Back to Forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
  1. d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 56 223
    d3ss3n's Avatar
    d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 223 56
    #1

    Elbow Pain

    So i have been diagnosed with a tennis elbow in my right hand. As per the doctors advice i have been using an elbow brace and i have stopped playing table tennis since 2 weeks. Anyone has any experience dealing with this terrible pain?

  2. imgoodatgolfthough is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 46
    imgoodatgolfthough's Avatar
    imgoodatgolfthough is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 46 19

    User Info Menu


    Apr 2016
    UK
    46
    19
    177
    Read 0 Reviews
    #2
    yes-play through it
    i play tennis and table tennis and get it from time to time
    i just play through it-rest is good but tt is better.
    it will go and then come back from time to time.
    a brace is good but its finding the right one.
    tennis elbow in right hand??
    in right elbow i assume
    Last edited by imgoodatgolfthough; 09-24-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    john klingerman to this day is the worst ping pong player ever. we know this because he has played a total of 300 ping pong matches and he hasn't scored one point. so then he was declared the worst ping pong player ever.

  3. d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 56 223
    d3ss3n's Avatar
    d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 223 56
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by imgoodatgolfthough
    yes-play through it
    i play tennis and table tennis and get it from time to time
    i just play through it-rest is good but tt is better.
    it will go and then come back from time to time.
    a brace is good but its finding the right one.
    tennis elbow in right hand??
    in right elbow i assume
    I tried playing through it and it puts too much stress on the elbow ans the nezt day the pain is even greater. I did not quite understand the last part of your sentence. I got tennis elbow in my elbow obviously..what i meant was i go in my right elbow and a rightie

  4. CroneOne is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 193 232
    CroneOne's Avatar
    CroneOne is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 232 193
    #4
    Just went through this myself. It stems from over use of the wrist, pulling on the forearm muscles which then pull on the tendons attached to the elbow. Braces didn't help, the pain was too much. I found icing the elbow helped. You can take anti inflammatories but some say they impede healing. Stay off it until you're about 90% healed then have light hits to get the blood flowing through the injury. This is a slow healer. I also do wrist extensor stretches every day. Really annoying injury.

  5. d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 56 223
    d3ss3n's Avatar
    d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 223 56
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CroneOne
    Just went through this myself. It stems from over use of the wrist, pulling on the forearm muscles which then pull on the tendons attached to the elbow. Braces didn't help, the pain was too much. I found icing the elbow helped. You can take anti inflammatories but some say they impede healing. Stay off it until you're about 90% healed then have light hits to get the blood flowing through the injury. This is a slow healer. I also do wrist extensor stretches every day. Really annoying injury.
    I am on anti inflammatories already and i need to ice the area every day. 2 weeks since i stopped playing. Doctor asked me to buy this clasp
    What do you think?

  6. Dan is offline
    says TableTennisDaily 2.0 is now live!!!
     
    Administrator 4,182 6,779
    Dan's Avatar
    Dan is offline
    says TableTennisDaily 2.0 is now live!!!
     
    Administrator 6,779 4,182
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CroneOne
    Just went through this myself. It stems from over use of the wrist, pulling on the forearm muscles which then pull on the tendons attached to the elbow. Braces didn't help, the pain was too much. I found icing the elbow helped. You can take anti inflammatories but some say they impede healing. Stay off it until you're about 90% healed then have light hits to get the blood flowing through the injury. This is a slow healer. I also do wrist extensor stretches every day. Really annoying injury.
    I have this same injury at the moment to. Had it for 3 months. Because I am coaching I cannot find enough time to rest to get rid of the injury. I find ice helps best to and lots of wrist stretches. Sometimes I find doing the stretching brings on the pain to much so I go easy. My pain radiates more in the forearm and inner side of my elbow.

    Overuse injuries are frustrating! Good luck getting rid of your injuries guys!

  7. Xylit is offline
    says ┌П┐(°_°)┌П┐
     
    Senior TTD Member 731 568
    X
    Xylit is offline
    says ┌П┐(°_°)┌П┐
     
    Senior TTD Member 568 731
    #7
    I also suffered from this injury a few years ago. The pain however, was more located at the upper arm, biceps. I could not play without pain medications as the pain was too much. So I took a pill before every match. Needless to say that this was not the best idea. I stopped tt training and going to the gym, the only thing I did was playing team matches at the weekends. I did that for two years, the pain did not go away during all that time although I only played tt at the weekends. Simultaneously I visited some doctors but they could not really help me, they said I have to stop playing tt.

    That is what I did for half a year. No table tennis at all, no sports at all. After that break my arm was healed and I have been doing sports again for over half a decade now without any injuries. All the best to you guys!

  8. d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 56 223
    d3ss3n's Avatar
    d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 223 56
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Xylit
    I also suffered from this injury a few years ago. The pain however, was more located at the upper arm, biceps. I could not play without pain medications as the pain was too much. So I took a pill before every match. Needless to say that this was not the best idea. I stopped tt training and going to the gym, the only thing I did was playing team matches at the weekends. I did that for two years, the pain did not go away during all that time although I only played tt at the weekends. Simultaneously I visited some doctors but they could not really help me, they said I have to stop playing tt.

    That is what I did for half a year. No table tennis at all, no sports at all. After that break my arm was healed and I have been doing sports again for over half a decade now without any injuries. All the best to you guys!
    Half a year without playing? Sounds really hard. I am on medication too and i am using a brace plus icing the elbow every day..the pain for me is more located on the little bone of the outside of the elbow. Am on break since 2 weeks. Hope the pain subsides until next year.

  9. Xylit is offline
    says ┌П┐(°_°)┌П┐
     
    Senior TTD Member 731 568
    X
    Xylit is offline
    says ┌П┐(°_°)┌П┐
     
    Senior TTD Member 568 731
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by d3ss3n
    Half a year without playing? Sounds really hard.
    It was hard. But there was no other option after two years of pain. Although I was able to play under medication my results were not as good as before. And as soon as the pills' effect dropped the pain right after playing was so intense... my arm / hand was shivering, I could not even push open a door without horrible pain in my arm. That's when you would do everything to get rid of that injury. I was lucky that "only" half a year sports break was enough and no operations, injections or whatever were needed and of course that the pain never came back so far.

  10. AgavE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 29 88
    A
    AgavE is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 88 29

    User Info Menu


    Aug 2014
    Russian Federation
    88
    29
    237
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10
    Hello, i wanna help you because i went through it.
    I know fast method but side effects are serious: about 6 years ago i went to a doctor and told him that i must take a part in a important competition but have the pain in my elbow. he said that he can do an injection in my elbow with some steroids, i agree with him. after 2 or 3 days my elbow pain gone, no... it's TOTALLY gone away! it was like a bad dream about elbow pain. so it's continued one year... one year of happiness. After this when i did some crazy topspin smf "cliked" in my elbow and the pain was back. another injection another happy time, BUT it was continued about 3 months, after that pain is back again. another injection helps me for a one week only ;-(.....
    side effect is - my weight - plus 20kg for a one and half year. it's all about steroids.
    don't do it! and surgery will not help too, it's help of 40% people.
    of course bracers will not help too.
    before my tennis elbow i've played with heavy setup (HL5+tenergy+H3Prov) above 205grams now i playing with BTY Mizutani+2Tenergy it's about 175-185grams, yes i can't pull such a rocket jet like with H3, but my elbow feels comfortable with that.
    Take a lighter racket!!!
    And the last but very important what helps me to get well with my elbow: some execuses, i will find in www pictures or video and post it here.
    PS: if you are not get rest from tennis now - you will not be able to back soon. i promise you, i was on your place.
    PPS: http://bartendaz.ru/wp-content/uploads/pr1.gif
    you must do it by your wrists only.
    starts with 2 times up/down, about one week, after that 3times about half of week, and after that 4times and no more!
    weight must be about 1kg.
    good luck and i open for questions.
    Last edited by AgavE; 09-25-2016 at 10:41 AM.

  11. UpSideDownCarl is online now
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,764 14,155
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is online now
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,155 15,764
    #11
    This stretch is very helpful for tennis elbow.



    This is another.



    If you search online for stretches for tennis elbow you will find more stretches for forearm that can help tennis elbow.

    Part of what is going on is that the muscles in your forearm that attach to an area on the radius and ulna are tight and stressed from overwork. So they need to be GENTLY stretched and they need to relax. So the stretches I showed should be done gently and not be done in a way that is too deep.

    Here are photos of another stretch that is really the same but a little easier to do in a gentle way:



    You turn your hand out slowly:





    You only turn out to where you can. I am turning to where I feel useful stretch. Not farther:



    And then the wrist going the other way for a few moments is useful:



    Things like this will help tennis elbow get better. These are likely some of the stretches Dan was talking about.


    Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

    The Following 2 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    Avenger and NextLevel

    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  12. ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,001 1,302
    A
    ajtatosmano2 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,302 1,001
    #12
    I suppose these stretches are good for prevention also. Right?

    The Following User Likes ajtatosmano2's Post:

    UpSideDownCarl


  13. Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 5,894 3,532
    B
    Baal is offline
    says Ba'al has spoken
     
    Master TTD Member 3,532 5,894

    User Info Menu


    Nov 2010
    3,532
    5,894
    15832
    Read 8 Reviews
    #13
    I teach at a medical school and have kept up to date on tendon issues because I have experienced them at some points.

    The stretches might help, they won't hurt if you are reasonable. The literature says, though, that it doesn't work for everybody. And steroid injections have in some patients made the problem worse, not better.

    One thing for sure, you need to take enough time off and "playing through it" is absolutely terrible advice. You may need to take a couple additional weeks. Make no mistake about it, the repetitive use of the tendon in a certain way is inducing a degenerative process and the cells in the tendon (tenocytes) are changing. Tendon is living dynamic tissue. In the worst cases, tennis elbow (or wrist) can become quite chronic so that it hurts all the time and hampers daily life. The tendon will regenerate if you give it a chance. But that means you need to stop doing the things that are breaking it down and that means you have to take enough time off, as much as it sucks to not play.

    Once you start again, you need to do something different or the tendonopathy will simply recur. There is a lot of mechanical stress at on particular point along the tendon that happens on some subset of shots you are hitting (often from the backhand if you are like a lot of people I know). It may not need to be a huge change to reduce this. Something that could work is to get a blade with a quite different handle shape that forces you to change your grip. Grip changes while playing can be enough to solve this, and a handle shape change may make it happen naturally, although it may not be necessary. Maybe a slightly lighter setup, or a faster rubber on the side of the stroke that is causing your problems. Maybe to not hold the handle so tight, or to relax your entire upper body more when playing. It is hard to know without seeing you play or knowing exactly where and when it hurts.

    The Following 3 Users Like Baal's Post:

    Avenger, Dr Evil and 1 other

    Last edited by Baal; 09-25-2016 at 03:16 PM.

  14. UpSideDownCarl is online now
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,764 14,155
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is online now
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,155 15,764
    #14

    Elbow Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by ajtatosmano2
    I suppose these stretches are good for prevention also. Right?
    Yep. They can sometimes be pretty useful. But they are only one factor. They are generally useful because we are using the areas that these stretches address.

    But that will not necessarily stop someone from developing a repetitive stress issue. And when one does develop a repetitive stress issue. Part of what needs to happen IS REST. The body needs a decent amount of rest for the areas that are stressed.

    Tendons have much less vascular flow than muscles so they need far more rest than an injured muscle would. Several months.


    Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus

    The Following User Likes UpSideDownCarl's Post:

    ajtatosmano2

    Last edited by UpSideDownCarl; 09-25-2016 at 03:40 PM.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  15. UpSideDownCarl is online now
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 15,764 14,155
    UpSideDownCarl's Avatar
    UpSideDownCarl is online now
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin
     
    Super Moderator 14,155 15,764
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal
    I teach at a medical school and have kept up to date on tendon issues because I have experienced them at some points.

    The stretches might help, they won't hurt if you are reasonable. The literature says, though, that it doesn't work for everybody. And steroid injections have in some patients made the problem worse, not better.

    One thing for sure, you need to take enough time off and "playing through it" is absolutely terrible advice. You may need to take a couple additional weeks. Make no mistake about it, the repetitive use of the tendon in a certain way is inducing a degenerative process and the cells in the tendon (tenocytes) are changing. Tendon is living dynamic tissue. In the worst cases, tennis elbow (or wrist) can become quite chronic so that it hurts all the time and hampers daily life. The tendon will regenerate if you give it a chance. But that means you need to stop doing the things that are breaking it down and that means you have to take enough time off, as much as it sucks to not play.

    Once you start again, you need to do something different or the tendonopathy will simply recur. There is a lot of mechanical stress at on particular point along the tendon that happens on some subset of shots you are hitting (often from the backhand if you are like a lot of people I know). It may not need to be a huge change to reduce this. Something that could work is to get a blade with a quite different handle shape that forces you to change your grip. Grip changes while playing can be enough to solve this, and a handle shape change may make it happen naturally, although it may not be necessary. Maybe a slightly lighter setup, or a faster rubber on the side of the stroke that is causing your problems. Maybe to not hold the handle so tight, or to relax your entire upper body more when playing. It is hard to know without seeing you play or knowing exactly where and when it hurts.
    Baal's post is excellent and worth reading. It may be hard medicine. But a repetitive stress issue does need rest.

    The stretches I posted are things that can help. But they are sort of like a band aide. The biggest issue in a repetitive stress condition is stopping the action for long enough for the tendons to repair. And tendons actually take a LONG time to repair.

    Also, it makes sense what Baal said about how stretches won't necessarily help everyone.

    Good info Baal. Thanks.



    Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

  16. gman4911 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 42 73
    G
    gman4911 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 73 42
    #16
    Do a google search for "Tyler Twist". It is a proven method to fix tennis and golfer's elbow. I had tennis elbow for 6 months which NSAIDs and braces couldn't fix. I was able to cure my tennis elbow in a couple months with the Tyler Twist, stretching, and massaging. It will hurt in the beginning and you may not see improvement for the first few weeks but as your forearm gets stronger the pain will slowly go away.

    The Following User Likes gman4911's Post:

    NextLevel

    Last edited by gman4911; 09-25-2016 at 03:45 PM.

  17. d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 56 223
    d3ss3n's Avatar
    d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 223 56
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by AgavE
    Hello, i wanna help you because i went through it.
    I know fast method but side effects are serious: about 6 years ago i went to a doctor and told him that i must take a part in a important competition but have the pain in my elbow. he said that he can do an injection in my elbow with some steroids, i agree with him. after 2 or 3 days my elbow pain gone, no... it's TOTALLY gone away! it was like a bad dream about elbow pain. so it's continued one year... one year of happiness. After this when i did some crazy topspin smf "cliked" in my elbow and the pain was back. another injection another happy time, BUT it was continued about 3 months, after that pain is back again. another injection helps me for a one week only ;-(.....
    side effect is - my weight - plus 20kg for a one and half year. it's all about steroids.
    don't do it! and surgery will not help too, it's help of 40% people.
    of course bracers will not help too.
    before my tennis elbow i've played with heavy setup (HL5+tenergy+H3Prov) above 205grams now i playing with BTY Mizutani+2Tenergy it's about 175-185grams, yes i can't pull such a rocket jet like with H3, but my elbow feels comfortable with that.
    Take a lighter racket!!!
    And the last but very important what helps me to get well with my elbow: some execuses, i will find in www pictures or video and post it here.
    PS: if you are not get rest from tennis now - you will not be able to back soon. i promise you, i was on your place.
    PPS: http://bartendaz.ru/wp-content/uploads/pr1.gif
    you must do it by your wrists only.
    starts with 2 times up/down, about one week, after that 3times about half of week, and after that 4times and no more!
    weight must be about 1kg.
    good luck and i open for questions.
    I dont think i will ever have to do an injection in the elbow itself. I would rather let it heal through medication and rest but thanks a lot for your advice

