Who do you think will win the European Championships 2016?

• Dimitrij Ovtcharov

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Vladimir Samsonov

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Marcos Freitas

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Timo Boll

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Tiago Apolonia

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Simon Gauzy

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Stefan Fegerl

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Andrej Gacina

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Alexander Shibaev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post Below)

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Also I have information from tt forums that Lebesson played before with Tibhar Sinus Alpha both on fh and bh (year 2011)

That is interesting... Counterlooping a strong topspin should be really difficult with soft rubbers... Or I misunderstand something.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I thought Lebesson's game looked quite ugly. Compared to Ma Long (the gold standard of mechanics) or even his compatriot, Tristan Flore, he seems lacking in proper form. And yet it worked. His quick attacks seemed to give his opponents a lot of trouble. Very comfortable with the plastic ball. No doubt they were motivated to rebound from their team losses in the World Championships and Olympics. They have some measure of redemption. Congratulations to Lebesson and Gauzy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I thought Lebesson's game looked quite ugly. Compared to Ma Long (the gold standard of mechanics) or even his compatriot, Tristan Flore, he seems lacking in proper form. And yet it worked. His quick attacks seemed to give his opponents a lot of trouble. Very comfortable with the plastic ball. No doubt they were motivated to rebound from their team losses in the World Championships and Olympics. They have some measure of redemption. Congratulations to Lebesson and Gauzy.

Lebesson was French champ in 2009 and has been a permanent fixture amongst the top French players for almost a decade. He is not a new quantity and this is the way he has always played. The French in general with a few exceptions are charactericed by non standard technique and creativity. You can check out Legout and Gatien if you doubt this, and Chila will always exemplify unorthodox all round play.

I know what you mean but I think people should stop acting like Lebesson just showed up out of nowhere. Look at his match last year at the WTTC vs Ma Long - that was probably the toughest match Ma Long played against someone not from China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
That is interesting... Counterlooping a strong topspin should be really difficult with soft rubbers... Or I misunderstand something.

It's really supposed to be about how precise the rubber is when you swing hard. I wouldn't be surprised if Lebesson's stroke is taking advantage of something else because I have been fascinated by it for a while. He seems to spend a longer time making contact with the ball than many typical strokes.

Reactions: Ilia Minkin
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
It's really supposed to be about how precise the rubber is when you swing hard. I wouldn't be surprised if Lebesson's stroke is taking advantage of something else because I have been fascinated by it for a while. He seems to spend a longer time making contact with the ball than many typical strokes.

Well, he has to have a very special contact with the ball to make those kind of powerloops he does. I remember when I played with Vega Pro for a while (which has a pretty hard sponge) counterlooping was almost effortless -- just choose the right angle and swing forward as much as you like to. Then I opted for a softish rubber, EL-P which helped my game overall, but counterlooping just sucked. The ball unpredictably went into the net over and over whenever I faced a slightly stronger shot. I don't usually counterloop in matches, but at least I wanted to practice it, so I switched to EL-S which seems to be better in this respect (and it is harder). And FX-P is even softer than EL-P...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, he has to have a very special contact with the ball to make those kind of powerloops he does. I remember when I played with Vega Pro for a while (which has a pretty hard sponge) counterlooping was almost effortless -- just choose the right angle and swing forward as much as you like to. Then I opted for a softish rubber, EL-P which helped my game overall, but counterlooping just sucked. The ball unpredictably went into the net over and over whenever I faced a slightly stronger shot. I don't usually counterloop in matches, but at least I wanted to practice it, so I switched to EL-S which seems to be better in this respect (and it is harder). And FX-P is even softer than EL-P...

I hear you. His stroke is very shallow and sometimes he looks as if he is hitting the ball more than topspinning it. But in any case it will be interesting to see his blade close up. These websites do tell us that Dima is using Bluefire...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
Lebesson was French champ in 2009 and has been a permanent fixture amongst the top French players for almost a decade. He is not a new quantity and this is the way he has always played. The French in general with a few exceptions are charactericed by non standard technique and creativity. You can check out Legout and Gatien if you doubt this, and Chila will always exemplify unorthodox all round play.

I know what you mean but I think people should stop acting like Lebesson just showed up out of nowhere. Look at his match last year at the WTTC vs Ma Long - that was probably the toughest match Ma Long played against someone not from China.

Of course Lebesson has been around, but he's never won the European Championship before. In fact, he's the first Frenchman to do so since 1976. I'm just really happy for him because no one expected him to win. He's not even on the survey list on the top of this post as to who we think will win.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
I saw emmanuel Lebesson 6 month ago in my town. I went for our tournament.

