Jean Michel Saive vs Thomas Weikert - Who would you vote for?

Who would you vote for?

• Thomas Weikert (Germany)

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Jean-michel Saive (Belgium)

Votes: 37 94.9%

• Total voters
says Table Tennis - the sport for life.
Jan 2013
As some of you would know already, in May 2017 there will be an election for ITTF president, and so far the 2 candidates are Jean-michel Saive and current (un-elected) president Thomas Weikert.

If you had a vote (unfortunately individuals don't, only National Associations do), who would you vote for and why?

weiker-vs-saive.jpg

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Cool topic @haggisv here are our two podcasts with both candidates.

Jean Michel Saive Podcast:

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4741816/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/autoplay/no/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

Thomas Weikert Podcast:

<iframe style="border: none" src="//html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/4517775/height/360/width/640/theme/standard/autonext/no/thumbnail/yes/autoplay/no/preload/no/no_addthis/no/direction/backward/no-cache/true/" height="360" width="640" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
In what way has Weikart been effective? Plastic ball situation by itself screams for new blood. Is JMS the right guy? I have no idea but can things get worse? Doubtful. At the end of the day ITTF will continue to be a corrupt organization as long as Presidents are elected by national organizations each one of which has an equal vote.

Last edited:

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
It would be interesting to see what Saive can bring to the sport. I'm somewhat skeptical because a great player and popular person, isn't always the best leader. Weikert sounds like an intelligent person with lots of ideas. The testing should prove if these ideas are actually improving the sport.

I'd like to see Saive's impact on the sport, but I'm not sure it should be in the specific function of president.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
what are the national organizations? Are they like JTTA and all of those?

Yes. Also like USATT, ETTA, etc. But the vote from Solomon Islands TTA or Uzbhekistan TTA counts the same as China or Germany associations. And what sways their vote? Development funds from ITTF spent in their countries, even if they have basically no international players. A form of bribery that really does nothing for the sport, but is how Adham Sharara stayed president so long. That leads to corruption. It is straight out of the FIfA playbook. Good thing about Saive is he would be very new blood. Different from Platini.

I don't trust Weickert yet. Too much of an ITTF insider. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think we need big change.

Point is though that our opinions matter for nothing. National associations each get one vote. But we have to go along with whatever ITTF decides.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Plastic balls and TTX are enough. Go Jean-Michel and bring back table tennis to table tennis players.

Like seriously I clicked randomly on the podcast and I heard his idea would be to only serve with the backhand, I hope he is joking but this isn't kind of funny...

Less variety, less spin, less speed seems to be the main goal of ITTF but these caracteristics are the essence of our sport and why we like it !

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Plastic balls and TTX are enough. Go Jean-Michel and bring back table tennis to table tennis players.

Like seriously I clicked randomly on the podcast and I heard his idea would be to only serve with the backhand, I hope he is joking but this isn't kind of funny...

Less variety, less spin, less speed seems to be the main goal of ITTF but these caracteristics are the essence of our sport and why we like it !

This sums up my feeling pretty well.

I knew we were in trouble when Weikert was asked about the problems with the plastic balls at the Olympic Games and players complaining about those balls, and he tried to smile and pretend that there was no problems and no players were complaining.

To me, not to acknowledge that there are real problems with the plastic ball and that players at the Olympic Games definitely complained about them is totally disingenuous.

I personally don't care which plastic ball you like. I like the seamless and the Nittaku Premium. I would find the Butterfly G40+ pretty okay if they were round.

But the seamed balls that come from DHS and Double Fish are terrible.

However, regardless of being okay with Nittaku Premium, Seamless and G40+, I AM NOT OKAY with just how DIFFERENT each of those is from each other.

Back in the days of the celluloid 40mm ball, you could feel differences. Between balls from different brands. But I could train with Double Fish balls and play a tournament that used a Nittaku ball and have next to no adjustment to play with the Nittaku ball, and vice versa. But with the 40+, you really need to train with the ball they will use if you are going to play a tournament. It is a problem in and of itself that each of the balls play so differently to all the other balls. And a president who doesn't acknowledge that problem can't address it.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: Baal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I guess ITTF's main job is to grow the sport and catering for top players/competitions are only small part of their job.

How capable is Saive as a sport admin? He was a pro player until last year but running for top office job in all table tennis? Can a Belgium in this forum tell me his past achievement as a non-player because googling only tells me he's only been a chair of the European Olympic Committees Athletes Commission.

On the other hand, Weikert seems to lack vision and leadership but he'll follow Sharara's path as long as he stays as a chairman.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
If you can't admit there are problems with plastic ball situation, you should not be ITTF president. Weickert is like Sharara in this regard. Big sign we need someone new. Its not that hard of a job. JMS will be an upgrade. He acknowledges reality.

But it won't be decided on basic of what is best for the sport. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Jan 2013
Thanks for voting everyone! The views of the online community is pretty conclusive! If you're reading this and have not voted yet, please do so :D
BTW I've asked Saive a few question which he said he was happy to answer (when he find time as he's a very busy man!), including his view on the plastic balls, so I'll post his answer when I get them.