Help! How to coach a complete newbie?

says what [IMG]
I see Arch haz SUM google skillz, he also mentioned coach Larry (even if he never met coach Larry or subscribes to his blog).

The things Archo mentioned are some of the ways to keep kids' interest... they are workable and only the OP knows his kids over us, we are many thousand KM away.
It's quite insulting that you think I don't subscribe to his blog and haven't been subscribed to it for years and reading it religiously. As soon as I started googling table tennis things, I found his blog. :p

UrbanZ, everyone has given you great tips... for later down the road, but you gotta deal with RIGHT NOW...

so far only Next Level has included the all-important MAKE IT FUN in the responses.

MANY ways to go about it. IF there are only two tables, you will need to have the kids form a line and have 1-3 hits with you and cycle out.

many ways to encourage, but challenge them to hit a certain spot target on table and then coach must drink FROG PISS (Lemonade... but the kids do not need to know that).

Larry Hodges, a pro kids coach in USA has a certain frog he has as a target.

Many ways to go about it, but if you cannot make the kids excited and have fun, it is over.

It all starts with fun, then as time goes by, they enjoy and want to get better, then they can start listening to you and your great ideas.
What Frog Piss you're talking about. Do I need to take the literal meaning? Or is it some kind of drink? Sorry, I don't think we have it in the UK.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ok guys, so far, after today (today is my first session of coaching), my energy depleted after just an hour. But not because I'm tired feeding the ball, but exhausted from dealing with each kids behaviour.
Plus, the first hour was with the primary schoolers.
The second hour was with secondary schoolers, and it is a little bit better than the the first session.
Basically, what me and my colleague did were trying to instill some table tennis rules, some multiball just to let everyone got the chance to hit the ball, even if the ball went all the way to the moon, and some double practice. Plus, we guided them on how to hit the ball to the other side of the table.
But to be honest, it's really a hard job. But, if the school asks me to make a school team, I could see several talents to start with real training.
But, looking forward for the next week session.

Reactions: ajtatosmano2
It's quite insulting that you think I don't subscribe to his blog and haven't been subscribed to it for years and reading it religiously. As soon as I started googling table tennis things, I found his blog. [emoji14]
Guys, calm down. Keep it peace[emoji1]

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's quite insulting that you think I don't subscribe to his blog and haven't been subscribed to it for years and reading it religiously. As soon as I started googling table tennis things, I found his blog. :p

Archo, if you missed it, Der gave you a complement. Read what he said again. Hopefully you can figure it out.

Note: he doesn't say whether you subscribe or not. He says, even if you didn't you post some good info on how to keep kids interested.

As far as being subscribed and reading it for years, how long have you been playing TT again? You might as well take the compliment and realize that, of all the people on TTDaily, Der has been most supportive of you.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This video has some information on off the table exercises that might be useful.

I don't see the video. I am not sure how I forgot to post it. But, here, this video has footage of a lot of things that you can have kids do off the table to help develop skills. It also has ways of working on the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok guys, so far, after today (today is my first session of coaching), my energy depleted after just an hour. But not because I'm tired feeding the ball, but exhausted from dealing with each kids behaviour.
Plus, the first hour was with the primary schoolers.
The second hour was with secondary schoolers, and it is a little bit better than the the first session.
Basically, what me and my colleague did were trying to instill some table tennis rules, some multiball just to let everyone got the chance to hit the ball, even if the ball went all the way to the moon, and some double practice. Plus, we guided them on how to hit the ball to the other side of the table.
But to be honest, it's really a hard job. But, if the school asks me to make a school team, I could see several talents to start with real training.
But, looking forward for the next week session.

The kids are totally different. 7-12, most of your focus is on keeping their extremely short attention span with competitions. You also will probably be coaching for half an hour and playing games for half an hour. What you do is that you use the games a carrot or stick - if they do well in the coaching half, they play better games in the games half or they can even start games earlier. Make the trouble makers sit on the sidelines and watch the games or the coaching.

Larry Hodges has a handbook for table tennis coaches for sale. It is on Amazon - I suggest you get one.

says what [IMG]
Archo, if you missed it, Der gave you a complement. Read what he said again. Hopefully you can figure it out.

Note: he doesn't say whether you subscribe or not. He says, even if you didn't you post some good info on how to keep kids interested.

As far as being subscribed and reading it for years, how long have you been playing TT again? You might as well take the compliment and realize that, of all the people on TTDaily, Der has been most supportive of you.
Oh yes, I realized. Thanks, Der_!

However, I've been reading Hodges' blog for as long as I've been playing, it's one of the very first things I found on the internet regarding table tennis. So, I can technically say I've been reading it for "years". ;)

Reactions: urbanzakapa
The kids are totally different. 7-12, most of your focus is on keeping their extremely short attention span with competitions. You also will probably be coaching for half an hour and playing games for half an hour. What you do is that you use the games a carrot or stick - if they do well in the coaching half, they play better games in the games half or they can even start games earlier. Make the trouble makers sit on the sidelines and watch the games or the coaching.

Larry Hodges has a handbook for table tennis coaches for sale. It is on Amazon - I suggest you get one.

Thanks @NextLevel . Will do! Cheers!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
That is fair, I was wrong. I am sorry.

You picked a great blog to follow, Larry knows what works. Anyone who looks at who he trains 1 to 2 years down the road and how they progress vs others is a telltale sign.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UrbanZ... the frog piss thing... if the kids think it is frog piss and hit the target and make you drink it, and make sour face, kids love that. So the kids all want to make coach drink, so they try harder to hit the target.

Larry frequently talks about his frog target and bug juice.

UrbanZ... the frog piss thing... if the kids think it is frog piss and hit the target and make you drink it, and make sour face, kids love that. So the kids all want to make coach drink, so they try harder to hit the target.

Larry frequently talks about his frog target and bug juice.

Oh haha. I should try to make a tasty drink then. Just need to practise my disgusting facial reaction.

Reactions: Suga D