Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
What do you plan to put on it? RPB?

So I have this weird thing going on or feeling. It's probably a me thing.

But when I play dual inverted, I have a cPen I really like (Gambler Fire Dragon Fast).

But for this? Jpen. I'll put DHS C8 Long pips back there. It's a good LP that opens the door with a few attacking possibilities.

But I'll largely play it like a single singed penholder. I love having that nub on the forefinger that Jpens have when executing a TPB with the occasional RPB chop.

I can, and use to twiddle more. I won't do that as much but that's what I like about this Jpen. I can twiddle if I wanted to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Thinking of taking off the anti and turning my cpen into a single rubber paddle, but concerned about my fingers slipping on the bare back. I wonder where I can get one of those grippy sponges on the back like Kaii's. Should search for them later.

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
Thinking of taking off the anti and turning my cpen into a single rubber paddle, but concerned about my fingers slipping on the bare back. I wonder where I can get one of those grippy sponges on the back like Kaii's. Should search for them later.

sponge separated from unused (presumely dead) rubbers would work well

however, in exchange of comfort the sponge will mute your feeling of the blade to a degree. maybe thinner or softer sponges might circumvent this problem?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018

I use Kokutaku's long pip sponges. Those come in anywhere from 0.2-2mm and cheap.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
The Jpen 1-ply is nice and will always be my first love. But I think I've grown too accustomed to carbon & Cpen. I still prefer my carbon blade for my style. Didn't see that coming.

Thus, this beauty should be used by somone. Too not not to be.

Nittaku Sou.

I have it on ebay buy it now for $70.

PM me if anyone is interested. Given this thread, thought I'd at least put it out there.

IMG_20200201_105537652.jpg

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Footwork footwork footwork
The Jpen 1-ply is nice and will always be my first love. But I think I've grown too accustomed to carbon & Cpen. I still prefer my carbon blade for my style. Didn't see that coming.

Thus, this beauty should be used by somone. Too not not to be.

Nittaku Sou.

I have it on ebay buy it now for $70.

PM me if anyone is interested. Given this thread, thought I'd at least put it out there.

View attachment 20833

I’ve been looking to try out a single ply hinoki jpen...hmmm

What do you like about carbon vs. all wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I’ve been looking to try out a single ply hinoki jpen...hmmm

What do you like about carbon vs. all wood?

I never really bought into it. But comparing side by side, I think there's something actually to that you hear carbon has an ever so slightly larger sweet spot. I think there's something to that. It's minor. Real minor. But I think it might actually be true. IDK.

It's hard to say because in the limited time I've hit with this Jpen, I think my TPB is more on point. But I have a lot of FHs where I take my pressure off of that nub in more of a relaxed position from being used to Cpen. Just to change racket angles.

I think I've just simply gotten too used to Cpen

Aug 2019
as a jpenholder i dont really put pressure on the cork either when i do forehand. it just rests on the wing of the blade.

i say you're fine and should keep the jpen for fun times ;)

i find that hooking onto the cork is intrusive to my forehand. i dont know how the koreans hook the cork and still manage to keep the blade's angle in line with their forearm.

Reactions: jbvttcc and suds79
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
as a jpenholder i dont really put pressure on the cork either when i do forehand. it just rests on the wing of the blade.

i say you're fine and should keep the jpen for fun times ;)

i find that hooking onto the cork is intrusive to my forehand. i dont know how the koreans hook the cork and still manage to keep the blade's angle in line with their forearm.

I agree.

Yeah I'm in no rush and I'm perfectly fine with keeping it around also.

But to your point, I completely agree.

TPB? I love hooking my forefinger around the cork.

But on FH? I find it awkward if I have my forefinger tightly around the neck. The angle of the bade then is perpendicular to the floor when you hold your arm out to the side.

I like a loose grip on my forefinger where I try to tilt the blade more parallel to the floor for better spin.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Sorry for double post.

I think this best explains what I'm talking about in regards to the Jpen, tight grip around the cork on the FH.

With Jpen. You hold your arm out to the side. Finger tightly around that cork, It'll look like this.

jpen_tight_grip.jpg

Obviously against topspin you want to close that angle down some. So you either have to turn your elbow over (which is really awkward for me) or loosen your grip to adjust the angle.

Basically I like it to be more like this.

cpe_loose_grip.jpg

Which I get with Cpen and a loose forefinger around the neck of the blade where I subconsciously adjust the angle.

For where my game is at, this just feels more natural with Cpen. While I realize I can also do this with Jpen, in my brain for some reason I tend to keep that grip tight around there all the time. I must admit my smashing with Jpen is far better. But my style is more geared towards a side-spin hooking lefty penhold style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Qiu Dang uses jpen blade and plays RPB with that huge blade.

In case you haven't heard of him before. He's one of the sons of coach Qiu Jian Xin (www.qiutts.de) and used to play for german cadets National Team.k

Here:

Enjoy.

Please, get your research right, buddy. This is just a generic asiandrum video. Dang uses, and has always used, modern-styled C-Pen (currently a custom ALC with D09C and T05H) blades. Oh, and no, he has never used a J-Pen blade.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Started with Jpen from day 1. Switched to Cpen & tried learning RBH. Gave up and switched to Shakehand about 8 months ago. No regrets & no turning back. My game has improved tremendously esp my backhand.
Cheers mate!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Started with Jpen from day 1. Switched to Cpen & tried learning RBH. Gave up and switched to Shakehand about 8 months ago. No regrets & no turning back. My game has improved tremendously esp my backhand.
Cheers mate!

Yes SH suits many people. There are also amazing PH players at amateur level too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Club, understandably so, has been a little slow during Covid but it's nice to still get to play.

Here's a match from this last Sunday with a buddy. He has only been coming to club a few months and is still pretty new. Not bad forehand in practice actually. I sent him this video and we're going over talking points of how to get his solid forehand more in his play as my main takeaway is that he was awfully passive in this match.

I think a year from now he will be dramatically different.

FYI - I'm back to playing inverted on black & Long Pips on red. Try to see if you can catch the twiddles. :) (ex: the point at 0:29 seconds in)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Club, understandably so, has been a little slow during Covid but it's nice to still get to play.

Here's a match from this last Sunday with a buddy. He has only been coming to club a few months and is still pretty new. Not bad forehand in practice actually. I sent him this video and we're going over talking points of how to get his solid forehand more in his play as my main takeaway is that he was awfully passive in this match.

I think a year from now he will be dramatically different.

FYI - I'm back to playing inverted on black & Long Pips on red. Try to see if you can catch the twiddles. :) (ex: the point at 0:29 seconds in)

You are a leftie and tall as Xu Xin!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I am have to relent more and more that shakehand has a significant advantage over penhold

Yes. But at the club level the advantages are often not significant. In fact, a penholder with many tricks in service return and a strong TPB win many points. For example, a top player in my club plays TPB. His short game is unpredictable and placement is near perfection. His TPB push can not rival a SH's power. But his TPB push naturally recovers faster and therefore can change placement more rapidly.

Just my 2 cents

Aug 2019
brought a new jpen

10mm thick, yasaka hasha V

its about 88g, maybe a tad too light? there was a discount and it was the only blade left in stock, so i just nabbed it. kinda worried about how it'll perform though, since normally heavier jpen blades are preferred

grains look similar to my rorin, slanted on the left and tightly packed on the right, but once again i do not really care about grains ;)

ill just stick an old sheet of bluefire m1 i had on it after putting baby oil on it and see how it goes

or maybe ill stick a yinhe mercury 2 on it instead? decisions, decisions :p

muhbat.jpg

Reactions: jbvttcc and Tadeiro