Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks SugaD , the cheap in me says finish the jar but I will keep an open mind :)
As with many things, there are different ways of boosting.

I for example was told to put a glue layer first before adding booster on the old 'regular' H3 and only put the oil first on the Neo rubbers since they already have a glue layer.
This is supposed to prevent a little from getting bubbles on the topsheet too soon from too much booster...

And yeah, Monster, it might be worth getting some Haifu booster instead.
Falco seems to work best on euro/japanese rubberz!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Actually , its not your fault , I had created a thread a while back on this , did not mention that I already have it here ... I boosted a H3 Provincial with it already , it took some time to get a dome ( almost 3 layers ) , anyways , I can talk to you on this offline and not hijack this thread :)
Oh, i see. Must have missed the part that you already have it. Then just forget that last part of me.
;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Actually , its not your fault , I had created a thread a while back on this , did not mention that I already have it here ... I boosted a H3 Provincial with it already , it took some time to get a dome ( almost 3 layers ) , anyways , I can talk to you on this offline and not hijack this thread :)
I methods i mentioned i learn that from a Chinese website. Apparently that's how most prof tt players boost in China.

For thr dome, I learn that significant doming is a sign that the sheet is real. Like my provincial H3 basically rolls itself up.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I methods i mentioned i learn that from a Chinese website. Apparently that's how most prof tt players boost in China.

I'm not into argueing. As I wrote before there are different methods. To me it was recommended by the person that sold the booster to me, and he's also not the only one boosting that way.

Usage:

Step 1: evently glue on preglued sponge and racket.

Step 2: naturally dried need about 12-24 hours according to environment or dried by hot wind after two hours.

Step 3: adhibit

Specialty: high elasticity, fast speed,effect last for 7 days.

Applicability: hard and soft sponge

Source:
http://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=HFNatOil

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
a lot of wasteful movement. you have the idea of using your body to hit the ball except you are leaning from one side to the other instead of pivoting.

you want to start with smaller movements. at the moment they are too wide and wild. which accounts to lower precision

try not to bring the bat behind your back. try not to go past your side

you are standing a bit too high. spread your legs out more thus lowering your center of gravity a bit. now you dont need to go super low.. just lower

remember to go back to your ready position, you tend to sit with your arm in front of you after each shot far too long. try to snap into position instead of dragging yourself there

as for your RPB. forget using your wrist for now. keep your wrist fixed. only change the angle to counter incoming spin

a lot of wasteful movement. you have the idea of using your body to hit the ball except you are leaning from one side to the other instead of pivoting.

you want to start with smaller movements. at the moment they are too wide and wild. which accounts to lower precision

try not to bring the bat behind your back. try not to go past your side

you are standing a bit too high. spread your legs out more thus lowering your center of gravity a bit. now you dont need to go super low.. just lower

remember to go back to your ready position, you tend to sit with your arm in front of you after each shot far too long. try to snap into position instead of dragging yourself there

as for your RPB. forget using your wrist for now. keep your wrist fixed. only change the angle to counter incoming spin
will definitely take note of this.. thanks

Wow, got to play with a blue sponge h3 this weekend, and it's insane. 41 degrees so 'harder' than my 40, but felt so much more alive and actually softer. Tbh, it might be boosted more aggressively, but I tried it on a DHS fang bo and even on that heavy, carbon, offensive sh blade it felt way better than normal. Too bad it's rare and expensive :(

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Welcome to TTD and the thread Christian Adrian Aniceta!

Hello, penhold players...
can I get some opinions and advice of what I need to correct in my game?
I have no formal training .. thank you very much :D

I'm learning RPB myself. I have no technical tips as I'm rusty after a 30+ yrs break from TT.

I have general tips though:

1) "Progress not perfection." ~Robert McCall (Denzel Washington in The Equalizer) ... keep at it! Only way to 'get good' is to keep training.

2) Video yourself whenever you can. Watch the video, compare to an earlier video. See if you have improved, see if you have not.

Post video if you feel like it for feedback in a new thread, https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?13168-Daily-Table-Tennis-Chit-Chat or to this thread.

3) Watch videos of Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Xu Xin, etc. See if you can adapt parts of their game to your game/physique/skill level. Visualize yourself as them! Sometimes it helps to 'model' someone and imprint their image onto yourself. Sounds bizarre perhaps, but worth a shot.

4) Although I mentioned to keep at it, make sure you get rest too. Don't overdo it.

5) Have fun! If it doesn't feel like fun and it feels like 'work', then stop, take a break.

Looking forward to future vids from you. Hope these help!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Wow, got to play with a blue sponge h3 this weekend, and it's insane. 41 degrees so 'harder' than my 40, but felt so much more alive and actually softer. Tbh, it might be boosted more aggressively, but I tried it on a DHS fang bo and even on that heavy, carbon, offensive sh blade it felt way better than normal. Too bad it's rare and expensive :(
Not really. It's on special

http://www.prott.vip/Product-Details.aspx?productcode=NATH3blue

It's real I'm using it at the moment. You can get 39-41 degree. After boosting looping feels like a dream. Soft but very controllable and powerful.

For $60 it's better than Tenergy.

Passionate about TT

Yeah I see at that price all the time. I agree it's better than tenergy, but they're not really comparable (would never use a euro/jap rubber on FH). IMO, the blue sponge is twice as good as commercial but 4X as expensive, so not worth it at the moment. I have a provincial orange sponge, but am waiting for the new season to try it out. The blue sponge does seem more worth it with a more offensive blade, like your volcanic carbon thingy. I could really do with a faster blade, but honestly, just because a faster blade would make me a better player does not mean it'll accelerate my progress. I think the opposite is more likely. the blue sponge was waaaay too forgiving, allowing me to make decent shots with average swings *perhaps this was also the carbon in the blade, and that it was higher quality. But I love (and hate) how my current setup really punishes me when I make a slight misread regarding spin or bounce. I have to be near perfect to land winning shots, and that punishment and reinforcement is the best thing to have in TT. It's also nice to hear that those white packaged 'national blue sponge' rubbers are really good. I'm not sure I believe they are legitimate, but quality matters more to me than 'dhs purity'.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Yeah I see at that price all the time. I agree it's better than tenergy, but they're not really comparable (would never use a euro/jap rubber on FH). IMO, the blue sponge is twice as good as commercial but 4X as expensive, so not worth it at the moment. I have a provincial orange sponge, but am waiting for the new season to try it out. The blue sponge does seem more worth it with a more offensive blade, like your volcanic carbon thingy. I could really do with a faster blade, but honestly, just because a faster blade would make me a better player does not mean it'll accelerate my progress. I think the opposite is more likely. the blue sponge was waaaay too forgiving, allowing me to make decent shots with average swings *perhaps this was also the carbon in the blade, and that it was higher quality. But I love (and hate) how my current setup really punishes me when I make a slight misread regarding spin or bounce. I have to be near perfect to land winning shots, and that punishment and reinforcement is the best thing to have in TT. It's also nice to hear that those white packaged 'national blue sponge' rubbers are really good. I'm not sure I believe they are legitimate, but quality matters more to me than 'dhs purity'.
I have given up the hinoki-volcanic carbon blade. Now I am back to my Stiga Celero 5-ply. Much better feel.

My H3N BS does the job - soft and controllable, but MASSIVE catapult effect.
I think the opposite is true. Provincial orange sponge is more forgiving than national blue sponge. Just my experience.

I have bought provincial and national rubbers from Prott.vip. i have ordered TG2 and TG3 BS from them. they all authentic rubbers that last a long time.

Passionate about TT

Welcome to TTD and the thread Christian Adrian Aniceta!

I'm learning RPB myself. I have no technical tips as I'm rusty after a 30+ yrs break from TT.

I have general tips though:

1) "Progress not perfection." ~Robert McCall (Denzel Washington in The Equalizer) ... keep at it! Only way to 'get good' is to keep training.

2) Video yourself whenever you can. Watch the video, compare to an earlier video. See if you have improved, see if you have not.

Post video if you feel like it for feedback in a new thread, https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?13168-Daily-Table-Tennis-Chit-Chat or to this thread.

3) Watch videos of Wang Hao, Ma Lin, Xu Xin, etc. See if you can adapt parts of their game to your game/physique/skill level. Visualize yourself as them! Sometimes it helps to 'model' someone and imprint their image onto yourself. Sounds bizarre perhaps, but worth a shot.

4) Although I mentioned to keep at it, make sure you get rest too. Don't overdo it.

5) Have fun! If it doesn't feel like fun and it feels like 'work', then stop, take a break.

Looking forward to future vids from you. Hope these help!

I definitely try tip no. 3 :D
I imagine myself sometimes as my favorite player Zhang Jike..
It indeed helps to model your game better :)) thank you..
for now I am improving my fh loop and footwork

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I was watching this video of a match between Xu Xin vs Ma Long back in 2016. It was one of the few times in Xu's career where he actually got over on Ma Long.

Anyways, the shot he does on this point at...

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=lqD8aTk7pg8&p=n#/1100;1105

I find extremely interesting and I think has possibilities for penholders. Lets just call it an over the table FH loop. It's basically the same thing as the BH version just done with the FH. This is one of the few shots penholders can do that shakehanders cannot.

I don't know how it goes for you right handers out there but being a lefty, most serves to me go to my FH side. If the serve is short, this is an option that for me right now, I find this shot easier to do than your standard FH flip.

If you can do a reverse pendulum serve, you can do this shot. I love it. You can play it safe or aggressive.

Lets say you get a backspin ball, well on your flicking action, you come more underneath the ball and flick forward. As long as you're touching the bottom quarter of the ball, it'll be back & side-spin to them. Xu in this case vs Ma Long took that backspin ball and touched more of the side and came up with his wrist action returning top-spin. So vs backspin you have options on what to return to the opponent and both actions look pretty similar. You can also at times flick purely on the side of the ball returning a ball that's hard for the opponent to get on the table in my experience.

I will say that if you get the rare topspin serve, I don't like this wrist flicky motion as much as you really have to come over the top of the ball and you don't get the power you'd probably want. On those balls I just try to be quick to recognize and just attack it with your normal stroke.

Give it a shot sometime at club. I got my camera working again so maybe I'll take some video this Sunday and post it back here with what works for me. Obviously won't be the same quality as Xu's (do I really need to say that? :p ) but none the less maybe I'll explain the action in what I'm going for vs different spins.

Give it a shot. It may seem gimicky but I don't believe that's the case. I think it's pretty easy to execute and simply under used... Full credit to Xu though for inventing the shot. He was the first one I've ever seen do it maybe a few years ago or so.

Last edited:
The link isn't working, but I think I know the shot you are referring to. The full wrist fh flick as opposed to the normal flat faced fh flick? As you say, I've only ever seen XX I do it. What I like so much about this shot is how it looks like you're going to do a bh push until the last minute, so is even effective on slightly long underspin serves. They think your just going to push it back, but then you give them tons of topspin/sidespin that sets up an easy fh kill. Also great against pendulum same hand side or reverse pendulum opposite hand side.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
The link isn't working, but I think I know the shot you are referring to. The full wrist fh flick as opposed to the normal flat faced fh flick? As you say, I've only ever seen XX I do it. What I like so much about this shot is how it looks like you're going to do a bh push until the last minute, so is even effective on slightly long underspin serves. They think your just going to push it back, but then you give them tons of topspin/sidespin that sets up an easy fh kill. Also great against pendulum same hand side or reverse pendulum opposite hand side.

Strange the video was taken down.

Here's a gif of the same shot exceot it looks like Fan gives him a side-spin serve where as Ma Long in the original link gave purely backspin.

cache.php

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hello fellows, seems im kinda restored my shoulder after trauma and gonna start playing soon again. but, since my arm is so weak atm D: i need a lighter blade. so theres my question, which blade do you know and can recommend me . im looking for a ~/< 70g with limba or koto pref with carbon.
peace