  18. Tharindu Manawadu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 22 88
    T
    Tharindu Manawadu is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 88 22
    #18
    Only now i understood i had this thing like two years ago but i played through it for like six months and then it was gone

  19. d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 56 223
    d3ss3n's Avatar
    d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 223 56
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    This stretch is very helpful for tennis elbow.



    This is another.



    If you search online for stretches for tennis elbow you will find more stretches for forearm that can help tennis elbow.

    Part of what is going on is that the muscles in your forearm that attach to an area on the radius and ulna are tight and stressed from overwork. So they need to be GENTLY stretched and they need to relax. So the stretches I showed should be done gently and not be done in a way that is too deep.

    Here are photos of another stretch that is really the same but a little easier to do in a gentle way:



    You turn your hand out slowly:





    You only turn out to where you can. I am turning to where I feel useful stretch. Not farther:



    And then the wrist going the other way for a few moments is useful:



    Things like this will help tennis elbow get better. These are likely some of the stretches Dan was talking about.


    Sent from Inside The Chamber of Secrets by Patronus
    Thanks a lot for your advice UpSideDownCarl..i am trying tbese stretches right away

  20. d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 56 223
    d3ss3n's Avatar
    d3ss3n is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 223 56
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Baal
    I teach at a medical school and have kept up to date on tendon issues because I have experienced them at some points.

    The stretches might help, they won't hurt if you are reasonable. The literature says, though, that it doesn't work for everybody. And steroid injections have in some patients made the problem worse, not better.

    One thing for sure, you need to take enough time off and "playing through it" is absolutely terrible advice. You may need to take a couple additional weeks. Make no mistake about it, the repetitive use of the tendon in a certain way is inducing a degenerative process and the cells in the tendon (tenocytes) are changing. Tendon is living dynamic tissue. In the worst cases, tennis elbow (or wrist) can become quite chronic so that it hurts all the time and hampers daily life. The tendon will regenerate if you give it a chance. But that means you need to stop doing the things that are breaking it down and that means you have to take enough time off, as much as it sucks to not play.

    Once you start again, you need to do something different or the tendonopathy will simply recur. There is a lot of mechanical stress at on particular point along the tendon that happens on some subset of shots you are hitting (often from the backhand if you are like a lot of people I know). It may not need to be a huge change to reduce this. Something that could work is to get a blade with a quite different handle shape that forces you to change your grip. Grip changes while playing can be enough to solve this, and a handle shape change may make it happen naturally, although it may not be necessary. Maybe a slightly lighter setup, or a faster rubber on the side of the stroke that is causing your problems. Maybe to not hold the handle so tight, or to relax your entire upper body more when playing. It is hard to know without seeing you play or knowing exactly where and when it hurts.
    I think its due to my setup that i got this injury. BLADE DONIC EPOX CARBOTEC..FH DONIC JP 01, BH YASAKA RAKZA 07. for now i am on hiatus but when i start playing again i want to try an all wood blade instead of carbon and as for rubbers i already a new one...Xiom Omega V Pro for BH...as for FH i am still unsure whether to use MX-P or EL-S

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.