(Advice) for my first custom bat

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Hello there guys. I'm an advanced recreational player. I've been playing for about 6 months now. I've noticed I tend to be more of an offensive player, so I want to upgrade my equipment (I'm playing with a pre-assembled Butterfly Wakaba 3000) and I need some advice (excuse me if some of the answers are too obvious, I have never built my own racket):

1) Taking into account I want an offensive racket, do I need both rubbers to be offensive? Would it make sense to have one very fast rubber and a very slow one? (at least for practice purpouses)?

2) Looking at the stats at tabletennisdb, which feats make a rubber more offensive/defensive? I'm guessing speed would be the main one for off. and control/tackiness for def.?

3) Is an anti-spin rubber worth trying for myself as an advanced recreational player?

PD: This is what I've shortlisted so far, any recommendations welcome:

- Blade Galaxy N-9
- FH Giant Dragon Superveloce V12 FX
- BH Gambler Reflectoid 14 (not sure yet)
- Free Chack glue

Thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
Hello there guys. I'm an advanced recreational player. I've been playing for about 6 months now. I've noticed I tend to be more of an offensive player, so I want to upgrade my equipment (I'm playing with a pre-assembled Butterfly Wakaba 3000) and I need some advice (excuse me if some of the answers are too obvious, I have never built my own racket):

heres a suggestion:
Stiga All Around
Fh: Yasaka Mark V
Bh: Gambler Reflectoid 2.0mm

Gambler Reflectoid in 1.5mm Bottoms out for me

This user has no status.
I'm not one of the guys that gave the Jurassic classic (Archosaurus) his equipment advice, but I took advice from the same fellas and have had pretty good success doing so. Get an all wood blade (I got the Dawei Genote Quattro O for 22 USD and it's amazing). If you want slower, go with the Dawei matrix, since it's only 5 ply. For rubber, go with Dawei 2008 XP on both sides in max thickness. If you order from colestt.com the whole thing will cost you about $40 and will do everything you ask of it. If you're out of the U.S. and are concerned with shipping costs, one of the others will have to chime in. All things considered, you'll want a 5 ply, or slow 7 ply ALL/OFF- blade with decently soft and spinny rubbers.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

There have already been plenty of threads around this topic.
Well, I ain't one of the above mentioned guys but maybe you can still value my answers to your questions.

To your first question:
1) Taking into account I want an offensive racket, do I need both rubbers to be offensive? Would it make sense to have one very fast rubber and a very slow one? (at least for practice purpouses)?
it's a very common mistake to think the fastest setup will also be the best.
Generally there's no such thing as a best setup 'cause everybody's got their preferences. So what can be good for Player X could be very bad for Player Y and ofc vice versa.
So if your a beginner or recreational player and want to improve your TT-skills, there are other things to look out for than just pure speed.
These things would be consistency and confidence. So getting an All to All+ fullwood blade with mid-tempo rubbers that provide plenty of control would really be helpful.
Ofc if you don't want to improve as much and rather are looking for fun and recreational purposes just get the fastest and hardest setup available like ZJK SLZC with Bryce Highspeed.
But this is NOT very recommendable.

Blades that actually come to my mind would be something like Yasaka Sweden Extra, Stiga Allround Classic or Evolution, and so many others in that range.
Rubbers would be something like Yasaka Mark V, Donic Vario, and quite a few others. If you're on a budget then the above mentioned Dawei 2008 XP could be a very good alternative.

To your second question:
2) Looking at the stats at tabletennisdb, which feats make a rubber more offensive/defensive? I'm guessing speed would be the main one for off. and control/tackiness for def.?
these specs can be quite tricky 'cause everyone feels things differently, they just can give you a hint towards the direction, so i wouldn't give too much about these specs, same goes for the specs provided by the TT-Companies. But you're actually right, more speed is towards off or even off+ / less speed more control rather def. But tackiness is rather related to spin ability than something like Def or off.

To your third question:
3) Is an anti-spin rubber worth trying for myself as an advanced recreational player?

PD: This is what I've shortlisted so far, any recommendations welcome:

- Blade Galaxy N-9
- FH Giant Dragon Superveloce V12 FX
- BH Gambler Reflectoid 14 (not sure yet)
- Free Chack glue

Thanks in advance.

it depends how "advanced" you are. But none of the coaches I know would recommend this type of rubber to a beginner / recreational player. Same goes for All kinds of pips. No matter if Short, mid or long.
This just isn't recommendable to someone trying to improve. All coaches I know would first want you to have a consistent technique that doesn't fall apart at serious gameplay and hence first would recommend to stick to double inverted rubbers. At least until your technique is there.

But it's actually quite the same as your first question. If you just want to play for the fun of it, then you should go for anything providing more fun, but this wouldn't be recommended to someone who is trying to improve.

Hope this helps a little.

Anyhow here's a link to the thread the knife (theKleifheit13) has mentioned from not too long ago. Maybe this can help you sort out things as well.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?12227-Advice-for-a-new-bat&p=134881

In case carl hasn't answered yet, this could help a little.
Well anyhow: good luck then.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If you are a decent recreational player all you would actually want is a decent blade that is all wood and 5 plies with good ball feel, good dwell time and at least some flex.

You don't really want to be messing with things like antispin or even a rubber that is drastically different for FH and BH. That is you getting more experimental than you want, at least to start out with.

The first priority is a racket that you can do all strokes well with: counterhits, drives, loops, pushes, chops. A setup that enables you to develop more spin while working on the fundamentals.

Until you know there is a reason to specialize, and have a reason to specialize, adding something like pips or antispin to one side would simply mess up your ability to develop higher level technique and better control of brush contact.

Something simple is all you need. For the budget version:

Yinhe Galaxy 896 (blade) with
Dawei 2008XP (rubber) on both sides.

On both sides would be excellent. There are other choices that would be good as well.

If you wanted to spend more money:

Yasaka Sweden Extra (blade) with
Xiom Vega Europe (rubber) on both sides.

Would be one and a half steps up.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
If you are a decent recreational player all you would actually want is a decent blade that is all wood and 5 plies with good ball feel, good dwell time and at least some flex.

You don't really want to be messing with things like antispin or even a rubber that is drastically different for FH and BH. That is you getting more experimental than you want, at least to start out with.

The first priority is a racket that you can do all strokes well with: counterhits, drives, loops, pushes, chops. A setup that enables you to develop more spin while working on be fundamentals.

Until you know there is a reason to specialize, and have a reason to specialize, adding something like pips or antispin to one side would simply mess up your ability to develop higher level technique and better control of brush contact.

Something simple is all you need. For the budget version:

Yinhe Galaxy 896 (blade) with
Dawei 2008XP (rubber) on both sides.

On both sides would be excellent. There are other choices that would be good as well.

If you wanted to spend more money:

Yasaka Sweden Extra (blade) with
Xiom Vega Europe (rubber) on both sides.

Would be one and a half steps up.

Hahahaaa
[Emoji2]
Seems as if we'd been posting parallel.
;)
Didn't mean to steal your thunder. Sorry, mate.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
BTW, the Yasaka Sweden Classic is a good blade as well. Slower and with better feeling.

Right now, I am testing the out of production Grubba Pro, classic All- 5ply with slightly bigger head and thinner composition. I think everyone here knows I am not a beginner or a defensive player ;).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hahahaaa
[Emoji2]
Seems as if we'd been posting parallel.
;)
Didn't mean to steal your thunder. Sorry, mate.

Your post is awesome and I didn't have time to explain reasons. I am glad you covered the important info. I just picked two out of hundreds of possible setups. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Your post is awesome and I didn't have time to explain reasons. I am glad you covered the important info. I just picked two out of hundreds of possible setups. :)

Thanks for the kind words. I think you weren't online when I first started writing, so i thought I might as well jump in.
Thanks again. I'll try to be a bit more patient next time.
:)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for the kind words. I think you weren't online when I first started writing, so i thought I might as well jump in.
Thanks again. I'll try to be a bit more patient next time.
:)

No, really, it is good having someone else who knows what time of day it is posting info. There are plenty of times I see threads like this where I wait to see if anyone else will give good answers. Your post is solid. To me, if the guy gets good information and a racket that will help him improve and develop the technical skills, that is good regardless of who posts the information.

This user has no status.
No, really, it is good having someone else who knows what time of day it is posting info. There are plenty of times I see threads like this where I wait to see if anyone else will give good answers. Your post is solid. To me, if the guy gets good information and a racket that will help him improve and develop the technical skills, that is good regardless of who posts the information.

I was about to say the timo boll t5000 with cnt blue sponge h3 from aliexpress..

But you guys advice is solid 2..

;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Thanks everybody for taking the time to give all your informed advice. I think I'll get rubbers like the ones all you guys suggested (same on both sides, maybe Dawei). I'll research a bit more, but looks like I'm not ready yet to such dramatic change (different FH/BH and an offensive set). I still have to master the fundamentals and adopt a style, to be honest hehe

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
They say necessity is the mother of invention, so when the founder of Fresh-N-Healthy couldn’t find anything “Fresh & Healthy” in a convenient fashion what did he do? Invent the health food market! Well not quite. Founder of Fresh-n-Healthy Meals simply took what he had learned working through college in the hospitality industry and made it convenient to get fresh healthy food delivered right to the customer’s door. He didn’t invent the wheel, he just made the wheel tastier and convenient!