My young son did a selfi with him.

Speed of his arm is insane, I was standing close to him, about 2 meters and I didn't see his arm.

When he hits the high balls, I never saw it, even with chinese players.

Beside table he's so kind, I discussed with him

In front he becomes a killer, you have to get an armor on protecting yourself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Of course Lebesson has been around, but he's never won the European Championship before. In fact, he's the first Frenchman to do so since 1976. I'm just really happy for him because no one expected him to win. He's not even on the survey list on the top of this post as to who we think will win.

But I disagree with you about Ma Long's toughest match from a non-Chinese player. Didn't Lebesson lose 1-3? Tristan Flore extended Ma Long to 3-4 in the Korean Open 2016. Lee Sang Su actually defeated Ma Long 4-1 in the 2012 Korean Open. Now that was a tough match.

At the WTTC in 2015. None of those matches took place at the WTTC in 2015.

Would I have picked Lebesson to win a major title? No. But watching him play in the French league and for France, is there a player he can't give a good match? He is tough if you are not used to him. That's my point.

His technique has always been French ugly as Boll's has been German ugly. I am just not sure why people make it sound like something new.

Reactions: izra
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
At the WTTC in 2015. None of those matches took place at the WTTC in 2015.

Would I have picked Lebesson to win a major title? No. But watching him play in the French league and for France, is there a player he can't give a good match? He is tough if you are not used to him. That's my point.

His technique has always been French ugly as Boll's has been German ugly. I am just not sure why people make it sound like something new.

He's new if you haven't seen him play a lot before. Hahaha. And it did occur to me that your context was wttc 2015. So I tried to edit my text but you were too quick for me. My apologies.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
He's new if you haven't seen him play a lot before. Hahaha. And it did occur to me that your context was wttc 2015. So I tried to edit my text but you were too quick for me. My apologies.

Not at all. Maybe if Lebesson had won this match, then we wouldn't be discussing this :).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
IMO, Leb has always had a higher-risk, low-percentage game in comparison with the majority of other male pros. I lose track of the number of times he's up 6-1 in games after a clutch of amazing close-in shots but then strings 5 errors in a row playing the same way. A tournament win for him requires everything to go his way, or a period of outstanding form - he can't just shamble through a few rounds. Personally, I don't like his style of play, or his shouting, but this was obviously a big achievement for him.

I do wonder if the selection of ball played into his hands in some way. They were using the Nittaku Premium, right? Perhaps it suits his style more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
IMO, Leb has always had a higher-risk, low-percentage game in comparison with the majority of other male pros. I lose track of the number of times he's up 6-1 in games after a clutch of amazing close-in shots but then strings 5 errors in a row playing the same way. A tournament win for him requires everything to go his way, or a period of outstanding form - he can't just shamble through a few rounds. Personally, I don't like his style of play, or his shouting, but this was obviously a big achievement for him.

I do wonder if the selection of ball played into his hands in some way. They were using the Nittaku Premium, right? Perhaps it suits his style more.

Well said there! Lebe was literally counterhitting/loopkilling almost everything and many times off the bounce. I've never seen him play like this, he relies very much on 3rd ball attack fooling the opponent on short game but when the rally opens up FH all over the table cannot give you consistent results without a steady BH. Let's not forget that Gauzy made some crucial unforced errors in the 3rd set, being 7-4 up and then losing all the points.

Anyway, would like to see more of jakub dyjas from now on. I didnt know he was so young, thought he was 25-27 or something

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
I know what you mean but I think people should stop acting like Lebesson just showed up out of nowhere.
Well, but that is exactly what has happened. And that was also possible since the top players had their peak at the Olympic Games this year. Otherwise he might still be "nowhere", of course at a very high level but far away from being at Euoropean Champion level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, but that is exactly what has happened. And that was also possible since the top players had their peak at the Olympic Games this year. Otherwise he might still be "nowhere", of course at a very high level but far away from being at Euoropean Champion level.

The only thing that Lebesson did here that was surprising was play his high risk table tennis more consistently over the period of the Euros. He has probably beaten every player he had played before at the Euros at some point or another. Sure, consider that showing up out of nowhere, but if Lebesson was to play Fan Zhendong, I would bet on Fan Zhendong, but I would never bet my life that Lebesson had no chance of winning. I don't care how good the player is because I have seen interesting things. Lebesson also played the Olympics by the way.