What made you switch to pips out rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
So... I have been thinking about switching to pips out rubber on my backhand. My main reason for doing this is that I find it very hard to learn a good, solid backhand top spin attack shot. I can block ok and flic decently, but for attacking with good top spin far from the table... too difficult.

In a way 'I am giving up', if I switch to pips out and start to chop and defend from backhand. Anybody else feel this way? :) And what made you guys and gals to make this switch?

This user has no status.
A couple of years ago I played very defensive away from the table. Chopped every topspin from below the table with Tackiness C as BH rubber and Tenergy 05 as FH rubber. Worked quite good with some attacks here and there. The reason why I did that was that it was so much fun. I really think that I will somewhen in the future switch to long pips on the backhand to play classic defense just for the fun of it, as soon as I don't care about losing matches / rating points or which league I play in anymore. Right now I am still too ambitious :)

So the reason for me to switch to pips out rubber would definitely be FUN. And to be honest, I don't like the mindset saying "my backhand is so weak, I'll get some pips out rubber to compensate that". If you can't learn a decent BH topspin why do you think you could learn a solid defensive stroke? It is not like you get that pips out rubber and play two skill-levels better. If anything then you will need a few years to get to your current level again (whatever this is). It takes a lot of work and training to be able to play good with a pips out rubber. You could also invest that time working on your backhand topspin instead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Thanks. Good points! I also like to chop from the distance even though I havent practiced it alot. There is the aspect of distraction and forced errors with the pips out rubbers which can cause damage especially to beginner - intermediate players in competitions. This is what I meant as a strategy to switch. You are absolutelly right that defending and pips out rubbers require a lot of training and indeed it is a one possibility that I cant master these either! :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
There are cases when someone's nerves simply doesn't allow to play BH topspins. I know a boy (~13 yo.), who get great coaching from the beginning, trained for years, but he wasn't capable to execute a proper BH loop, only blocks and strange topspin punch shots. After some time, he get a short pip rubber and now he has a good BH.

JMC

This user has no status.
I switched to pips out because I'm impatient and love playing right off the bounce at the table. With pips I can attack earlier, it's not always the best choice, but I have more fun playing this style. I play evolution fx-p forehand and dr. Evil backhand on a super slow wood blade so I can take a real swing at the ball but still hit drop shots if needed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
I switched to pips out because I'm impatient and love playing right off the bounce at the table. With pips I can attack earlier, it's not always the best choice, but I have more fun playing this style. I play evolution fx-p forehand and dr. Evil backhand on a super slow wood blade so I can take a real swing at the ball but still hit drop shots if needed.

That's my problem too!

I have a tendency to do more 'fun' styles, even to my own detriment... people ask why! Why don't I just hit this or that shot for an easier win. But at the end of the day, I'm a garbage amateur player! What would winning a few more games, even a state championship get me? Some more flair to use on an internet forum!?

Having said that, I would 100% say my biggest hindrance to improving is definitely myself! Too much swapping and oddball behavior. Drilling the basics and becoming the "robot" player would lead to more wins, as I did follow this route for a bit.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I used to use pips out on my BH as my coach wanted me to use FH more and play closer to the table.

One thing you must know is that winnning, especialy in mens competition, is LOT harder with BH pips out because 1) it's almost impossible to counter away from the table 2) it's harder to open with pips out 3) it's more inconsistant than pips in because of no top spin.

But as others say, some people do find it easier to play with pips out on BH, maybe you're one of them. I wouldn't recomend it unless you have great footwork, super FH, have guts to play close to the table and have loads of time and patience to master pips out technique.
Honestly, as you progress you will find the majority of points are won by your FH anyway so same time and effort could've been spent on mastering BH drives with pips in?

I loved BH flicks and blocks and smashes, but looking back I wouldn't make a switch if I could go back in time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I can block ok and flic decently, but for attacking with good top spin far from the table... too difficult.

There is no need to back off the table to play a backhand loop. In the modern game backhand loop is played close to the table very early after the bounce. A very short but spinny stroke.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2016
Great responses! I tend to play away from the table, which might not be a good fit for swithing to pips out.