Biggest Downfall of the Plastic Ball

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Can anyone recommend any good training balls?

We currently use Xushofa training balls and to be honest they are not great...

i don't think there is anything much better for training to be honest, but not their training balls, I mean their regular XSF balls.

The Buttefly G40 training ball is actually not too terrible, I actually prefer them to the regular G40+. But for training i use regular XSF.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews

You might want to try Gambler seamless 3 star ball. It's roughly a dollar a ball and plays great IMO. Hard to tell the difference between that and the XSF ball IMO.

Our club uses it as our main tournament ball since it's relatively affordable and it's a 3 star. I like the ball a lot. Try it out.

I think it is pretty much like all the other seamless balls. Good deal for the price.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

The best training balls I've tried so far and the balls we are using for training in my tt club are the Nittaku J-top. They are really a class above other training balls I've tested, I even prefer them to many *** balls.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2013
Read 7 reviews
Lots of good reading in the posts. Has anyone experienced a dull ache in the arm when playing backhands with the plastic ball? I'm not sure if its the weight effect of the new ball but I notice players I coach and myself get a build up in tension in the arm which causes a strong ache which forces you to stop for a minute or so. This has led to bicep tendinitis for me :) Could the plastic ball be causing this? When using a celluloid ball I never noticed this as the ball was a lot more alive, spingier and less effort was needed.

I bet the growing popularity of BH flick ZJK/FZD style has a part to do with arm pain. :cool:

As for training balls I have high hopes on the new DHS D40+. Some say they are cloning NP40+. Only available in 1 star from taobao at the moment. I found them bounce very close to NP40+ than any other in a drop test. In play it varies but more than good enough for training. Looks round and high quality even for 1 star. Last longer than usual DHS. Best of all they are dirt cheap. Cost only 18 RMB for a box of 10 in China. That roughly translate to US$0.27 a ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

In our club we still use that same box of Butterfly Easy Balls from last year. To give you an idea of their durability...

But I totally agree that the playing characteristics are way too different from Brand to Brand and from seamed to seamless.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Differences between brands and types of 40+ ball are, in my opinion, a big problem.

With the celluloid 40mm balls, if you trained with a Nittaku 3 star, or even a Nittaku 2 star and showed up to a tournament that was using a DHS 3 star, you did not need to do anything but 2 or 3 hits to get used to the ball. With these Poly balls, each are so different from any of the others, that it is really like you have to adjust to a new ball every time you change what kind of ball you are using.

Also, why, after so long, are there still no orange (or is it yellow) plastic balls?

What is good about them? The Nittaku Premium and the Seamless ones last quite well.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

+1

I train with Nittaku Premium and sometimes when they use balls of other brands like Stiga or Yinhe in competition, I suck immediately, make a lot of unforced errors and can't adjust quick enough. The difference is huge. It was never like that with the celluloid balls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
To start off with, I'll echo the sentiments of the others.

My main gripe is the HUGE differences in playing characteristics between the balls - I play in 4 different leagues in the UK (there's around 8-10 teams in each League), and pretty much every individual team uses a different ball.

There is no "league standard" unfortunately, so it is up to each team to purchase balls - Like others, I'd favour the Nittaku Premium over anything else.

Dan - Regarding "arm ache", I know what you mean - Although I put this down to having to do that little bit more with the ball (on every stroke) - After a while, it all adds up!

Glad you've finally seen the light after arguing that the balls have nothing to do with increased injuries.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Glad you've finally seen the light after arguing that the balls have nothing to do with increased injuries.

I'm not sure where I said it'll increase injuries? Although if you class "arm ache" as an injury, I suppose that counts!

Dan mentioned the injuries, I just mentioned having to do a bit more with the ball to generate the spin.

I stand by my comments that for me, and my style of play, it hasn't made any difference - Quite clearly, others feel difference, which is fine.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I'm not sure where I said it'll increase injuries? Although if you class "arm ache" as an injury, I suppose that counts!

Dan mentioned the injuries, I just mentioned having to do a bit more with the ball to generate the spin.

I stand by my comments that for me, and my style of play, it hasn't made any difference - Quite clearly, others feel difference, which is fine.

Yes, that is an injury. It is how chronic repetitive use injuries start out.

I think it happens because people unconsciously tense up a bit more with the larger ball, trying to get more speed and spin, more on the BH side for a lot of people. That not only keeps you from getting more speed and spin, it also increases tendon stress. Which may seem like not big deal until it becomes chronic. I have to really focus on relaxing on my BH with these new balls.

There are other reasons and shots whereby these newer balls make it easier to get injured.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
One thing that always annoyed me is that they made the plastic balls larger and heavier at the same time they changed the material. At the time, all ITTF said is that they are simply enforcing the actual rules more strictly, since most 40 mm balls were actually about 39.5-39.7 mm. Yeah. Maybe. But why was that seen as something necessary?

Because they want to slow the game down.

Who knows why? But they never acknowledge that this was their motive. I find it hard to believe that it is to improve TV watching giving the crappy video feeds ITTF provides!

The switch to non-celluloid materials, I can actually see reasons for that related to factory safety. Chinese lives matter. I don't think people should have to risk being burned to death in a factory explosion so we can have ping pong balls.

But some the biggest problems we have with the new balls, including egg shape, fragility, lack of speed and spin, relates to their larger size, and not the materials. And that was completely unnecessary.

By the way, one reason that people like the Nittaku Premiums best is that they are clearly the smallest and lightest balls*. There are other reasons too why those are good balls, but their size and weight is a major one.

* You will read in some places that they feel heavier, but that is not true, I have measured carefully with a sensitive laboratory balance. They are harder, not heavier.

** And relating this issue to the Weickert vs. Saive issue on another thread, the thing I don't like about Weickert is his role in this, and his tendency to not speak openly about what ITTF is up to. Like Sharara, he is not transparent about what the ITTF is up to. Sharara would often say things that were demonstrably false in order to justify an ITTF decisions made for some other reason, like they were banning boosters for health reasons. Weickert has that same tendency.

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel