Dimitrij Ovtcharov using Hurricane rubber at World Cup 2016!

says Thank you for your all interest. Please email me at...
Oct 2015
I just received this photo from my friend, a close up of Ovtcharov's forehand rubber at the World Cup. Look, he is using a Chinese rubber looks like a DHS rubber blue sponge?

Strange I think.

dimitrijovtharov.jpg

Oct 2015
hahaha so that is why his stroke seems different in the training hall videos haha the loud cracking sound and the slow spinny loop in the end. the closer angle and a different stroke lol my intuition was right haha

You are right... tacky rubber with haifu oil...

Oct 2015
wow Donic has a lot of explaining to do. Look at his shoes, Donic Drive 6? hahaha

I bet donic knows and they are gonna do nothing with this. They needs his face...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
We shouldn't make statements about that it isn't helping him. Yes, the players ability what is more important, but better equipment won't make them worse. Kristian Karllson played very well and he has a style what's hard to deal with for Dima. Oshima Yuya beat him two times and we can observe some similarities. Both player (OY and KK) has a well developed, very powerful FH and able to attack consistently with power. On the backhand side they both use aggressive close to table shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Read 3 reviews
You could clearly see that dima wasn't used to the H3. Whenever he opened up with the forehand or tried to to finish points with it he hesitated. It seemed like he had problems with the higher throw angle. In the warm up video we can see his much more horizontal stroke, which he forgot about in the match.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
I think it would be pretty difficult to switch to a different set-up at that level.
He may be thinking that by using what the Chinese use, his FH will have an advantage. His expectations would be high perhaps. Miss a few FH's and the equipment change would start to creep in mentally.
I give him thumbs up for wanting to explore changing parts of his game but it must not be not easy when you are trying to re-wire 1000's of hours of conscious to unconscious practice. I bet his coach told him he'd probably lose a few games before it becomes natural.

YES!!! this is such good news if he can tackle it. a tacky rubber is the meta game imo. needs to be more standard in Europe. better spin on serves, better control and spin in short game, and still exceptional looping ability. weak at slamming, but it's a slam. if you're slamming, then you should win the point regardless of rubber. it's harder to learn also, so you learn really good technique because they are not forgiving.