Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
YEO+ hn3+ rasant = heavy. But after a few sessions, I am finally getting used to it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Great to hear!

After 30+ years of working with a mouse and keyboard, i fear part of my challenges stem from the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome. So for now, i'm not pushing to switch to the modern PH style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Did you try to cut your fingers. I thought of it sometimes. Lol.

Wow you really let all your fingers lay on the blade. My fingers are also stretched out (sort of) but I only let the tip touch the blade. It's more relaxing for me and more control in my game.
I used to play with only tips touching the blade. Found it more painful for some reason.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
After playing for years as an oldschool 1-side PH, i tried 2 inverted as well as 1 inverted and 1 SP, the weight was too much. For now, haven't tried to increase wrist strength yet. Not sure if i will give the modern PH style a serious go at it.

When you first play with it, I'm sure it does feel like a lead weight. But just rest assured that's only because you're use to 1 sided rubbers.

If you played with it for a week, you'd get use to it and it would soon start to become normal to you.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
When you first play with it, I'm sure it does feel like a lead weight. But just rest assured that's only because you're use to 1 sided rubbers.

If you played with it for a week, you'd get use to it and it would soon start to become normal to you.

Thank you suds.

Fearing the onset of carpal tunnel syndrome is part of my challenge ... the other part is i don't have my basic game back at a consistent level yet. if i get that back, i may try the SP/Inverted twiddle game. May even try the Inverted/LP twiddle game.

but the CTS and my lack of consistency are holding me back for now.

Reactions: suds79
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
If you are going to use RPB, the side of your middle finger should be on the paddle.

That's a very good point... I've been poor at placing my finger sideways I think. I do it sometimes, then I forget, and revert back to old habits.
Gives more control on RPB than when it lies flat... Also makes the angle of RPB more "natural" to make. Those "minor details" I think are more majorly important than we think.
Though it also makes the fh feel a tad different, and probably not any more stable. Just a more BH oriented grip.
Am I right?

btw. Another nice video that probably most of you has already looked up (mostly FH techniques) VERY nice for considering your footwork ->

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
That's a very good point... I've been poor at placing my finger sideways I think. I do it sometimes, then I forget, and revert back to old habits.
Gives more control on RPB than when it lies flat... Also makes the angle of RPB more "natural" to make. Those "minor details" I think are more majorly important than we think.
Though it also makes the fh feel a tad different, and probably not any more stable. Just a more BH oriented grip.
Am I right?

The reason why you want the side of your finger on the paddle is because of what happens when you use your wrist.

Try using your wrist with your fingers flat on the paddle. Then, try using your wrist with the side of your middle finger on the paddle.

EDIT:

Try doing backhand counter topspins (not drives) and flips.

There is a limit to what angles you can get when your fingers are flat.

The difference becomes very real and very important when you push and strive to get into high level play.

If you are just playing casually, or under 2000 USATT, either is probably fine.

As for whether it affects forehand play, it hasn't really affected me in any way. Any player that has seen me play understands that my forehand gives me my best shots and is what I rely on.

It might be different for players who are switching/adjusting their grip. Either way, your middle finger is still important and is still able to do its job when you make your forehand shots.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
and here we go again...
so, heres another problem for me . im currently using hh3, which i kinda like(or not), its so fast for me i guess. im looking for a pure wood again. is there any good blades ~50$ or they r cheap not worthing attention and better to buy some quality stuff.
halp

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
and here we go again...
so, heres another problem for me . im currently using hh3, which i kinda like(or not), its so fast for me i guess. im looking for a pure wood again. is there any good blades ~50$ or they r cheap not worthing attention and better to buy some quality stuff.
halp
Why not HH2? There's a second hand one on eBay atm.

Otherwise Yasaka Goiabao 5 is a wonderful blade, only$40 new. Plays similar to Stiga Rose V but softer and better flexibility.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
so the price doesnt matter blade perfomance? or is it...
HH2 is a looping machine. I still use it. It can pair with medium to hard sponge. Very controllable. Enough power at mid to long distance if your technique is good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
my technique getting better everyday prob, training 15h+ a week with youngs who is in top8 in moscow at their age <16 :cool:

im thinking about donic zhou yu 1 or maybe 656, but i dont know will be difference ... ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
my technique getting better everyday prob, training 15h+ a week with youngs who is in top8 in moscow at their age <16 :cool:

im thinking about donic zhou yu 1 or maybe 656, but i dont know will be difference ... ?
Your TG3 will pair well with HH2, if money is not an issue.

Once your technique is up another bar, you might find commercial TG3 too weak. I on used commercial TG or Hurricane when i was starting. Provincial is way more controllable with more power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
i dont have tg3, im playing with dhs H HAO3 and commercial tg2neo as FH. but yeah, im already find all this commercial rubbers are trash...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
i dont have tg3, im playing with dhs H HAO3 and commercial tg2neo as FH. but yeah, im already find all this commercial rubbers are trash...
Yup. Even after boosting still a rubbish. A provincial costs $40. After boosting it plays even better than tenergy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Figured this would a an appropriate thread to ask.

I have a spreadsheet of penholders I like to follow for askpects of their game to try to emulate.

I'm left handed and I just noticed I'm pretty thin on left hander duel inverted (use of RPB) penholders.

Yes of course there's Xu Xin to use as a frame of reference but does anybody know of any other duel inverted left handed penholders they like to follow? Think it'd be good for me see different styles of play.

With Xu Xin's recent decline, I'm not even sure he's going to make it to Tokyo come 2020.

Oh and 40+ ball era preferably. Thanks for anybody who can help.