England Team on Championships always 3 players

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
To be honest,I don't think the others are strong enough to play

You have to think that cost might also be a factor. As regards strength, the three we have chosen are by any objective measure our strongest players. I think Andrew Baggaley might still give a good account of himself if chosen -other than that, I agree !

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
It's a fair point, having a team of 3 at a World Champs isn't a great move if you are in division 1 particularly but I would imagine it's probably a cost thing. I can't see any other reason unless they were considering if any of the potential 4th players would be fit to compete in the highest division which most of the next tier down probably aren't.

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
Tin Tin Ho supposes to be the future of England table tennis, isn,t she ????????

Sep 2016
I think she needs to train in China if she wants to be one of the top players.

This user has no status.
Often, David McBeath, Darius Knight, Andrew Baggaley, Tom Jarvis, Helshan Weerasinghe play in pro tour events/national leagues. I think Helshan plays in Belgium but not sure. There are certainly players of a high enough standard to represent England, so it must be a cost issue in my opinion. I don't think Table Tennis gets much funding in the UK in general.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Cost - meaning accommodation/traveling and players' salary? seriously England TT is 'that much' underfunding that can't afford to send a full team to compete against other nations?

I don't know, I really don't, we are all just speculating really. I think perhaps it was a last minute withdrawal (Baggaley got injured) that left them short for the WTTC and logistically they couldn't field an extra player in time.

Still, they got bronze despite having just 3 players :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
There is a player England can send. In fact, he's her majesty's finest. His name is Bond, James Bond. And he has a license to loop kill. In between sets he drinks special water that's shaken, not stirred. And he plays with bats made by some company named M. How peculiar.

Sorry for being a wiseguy. I'm a Bond fan like most everyone else and I couldn't resist.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Obviously, this question needs to be addressed to TT England if you want the real answer.
I highly doubt that they can't afford a 4th player.

For smaller countries, it is quite expensive - as the players tend to fund everything. The most expensive is:
- Airfare
- hotel/meals
- unpaid leave from work
some times, the player also needs to be the tournament entrance fees too.

Regarding possibility of pull out, as we witness in Womens WC, Visa is a problem too.
If there is not enough time, you can't just get a back up player there.
But then again, WTTTC has room for 5