Back to Forum
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,719 1,774
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,774 2,719
    ACK! I've been busy with work and neglected to check on this thread - thank you Kaizoku for the *cough*

I don't play the modern PH style, and cannot speak on the RPB by anyone, let alone, the #2 best PH in the world.

Curious as to the other PH members' thoughts.
    New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

--------------------------------------
    https://vimeo.com/user56649342
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClR...u057SJTKL4O9Og

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by James Livesey
    We've talked about pimples play and RBP, have you guys checked out Tin Tin Ho? she's British ranked 1 or 2 and under 20 I think. She has an awesome modern style. She plays SP forehand aggressively and a medium European inverted for rpb. She serves with the inverted then twiddles.
    I've watched one of her matches before. Pretty good! In the back of my mind, i was thinking maybe trying out her style, or try out Liu Guoliang's (IIRC, he doesn't twiddle). But then I put on the SP and found it too heavy for me, having played over the years only single-sided. Also, the SP was totally foreign to me despite starting off ages ago playing with it.

If my hand gets stronger (fear onset of carpal tunnel syndrome though) i may give it a serious go.

The Following User Likes OldschoolPenholder's Post:

Suga D

New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 29 38
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 38 29

User Info Menu

Aug 2016
    UK
    Read 0 Reviews
    Wang ZengYi talked about reverse backhand and he mention WCT's grip is further down so the backhand angle is more closed (at 2:00).

Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolPenholder
    I've watched one of her matches before. Pretty good! In the back of my mind, i was thinking maybe trying out her style, or try out Liu Guoliang's (IIRC, he doesn't twiddle). But then I put on the SP and found it too heavy for me, having played over the years only single-sided. Also, the SP was totally foreign to me despite starting off ages ago playing with it.

If my hand gets stronger (fear onset of carpal tunnel syndrome though) i may give it a serious go.
    I have been thinking about trying SP as well. Maybe after I get the basics down again.

The Following User Likes mky's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

Last edited by mky; 11-21-2016 at 01:46 PM.

says ShakeMyShakehand

Senior TTD Member 268 507
    says ShakeMyShakehand

Senior TTD Member 507 268
    Quote Originally Posted by mky
    Wang ZengYi talked about reverse backhand and he mention WCT's grip is further down so the backhand angle is more closed (at 2:00).

I have been thinking about trying SP as well. Maybe after I get the basics down again.
    Interesting, although I don't understand any of what he is saying.... I do know how Wong Chun Ting holds it, because it was demonstratet in a butterfly video.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/f...highlight=wong
    Does Wang use the same?

The Following User Likes Kaizoku's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

"Despite that there are disadvantages of being a Penhold, there are more positive points from it. And in playing table tennis, we all need to diversify." ~Xu Xin - Check out my new compilation

This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 37
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 37 28
    Interesting, although I don't understand any of what he is saying.... I do know how Wong Chun Ting holds it, because it was demonstratet in a butterfly video.
    I've spotted an interesting comment under the vid, here's what the guy (GainsBrah) says :

Mandarin is not my first language, so it might be a little off. He said that he met the HK player, Wong Chun Ting, and his fingers at the back are further down the bat, so his wrist is more straight - forehand and backhand are the same with straight wrist. Wang Zeng Yi's grip requires him to bent his wrist on the backhand because his fingers are in the middle of the bat. WCT's looping is different as well, the bat is pointed down, more vertical height/upwards (more hips) then brush to the side to finish.?
    Maybe it helps

The Following User Likes PierreAd's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Hello fellow Penholders!

Posted this video to the Daily Chit Chat thread... reposting here... showing how inconsistent i can be

----------------

Last week I played MB a match... he has anti on his BH side and IMO has excellent ball control. Have never beaten him in a match. The best I ever did was lose 3-2, but generally lose 3-0, but sometimes close games. Lost to him last week -8, -5, -8

I finally had a chance to edit the video of the match ... i only picked out my 3rd ball punch down the line points from the match ... seemed this tactic has worked for me against him in the past. Showing my inconsistencies.

That night last week, i mixed in my regular long motion pendulum serves with the short pendulum motion, although this clip doesn't include the short pendulum motion.

The Following 4 Users Like OldschoolPenholder's Post:

genrel001, mky and 2 others

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 181 378
    V
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 378 181

User Info Menu

recently, I changed the position on my thumb during reverse backhand. The chinese coach at my club told to me the thumb should be more advanced towards the first finger.

I did it and it's great, now I play only rpb, it's far better so.

The Following User Likes violoniste18's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 206 208
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 208 206
    Quote Originally Posted by violoniste18
    recently, I changed the position on my thumb during reverse backhand. The chinese coach at my club told to me the thumb should be more advanced towards the first finger.

I did it and it's great, now I play only rpb, it's far better so.
    I'm still getting used to this grip as it improves my RPB a lot but I lost some control on my FH, but loops and serves are more spinny though.

The Following 2 Users Like genrel001's Post:

OldschoolPenholder and violoniste18

This user has no status.

TTD Member 4 10
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 10 4

User Info Menu

Nov 2016
    New Zealand
    Read 0 Reviews
    Modern cpen holder here, still trying to get a wang hao rpb lol

The Following User Likes Dan.1's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 181 378
    V
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 378 181

User Info Menu

Wang Hao's rpb, just a dream ...

I agree what you said genrel about forehand, So I had changed a little my grip on the forehand side, my index finger is now a little over my thumb and my FH is as good as before

The Following User Likes violoniste18's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 857 805
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 805 857
    Truly greatful to Carl and others who hinted that the Stratus power wood was a nice all wood 5 ply blade.
    1.5h of practice = me beeing really impressed and happy.

The Following 2 Users Like Liten's Post:

OldschoolPenholder and Suga D

Grasshopper 4 life!

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 206 208
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 208 206
    Quote Originally Posted by violoniste18
    Wang Hao's rpb, just a dream ...

I agree what you said genrel about forehand, So I had changed a little my grip on the forehand side, my index finger is now a little over my thumb and my FH is as good as before
    This is kind of hard to do for my part as I have 10mm thick blade with big handle, so what I did is try loosen up my index finger and put most of the pressure on my fingers on the RPB side and clip it with my thumb. But incase I wanted some power then I tighten the grip of my index finger. I'm still getting used to it because before I learned RPB I used to extend all my 3 fingers at the backside of the paddle (I still find myself do this sometimes in the middle of the game, damn instincts).

The Following User Likes genrel001's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 29 38
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 38 29

User Info Menu

Aug 2016
    UK
    Read 0 Reviews
    I found some pictures of Wang Hao looping and noticed that his bat is more towards the right side of his body.

Name:  192750dj7rdjmj8tm8t7rc.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  42.8 KB

The Following 2 Users Like mky's Post:

Kaizoku and OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 35 75
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 75 35

User Info Menu

Sep 2016
    Russian Federation
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hey ! here's kinda "fresh" modern cpen style player. I start play TT when i was 7y o(train 5 days a week), every 3 month i had a camp when we trained for 6 days a week(twice a day ). But i stopped at 14 yo. Now im back to the sport after 12 years break.Trying to get back my form heh. The idea to switch to PH comes from nowhere, i ask my friends to give me a racket, but it was only with 1 rubber(in a one side). So i decided to play it for fun at once. But i remember, when i saw a Wanghao match on VHS in early 2000 it was really amazing and "strange" way to play at same time, since i play shakehand and never saw anyone who play PH. So probably switching from shakehand to PH was a matter of time for me and some sort of desire. So, since august this year i try to play PH more often, but ofc playing shakehand sometimes.
    sorry for bad english, isnt my naitive language.
    peace!

The Following User Likes fcvyy's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 26 34
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 34 26
    are you me? Stopped at 12 with SH, restarted at 26 with cpen. RPB comes kinda naturally, but I suck at forehand because muscle memory messes with me.

The Following User Likes 101010's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 37
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 37 28
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvyy
    Hey ! here's kinda "fresh" modern cpen style player. I start play TT when i was 7y o(train 5 days a week), every 3 month i had a camp when we trained for 6 days a week(twice a day ). But i stopped at 14 yo. Now im back to the sport after 12 years break.Trying to get back my form heh. The idea to switch to PH comes from nowhere, i ask my friends to give me a racket, but it was only with 1 rubber(in a one side). So i decided to play it for fun at once. But i remember, when i saw a Wanghao match on VHS in early 2000 it was really amazing and "strange" way to play at same time, since i play shakehand and never saw anyone who play PH. So probably switching from shakehand to PH was a matter of time for me and some sort of desire. So, since august this year i try to play PH more often, but ofc playing shakehand sometimes.
    sorry for bad english, isnt my naitive language.
    peace!
    Glad to see there are other former shakehand players who decided to switch over to penhold grip Do you intend to switch totally to penhold and stop playing shakehand, or maybe you don't know yet? Do you play "traditionnal" backhands with the forehand rubber, or RPB backhands with the backhand rubber, like Wang Hao for instance?

Anyway welcome here fellow penholder

The Following User Likes PierreAd's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 35 75
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 75 35

User Info Menu

Sep 2016
    Russian Federation
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 101010
    are you me? Stopped at 12 with SH, restarted at 26 with cpen. RPB comes kinda naturally, but I suck at forehand because muscle memory messes with me.
    hah, thats funny). No, i stopped at 14 yo. No problem for RPB to me either. Forehand ya.. Since i never played with a chinese rubber and muscle memory need some corrections and just a time to adapt. Time and practice will fix it!

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 35 75
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 75 35

User Info Menu

Sep 2016
    Russian Federation
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreAd
    Glad to see there are other former shakehand players who decided to switch over to penhold grip Do you intend to switch totally to penhold and stop playing shakehand, or maybe you don't know yet? Do you play "traditionnal" backhands with the forehand rubber, or RPB backhands with the backhand rubber, like Wang Hao for instance?

Anyway welcome here fellow penholder
    Yes, i will fully switch to PH style and maybe(MAYBE!) sometimes play SH. Just waiting for my new Cpen blade.I dont play traditional backhand, its really unconfortable for me and i dont understand how it works (lol). RPB ftw!)

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 7
    J
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 7 1

User Info Menu

Nov 2016
    Read 0 Reviews
    Yeah! PHs are dying...

The Following User Likes Jan Jan Salcedo Yañez's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

says ShakeMyShakehand

Senior TTD Member 268 507
    says ShakeMyShakehand

Senior TTD Member 507 268
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Jan Salcedo Yañez
    Yeah! PHs are dying...
    It's not dying. It's rest/sleeping, waiting for the awakening.

The Following 3 Users Like Kaizoku's Post:

genrel001, OldschoolPenholder and 1 other

"Despite that there are disadvantages of being a Penhold, there are more positive points from it. And in playing table tennis, we all need to diversify." ~Xu Xin - Check out my new compilation

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast