Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Save up and buy a Darker Speed 90. It's the holy grail of single ply hinoki.

I come back to this thread, 2 month ago I switched again to penhold grip, according to the fact that i didn't fell problems with my back.

So I was playing again with chinese grip and 1 side ( no rpb ) with a yinhe T11+ blade. My level was lower but my pleasure of playing higher ! ( I started penhold grip at 54 years, after 20 years of orthodox grip )

And 1 month ago, I try a japanese blade, in order to get a better RT.

Now my level is a little better than orthodox (between 1200 points and 1300 points in France), my RT is good and I use a long pimple on the RPB side, to play again spin serves or sometimes defense and a few serves with LP

I like this play, I play with a blade Yinhe 987, buy at aliexpress for 14 $ with postage ... It's a good blade but I order a blade at tt-japan.net to try a "better" (?) blade, "acute" from nittaku

here : View attachment 18725

do you know that blade ?

it price is about 30 $. What kind of other blade can you advise to me ? ( 1 side with big cork at FH, I need it )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Short game is never Jpen's strength. You have to condition your mind to deal with those blocks.

Maybe long serve might help to open up the game in your favour?
Maybe give him the opportunity to open up the game, and you counter attack?

I tried letting him open up first but the problem is he will just push the ball when he can, making me impatient which ended up me opening up first. But i the case were he opened up first, he loop the ball short on the table forcing me to go close to the table to counter it (in which I am very inconsistent) or wait for it to go down then fish the ball. The latter gets me caught on a defensive side of a smashing game.

After watching several penholders on yt I noticed that RPB is really a necessity to survive close to the table. Unless I have a whooping FH like Xu Xin, I think my safest bet is to prioritize my RPB and practice more of it.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
After watching several penholders on yt I noticed that RPB is really a necessity to survive close to the table. Unless I have a whooping FH like Xu Xin, I think my safest bet is to prioritize my RPB and practice more of it.

genrel001,

If you can, get lessons with a coach. It should speed up your learning.

If not, if you have a friend or a member that can RPB to help you out, that would help too.

I mostly self-learned RPB. I actually self-trained SH BH first. I wasn't sure if my wrist/hand could handle the extra weight, I used an American Hinoki blade that was a bit smaller than regular PH blades. Then I worked with a friend who is a coach for about 5x. A friend helped with multiball for a bit too.

All told, I was somewhat able to learn RPB in about a year. If I could convert from my oldschool PH style to RPB style, you can too!

Good luck in your RPB training!!

Reactions: genrel001

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I have been playing with Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive and quite like it, but it doesn't have as much feedback as my Virtuso. Is there a blade that is similar to MEO but with better feeling on the softer shots?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
i had a good practice session last night with a SH who is 2 levels above me. he is coming back from injury.

i don't think he recalled hitting with me a year ago. back then, i was oldschool TPB punch/block. last night i was RPB punch/block his BH punch/flat hit. i sometimes RPB flat hit. did not RPB loop with him. i was so in the zone with him, didn't think of getting video of us :( will see if i can video us next time.

speaking of RPB loop, i have been using an unorthodox grip to get me used to RPB. lately, on and off i have been trying to use orthodox grips ... been trying Xu Xin's grip with middle and ring fingers straight. i do not know understand why, but with that grip i seem to have stronger RPB loops. my unorthodox grip gives me a bigger range of motion in my wrist but seems weaker RPB loops than XX grip.

will keep exploring and trying to convert to an orthodox grip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Progress report:

ttmonster felt I should play players who are 'boom boom' instead of my 2 regular games partners who are 65 and 70 yrs old and are slower-paced players but if given the chance to attack they would.

65 yrs old friend: I really should be able to beat convincingly but he is steady and always returning the ball. He is about my level if not 1 level below believe it or not. I am my own worst enemy! Rushing my shots!

70 yrs old friend: is a 2 winged JPen attacker with conservative serves I am able to push or RPB loop. He is overall 1 to 2 levels above me as I see him playing other players above my level and they have long rallies and good attacks. With him, I am able to put the ball mostly away from his comfort attacking zone.

Onto the boom boom players...

Last week it was late, practiced with B. ~1900 SH double-winged attacker, 39 yrs old ... tall and long arms/legs, generally gets to most balls. Before leaving we played one game. Losing 10-8, i forced a deuce. Lost at 11. About 2 years ago, before self-learning RPB, I lost to him easily. The difference this game is partly my RPB, but also partly because I'm not rushing my shots like I used to. Playing my 2 regular games partners has helped me somewhat not to rush my shots.

Playing B though, he is dangerous as he has killer FH/BH loops. He has 2 serves which trick me many times. But overall, my RPB loop and RPB punch has helped me a bit, as well as the return of my FH loop, or more correctly my confidence in my FH loop is coming back due to neglect while training RPB for a year.

Played B. Monday night, lost 3-0, but scores are closer now than 2 years ago, when I lost easily at 4 and 5. Sadly I didn't remember to video our practice as well as match. Good warmup practice and I had 2 highlight worthy points. My left knee is still achy and not 100% but getting better. One serve he served short side-down to my FH and I was able to 'fly' over and loop it cross court for a winner surprising him and the people sitting/watching waiting for next. Another point, I served sidetop and he popped up, I 3rd ball smashed to his FH, he plays mid-distance away from the table and is tall and able to get to the ball and lob it back, I smashed 5th ball to his FH and he lobbed back and I waited to 'quick smash' the 7th ball to his BH - that is I smashed as the ball was ready to bounce up, quickening the tempo/rhythm and able to win the point convincingly. Really wished I video'd that match, but in a way I am glad I didn't because then ttmonster and JeffM may ask me for 9 points instead if they saw those 2 highlights ... LOL at me!

Played him tonight and lost 3-2, close games except for 5th where I lost focus/concentration somewhat early and he jumped to a 6-2 lead and won the decider at 5. I believe tonight's match was the only time I ever won 2 games off of him. Afterwards we chatted and he mentioned I improved a lot. I chalk it up to slowing down at times and not rushing my shots. I thanked him for his kind words. Part of my success is my spinny serves and part of my success was my nospin serves! THANK YOU NEXTLEVEL!

In the past 4-5 months, I have been forcing a 2nd or 3rd ball attack either RPB loop or FH loop. Lost many a point, but it's conditioning myself to get back that attacking mindset and to get my RPB looping going. Also in the past month I have been pushing more to set up a RPB or FH loop instead of forcing it. My pushing is varied, side to side with angled pushes, long, short/float/touch some back. Losing some points as I still don't have the 'touch' down quite yet, and sometimes I push too long but it's getting there. I am getting deeper into the point and am successful with my RPB block/punch/loop and FH loops. To think about 5 or 6 months ago, I had zero confidence in my FH loop ... i was hesitant and lost many a point.

Monday I played a rusty 2000 SH power FH looper. For a big guy, he moves very fast pivoting to 2nd ball FH loop down the line. Even if my left knee wasn't achy, his FH loops are too fast/strong for slow me to get to my FH. He hasn't come in a few months, in the process of selling house/moving. I played him a few times in the past and got smoked easily. Although back then I had no FH loop and my RPB was not consistent enough yet. I actually won the first game but he didn't really warm up. He won next 2 with me getting 6-8 pts. 4th game, lost focus/concentration and he won easily at 5. He wanted to play one more game, it was very late and past the regular time I leave 7:30-8pm. Lost that 5th game at 4. I left at 9pm! Club/recreation center closes at 9:45pm. After our games, he mentioned that I improved a lot. I thanked him for his kind words. Told him it was my honor to play him even if I got home late and my wife yelling at me LOLOL. Part of my success is my spinny serves and part of my success was my nospin serves! THANK YOU NEXTLEVEL YET AGAIN!

Playing my 2 regular games partners, I have been pushing more and being more patient. I am still losing to them, but scores are much more closer.

I can't help but be a bit happy with my progress/improvement. But I think I will jinx myself now after writing that and play like a 1300 again LOLOLOL

Thank you my Friends if you read all that!

Very truly yours in TT,

~osph

Reactions: jbvttcc and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Progress report:

ttmonster felt I should play players who are 'boom boom' instead of my 2 regular games partners who are 65 and 70 yrs old and are slower-paced players but if given the chance to attack they would.

65 yrs old friend: I really should be able to beat convincingly but he is steady and always returning the ball. He is about my level if not 1 level below believe it or not. I am my own worst enemy! Rushing my shots!

70 yrs old friend: is a 2 winged JPen attacker with conservative serves I am able to push or RPB loop. He is overall 1 to 2 levels above me as I see him playing other players above my level and they have long rallies and good attacks. With him, I am able to put the ball mostly away from his comfort attacking zone.

Onto the boom boom players...

Last week it was late, practiced with B. ~1900 SH double-winged attacker, 39 yrs old ... tall and long arms/legs, generally gets to most balls. Before leaving we played one game. Losing 10-8, i forced a deuce. Lost at 11. About 2 years ago, before self-learning RPB, I lost to him easily. The difference this game is partly my RPB, but also partly because I'm not rushing my shots like I used to. Playing my 2 regular games partners has helped me somewhat not to rush my shots.

Playing B though, he is dangerous as he has killer FH/BH loops. He has 2 serves which trick me many times. But overall, my RPB loop and RPB punch has helped me a bit, as well as the return of my FH loop, or more correctly my confidence in my FH loop is coming back due to neglect while training RPB for a year.

Played B. Monday night, lost 3-0, but scores are closer now than 2 years ago, when I lost easily at 4 and 5. Sadly I didn't remember to video our practice as well as match. Good warmup practice and I had 2 highlight worthy points. My left knee is still achy and not 100% but getting better. One serve he served short side-down to my FH and I was able to 'fly' over and loop it cross court for a winner surprising him and the people sitting/watching waiting for next. Another point, I served sidetop and he popped up, I 3rd ball smashed to his FH, he plays mid-distance away from the table and is tall and able to get to the ball and lob it back, I smashed 5th ball to his FH and he lobbed back and I waited to 'quick smash' the 7th ball to his BH - that is I smashed as the ball was ready to bounce up, quickening the tempo/rhythm and able to win the point convincingly. Really wished I video'd that match, but in a way I am glad I didn't because then ttmonster and JeffM may ask me for 9 points instead if they saw those 2 highlights ... LOL at me!

Played him tonight and lost 3-2, close games except for 5th where I lost focus/concentration somewhat early and he jumped to a 6-2 lead and won the decider at 5. I believe tonight's match was the only time I ever won 2 games off of him. Afterwards we chatted and he mentioned I improved a lot. I chalk it up to slowing down at times and not rushing my shots. I thanked him for his kind words. Part of my success is my spinny serves and part of my success was my nospin serves! THANK YOU NEXTLEVEL!

In the past 4-5 months, I have been forcing a 2nd or 3rd ball attack either RPB loop or FH loop. Lost many a point, but it's conditioning myself to get back that attacking mindset and to get my RPB looping going. Also in the past month I have been pushing more to set up a RPB or FH loop instead of forcing it. My pushing is varied, side to side with angled pushes, long, short/float/touch some back. Losing some points as I still don't have the 'touch' down quite yet, and sometimes I push too long but it's getting there. I am getting deeper into the point and am successful with my RPB block/punch/loop and FH loops. To think about 5 or 6 months ago, I had zero confidence in my FH loop ... i was hesitant and lost many a point.

Monday I played a rusty 2000 SH power FH looper. For a big guy, he moves very fast pivoting to 2nd ball FH loop down the line. Even if my left knee wasn't achy, his FH loops are too fast/strong for slow me to get to my FH. He hasn't come in a few months, in the process of selling house/moving. I played him a few times in the past and got smoked easily. Although back then I had no FH loop and my RPB was not consistent enough yet. I actually won the first game but he didn't really warm up. He won next 2 with me getting 6-8 pts. 4th game, lost focus/concentration and he won easily at 5. He wanted to play one more game, it was very late and past the regular time I leave 7:30-8pm. Lost that 5th game at 4. I left at 9pm! Club/recreation center closes at 9:45pm. After our games, he mentioned that I improved a lot. I thanked him for his kind words. Told him it was my honor to play him even if I got home late and my wife yelling at me LOLOL. Part of my success is my spinny serves and part of my success was my nospin serves! THANK YOU NEXTLEVEL YET AGAIN!

Playing my 2 regular games partners, I have been pushing more and being more patient. I am still losing to them, but scores are much more closer.

I can't help but be a bit happy with my progress/improvement. But I think I will jinx myself now after writing that and play like a 1300 again LOLOLOL

Thank you my Friends if you read all that!

Very truly yours in TT,

~osph

Wow I am really encouraged by your persistent training and progress. You reflect on games and make improvement. Many amateurs just do it for killing time. They would not think twice about how to improve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Wow I am really encouraged by your persistent training and progress. You reflect on games and make improvement. Many amateurs just do it for killing time. They would not think twice about how to improve.

Thank you SFF_lib! I think you are right in that many amateurs play TT to kill time. I feel that if one is passionate about an endeavor, one may as well look to improve upon it. I think ttmonster, Der_Echte or NextLevel in the Daily Chit Chat Table Tennis thread mentioned "professional amateurs" - an amateur who is so into an activity, that they more than an amateur but not quite a professional.

I mainly play TT because it is fun for me. At 54 yrs old, I need to exercise regularly. I derive no pleasure from walking, jogging, etc. So for me those activities are "boring" and like a 'chore'. With TT, I find it fun as I played when I was a teenager and I don't think TT is a chore... so my mindset is not thinking "I'm exercising" but rather "I am having fun."

What better way to have MORE fun than to look to improve. Many of my club members are like you say looking to pass time, but there are a decent amount of ~USATT 1800+ members with that skill level looking to improve somewhat. For me, I really was playing like a USATT 1400 a few years ago, missing easy shots, not able block, attack, etc. So I am perhaps playing ~1500-1600 level now. I do not know if I will ever reach a 2000 skill level as I will not be playing tournaments, but I am striving to learn and improve. There is that old cliche about it's the journey and not the destination.

I have lost many a game/match in the past 3 or 4 years and many against players I should beat. I am my own worst enemy though, I rush my shots. A loss is not a loss if one can learn from them and look to improve. Slowly but surer I am.

Sometime ago, a friend mentioned I improved. I didn't want to believe her, but slowly, a few friends/members have also commented I improved. And now despite losses to some players/friends, i see the scores are closer whereas before there was a huge gap. My mentality is like that of a tribe. One member of the tribe looks to improve by helping the others in his tribe improve. As they say iron sharpen iron, if i improve this will help my partners improve also.

All I can say is to keep at it, one of my mantras: "Consistency trumps intensity." I have persevered somewhat and finally my hard work is paying off. Although upon reflection, if i had the funds and got regular coaching lessons, I would've probably improved much faster. But at this stage of my life, with 1 daughter in college, 2nd daughter starting college in Sept and my son will be in college in 2 yrs, I cannot afford to get regular lessons.

TL; DR version :)

1. Keep at it ... "Consistency trumps intensity."
2. "Iron sharpens iron." ... if i improve this will help my partners improve also
3. A loss is not a loss if one can reflect and learn from them.

Good luck in your TT training!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Thank you SFF_lib! I think you are right in that many amateurs play TT to kill time. I feel that if one is passionate about an endeavor, one may as well look to improve upon it. I think ttmonster, Der_Echte or NextLevel in the Daily Chit Chat Table Tennis thread mentioned "professional amateurs" - an amateur who is so into an activity, that they more than an amateur but not quite a professional.

I mainly play TT because it is fun for me. At 54 yrs old, I need to exercise regularly. I derive no pleasure from walking, jogging, etc. So for me those activities are "boring" and like a 'chore'. With TT, I find it fun as I played when I was a teenager and I don't think TT is a chore... so my mindset is not thinking "I'm exercising" but rather "I am having fun."

What better way to have MORE fun than to look to improve. Many of my club members are like you say looking to pass time, but there are a decent amount of ~USATT 1800+ members with that skill level looking to improve somewhat. For me, I really was playing like a USATT 1400 a few years ago, missing easy shots, not able block, attack, etc. So I am perhaps playing ~1500-1600 level now. I do not know if I will ever reach a 2000 skill level as I will not be playing tournaments, but I am striving to learn and improve. There is that old cliche about it's the journey and not the destination.

I have lost many a game/match in the past 3 or 4 years and many against players I should beat. I am my own worst enemy though, I rush my shots. A loss is not a loss if one can learn from them and look to improve. Slowly but surer I am.

Sometime ago, a friend mentioned I improved. I didn't want to believe her, but slowly, a few friends/members have also commented I improved. And now despite losses to some players/friends, i see the scores are closer whereas before there was a huge gap. My mentality is like that of a tribe. One member of the tribe looks to improve by helping the others in his tribe improve. As they say iron sharpen iron, if i improve this will help my partners improve also.

All I can say is to keep at it, one of my mantras: "Consistency trumps intensity." I have persevered somewhat and finally my hard work is paying off. Although upon reflection, if i had the funds and got regular coaching lessons, I would've probably improved much faster. But at this stage of my life, with 1 daughter in college, 2nd daughter starting college in Sept and my son will be in college in 2 yrs, I cannot afford to get regular lessons.

TL; DR version :)

1. Keep at it ... "Consistency trumps intensity."
2. "Iron sharpens iron." ... if i improve this will help my partners improve also
3. A loss is not a loss if one can reflect and learn from them.

Good luck in your TT training!

That's one thing I like this forum. I get to know some passionate TT player who devote so much time and energy to improving their skills and testing equipment (excessive EJ still not good). It's hard to find someone like that in my small region.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I played 2 matches tonight and didn't think of taking video of them. Lost both 3 straight, but I am playing a little better. Still rushing my shots here and there but also slowed down at times. My FH loop is somewhat back, lately been playing to force myself to FH loop. Also pushing more to set up the FH loop. My left knee is not 100% but I need to lose some weight I've gained from the winter hibernation LOL

I was practicing with a partner who is recovering from an injury. About 2 or 3 weeks ago, we practiced and our BH to BH was flowing well. Tonight it was a so-so practice unlike our previous session. After perhaps 10 mins, I recall video'ing our practice. Ugly practice session recorded to video.

I do not know why I started rushing myself. Perhaps it was because I know I'm on video LOL

Apologize for the bad angle. Phone was placed inside a locker. I'm wearing blue with my back to the phone/camera. Behind me is a row of lockers. Raw video of ~9 mins with one pause to switch angles of phone from FH to BH. FYI, to my left is the Olympic weight lifting area. Sometimes hard to concentrate during matchplay when the lifters drop their weight LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K90H_dVU_GU

For the past year, I've been trying to meet the ball earlier with my FH. I see from this video, sometimes I am not doing this consistently yet. Although I am meeting the ball earlier compared to my FH stroke from 32 years ago but video doesn't lie, at least to my eyes.

0:00-4:30 FH flat hit, ~0:53 after 1-3 flat hits, I start looping

4:31-9:32 RPB - mostly RPB punches, some RPB blocks ... i started RPB looping towards the end before my friend said time's up.

(7:40 - RPB flat hit)

In hindsight, I was nervous because I knew I was on video LOL at me. Will do my best to remember to video some matches and relax when practicing if video'ing.

I welcome any comments. Thank you in advance.

~osph

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Not a pretty video of my FH looping LOL

I was practicing with one of the coaches at my club. We sometimes hit, but he is not officially 'my coach' ... just hitting partners. He usually practices his FH loops with me as I can FH block/short stroke it back to him somewhat consistently. He then will stand on his FH side and TPB block for me.

We had been hitting for 10 mins already, before he started blocking for me. After 5 mins of my FH looping, my friend finished his game and I asked him to video. Only 2 mins video. I am not a looper. I am a smasher. I have all kinds of wrong in my FH loop during practice. I am slowly trying to adjust. However, for the past year I neglected my FH loop in favor of working on my RPB. Up until about 2 months ago, I had zero confidence in my FH loop and it was evident in my games as well as practice. Luckily, my 1980's FH sidespin loop with the long backswing is back. In time I will shorten my stroke and train engaging my legs properly as well as my core. I feel I am mostly looping with my arm. Only 2 mins of video. I didn't want the lady in blue and red top to wait too long. She is also a coach. She taught another member who went on to be city champ in Guangdong. He's at least 2300 USATT probably.

In the future, hope to video some matches if my friends are available. Don't want to stick my phone in a locker like my last posted video because it's not the best angle/view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC0pNslEkjs

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Videos from last night of 2 ugly matches. I didn't play well. Proof of why I ask for 9 points from ttmonster and JeffM !! For those that haven't seen me before, I'm in the gray shirt.

Hit quite a bit earlier in the night . A little tired before playing 2 matches which I recorded. Not a great angle I know. It's on a ledge with a white wall which is hard for me to see the white ball at times. The gray partition at times causes problems for me.

Really played horribly ... generally don't like to play in this section of the club due to the white/gray walls. Although I probably will video next time with a tripod in this section.

Played B. He usually wins 3-0. Lately I get a game off him. Last week, lost 3-2 against him... my first time winning 2 off of him. If my RPB block/punch is on, i would have a slightly better game.

Almost 20 mins raw footage (-9, 8, -2, -6)

0:00-5:55 ... warmup

5:56-9:26 ... -9;

highlights 6:11-6:16, 7:01-7:05, 7:38-7:45 miss, 9:02-9:08

9:27-13:24 ... 8... i'm winning 10-4, i win at 11-8 LOL at me

13:25-15:42 ... -2

highlight 14:52-14:58 lucky

15:43-19:31 ... -6

highlights 16:04-16:11 miss, 16:38-16:43, 16:56-17:04 miss on 8th ball, 18:35-18:41

Play a little better this game, despite being tired and white/gray walls. Y has long pips on his BH. I think he is ~1800. In this match it may not seem like it, but when I watch him play others it seems like it. He has been supportive of my RPB training and realized I have no game and better in practice. He has given some easy balls to helped get used to gameplay. I used to lose 3-0 easily to him. Last year, lost 3-1, with one game I lost at 21-19! I didn't video my match with him last week, I won 3-2. First time ever i won off of him.

Although I'm still not that comfortable FH looping, because I concentrated for a year or so on learning RPB and neglected my FH loop, lately it's coming back

0:00-4:52 warmup

4:53-8:36 ... -9

highlights 4:53-5:10, 5:57-6:02 down the line serve, 6:19-6:29, 6:55-7:03 8th ball miss, 7:09-7:18, 7:52-8:00, 8:02-8:07

8:38-11:14 ... -2

highlights 9:54-10:00, 10:08-10:14 lucky footwork

11:15-15:37 ... -9

highlights 11:52-11:57 I do a Wang Hao impersonation by RPB looping from FH side LOL, 12:28-12:34 lucky, 14:41-14:49 RPB loop, 15:00-15:10 LOLOLOL

16:04-17:02 FH-FH (@JeffM, I intended to do a video of longer and multiple angles of my FH, but ran out of space. Hope this helps for now!)

17:03-17:51 FH smashes ... that section is not as spacious as the other 2 sections of my club ... Y is a good enough lobber if he has space

Ran out of memory on phone, hit for another 2 mins and went home as it was 9pm... I usually go home 7:30-8pm

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Count me one half CPen, one half RPB (sometimes shakehand and traditional BH).
In my place, less than 5% are PH. :(

Welcome to TTD and this thread Sir!

You are in Hong Kong and in your club there is less than 5% PH!?!? Is Wong Chun Ting the best HK player?

Reactions: jbvttcc