Who do you think will win the World Cup 2016?

• Fan Zhendong

Votes: 36 50.0%
  • Xu Xin

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Wong Chun Ting

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Jeoung Youngsik

• Lee Sangsu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tiago Apolonia

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (Post Below)

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I can agree with that. Also he has overweight, that can everyone see clearly.
So I expect him to have some health trouble pretty soon.
And that can stop him pretty bad.
He is young, though, so he can probably recover quickly, but you never know..
One fall and he is done..
I would say that there's only slight overweight, if any at all. As Boogar said, it's probably how he's built. I don't expect him to get health issues whatsoever, top (table tennis) athletes have a very strict regime when it comes to physical exercises and food.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
I would say that there's only slight overweight, if any at all. As Boogar said, it's probably how he's built. I don't expect him to get health issues whatsoever, top (table tennis) athletes have a very strict regime when it comes to physical exercises and food.

Define overweight. Id say he is not slim. Id call it healthy. For me overweight is something that hinders you in moving normally. Which surely isn't the case with FZ!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Dimi posted on Facebook today that his grandmother passed away two days before the world cup started.

I've seen that too.
I really wonder why he didn't then pull himself out of the worldcup.
I guess everyone would have understood that.
Everyone at least understood Patrick Baum, when he was going through rough times.
Now it looks a little bit like an excuse...
:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

Close enough.

Some thoughts:

Fan Zhendong is the most technically sound player on the planet, and that should remain the case for the next 6-7 years if not more. Not to say he is necessarily the best yet, as Ma Long could still have the edge because of mental and tactical aspects, but FZD's combination of serve, technique, touch, wrist action, footwork, speed and coordination are better than anyone else's, by a noticeable distance.

As well as Xu Xin plays sometimes and even though he would comfortably take care of any non-Chinese player 9 times out of 10, he continues to prove he lacks something that makes the other big 3 categorically stronger than him (at least if you take ZJK from a couple of years back). I think his weakness is his inability to stay close to the table while staying aggresive at the same time. He is just a fraction too slow.
I believe it's highly unlikely at this point that XX will ever become world or Olympic champion.

Kristian Karlsson will become one of the 2-3 best players in Europe very soon. He is not quite there as of today, but his style of play is already the most effective against the Chinese among all European players. He had a lot of success in this world cup thanks to surprise long serves and inside out forehand flicks, which the competition will eventually learn to expect. His decision making needs some work, but he is technically and mentally all there and is definitely one of the players to look out for.

Going back to pure technical ability, I believe Jeoung Young Sik has set the bar on a new level outside of China. Even Jun Mizutani, who is arguably the best non-Chinese player in the world and has more consistent results that JYS currently, would not be able to handle some of the rallies that JYS was producing with Ma Long and Fan Zhendong recently. His speed and control over the ball is something out of the ordinary.

Something bad is happening to Tiago Apolonia. I dunno if he said anything about it, could be personal life or simply lack of confidence. I imagine he will spend the next few matches as #3 for Saarbrücken.

So many bullshit in one post, the most funny being that a lot of people agreed.

1. On Fan Zhendong being the most technically sound player on the planet : I first thought that you forgot about Ma Long existence but you didnt. As you like guessing, here's my guess : you guys have probably been stuck on ML's performance in the recent China Open, and havent seen him play in OG. So, just for you buddies, I will offer you A GIFT ! HA!
Here you are :

Watch this match, and compare it with the China Open Final.

So??? Your thoughts??? Nothing comes to your mind right now?

You can also compare FZD's World Cup Final performance agaisnt ML's OG Semi-Final performance, its a good exercise. Is FZD still technically better than ML? PLEASE SAY IT AGAIN, with so much faith, its so much fun :D

2. On JYS being technically better than Jun Mizutani : well, watch that ML vs Mizu match again if you need to, and other matches Mizutani won in the OGs. Really, I dont understand how did you found out that JYS is technically better, he has different technique and is better close to the table. But Mizutani is wayyy better far from the table. Oh maybe far from the table technique is inferior to close to the table technique?? THIS IS IT? OK I GET YOUR POINT !

Haha but eh ! 8 likes !

This forum really makes me laugh sometimes.

The part with Karlsson is funny too : "will become one of the 2-3 best players in Europe very soon". Well, WELL. Europe's table tennis has a dark future then :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Hey Jonathan
i think you nailed it perfectly. FZD is just too good in all aspects of the game. some tactical or mental flaws ? I think its past now... MA Long was very lucky FZD was not playing singles in Rio, else i think he would not have reached Gold.

Regarding Karlsson, yes I think he's one of the best promising European players. Along with Gauzy he's a credible candidate to be European Champion someday, but still he is several classes below the Chinese and even the other top Asian players.

I like very much watch JYS play, he's very agressive and spectacular. I think his BH matches the speed and spin of Chinese, but his consistency is slightly below the Chinese, and from both wings he lacks (relatively) power. Just look at the difference of athleticism between him and any Chinese player and you know that's something that probably won't change. So i don't think he can rise to the top.

Mizutani on the other hand, was also lacking power until now, but i think he passed a new level in the Olympics, and could be a real threat to the Chinese in the future. Because in the short and touch game, in the serve/receive game, i think he evens them already, his lack of power was really the no1 problem and he worked a lot to fill the gap.

Else; it looks like Ovtcharov alas will never see again his 2012 form, i think he already peaked and his opponents adapted to his game. and it will be tough for Samsonov to have motivation to play more after this Olympic Tournament and missing his chance to get a medal. I am afraid both Boll and Samsonov will retire very soon.

OH GOD ! I found a more stupid comment than Jonathan's one ! YES ! Congratulations !

Gauzy European Champion. Im French but eh, lets be realistic lmao

About Ma and Fan debate, again... Just to remind you, it was 1 year ago, not that far :

In one little year, Ma Long would go from an easy 4-0 victory to a defeat ! Dude thanks for the great information I couldnt have think about it myself ! (Ok it wasnt an easy victory but eh, I try to challenge you on the most stupid comment challenge. Did I win? :D

Seriously, one guy again that thinks that Ma Long was at his best in the china open.

DONT POST AGAIN BEFORE YOU HAVE WATCHED ALL OG MATCHES OK??

It reminds me of people thinking that Xu Xin was the best in the world cause he won Ma in a Pro Tour. Xu really proved that in the olympics indeed yeyeye, Liu Guoliang should ve send him instead of Zhang rly rly he's so much the best in the world that he lost against Mizutani in the team final yeyeye.

Sorry for caps but I really want people to understand.

PRO TOURS CAN NOT BE TAKEN TOO SERIOUSLY. OK?

Pfiou, rage mode is cool sometimes ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
It's a bit ridiculous to try to claim you have "the truth" about a thing like this.

I'm not sure you're saying this for me cause I didnt claim anything. If yes please read more carefully before posting next time, I didnt claim anything but precisely pointed how these guys were ridiculous with their claims.

says what [IMG]
I'm not sure you're saying this for me cause I didnt claim anything. If yes please read more carefully before posting next time, I didnt claim anything but precisely pointed how these guys were ridiculous with their claims.
"You" is general. Directed to whoever is participating and making statements about players.

What I'm saying that it seems a bit foolish to even talk about this seriously. About the technical ability or the future of very high level pro players' careers.

There are trends and even we can understand those, but it's really much more complex than we think, isn't it?

Reactions: slym
This user has no status.
Reactions: Suga D