Extreme Table Tennis Training with weights and UFC masks!

says You cheeky bugger calling me Mehul, the boy that...
Oct 2010
I believe in development and growth by pushing beyond your current skill and capability. So here is one of my crazy training regime.

What do you guys think? Ankle weights and UFC restriction mask. Exercise, open up - soft block followed up with a power shot

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Felibaraty%2Fvideos%2F1308325992514051%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

This user has no status.
Nice but maybe instead of weights, you could push yourself better by wearing no weights and restrains but have your partner feed balls at a much faster pace, at more extreme angles and for a longer duration per cycle: say 5-10 mins straight non stop.Its a different form of intense training with emphasis on speed and endurance but I believe its more relevant in match-like situations.

PS: I'm no coach, but this is just my personal opinion. Hopefully other certified members can give better advice

Oct 2010
Hi Silent Rain,
I did speed work also, with these restraints, this is just one exercise. This exercise was specific to this young man. Because when he gets a weak ball he holds his breath and tenses up and generally misses a relatively weak ball. This particular exercise forced him to breath while playing a weak ball.
I hope that makes sense! But yes we also encoprated many other drills alongside these physical restrictions

Reactions: Boogar and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hi Silent Rain,
I did speed work also, with these restraints, this is just one exercise. This exercise was specific to this young man. Because when he gets a weak ball he holds his breath and tenses up and generally misses a relatively weak ball. This particular exercise forced him to breath while playing a weak ball.
I hope that makes sense! But yes we also encoprated many other drills alongside these physical restrictions

Hey Magictouch,
very interesting. Thanks a lot for sharing.
It totally makes sense to me.
We have one guy at our club who seems to have a pretty identical problem with tensing up at the "wrong" moments.
He plays "Killer"-balls on some really difficult shots, and then misses on a relatively easy high ball...

I think I definitely should show him your vid and maybe even try it out.
Lovely.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2015
In my opinion is not good, You need exercises for your footwork, beacuse you are very low.

If you also want's lost your weight and improve your efficiency, run 25-30 km per week and use cardio traning.

First you must be very good without mask.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Felibaraty%2Fvideos%2F1308325992514051%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>[/QUOTE]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
In my opinion is not good, You need exercises for your footwork, beacuse you are very low.

If you also want's lost your weight and improve your efficiency, run 25-30 km per week and use cardio traning.

First you must be very good without mask.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Felibaraty%2Fvideos%2F1308325992514051%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe>

I could be wrong, but I think it's the coach posting here and not the trainee...

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says what [IMG]
I could be wrong, but I think it's the coach posting here and not the trainee...
That is my impression as well.

Perhaps the coach felt that this is necessary to improve the student.

Perhaps Mardosta also didn't notice that he has leg weights on. I've never played with them but I can imagine it'd slow you down a great deal.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This isn't my kind of tea, I meant training method
I would say, focus on the basics first, and then add weights.
His feet is now even heavier grounded

The mask.... this is the first time I heard of this method
I would say breathing abnormally will make the whole body wrong - seems like the is struggling in the video.

I would like to add, he should have more waist movement, but the limitation could be from the weight and/or breathing.

Weight training is for speed, but I doubt speed is the core focus hear (yet)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
says what [IMG]
If one googles "UFC restriction mask", then the top link is an article describing how little scientific evidence is there behind their claimed usefulness. The remaining links try to sell you one. LOL.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/2014...sons-not-to-wear-a-mma-altitude-training-mask
I think Tony's TT said it best.

He's a "Verified Pro Coach" according to the title, and knowing his previous posting history, I'm inclined to take his word.

I'm not too sure myself if training with one of those is useful, or dangerous, or what, but you'd think that their use was more widespread if they had a real good use. It's always a bit tricky with things that restrict normal body function.

"Extreme" anything is always a bit of a red flag too: extreme compared to what? Pros don't train with these. Is their training not extreme enough? Maybe it's extreme for your health? :p

says what [IMG]
Your ignorance is quite annoying.
There's more than only one verified pro coach in here!

FTR:
http://www.elibaraty.com

https://www.topspintt.com/summer-camp/

I think he knows what he's speaking of!

I am quite ignorant about the matter indeed. That's why I'm thinking "If the coach says so, so be it". I don't think a good coach would do something unnecessary.

However I've never heard of these being used in TT training. Are they really common? Are the benefits proven?

EDIT: Also, why does Eli not have the "Verified Pro Coach" title? I think it'd be useful for people like myself who aren't knowledgeable about their background, and we could maybe look them up and become educated.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
hey guys help

Hello everyone, my name is Jean, I am Brazilian, I'm 19 years old. I came here to tell you a little of my story and ask for help, because I'm honestly tired and thinking of quitting.At the beginning of 2015, I found tennis table again, he started and played twice, but had to work night and did not have time to continue. At first it was fun, until I come face to face with some problems such as material costs (further ahead I will explain my situation), cost to attend Brazilian competitions, costs to federate, costs up to get to my training place and play in a internal ranking. Earlier this year I had to serve in the army (in Brazil is mandatory), I ended up breaking the anterior cruciate ligament. As everyone knows Brazil is in economic crisis, and it was quite complicated pay for the surgery to operate outside the physical therapy, periods of constant pain, in short, this time I went back to training, and now I noticed that I can not move as fast as used to handle Japanese pen. I have 1.88 of height and weight 78kg, so my coach told me to play with the shakehand grip. Unfortunately I have no money and can not even get a job, so I came here humbly ask someone to donate me a wooden and 2 erasers. Unfortunately in my club they would not help me, even though I asked, since the crisis unfortunately left everyone '' tight financially. '' I wanted to ask you from another country, or someone who has a better financial situation, help, give myself enough in table tennis, but without the basics is not how to move forward, training every day, run in training, I do a lot years in the army, have to get up 4 am and sleep midnight, but nothing prevents me from continuing my dream of being a professional table tennis player. I wanted to ask your help with a dream.I'm sorry if the text is in an error, do not speak English and I found here the google translator.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I am quite ignorant about the matter indeed. That's why I'm thinking "If the coach says so, so be it". I don't think a good coach would do something unnecessary.

Dude, ONCE AGAIN you speak from theory. Afaik you NEVER had a coach!

I guess some people just like playing the fool!

says what [IMG]
Dude, ONCE AGAIN you speak from theory. Afaik you NEVER had a coach!

I guess some people just like playing the fool!
I don't want to derail the topic into one about myself.

Eli said, "What do you guys think?". This is what I think. Maybe I am completely wrong. I don't have knowledge in high level coaching, so I ask.

So:

Why exactly the mask AND the weights? Does the student regularly train with the weights, or is it just for his holding breath issue?

I'm very curious what kind of train of thought got the coach to this solution. Of course if they are trade secrets, there's no need to share them. ;)

Oct 2010
Yes correct makes him conscious of his breathing,
Ankle weights because he personally doesn't not get into the right position to excute a high quality shot. This makes him concious of his feet. Once removed this excerciss was done effortlessly.

I would like to add that I do not do these things on a regular/constant basis, I find a problem and look for solutions trying all avenues.

Regarding certified coach I didn't know I needed this nor did I know about it. I was asked by my good friend Daniel Ives to post this on his site when he saw it on my Facebook page.
Please don't get personal or upset with one another it's just a topic.

And the comment of what do you think was not mine... (Mr Ives) ;-)

Last edited: