penhold ever since.

I am a recovering EJ junkie :p (see blog post here) and have played just about every penhold style under the sun. Jpen inverted and short pips. Cpen twiddling inverted/long pips. Cpen twiddling short pips/long pips. Cpen duel inverted. on & on. Shockingly, this hasn't helped me. :) I like chess & I like tactics so I liked the thinking element playing one side long pips brought into play. While this might work vs newer people, eventually vs good players and your club mates, who you play all the time, pick it up and it's no longer a problem for them. Thus to me, the long pips feels like a crutch & of no benefit. I know that statement isn't true for most long pips users. I'm speaking just for me.

I have recently since come to find out at some point, you can't really trick your club mates anymore. You just have to be better & beat them. Thus I'm playing duel inverted and have to plans on going back. I suppose one nice perk is that the RPB comes very easy to me just as shakhand backhand did. My main issue is really just working on footwork & consistency.

Some videos of me playing. Although most, if not all are from my twiddling cpen days. Again I'm playing duel inverted now which I feel is better suited for me. I will be recording more & more of my recent matches as I feel they're a great training tool.

me vs Yi
(i'm the younger guy here. Playing Inverted and I think it was long pips at the time. This night I was particularly practicing a TPB over the table loop. Yeah just easier with RPB but I had pips back there)

me vs Ben (I'm in the blue polo. Felt like I didn't play really all that well and didn't move my feet. Long pips here didn't phase Ben at all. I miss the attacking game more so like I said, playing duel inverted from now on)

Couple of pictures of the pond in our backyard the family & i built
0806150719b.jpg0806150719c.jpg

Oh yeah. Sweet revenge. That guy who runs the club is still there. He's now a good friend of mine and I've helped set up the club's site & social presense. I will probably take over fully when he retires. I've gotten my revenge on him in matches several times. :p

Check out the club website: (we've come a long ways and it's exciting to see the club's attendence pick up)
bit.do/LTTA

FB:
facebook.com/LincolnTableTennisAssociation

Twitter:
@theLTTA

Last edited: