Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OSP,

Among the few J Penned a left. Like 1 percent use a reverse rubber and it is OX l.p..

Among the C Pen players, there are maybe 20 percent using OX l.p. on by and of the remaining inverted, only a few, like maybe 20 percent use rob. Many of the rob users use the rob only for counterhitting real hard, not opening.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Match between two japanese jpenholders:

Tsubasa Moria vs XIA.
I don't have background of them, but I believe both are high level amateurs, at least XIA. I know that Tsubasa played a little on Czech, but I have no idea if it was only for training or if it was a professional league.

Anyways, enjoy the match. Quite rare to see a match between two jpen. Very enjoyable to me.

I agree! Extremely enjoyable. The guy Shimokawa plays quite a bit like me, similar mistakes too lol. Don't know his level but I am pretty sure I could try him. :cool:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I agree! Extremely enjoyable. The guy Shimokawa plays quite a bit like me, similar mistakes too lol. Don't know his level but I am pretty sure I could try him. :cool:

Oh, only now I realized that I didn't tell who is who hahaha
The tallest one (Shimokawa) is XIA, the left handed is Tsubasa Moria.

Wow Ranger, you are a very good player then!
My dream is to reach a similar level one day, but I'm quite sure it won't happen hahaha (but I will keep trying of course!)

I've watched some matches of the two players. I like both styles. I think XIA is more direct and more agressive on both wings, while I feel that Tsubasa has more variety on his game. Tsubasa's BH is quite suprising, he can do almost everything with it. His touch shots are really good too.
My aim is to be as agressive as XIA and have the same arsenal as Tsubasa haha

Some nice shots (time indicates when point started):

1:18 nice FH flip
2:35 TBP chiquita
3:32 strong BH attack
3:39 surprise receive, similar from the video of Cazuo Matsumoto
4:38 down the line FH flip
5:35 nice BH kill
6:41 super FH kill

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSP,

Among the few J Penned a left. Like 1 percent use a reverse rubber and it is OX l.p..

Among the C Pen players, there are maybe 20 percent using OX l.p. on by and of the remaining inverted, only a few, like maybe 20 percent use rob. Many of the rob users use the rob only for counterhitting real hard, not opening.

WOW!

Wonder if it's nationalistic pride or what? Wang Hao is the model/imprint for RPB.

Or perhaps there are no coaches that know and/or can coach RPB?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last night I went to my new club and hit with my friend who is a coach there. Due to conflicting schedules, i've not hit with him in 3 or 4 weeks.

Overall he says I have a decent foundation but generally:

1. My timing is off in that I hit the ball a microsecond too early. I should wait.
2. I should meet the ball earlier.
3. I focus on my stroke when I should focus on the ball. My strokes are decent as I'm not a total beginner.
4. I sometimes don't follow-through properly.

I think part of my challenge is that although I had gotten some coaching when younger, it may not have been consistent coaching back then. That and I don't remember a lot after coming back to TT after a 32 yrs break.

We hit for ~20 mins 1 set of multiballs FH-FH. Still have some minor tweaking to do on my part and with my friend's eye/help, i have been made aware of what I need to do.

We then hit for ~20 mins on a set of multiballs BH-RPB. At first I was trying to RPB punch. Past few times he suggested on working the punch to try to get the timing down for BH. Last night, despite thinking I have a little feel for the punch, it was still off and not proper. He then suggested instead of wasting time on practicing the RPB punch, I should work on RPB flat hit as I am decent with it. In time he thinks i can adjust and 'get' the punch.

Good practice last night. Hope I remember the lessons/tweaks I need to work on LOL

EDIT:

I was getting the solid hits and you can hear the 'pock pock' sound as the ball hits the blade/rubber. I think I'm too used to mostly a blocker's mentality and trying to help my friends out and my stroke is not as proper when I want them to improve their strokes/game. Good practice last night in that I was able to hit the ball solidly.

Last edited:
Reactions: mky and Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
OSP, some Koreans like what WH did, but there are nearly every coach discouraging any penhold.

so sad :(

---------------

looked for RPB chiquita and this was the first vid i found:

EDIT: a video of probably a Korean gentleman playing with a CPen and doing RPO. not sure if this was from Korea or not.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016

Tsubasa Moria vs XIA.
I don't have background of them, but I believe both are high level amateurs, at least XIA. I know that Tsubasa played a little on Czech, but I have no idea if it was only for training or if it was a professional league.

Anyways, enjoy the match. Quite rare to see a match between two jpen. Very enjoyable to me.
I would love to add their TBP to my game...I return almost 80 % with RBP...need to add another dimension

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews

Tsubasa Moria vs XIA.

I would need an extra 5 meters more of space behind me in order to use my tpb effectively. For some reason my tpb lobbing is way more consistent than my blocking. IMO tpb blocking is very easy to exploit in today's game especially with the slower ball. My solution to this is putting an LP OX on my RPB side to variate my blocks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Last Thursday, I intended to wear my glasses as I played. I hit a few shots and it was disorienting. Took it off and didn't play with them on for the rest of the night.

Played 3 lefty SH in 4 matches. Lost all 4. First partner I should beat if i played my regular game, but forcing myself to use almost all RPB and not TPB and my partner knows I've been concentrating on RPB so he hits mostly to my BH. Once in awhile he mixes it up and hits to my FH and I've lost all confidence in my FH loop. Some jedi mind trick i did to myself :( Lost 3 straight.

Next, played someone I never played before and thought he may be 2 or more levels above me. Ends up he's either 1 level above or my level. He is beatable and as he is a lefty, i reverse He Zhi Wen him with my FH pendulum serves very effectively. Lost 3-1, my win was very convincing at 11-4. But back to my glasses, i played on a table that is by the door where the walls are painted white. Also as there were a lot of members present, an extra table was put next to ours and on one side is a column and a double disadvantage to serve on the side where if i pivot i would hit the chairs and column, as well as it facing the white wall. Regardless, next time if i play him i know what to do.

3rd partner is my old friend Mark ... we have good chats and good fun playing. First match, he beat me 3-1. He played someone else after and beat him. Then I replayed him and lost 3-0. I should've went home but as he comes 1x a month or so, I waited for a chance at a rematch and got it.

Overall, RPB coming along, i'm 50/50 on my RPB loops and happy my RPB punch/block is coming along. My RPB flat hit is my best shot at 75% success.

plan for tonight

1. Tonight no matter what, I'll wear my glasses.
2. Don't rush and take my time on my shots.
3. RPB!!!!!!!
4. Serve shorter and mix in no spin serves.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think you shouldn't make 4 matches with the same guy in the same session. 2 is the MAX.
you cannot keep both all the necessary influx and motivation to make it useful.

You'd better either do some drills or some theme-based match to improve (limit the type of serves or returns, forbid pushes, bonus points or penalty points in some cases, or some more complicated pattern, do a series of sets starting at 8-8...)

Plan: looks like a good plan. I'd add 5. keep on moving all the time

Forgive my poor wording Sir. I played 3 different opponent and against one of them i played 2x only. I have been drilling 6 months-1 yr with very little matchplay. Only about 2 or 3 months ago did i start playing matches again.

I generally drill on Weds nights with my friend who is a coach. Tues and/or Thurs I've been playing matches.

I also have been eating less and been intermittent fasting. Trying to find the right balance of what and how much to eat without eating too much. Sometimes my losses are due to lack of energy from eating less.

Last night waited a long time on a table and was beaten 3-1. However, I wore my glasses (it didn't help lol), tried to play steady and just return the ball and the rallies have been getting to 5 to 7 balls now instead of 2-4 only. So playing steady to return the ball instead of trying to win the point outright with speed and/or power has helped in extending the rally/point. Despite the loss, I felt good about it.

Waited on another table for a bit to play my arch-nemesis. He beat me 3-0, is very steady and lobs with sidespin and intermittently attacks. Instead of muscling my shots and trying to win point immediatedly, i just returned to ball doing my best to place it where he is not. Again the rallies went longer and I didn't lose it on the 3rd or 4th ball. Only one point i knew for sure (maybe it was the glasses?) that the lob coming at me had no sidespin and i was able to HULK SMASH THE BALL INTO THE NEGATIVE ZONE! (sorry for comics geeking out :)

Lastly played my friend who has always been advising me to just return the ball ... make sure i don't lose the point because i didn't return the ball. if partner kills my return, at least i did my part to return the ball. I also was able to extend the points vs him. Also only 1 forced lob from him and i couldn't resist and HULK SMASHED a winner.

Overall, losing most of my points on missed RPB loops. Had 2 good smashes, many good steady RPB flat hit returns. I may have to push a return instead of forcing a RPB loop on 2nd ball. Regardless of the losses, trying to install into muscle memory RPB. Iresorted to 4 TPB shots ... still trying to get it out of my system for now. Had 1 FH loop and a few RPB loops.

Again, despite the losses, which i wasn't really trying to win, was just playing and we happened to be keeping score, i was happy overall that i extended the points and rallying deeper... RPB was tested as well as FH when i flat hit/stroke the balls from both sides during the rally.

Added no spin serves too. Didn't seem to work as well on the 3 opponents last night.

Off to hit at my new club where my friend the coach is.

GN PH brothers/sisters!

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
last night i went to my new club. wasn't able to hit with my friend who is a coach there. he did watch me hit from time-to-time and gave me advice.

my friend 'mommy' fed me 2 boxes of multiballs. i alternated between RPB flat hit and RPB loop drive. still inconsistent with the loop, but on the ones i made it felt good. mommy was able to block back a few and i was able to RPB loop the 4th ball or RPB block/punch. wish i have video of this session.

kind of tired after that, but i hit with a friend that i've not hit with in some time. probably last time was at least 3 months ago. back then i served rockets to her and TPB punched down the line efffectively. we practiced serve and volley and i tried my RPB on 2nd balls and again with varying success. was about 50% on my RPB punch down the line after a rocket serve. started pushing/floating more afterwards. some to the center and some side-to-side.

past 3 months or so i've been actively trying to play RPB and have started playing matches again instead of only practicing. i have tried Wang Hao's punch/hook serves along the way to varying success. last night, standing on the right side of the table, i was able to serve super short to the left side of the table using Wang Hao's punch/hook serve! hmmm.... will have to try this in my matchplay at my regular club.

i was tired and it was getting late but she was tired also and asked a kid to hit with me. i've seen him take lessons before and estimated he should be 2 or more levels above me. i was tired, but thought we just hit for a few minutes and i would thank him for his time and leave. after 1 min, he asked for a match and surprised me. i wasn't expecting a match but i played anyway.

he smoked many a FH loop past me! wasn't used to his serves. lost 3-0 mostly at 6-8 pts. however, that is misleading, he missed many shots giving me points. i was looking to get my RPB in play and override my TPB instincts as well as looking to be steady and return the ball safely instead of going for the attack/finish immediately. overall i had no game. he is better than me given his regular lessons and frequent play. only had one good RPB punch down the line, 1 FH smash and 1 corkscrew serve. good experience for me.

wow! Nice to see you progress on your RPB OSP! I was also in that stage a few months ago, but now I am just trying to improve the consistency of my RPB's. Mine are pretty fast and deadly but they only have an around 70% rate of hitting the table. I'm currently trying to improve my RPB consistency. Hope to one day have a 95% rate of hitting the table!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
wow! Nice to see you progress on your RPB OSP! I was also in that stage a few months ago, but now I am just trying to improve the consistency of my RPB's. Mine are pretty fast and deadly but they only have an around 70% rate of hitting the table. I'm currently trying to improve my RPB consistency.

Thank you Hurricane_boss!

If you asked me 2 or 3 years ago if i would even try RPB, the answer would be probably won't but if i do it will way down the line in the future. Didn't expect to get into RPB about a year ago. All thanks to member NextLevel's American Hinoki CPen racket where i was able to use it to help self-learn SH BH which in turn helped my RPB.

Hope to one day have a 95% rate of hitting the table!

You and me both! I'll settle for 80% LOL

Reactions: Hurricane_boss
You and me both! I'll settle for 80% LOL

Actually I change my mind now, I think you (or anyone, for this matter) should always try to aim for a goal as high possible, it is always better to improve rather than just settling with a result which could be better.

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I have been using osp virtuoso with neo skyline 3 and 2008 super power for 1.5 year and wanted to try a harder blade, since all the famous penhold blades have a hard top layer. I tired the H301 with similar rubbers and immediately noticed that it was much harder. The trajectory was flatter and went over the net easier while doing forehand loops. I think the shots had slightly less spin and more power. On the backhand was a completely different story, it went into the net more than usual. I think it was due to the fact that my backhand is weaker. The person blocking for me said the shots from virtuoso had more spin. Maybe I am not good enough yet to be using a hard blade so I switched back. Do you guys prefer a hard or soft blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I would need an extra 5 meters more of space behind me in order to use my tpb effectively. For some reason my tpb lobbing is way more consistent than my blocking. IMO tpb blocking is very easy to exploit in today's game especially with the slower ball. My solution to this is putting an LP OX on my RPB side to variate my blocks.

That's what I do. Mostly TPB. Occasionally RPB LP chop-block if I'm close to the table or full on RPB chop with the LPs if I'm off the table. I'm getting better at it but still a long, long ways to go on consistency as playing that modern defender esk type of game isn't something I've practice much before.

But it's nice to have the variation.

Played club mate who beat me 3-1 after I took the first game. I then wanted a rematch and won that 3-0. Made the adjustment in that he was someone who does not struggle vs the LPs (while others do). So I played him in the rematch more like a one sided only single wing player and that worked out... Well that and simply playing more consistent with my attacks that 2nd match. That always helps ;)

Need to realize sooner when I'm facing someone if the LPs make them struggle or not & adapt accordingly.

Also, picked up a sheet of H3 Neo. My burst has finally lost its burst :p. Excited to slap that on my FH soon here.

Last edited: