Do we have the reason to suppose that the finals of London OG 2012 was fixed?

Lan

says ahh that sucks, thamks for writing back though:)

Lan

Jan 2011
http://tabletennista.com/2014/10/li...o-to-lose-against-zhang-jike-in-london-video/

Based on this article LG actually told Wang Hao to lose against Zhang Jike in the finals, the reason being that if Zhang Jike lost he wouldn't have mental toughness to deliver in the team event. According to this article, Liu Guoliang actually told Wang Hao to swallow his pride for the better good of China lol. China won as you all know but this didn't really prevent Zhang Jike from losing against Boll, which doesn't really justify Liu Guoliang's judgement after all.

This really makes me question LG's integrity as a coach as he should treat all his athletes equally as human beings with desires and goals, which they have worked for their entire life for, as opposed to his assets. This also brings up another debate: Was this year's finals also fixed?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
I think it's wrong because :
- Tabletennista used to do some mistakes with chineses translations
- Even it is true, LGL didn't say it to journalists (no interests to say it)
- Zhang Jike didn't need to be focus at 100% to beat others best players
- If Zhang Jike would have lost, LGL is best to motivate players

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I would not buy into anything like that based on a tabletennista article!

That whole thing was a clickbait operation with the kind of journalistic ethics you would see if scorpions ran newspapers.

You make something like that up, people will click. (Maybe not enough clicks though, since someone posted recently that they are going defunct and they have not posted anything new since the end of May).

The thing about stuff like that is it plays into some people's prejudices about China and LGL etc. Some people want to believe things like that. And there is always a market in some circles for conspiracy theories. You see a similar sort of thinking on threads about the new coaching rules. There is some guy at MyTT who, based on his comments, seems to think that CNT players have chips implanted in their brains that allow LGL to control them as if they are robots, and that players like the current Ma Long and ZJK a couple of years ago wouldn't have won without his coaching at the match! The fact is, these guys were just better than everybody else and it is demeaning to their talent and work to suggest otherwise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I understand Baal's point. If you're going to make a serious accusation about someone's character and reputation then you should have the decency to produce a reliable source.

I agree with Baal's conclusion but he is ignoring a lot of important and relevant evidence on the way to it. I also think that people who believe the final was fixed can reasonably believe it without incident, even if they are wrong.

Was this match fixed?

Lan

Lan

Jan 2011
I understand Baal's point. If you're going to make a serious accusation about someone's character and reputation then you should have the decency to produce a reliable source.
I suppose you're right. I thought from the beginning that fixed matches were complete BS until I read this article. But, since, as you've pointed out tabletennista is a shit source and this didn't appear anywhere else, I suppose this is nothing more than a clickbait dressed as a news article.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2015
I am an ardent fan of the player Ma Long:mad::mad::mad:

Liu Guoliang resign. new coach Ma Lin Ma Lin Ma Lin Ma Lin..................

humiliation factory double happiness. Zhang Jike beat advertising billboard factory Double Happiness intentionally, it's a shame. It's the fault of head coach - head coach allowed a player to hit a billboard Double Happiness Factory.Liu Guoliang resign.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo