Cleaning rubbers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I use demineralized water in a small spray bottle and a microfibre cloth.

I also have a 'real' rubber cleaning product, 'Tibhar VOC Free Belag Reiniger' but I can't really say that it does a better job than water.

I'm not entirely sure if demineralized water really has any added value over plain tap water, but I've read it a few times. Anyway, a bottle of 1 liter demineralized water costs less than € 0,50 and it lasts a very long time.

Reactions: Suga D
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Water is all you need really. When my rubbers start to wear I used to use 70% ethanol in water for awhile. Gets rid of oils nicely. I never tried a detergent. Might work.

These days I use a factory booster rubber (MX-P) which actually starts to go bad before the topsheet is super worn. So I just use water and a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
About three or four times a year a thread with this subject appears. And I always await Der_Echte's answer because his answer always makes me laugh. But the important information has already been given. [emoji97]

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
If you're playing with Donic Baracuda I'd have to ask about its tackiness. (Baracuda is great but a bit variable in tackiness.) If it's tackier, then the breath's condensation should suffice. The most important thing to keep in mind is the sound of the rubber while you clean it. If your palm/sponge/microfiber squeaks or rumbles then you should apply less pressure or use a softer sponge. Killerspin's pillow sponges are good. If your rubber isn't tacky then breath or water from the tap will work well but still try to keep the rubber from squeaking. That being said, Falco Life Expander is quite good for cleaning/revamping rubber so long as you only use it after every 30-40 hours of play. (otherwise it can make the topsheet a bit mushy/gummy.)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Carl talks like I would revive Jimmy Kimmle ratings !!??

One wipe across my sweaty shirt, a couple rubs with my hand, then wave bat around. VOILA you are done like a dog's dinner... and you bat could stink enough to ward off both the Goon Squad and big bad Mr Clean with him bald head.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Carl talks like I would revive Jimmy Kimmle ratings !!??

One wipe across my sweaty shirt, a couple rubs with my hand, then wave bat around. VOILA you are done like a dog's dinner... and you bat could stink enough to ward off both the Goon Squad and big bad Mr Clean with him bald head.

I've been biting my tongue for a minute, but just can't hold myself back any longer.
Though i really agree on many posts, and appreciate the shared information, but this here is just too ridiculous, although i'm not quite sure if you're being serious here.
Took a minute to think about it, but the only reasons that come to my mind why someone would mistreat his rubbers that way is either if he gets the rubbers for free or if he uses real cheapoz like 729s or 2008xp.

Why not just pour vinegar or some other even stronger acid liquid over it?
Same goes for tap water. Especially in some places in the states, where poisoneous chemicals like chlorine or fluorides are added. I'm quite sure you know this already, but in fracking areas the tap water burns literally!
Demineralized water might not do as much harm, but it also does nothing against fats, as already mentioned before.

It neither seems to be very economic nor very efficient to spend 70$ per sheet and another hundred Dollar on a blade and then be too stingy to spend 3 more bucks on some cleaner. But that might just be me. Especially since most tabletennis companies ain't no big corporations but rather family owned businesses. But that's another story.

One bottle of cleaner lasts at least a year.
My rubbers last up to 9 months by using cleaner and plastic covers. I really wonder how many can say the same.
I used to use this about 3 years ago (there's still some left inside)

IMG_20161020_231746.jpg

Last december i've ordered myself this here

IMG_20161020_231957.jpg

Then meanwhile a teammate gave me this here, 'cause he accidentally ordered two of them.

IMG_20161020_231942.jpg

But actually either one of these works and does its job.
But the ultimate stuff is this here. I only use this when my rubbers start to degrade noticeable which would be after around 5 - 6 months, so this little bottle right here will probably last the next couple of years.

1477005844633-2142627062.jpg

But maybe it's just the EJ-Bug that grabbed a hold of me tightly...

[Emoji12]

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I had real heavy use of rubbers in Korea often 5 hrs a day and I rarely used those products, I still got over 300 hrs of use outta my FH rubber and 600 outta my BH rubber. Literally wipe with sweat, dry off, and toss in bat case.

Koreans on the other hand would clean their rubbers with these products at the end of session like a religion taking care of baby butt. Their rubbers got more attention than their babies did.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've been biting my tongue for a minute, but just can't hold myself back any longer.

Suga D, you just need to have tried one of those 2-3 year old Tibhar Aurus rubbers Der used to use. The only reasonable explanation for how they played better than new after 2+ years of abuse from the original Rambo looper, is that there must be some secret ingredient or magical substance in Der's sweat. Nothing else can explain the extra grip and catapult with the added control. Rumor has it that the CNT is planning to bottle this substance as one of their new secret weapons.

[emoji2][emoji23][emoji6][emoji56]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Though i really agree on many posts, and appreciate the shared information, but this here is just too ridiculous, although i'm not quite sure if you're being serious here.
Took a minute to think about it, but the only reasons that come to my mind why someone would mistreat his rubbers that way is either if he gets the rubbers for free or if he uses real cheapoz like 729s or 2008xp.

Why not just pour vinegar or some other even stronger acid liquid over it?
Same goes for tap water. Especially in some places in the states, where poisoneous chemicals like chlorine or fluorides are added. I'm quite sure you know this already, but in fracking areas the tap water burns literally!
Demineralized water might not do as much harm, but it also does nothing against fats, as already mentioned before.

It neither seems to be very economic nor very efficient to spend 70$ per sheet and another hundred Dollar on a blade and then be too stingy to spend 3 more bucks on some cleaner. But that might just be me. Especially since most tabletennis companies ain't no big corporations but rather family owned businesses. But that's another story.

One bottle of cleaner lasts at least a year.
My rubbers last up to 9 months by using cleaner and plastic covers.
I really wonder how many can say the same.
I used to use this about 3 years ago (there's still some left inside)

If I use rubber that long, then I either don't play enough, use Chinese rubbers or my loop is a piece of trash. It's obvious I usually don't hold my tongue.

If you use rubbers for a long time and have a good loop, you just do. Rubber care doesn't justify it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
As much as Der's method gross me out, and it's also one of the reasons I don't like to use other people's blade and don't like other using mine, I actually do that myself.

During play, if I need to, I swipe the rubber on my wet shirt to get some magic liquid, wipe dry with my hand and/or left part of my shorts.

When the night's over, I wipe the rubber with water and wipe dry on the right part of my shorts. Put it in case, done.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Suga D, you just need to have tried one of those 2-3 year old Tibhar Aurus rubbers Der used to use. The only reasonable explanation for how they played better than new after 2+ years of abuse from the original Rambo looper, is that there must be some secret ingredient or magical substance in Der's sweat. Nothing else can explain the extra grip and catapult with the added control. Rumor has it that the CNT is planning to bottle this substance as one of their new secret weapons.

[emoji2][emoji23][emoji6][emoji56]

How der_echte is doing it, is a wonder to me. My tenergy 05 is 6 weeks old and I already can tell the performance dropped. Spin mark also starts to show up on it. My 2600 clubmates told me my FH loop is really spinny though so that's probably why :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
If I use rubber that long, then I either don't play enough, use Chinese rubbers or my loop is a piece of trash. It's obvious I usually don't hold my tongue.

If you use rubbers for a long time and have a good loop, you just do. Rubber care doesn't justify it.

Well, it somehow does in my book. Personally it´s none of my business if someone treats his equipment like used toilet paper and maybe i´ve been taking it too seriously, but from my personal experience
MAINTENANCE IS THE KEY TO DURABILITY AND LONGEVITY
[Emoji6]
PLUS there is a german phrase, which i´ve been taught as a little kid which would be translated as the following.
A CRAFTSMAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS TOOLS ARE
i think in english it´s called: "A bad craftsman always blames his tools", but this doesn´t really literally mean the same.
Basically you can use a spoon as well as a knife for a wood carving job, but the results and the working time might vary a little.
[Emoji6]
From a jugaado´s perspective it might be totally fine using a spoon, if you have nothing else, but if you do have something better it´s blatantly stiff necked to stick to the spoon, just ´cause you´re used to it.

But to each his own...

P.S. How trashy my loops are or are not, we´ll probably never know, since i´m not so extroverted, to post every little playing development of mine on YouTube. But maybe if i ever join your guys "NYC Adventures" you might find out one day...
[Emoji12]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Well, it somehow does in my book. Personally it´s none of my business if someone treats his equipment like used toilet paper and maybe i´ve been taking it too seriously, but from my personal experience
MAINTENANCE IS THE KEY TO DURABILITY AND LONGEVITY
[Emoji6]
PLUS there is a german phrase, which i´ve been taught as a little kid which would be translated as the following.
A CRAFTSMAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS HIS TOOLS ARE
i think in english it´s called: "A bad craftsman always blames his tools", but this doesn´t really literally mean the same.
Basically you can use a spoon as well as a knife for a wood carving job, but the results and the working time might vary a little.
[Emoji6]
From a jugaado´s perspective it might be totally fine using a spoon, if you have nothing else, but if you do have something better it´s blatantly stiff necked to stick to the spoon, just ´cause you´re used to it.

But to each his own...

P.S. How trashy my loops are or are not, we´ll probably never know, since i´m not so extroverted, to post every little playing development of mine on YouTube. But maybe if i ever join your guys "NYC Adventures" you might find out one day...
[Emoji12]

Yeah, not so extroverted, but ready to say things when it is "none of your business".

The truth is that there is often nothing that much better than water. Rubbers are not weapons of precision such that if you scratch it, the rubber becomes unplayable. If maintenance was the key, pros would not be wearing out and changing their rubbers frequently. Give it some thought.