Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019

I had traded my friend for his new unused backup YEO to keep as a spare in case I needed to use it should anything happen to my primary and backup blades. After a month or so, I still didn't use it. He wanted to trade for it back, and I got a Stiga Offensive CR WRB Chinese Penhold instead. . I have not used the YEO extensively outside of a few times hitting with his YEO. But he loves it although I think partly because he loves Ma Lin and that was Ma Lin's blade.

how did your stiga blade work out for you?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

how did your stiga blade work out for you?

Pre-lockdown, I was using it for about 3 months and getting used to it as it is wood, after having used the Taksim carbon blade for 2 yrs if not more.

But then after lockdown eased up and I went back to playing, I had a tough time getting used to it. Went back to the Taksim. At some point, will go back to it and will post my thoughts. I am a slow learner, need to really use a blade/rubber for a year or so before I 'get' it. LOL at me.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I had traded my friend for his new unused backup YEO to keep as a spare in case I needed to use it should anything happen to my primary and backup blades. After a month or so, I still didn't use it. He wanted to trade for it back, and I got a Stiga Offensive CR WRB Chinese Penhold instead. . I have not used the YEO extensively outside of a few times hitting with his YEO. But he loves it although I think partly because he loves Ma Lin and that was Ma Lin's blade.

YEO is a good value for money. The hard top ply is still sufficiently fast for the ABS ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hello:

Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD? I know of a few already (JeffM, Liten, suds79) , not sure if site has a create thread/poll option... didn't think i see it.

Are you a modern penholder? Are you a JPen player? Is there a RPB for JPen?

Or are you like me an oldschool one-sided CPen penholder?

Me: I am currently using MX-P on my FH, will add a LP Ox to my BH soon, more for weight and protect the racket than actually using the LP in play. My whole game is one-sided oldschool PH (FH smashes, sucky FH loops, FH blocks, BH blocks, no BH smashes and use a BH punch (aka 'push-block'). At some point, may try to use the LP and/or add short pips - but my concern is that the added short pips is too heavy for my liking.

Also, seems like PH is dying out on the world-class level. Recent Ask the Pro video, Wong Chun Ting said PH is dying out. SO wanted to check out on the non-world-class level how many PH are on here :)

Thank you in advance.

Next :)

I've always seen this post but I've never answered

Modern C-Penhold player. I try to have the same idea of 3rd ball attacks and short game as Ma Lin, but also have learned the bh flip to be more offensive. I used to be a traditional penhold player with pips until I realized I was trying to spin the ball more than trying to hit/smash.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I played with Jiang Jialiang style. Sometimes I use RPB for return the services.

Liu Guo Liang played short pips on the FH like JJL and invented the RPB style (or first World Champ to use the RPB). Speaking about JJL, he visited my club in NYC ~1987 when he was World Champion. Awesome to see him and the China Team in action in person! Only recall the Woman's World Champ or former World Champ was also there, Cao Yan Hua, iirc her name. Great times!

--------------

They changed the schedule yet again sat my club going from 4 nights a week to no evening sessions to now Monday nights only 6:30-8:30pm. Have been going the past couple of weeks.

Found out this past Monday though, in July, they will close down for renovation. Some older post on this thread pre-pandemic, I mentioned they intended to close for renovation. Finally the time is approaching. Not sure if i will continue with TT at another pricier club as my current is only $100/year generally and last year, there was a promotional deal for free membership which I was able to register for. I can go to another dept of parks facility that has TT but it will be a trip and a half for me and time-wise not worth it to go compared to my current dept of parks recreation center which is ~25 mins walking distance.

*SIGH*

• Sad
Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Liu Guo Liang played short pips on the FH like JJL and invented the RPB style (or first World Champ to use the RPB). Speaking about JJL, he visited my club in NYC ~1987 when he was World Champion. Awesome to see him and the China Team in action in person! Only recall the Woman's World Champ or former World Champ was also there, Cao Yan Hua, iirc her name. Great times!

--------------

They changed the schedule yet again sat my club going from 4 nights a week to no evening sessions to now Monday nights only 6:30-8:30pm. Have been going the past couple of weeks.

Found out this past Monday though, in July, they will close down for renovation. Some older post on this thread pre-pandemic, I mentioned they intended to close for renovation. Finally the time is approaching. Not sure if i will continue with TT at another pricier club as my current is only $100/year generally and last year, there was a promotional deal for free membership which I was able to register for. I can go to another dept of parks facility that has TT but it will be a trip and a half for me and time-wise not worth it to go compared to my current dept of parks recreation center which is ~25 mins walking distance.

*SIGH*

JJL has learned RPB in his old age:)

https://youtu.be/oXIVal0me-c

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
What grip are you using for push and receive game with penhold? Especially to the BH side are you staying in the RPB grip (if you play RPB) or do you turn to the traditional backhand grip with the thumb turned on the side of the handle?

I sometimes have trouble finding the right blade angle.

This user has no status.
What grip are you using for push and receive game with penhold? Especially to the BH side are you staying in the RPB grip (if you play RPB) or do you turn to the traditional backhand grip with the thumb turned on the side of the handle?I sometimes have trouble finding the right blade angle.

My experience with RPH is outdated 20 years, so my words may be totally useless rubbish.

When I was self-learning RPH in 1999, there were two ways to go: Ma Lin style and Wang Hao style. I was in Ma Lin style, that is using forehand side for all push and defense, using RPH for top spin attacks only.

Ma Lin style is more like TPH than Wang Hao style, so the thumb is not so deep into the blade like Wang Hao style. When turning racket for push, the handle will be in the middle of thumb for TPH, at the foot of thumb for Ma Lin style, and almost impossible to turn for Wang Hao style.

When I was turning racket for push, my racket couldn't be horizontal like TPH, so the head of racket is pointing at top-left.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
What I find interesting is that the young french penhold player lebrun uses the red side for his BH push while most PH players tend to do a TBP push with the black side (of course only if they use forehand black and backhand red, otherwise it is vice versa)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
What I find interesting is that the young french penhold player lebrun uses the red side for his BH push while most PH players tend to do a TBP push with the black side (of course only if they use forehand black and backhand red, otherwise it is vice versa)

He's adapted to the newer generation of play. Penhold with more rpb- more shakehand style per se.

I do find it interesting that he prefers his backhand more.

Aug 2019
after a brief stinct with CPEN i finally switched back to JPEN

feels good to be back with cannon forehands!!! i need not be bogged down by my abysmal RPB ive been trying to improve for weeks and changing my grip 24/7 from discomfort

on the other hand, it doesnt feel great that my clubmates are once again trying their hardest to convince me to switch back to CPEN due to JPEN's backhand weakness

i dont care about an easier life with a decent backhand or winning, i only live for the dopamine i get from powerlooping the ball without a care if it lands or not

they just dont understand JPEN 😢

• Love
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
after a brief stinct with CPEN i finally switched back to JPEN

feels good to be back with cannon forehands!!! i need not be bogged down by my abysmal RPB ive been trying to improve for weeks and changing my grip 24/7 from discomfort

on the other hand, it doesnt feel great that my clubmates are once again trying their hardest to convince me to switch back to CPEN due to JPEN's backhand weakness

i dont care about an easier life with a decent backhand or winning, i only live for the dopamine i get from powerlooping the ball without a care if it lands or not

they just dont understand JPEN 😢
I have known more Jpen rpb users than actual transitional users. They are all highly rated.

also along with grip, unless you have fingers super curled up- even then you’re only sacrifice for rpb would be stability. But it is certainly still playable

Aug 2019
I have known more Jpen rpb users than actual transitional users. They are all highly rated.

also along with grip, unless you have fingers super curled up- even then you’re only sacrifice for rpb would be stability. But it is certainly still playable

i tried JPEN RPB before, its pretty nice (i used my friend's blade) but i dont think i am as willing as my friend is to mutilate a one-ply hinoki to fit another rubber at the back with the price of hinoki and what not

regarding the CPEN grip i guess the reality i must accept is that theres always going to be a compromise. ass backhand for a bullet forehand and vice versa