Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello PH players, what blades do u use?

My current blade is a Butterfly Taksim

My backup is an Avalox P700

2 recent currents was an American Hinoki WRC9 and a Nexy Amazon

As a kid, my most beloved Double Happiness "08" (7 ply). There are a few more I don't recall

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
If I get comfortable enough with RPB spinning as well as block/punch/BH I will add in the TPB directional blocking and punch. I've lost track, it may be almost a year of dedicated RPB training, so my TPB will need some brushing up.

Thanks again Suds, great to be back!

Well I'd say if you're at the point to where playing every BH shot with RPB feels normal to you given you've been training that for over a year, I'd stick with that and wouldn't worry much about mixing in some TPB. Don't want to undermine the hard work you've put in.

If I was learning the game all over again I'd probably go that route. BH RPB block, attack, push, etc. But since I can't do that, the mixture of TPB & RPB works for me.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Found an old post with pictures.

1) "Excalibur" - what I named my Double Happiness '08' 7-ply blade :) ... this blade is from late 1970's or early 1980's - got it used from a friend

I had a DHS factory off-the-shelf model in which I had sanded the bottom of the handle to the way I liked it. This handle facilitated my punch (back in 1980's, this was called a 'push-block') technique. Family pet dog bit the handle one day, and I did my best to mend it. Also, the handle cracked from some smashes or loops and i lost my grip and the racket flew.

In the first pic you can see how much i sanded the wings and the 2nd pic you can see the groove on the bottom of the handle.

~2 yrs ago, after a 30+ yrs break from TT, I started using this again... late last year, I noticed some crack lines showing up and I decided to retire Excalibur.

View attachment 13150View attachment 13151

2) Avalox P700 - My former backup blade turned main blade after I retired Excalibur.

I didn't like the chunky handle ... much thicker than my preference. In the first pic you can see the wings have been sanded. I believe it's sold this way. I'm not 100% sure as my friend gave me this blade. Because of the chunkiness of the handle, I was able to sand/file/shave some of the bottom of the handle to have a little groove there. I tried both an inverted sheet as well as thin SP... way too heavy for me. This is now my backup to my backup blade.

View attachment 13153View attachment 13154

3) Nexy Amazon CPen - a gracious gift from Nexy Ambassador/Janitor/Employee Der_Echte as Nexy sent him a CPen mistakenly

I did not sand the wings down to my satisfaction, but have started. The sanded area exposes the darker wooden ply below the lighter wooden ply. I really like the combo of MX-P and the blade for my close to the table play of block/punch/smash/loop (although my looping sucks). I tried another inverted on the backside looking to update my oldschool PH game to incorporate the modern RBP style. Setup too heavy for my wrist and after 2 hours, my wrist/hand hurt. I also tried a thin SP on the backside with an eye towards a possible twiddling game. My wrist couldn't handle the weight of that setup also. Currently have a LP OX on the back but have not tried to incorporated LP tactics into my game.

View attachment 13152

4) Currently am using the prize I received from NextLevel's Christmas contest, an American Hinoki CPen with 2 Tenergy FX-80, to learn RPB.

This is shocking to me as my wrist CAN handle the weight of the 2 inverted. The AH is noticeably smaller. In the 1st pic and 2nd pic, it may not be as apparent at how much smaller the blade is compared to the other CPen blades I've used but it is evident if you held the blades in person.

1st pic - L to R = DHS 08; Avalox P700; Nexy Amazon; AH

2nd pic - AH laid on top of the Nexy

I am not crazy about the thickness of the cork handle of the AH. It's slightly bigger than the chunky handle of the Avalox. I have not decided if i want to make a groove in the bottom of the handle yet.

View attachment 13155View attachment 13156View attachment 13157

5) My advice is to be gradual when you started sanding the wings

I used a file to start. Once it's partly sanded down, I play with it and find if it's comfortable or not. If it needs to be filed down more, I will file again. If it's almost right, I will use sandpaper to smooth it out. But it's a gradual process to find my comfort level.

If you sanded/filed too much of the wings, you can get 'plastic wood' and add some back as you can see from my DHS 08. But I find it easier to sand it down slowly vs adding plastic wood back to rebuild.

Hope this helps you in sanding the wings down on your blade!

Hope pix show up, if not it's page 18 post #354 of this thread

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/showthread.php?14157-Just-curious-how-many-Penholders-are-on-TTD&p=191209&viewfull=1#post191209

I have to take pix of my current Taksim

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
oh wow thanks , sry for the trouble. really nice to know more penholder blades since they dont get as much advertisement other than yeo and hhao

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Well I'd say if you're at the point to where playing every BH shot with RPB feels normal to you given you've been training that for over a year, I'd stick with that and wouldn't worry much about mixing in some TPB. Don't want to undermine the hard work you've put in.

If I was learning the game all over again I'd probably go that route. BH RPB block, attack, push, etc. But since I can't do that, the mixture of TPB & RPB works for me.

Yes and no. With TPB, i have very little chance the ball will hit my fingers. With RPB, no matter how much I work with it, there's a greater chance than my TPB that the ball will hit my fingers. I used to extend my fingers and maybe 35% of the time the ball hits. I've started getting used to curled fingers grip and find maybe 25% the ball still hits.

I suspect if i keep at RPB, the chances will lower, however, I feel i get better angling/directional blocking with TPB which was a big part of my TPB game and the TPB punch down the line is almost automatic. With RPB, it may take me a few years to get to that level of touch in my TPB directional blocking and punching. With that said, I've not TPB in a year if not more and I may have lost some of it, so perhaps you are right in that I should just stick to RPB

Will try a few TPB tonight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I am like you. I switched from SH to PH because I watched RSM's game in 2004 Olympic. His give-it-all risky FH shots remind me a lot of how I used to play when I was 10. So I picked PH, a symbol of challenge, risk and energy.

I have been using RPB exclusively for 4 years. But I still subconsciously step aside and launch FH power loop. My RPB usage stays low after years of practice.

I occasionally use my Darker Speed 90 with only one rubber on the FH side. It's faster and has better feel than ZJK ALC with the same rubber. I still love my Darker Jpen the most. I enjoy that limit on BH which pushes me to do significantly more FH power loop. My game is more exciting and runs at a faster pace with my Jpen than with Cpen.

To me Cpen with RPB provides stability and wider coverage. Jpen truly highlights the prime level of penhold - risky passionate give-it-all attack.

Read your post and my heart started to race... the adrenaline started to flow and i could feel my testosterone surging LOL I don't have a JPen, but I'm tempted to get one after reading your post LOL at me!

Realistically though, I'm older and slower, need to lose some more weight (lost 30 lbs in 3 years) ... my footwork is bad and my FH loop is inconsistent during matchplay. I believe I will have my smashes though. But I am really tempted by your post to try JPen!!

Thank you SFF_lib!!

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
It has been a few months since my last post here I think
I hurt my wrist and had to take a break of about 2 months.
Since my return to the game, I have been trainning only once a week, so I haven't made much progress on TPB.
One my daily routine gets stable, I will try to train more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Since my return to the game, I have been trainning only once a week, so I haven't made much progress on TPB.

The most important factor is that your wrist is healed properly and fully. Don't rush back to TT unless its 100%. In the long run, if you don't let it heal completely before you return to TT, your wrist will come back to bite you in the butt.

Speedy and healthy recovery Sir!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I tried some TPB tonight... strangely all my shots went high!!

Maybe I should follow suds' advice and just play RPB 100% of the time with no TPB

Yeah. I only play TPB because when it comes to blocking, I'm so much more consistent with TPB blocking. RPB i can't block back more than 2 or 3 hits. I only use it for flipping service return and/or attacking any high BH balls, etc. I'm in the unenviable situation of trying to get good at both techniques vs mastering one.

But yeah I if I was learning the game all over again, I would completely go the route of RPB full time.

You've spent over a year yourself practicing that way from what you've said. No sense to take a step backwards now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I tried some TPB tonight... strangely all my shots went high!!

Maybe I should follow suds' advice and just play RPB 100% of the time with no TPB

I would focus entirely on RPB and not try to straddle the fence. I am sure you will be able to do it all with RPB once you have the technique down pat. Personally I love my TPB blocking game and I really enjoy it. I also love my TPB attacks so I still feel no desire or need to go for RPB. I guess if I was just starting out I would go for RPB, but right now, my game is built around my blocking game. I am extremely consistent with it and I use it to create attacking openings. I don't want to give that up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018

Really sorry to hear about your injury man. I hope you recover fast and are able to get back to playing full-time like before. I injured my wrist too, but it is my left wrist - still recovering - and so it did not effect my play. Also injured the tall-man of my playing hand, and it is still very painful, but since it has the support of my index finger and my ring finger on the back of the blade I am able to play with no discomfort, for which I am very thankful. Hope you get well soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Personally I love my TPB blocking game and I really enjoy it. I also love my TPB attacks so I still feel no desire or need to go for RPB. I guess if I was just starting out I would go for RPB, but my game is built around my blocking game. I am extremely consistent with it and I use it to create attacking openings. I don't want to give that up.

Prior to my switch to RPB, my TPB directional block and punch were a big part of my game!
So imagine my surprise when I am doing the correct stroke. somehow the ball pops up high!

This user has no status.
Hey guys, I'm really curious... We all are penholders here and, from what I can see, many of us play in parts of the world where shakehand grip is ultra-widespread, and penhold grip is almost non-existent.

I'm wondering how you managed to learn penhold in the first place, and how you keep improving your game and your technique when there's likely not many penholder players (and therefore not many PH coaches) around. How do you discover flaws in your technique, how do you correct them?

On French TT forums we tend to share videos and opininons from time to time (like we do here), and I try to look for videos on youtube but of course, most of them are in mandarin or korean or japanese and most of the time with no subs... so that's not such an easy task.

So I'm curious if you have any tips or resources worth sharing or anything that could help the PH community ;-)

This user has no status.
Another penholder here :)

Currently have a Yasaka Sweden Extra Penhold, and probably will get another one if this one gets damaged

I'm wondering how you managed to learn penhold in the first place, and how you keep improving your game and your technique when there's likely not many penholder players (and therefore not many PH coaches) around. How do you discover flaws in your technique, how do you correct them?

I have a shakehand coach who can still give really good advice and point out errors in my technique despite us using different grips. A lot of the techniques are transferable between different grip types, so I think most of the resources where the coaches use shakehand can still be used for penholders

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Great question PierreAd!

Hey guys, I'm really curious... We all are penholders here and, from what I can see, many of us play in parts of the world where shakehand grip is ultra-widespread, and penhold grip is almost non-existent.

My father played with his friends as I watched when I was a kid. He as well as his friends played PH.

In Middle School and High School (~age 11+, grades 6-12, before College/University), I played with classmates/friends as there was a table in our school's gym. During middle school, one of my friends said there is a Dept of Park Recreation Center near where we live where it's free to play. So Fridays after school, we went and played. I had an illegal sidespin serve, where I threw the ball into my racket as I did a BH serve TPB style. I usually won off my aces back in the 21/5 era. If partner returned the serve, usually it's popped up high and I smash usually for a winner.

Sometime in high school, my dad told me of a club in Chinatown and that a member of the China Team was there and that he may be able to get that China Team member to teach me a little. That club in Chinatown ~1978 or 1979 to 1985 or so, was one of the go-to clubs in NYC during the 1980's. Members affectionately called it 'The Firehouse' as the club was in an old NYC firehouse which had 3 bays that could fit 3 firetrucks. 6 tables with ample room for chairs on the side inside the table area sectioned off by metal bars drilled into ground and cloth was put on as barriers.

Alex Tam was that former China Team member. IIRC, he was #14 in the world and didn't get much play time, so he literally swam from China to Hong Kong. Then he somehow made his way to the USA where he was ~2500 level. He was a TPB short pips 2 winged attacker.

Alex showed/taught me some basics of PH short pips play back when there was no RPB and all PH played with 1 sheet of rubber and bare wood on the back. This was before the days of the 2 color rule and no wood allowed to hit the ball. So on some shots, i would use the wood to return the ball and sometimes it floated back funny. Then sometimes 1982-1985, rules changed to the 2 color rule. I recall Cai Zhenhua dominating with his SH style of Anti on backhand side and tacky rubber on FH and he flipped under the table and his opponents didn't know what to expect. Some said the rules change was to prevent Cai's style. Guo Yuehua, one of the PH gods, was the world champ back then.

Anyway, Alex didn't really "coach me" coach me, just hit with me a few times, and had me hit with one of his top students, Richard Ling. Oldschool TT players in the NYC area during the 1980's and 1990's should know of Ling as he coached many players as well as forum member/mod Carl! Richard was awesome, sometimes Tam would watch on the side. Richard and I didn't really drill basics as much, but he taught me a lot about the game. I was also coached a little by Doon Wong (~1800) and his daughter Vicky Wong (~1900-2000). Both Doon and Vicky really helped me (and my friends). I have old man memory, but back in 21/5 era, IIRC Vicky would spot me 9 or 10 points. As I got better, the handicap went down to 5. Vicky also did multiball with me many a time. Her coach was Rey Domingo, a 2400 SH. She asked Rey to hit with me from time to time and he was a steady lobber. I credit him the most with my FH smashes.

There were many PH in The Firehouse, probably 2nd best after Alex Tam was Steven Mok. Slowly saw he improve from 1900 to ~2400! Steven started off short pips and changed to inverted and was a great looper. Watching Steven play Alex or play Rey was the best! Too bad video camers and VCR's were so expensive back then. No smartphones to record the matches. Boy, technology improved so much! Anyway, back to the PH in The Firehouse, Fu Lap Lee was probably 3rd best PH. He was an inverted player and was a great looper too, about 2000-2200, maybe 2300? Richard Ling played SH with me, but Alex started him off PH. Richard was easily 2000 and at least 2200.

Although I had 'informal formal training', it was not as good as 'formal formal training', if you know what i mean. Back then, i probably at best was 1600, but didn't play that many tournaments and peaked at 1350 or so. The Firehouse had Friday Night League and that is probably where I got a lot of experience from outside of practicing with my friends. We were all young and played games mostly for bragging rights instead of practicing hard.

Took a 32 yrs break, and I didn't remember about that dept of parks recreation center i played in as a kid. Somehow a friend mentioned it and I checked it out and it still had table tennis! So i joined, been playing about 4 yrs since my 32 yrs break with 3 of it at that rec center. That rec center has many Chinese seniors as senior membership is only $25/year! And many of the seniors play PH, but they didn't really practice, they just played games and got to a certain level.

I have a general idea what is proper technique, but the lack of serious practice has kept me at a certain level. And to make things challenging, this year I seriously tried to learn RPB mostly on my own and give up on TPB for this year. It took me some time to get used to the weight of 2 rubbers first. Then learning RPB block, then punch and flat hit. Have some idea of RPB spinning but haven't seriously added that to my repertoire yet. Trying to get the timing on the block and punch. Because of my concentration on RPB, I seem to choke on my FH loop during gameplay. During practice I seem to be ok.

To improve, I post videos to this forum and my friend 42andbackpains has been a great help as well as he received real/official coaching private lessons and has pinpointed some of my flaws. As a matter of fact, I got together with him last night and we hit/played about 2 hours. Will post video of the match, however, I am rusty after having not played 3 weeks. I'm the type that if I don't play in 3 days or so, I lose a lot of my timing/touch/game. 42andbackpains though, with hurt back didn't play in 6 months.

I generally know my flaws and using visualization and self-talk as well as practice, I do my best to correct them. But as a kid, not having formal training hurt my game. I just keep at it to try to improve.

On French TT forums we tend to share videos and opininons from time to time (like we do here), and I try to look for videos on youtube but of course, most of them are in mandarin or korean or japanese and most of the time with no subs... so that's not such an easy task.

So I'm curious if you have any tips or resources worth sharing or anything that could help the PH community ;-)

I don't watch that many videos believe it or not. I refer to Wang Hao's video and watch and rewatch that from time to time. I generally focus on playing/hitting more than watching videos. Will leave it to others to post resources.

My general tip is to relax. Easy for me to say, and hard for me to do at times.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello:

Forum member and friend 42andbackpains didn't play for 6 months due to his back. I didn't play in 3 weeks, spent 2 weeks in Hong Kong and 1 week recovering from jet lag. I'm the type that if i don't play in 3 days, I lose my timing/touch/game.

We both played like 1200 players. As 42andbackpains said to me, "We all gotta start somewhere." Many points didn't last more than 3 balls!! Have the raw video and timestamps for selected highlights. No need to watch the whole video as I am not lying, really bad play from the both of us. JeffM and ttmonster, 9 points please!

Although there were moments of the old 42andbackpains - his FH and BH loops were spinny. At my regular club, I generally don't face a player of his level. Was totally outclassed by his speed/spin WHEN he made the shots. He "muscled"/"overpowered" many of his shots. IIRC, NextLevel once described 42andbackpains' loops as trying to loop like he was 2300. Prior to meeting that night, I had a long day and was wiped out already as evidenced from my lack of footwork ... [Begin Takkyu voice] Move your feet! [/voice] :)

I'm in black and the taller handsome young man in blue is 42andbackpains. Man, my bald spot is getting bigger :( I didn't pull the ball out of my butt, I clamped it between my legs LOL

I used Taksim with Donic Bluefire and Xiom Vega Pro, the racket I've been using almost a year. Played games 1, 4 and 5 with it IIRC. Have not really tried out my backup racket, Avalox 7 ply with Big Dipper and Xiom Vega Pro until that night. Showed my rackets at 12:32-12:53. I have been usually various grips to facilitate the RPB and it messes up my serves and pushing game.

1st game: 0:00 - 5:16
2nd: 6:00-8:43
3rd: 8:47-12:01
4th: 13:06 - 18:27
5th: 19:08 - 24:15

For me: 8, -1, -2, 9, -5

--------

Probably the highlight of the match, it was ugly but it went 7 balls!

22:16 - 22:24

42andbackpains' BH loops:

2:27 - 2:31
4:01 - 4:05
9:37 - 9:42
10:24 - 10:28
15:03 - 15:07 - I was there ready to RPB block/punch, but underestimated his speed/spin!

42andbackpains' corkscrew serve:

22:53 - 22:56

42andbackpains consistently returns my FH pendulum this way and caught me flatfooted many a time:

7:00 - 7:06
21:08 - 21:14

Ugly lunging off balance, I FH smash:

15:16 - 15:18

I RPB flat hit the 2nd ball but mistimed the 4th ball:

3:49 - 3:53

I strawberry (?):

9:03 - 9:07

I RPB block/punch but got smoked by the next ball:

13:27 - 13:24
13:29 - 13:36
17:28 - 17:34

I generally rush my shots, but I waited for this ball and missed the RPB loop - i really should wear glasses when I play:

19:55 - 20:00

Lately in my gameplay, I either miss or choke on my FH loop - this was ugly, but I made it LOL:

21:28 - 21:32

Tribute to Der_Echte:

3:31 - 3:42
9:59 - 10:14

Tribute to suds:

18:55 - 19:02 - fiddling my racket

I am accepting 9 points from any forum member as witness my pathetic 1200 level gameplay! :)

Reactions: 42andbackpains
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hello:

Forum member and friend 42andbackpains didn't play for 6 months due to his back. I didn't play in 3 weeks, spent 2 weeks in Hong Kong and 1 week recovering from jet lag. I'm the type that if i don't play in 3 days, I lose my timing/touch/game.

Ok, this!!! I mean why does this happen? I am the exact same way. This bugs me and I will explain why. I know a lot of players that I am much better than, and they don't lose their touch/timing nearly as fast as I do, if at all. Once I get back into the game I rapidly overtake them and become much better...again. But if they have had a gap, and I have had a gap in practice, then I struggle a bit against them as I try to regain my timing while their touch and timing is just fine.

I have never been able to figure out why this happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ok, this!!! I mean why does this happen? I am the exact same way. This bugs me and I will explain why. I know a lot of players that I am much better than, and they don't lose their touch/timing nearly as fast as I do, if at all. Once I get back into the game I rapidly overtake them and become much better...again. But if they have had a gap, and I have had a gap in practice, then I struggle a bit against them as I try to regain my timing while their touch and timing is just fine.

I have never been able to figure out why this happens.

I also don't understand these things.
I have been playing just once a week on the last few months, as oposed to 2 or 3x a week I used to play.
On the first weeks it seemed that I would not make any progress anymore because 6 days without practice seemed an eternity. But curiously, on the last couple weeks, I feel that I'm improving a bit. My timing and touch didn't get worse, and I think I'm playing a bit better now. I feel my progress was not refrained as much as I was afraid of. I don't know why too...I believe that since I can train just once a week, I give much por importance and much more attention now to the trainning than before, which somehow partially compensates my low training frequency.