Training with a robot........good or not?

This user has no status.
Hi All,

So was just wondering and it might have been discussed already but I want to know what people think of using robots to help with their training.
I sometimes struggle to find a partner who is a consistent enough blocker to practice with but now I have access to a pretty good robot that will simulate many drills. It could start with a short back serve then a long dig followed by up to 20 more random or input positions on the table for example.

Or just simple stuff like bh, middle, bh, wide drills with topspin maybe an open up to start from a long dig. Are there any views on the ball you receive from the robot or is watching the ball and hitting it correct and consistent a good place to start with them?
Or do people think ( I know some do) that a robot is crap to practice with. Any advice on good drills or good practice with a robot to push myself.
I am quite good at the basics and the bigger stuff but consistency of my my shot landing lets me down. If I can hit 9/10 on the table instead of 5/10 on the table then surely a robot can help with this, yes or no??????

So what you think people, robot or strictly human TT practice???

Cheers

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Ilia's link shows a thread with the same subject. But it sounds like you have a way better robot.

Even with a very basic robot there are lots of things you can do that are worth working on.

I originally learned a BH on a robot. When I realized how messed up my FH technique was I used a robot to help me fix my FH technique.

Shadow training can also help you improve even though there is no ball!!!! So, if that is the case, of course it can be useful.

Is it the same as hitting with a human? Of course not. But that does not mean it is good.

Will you be able to apply everything you do with a robot to match play? Probably not. But that doesn't matter either. A very common subject for threads on the forum is: "why do I play so well with my coach, (or: while training) and then can't play well in matches.?"

But working with a robot can definitely be useful in a lot of ways. And besides: it is pretty fun.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
robot is just like multi ball training, but I would prefer multi ball feeder vs robot.
The key is to your training program - the drills

I would say, you can program your robot (depending on its features) and do set drills.
Table tennis is about basics, and doing the basics over and over and over and over again.

I for example always do a centre to table, fh side of table, centre to table, fh side etc, and this is for you to do "2 point forward". Then you can move over to 3 point forehand (bh, centre, fh), then you can add in backhand with fh etc.

I would say, set a drill to not more than 4 or 5 shots, and then repeat for a good 300 balls to 500 per drill.
Then this would be good training.
But if you have bad technique, then you are just making the bad technique "better" and more difficult to correct in the future

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I have been using a robot to practice my technique along with a coach on a bi-weekly basis. I would emphasis Tony's point about the drills. Because for me, I have so far practice single stroke with robot although I do see improvement but I don't seem to execute these stroke in match play as anywhere near my performance against robot. I believe drills will help to improve my responsiveness esp if your robot can serve you balls with a random position. Also play more match play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have been using a robot to practice my technique along with a coach on a bi-weekly basis. I would emphasis Tony's point about the drills. Because for me, I have so far practice single stroke with robot although I do see improvement but I don't seem to execute these stroke in match play as anywhere near my performance against robot. I believe drills will help to improve my responsiveness esp if your robot can serve you balls with a random position. Also play more match play.

This is what I noticed too with many "cheaper robots", people end up playing 1 stroke - many times.
I prefer drills, where you have to move a "set pattern"
Some robots can chose placement, and some more expensive can be programmed
At the end of the day, a human feeder can do everything :)

The main different is with 1 stroke and drills is, 1 stroke - the developing player is thinking of hitting the ball, where the drill part - the player is thinking of moving first, then hitting.
I see some club players loving how they wack that fh shot, ball after ball after ball and end up so unbalanced - but not a problem as they are doing 1 shot drill.
Come multi ball with 2 point forward, they look foolish on 1 stroke and can't move at all.

I like to set up drills (feeding) with a "real match" tactical play/strategy.
Better players, then I can block the ball and be like a training partner, but for weaker players, will need to feed the ball to keep the ball alive non stop

Reactions: Rajah* and Suga D
says Ok. If you're interested tell me something. Regards
says Ok. If you're interested tell me something. Regards
May 2013
Read 3 reviews
I have a cheap robot from Tibhar (I think is from Y&T actually) but works good with 40+ balls, has 2 wheels and can send balls to different places of the table. For me, as I can only train with my partners once a week, is a good thing. You have to know how to use it and take advantages from it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I agree with Tony, its been been long debatable issue. Robot vs human trainer that feeds the ball. Rational being think complicated things while we do multiball training which makes the training more interesting and challenging. A good training can help you enrich your skills in time. Robot is good only in giving you timing for 1 certain type of ball

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Many good points has been covered. From my experience, multiball feeder > Decent robot > Cheap robot > no practice.
You just need to work with what you have got. If you feel your partners are not good enough for what you want to be training, then perhaps you may want to try practicing with the help of a robot. From your post, it seems like you have a decent robot, so why not work with it and see if it satisfies you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I agree with Tony, its been been long debatable issue. Robot vs human trainer that feeds the ball. Rational being think complicated things while we do multiball training which makes the training more interesting and challenging. A good training can help you enrich your skills in time. Robot is good only in giving you timing for 1 certain type of ball

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This depends on what kind of robot.
And if it is an entry level robot, which lands the ball in one spot only, I can still suggest drills.

IE, today I was training my 15 year old national junior player with BH to BH, but she needs to hit the ball with 4 level's of power - Soft, normal, burst, power
And then focus on 3 placement areas on the centre to far bh side of the table (with occasionally down the line too)

Of course, with this drill, the best would be a trainer who can block.
Multiball is 2nd, and Robot isn't too far behind ideal too.