What do you prefer? Chinese Rubber vs European Rubbers?

Chinese Rubber vs European Rubbers?

• Total voters

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Awesome topic!

I am really not to sure which I prefer my old Chinese coach use to have province Hurricane 3, the way he glued it was fantastic. I use to get his old sheets, good times :)

Nowadays for me playing with the plastic ball I prefer Euro type rubbers to get the speed. Chinese rubbers will definately give you more spin in general!

Euro vs Chinese rubber battle continues... :)

says what [IMG]
I haven't played with a proper high end soft non-tacky rubber, but I'm very fond of medium-hard/hard tacky. The spin is good, especially on serves. My stroke is long naturally, so I think I'm suited for hard tacky. Although I think I would really want a tensor rubber on my backhand for the sudden speed and ease of use.

I think I'm gonna be sticking with Stiga blade/tacky rubber for quite long.

This user has no status.
For me, I don't really have a preference between the two rubbers. I have been trying out several combinations for both forehand and backhand but I just cannot find the one which I really like :(
Currently using bryce for my forehand and sriver for my backhand. (Does anybody use bryce for their forehand? Hahaha)
I have been thinking of switching to a H3 province for my forehand though for its fantastic aggressive play...
(The rubbers I have been using are all of max thickness for the sponge)

This user has no status.
I prefer chinese rubbers on the forehand mainly because that is the only thing I have played with consistently and it being hard and tacky, I have had a few tries with european rubbers but not long enough to form an opinion. But, I think I prefer european rubbers (generally medium hardness and less tacky). So I voted both :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well, to me the question would rather be:
chinese or japanese

[Emoji12]

I haven't played with a proper high end soft non-tacky rubber....

Just makin' sure I've got the right translation:

you don't know, and hence can't tell.

Did I actually get that right?
:p

Attachments

• brilliantquote.jpg
    brilliantquote.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 741
Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Well, to me the question would rather be:
chinese or japanese

[Emoji12]

Just makin' sure I've got the right translation:

you don't know, and hence can't tell.

Did I actually get that right?
:p
Yes. I haven't tried anything like MX-P or Tenergy. However I think hard rubber/tacky topsheet does what I want it to do, so I don't see how my game would really benefit from top end Euro/Jap rubber based on what I've heard about them. I've played with mid-end and low-end Euro rubber and didn't like them, although they weren't really the best you can get.

I'll have to try it for myself to really know, though. Apparently Tenergy is really something.

This user has no status.
Apparently Tenergy is really something.

To be honest, it really isn't. Should you ever consider trying out a tensor, do yourself a favour and get a Xiom Vega Pro, or a MX-P, something along those lines. Paying the price of a Tenergy is not worth it for a tryout (it's not worth it at all in my opinion, but that's a different topic)

On the topic of chinese vs euro/jp.:
After thinking about trying out a Hurricane 3 (Neo) for quite some time already I finally had the chance to get my hands on one and give it a shot on a borrowed Eternity VPS. My usual setup is a Maze OFF with 2x EVO EL-S, as you can see on the right. I've tried quite a few euro rubbers, including the Xiom Vega Series, Tenergies, Evo MX-P, Rasant Series and the Hexer series. The only brand I skipped so far was Donic, doesn't really appeal to me for some reason.

I'm not gonna go into detail over the advantages of a H3 Neo over a Tensor rubber, but basically I fell in love with the way the chinese rubber plays. It's kind of an all or nothing gamestyle, if you don't move, you won't get anything done. It requires 100% performance at all times and punishes you if you don't deliver the performance.
I tried out the rubber without boosting, gonna give it another shot with some Haifu in the near future and see how that affects things.

Now I kind of singled out a single rubber out of the "chinese" fraction, and for a good reason. If you were to ask me which I prefer out of Hurricane 3 (Neo) and european/japanese Tensor rubbers, the answer is quite clear: Hurricane wins. I've never had this much fun with my forehand.
If however the question is chinese vs euro/jp. as stated above, I'd have to go with euro/jp. Simply because a) I didn't try enough chinese rubbers to give a reputable opinion and b) I'm not too fond of the quality control issues which you're more likely to face with chinese rubbers. It's cool to get a sheet for 10 bucks, but if I have to buy 6 of them to get a good one I might as well go with a T05 and at least be able to rely on Butterfly's QC.

So yeah, in regards to the forehand, it's as follows: H3 > euro > anything else
I don't really have the technique to slap a rocksolid chinese rubber onto my backhand, so that's kind of out of the question. medium-hard to hard euro/jp rubbers all the way on the BH :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Since everyone here is stumping for the Chinese rubbers, let me speak out and defend Euro rubbers. Those of us who have physical issues that affect our strokes and make us swing from the shoulder more than we should appreciate Euro rubbers, especially Tenergy.

People who don't see anything special in Tenergy need to appreciate how easy it is to spin with it. Whether its price is adequate to justify its performance vs other rubbers is a personal thing, but I know I wouldn't feel as comfortable playing with anything else right now - I know that even my weak strokes are spinny so I will pay for it and just absorb the cost differential.

I worked my shoulder to death last year using Chinese rubber and Euro Chinese rubber equivalents. Right now, I am recovering with Tenergy and happily too.

Not everyone wants to have a massive forehand where they go all out all the time. Some of us have all round forehands that block as well as loop and may even just roll the ball from distance. For all such forehands, it is good to have Euro rubbers. Even many of the top European players agree as most of them use Euro rubbers despite having world class forehands.

says what [IMG]
The way I see it, I'd really love Tenergy, because I think my touch is good enough to just let it do the job for me and produce more spin and speed than I'm normally capable of.

However, I'm reasonably fit and young, and I wanna develop my technique, and I'm a cheapass, so I'm gonna root for tacky hard sponge. :p