Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So I know you've tried fingers extended. And looks like you've tried curled.

Have you tried just the traditional grip? Slightly curled?

pp1.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I do not know how i ended up here. Do not know much about penhold. I am somewhat interested how come so many chose to play with penhold? what is the reason for it?

Feel that penhold seems to be less popular, and i do not know why. With the modern BH i feel the liability of the traditional BH is gone. Anyone know why fewer young player seems to play with it?

Regarding the grip i think many players chose to play just RPB or the traditional, so they hold a way that suit one of them. If they play both i think they change grip between them. But this you guys proably know better than me. Just said what i thought.

I am also somewhat interested in the above picture. Is it two pimple rubbers? why? for twiddling? can not play RPB without inverted i feel.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
So I know you've tried fingers extended. And looks like you've tried curled.

Have you tried just the traditional grip? Slightly curled?

View attachment 18699

Suds,

I have not yet in any great lengths of time. Sporadically try it. I find my wrist is inflexible with that grip for the angle needed to block/punch. Spin obviously is ok. Flat hit, I don't recall, however I can see myself be iffy with flat hitting with this grip... again, may not get the angle I need. I will test it next Tuesday night.

The weirdest thing is that almost all PH in my club have a grip similar to your picture. I'm one of probably 2 who use my current unorthodox grip.

EDIT: as block and punch was a big part of my TPB game, I have invested a year's time in building my RPB block/punch skills. RPBers would generally spin and if block/punch, go Ma Lin style and TPB it like you.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I do not know how i ended up here. Do not know much about penhold. I am somewhat interested how come so many chose to play with penhold? what is the reason for it?

Welcome to the PH thread Lula! All are welcome!!

My father was a PH. I started as a PH mainly because of him. When I joined a club, my first coach, Alex Tam, just showed me some basics and did not work extensively with me. IIRC he was a 2500 TPB SP double-winged attacker. He was known for his BH smash.

His first student worked with me more but it was not extensive like multiball and complex drills. We practiced to groove strokes, and did simple drills. Although at the time he played SH, he started off as a PH. IIRC, he was probably 2200 and if not 2200, definitely 2000 to 2100. 42andbackpains and/or Carl may recall Richard Ling's rating back then. But I believe he was 2200. Richard was the nicest guy around. Trained my friends and me and other young kids.

I've tried SH on and off. I cannot get a decent serve. I like PH because I can get spinny serves. Although if I invest time into SH, I'm sure I'll get "it". But getting older and slower, I may convert but for now my passion is as a PH and I don't know when or if I ever will convert.

Feel that penhold seems to be less popular, and i do not know why. With the modern BH i feel the liability of the traditional BH is gone. Anyone know why fewer young player seems to play with it?

IMO, it's easier/faster to be a competent enough player learning SH instead of PH. If a young person is learning the game, they are probably not mature enough to devote time to be proficient as a PH when they can spend less time to be proficient as a SH. Makes sense?

Regarding the grip i think many players chose to play just RPB or the traditional, so they hold a way that suit one of them. If they play both i think they change grip between them. But this you guys proably know better than me. Just said what i thought.

Some have told me PH will vary their grip for one for use with RPB and one for everything else. I am not at a level where I can keep changing grips intra-point. So I stick to one grip that lets me perform most if not all of the strokes.

I am also somewhat interested in the above picture. Is it two pimple rubbers? why? for twiddling? can not play RPB without inverted i feel.

It may be a SP attacker with LP on back. Twiddle to use the LP to frustrate opponents at times. Suds can provide a list of PH who play SP/LP twiddling style. There is an older gentleman, I don't recall his name but suds has posted videos on this thread of him. Wong or Wang is all I recall of his name. He is probably one of the best at this style.

Also a Chinese female plays with this setup and frustrated her Japanese or Korean opponent... video also posted on this thread IIRC... don't recall names though.

Also I have seen one member in my club able to attack with his LP on his BH, although he is a SH.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc and Lula
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

I started playing penhold because shakehand hurts my wrist when I swing hard

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hello fellow penholders.

My grip is mainly like a JPEN grip. With outstretched fingers behind, usually applying pressure on my thumb and third finger.

I've played CPEN, JPEN and RPB. Nowadays, I stick to CPEN one sided, as it gives me the most control and ease of play.

My playing level is amateur | casual. https://youtu.be/WFAgaAIEybw - I'm the guy with back facing to the camera.
Please feel free to give any kind of advice, I will be more than happy to listen!

I would like to ask for some advice from fellow penholders. I'm not doing so well with my shoulder, especially if the games get more frequent. And sometimes with too much wild arm swinging, it puts me off playing TT even longer.

I would like to improve my FH stroke to be shorter and more constant. (i.e. Liang Jingkun) elbow closer to the body with a shorter forearm whip with forward motion.

Is this possible with 1 sided CPEN? Any advice or videos? I want to play a controlled, offensive game which is comfortable. Really can't keep up with the youngsters fast ball bashings now, and almost impossible for the years to come as I get even older!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I play penhold for the sake of defending it. I enjoy and believe in diversity in table tennis. Even if I am the last penholder in my region, I will continue to play it.

I am now back to my JPEN with Darker Speed 90 with Gewo EL Pro 40 on FH, Tibhar Defence 40 on BH. Like I said before, JEPN really forces me to give all out with FH. Lots of running around, stepping aside and more entertaining shots. Spectators enjoy a penhold match usually.

It's a philosophy thing for me, not a technical one. I want table tennis to be an enjoyable sport to watch with nerve racking risky shots. Therefore I choose penhold, thus I choose JPEN.

I am not saying this is not impossible with SH. SH is more balanced and safer on both wings. So people tend to not move that much with SH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello fellow penholders.

My grip is mainly like a JPEN grip. With outstretched fingers behind, usually applying pressure on my thumb and third finger.

I've played CPEN, JPEN and RPB. Nowadays, I stick to CPEN one sided, as it gives me the most control and ease of play.

My playing level is amateur | casual. https://youtu.be/WFAgaAIEybw - I'm the guy with back facing to the camera.
Please feel free to give any kind of advice, I will be more than happy to listen!

I would like to ask for some advice from fellow penholders. I'm not doing so well with my shoulder, especially if the games get more frequent. And sometimes with too much wild arm swinging, it puts me off playing TT even longer.

I would like to improve my FH stroke to be shorter and more constant. (i.e. Liang Jingkun) elbow closer to the body with a shorter forearm whip with forward motion.

Is this possible with 1 sided CPEN? Any advice or videos? I want to play a controlled, offensive game which is comfortable. Really can't keep up with the youngsters fast ball bashings now, and almost impossible for the years to come as I get even older!

This video specifically talks about a short stroke for power loop with penhold. Basically you want to minimize the movement of your elbow while looping. At the moment of contact, move your wrist to produce more power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hello fellow penholders.

I do not know much about penhold but i think it is rather similar to shakehand.

Do you warm up before training? try doing some rubber band.
Are you holding the racket hard and tensing the arm? this will cause some strain on the shoulder.

My opinion about technique is that you never want to have the elbow closer to the body. Then you do not use the forearm and will have a harder time to create spin. You also get more tense and the arm will not swing faster when you use the body in the shot. Like a golf swing but with not extended forearms. I think you get much much more free power and spin from the teqchnique if you try to have the arm extended and relax so you will benefit from the body, then you can try to pull the forearm together.

I also think like i said it will take more on your shoulder if you have elbow closer to the body, you get more tense and if you try to stop the stroke it will also be harder for the arm. Interesting to think if you lose more time by stopping the motion, because then you need tense and then relax. I think you will have faster recovery if you have a longer more relaxed motion.

I also think it is better to try to learn RPB, so use two rubbers. To bad backhand with one side. And against the youngsters maybe you can have the racket higher so you become faster, serve more long if they are good at banana flick like young people often are, work on placement, variation in tempo and the serve and return game.

Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018

This video specifically talks about a short stroke for power loop with penhold. Basically you want to minimize the movement of your elbow while looping. At the moment of contact, move your wrist to produce more power.

Thank you very much SFF! Exactly what I was looking for! Excellent video, not sure why but I burst out laughing when Odin's face came to screen so randomly.

Usually when I loop, my wrist points downwards, and slowly whips up following the motion of my arm swing.
In this video it seems like his wrist is already in the upward position when he makes contact? And he mentioned to also use the elbow as a pivot and forearm strength to produce more power.

Thanks once again. Spot on for me! :D

I do not know much about penhold but i think it is rather similar to shakehand.

Do you warm up before training? try doing some rubber band.
Are you holding the racket hard and tensing the arm? this will cause some strain on the shoulder.

My opinion about technique is that you never want to have the elbow closer to the body. Then you do not use the forearm and will have a harder time to create spin. You also get more tense and the arm will not swing faster when you use the body in the shot. Like a golf swing but with not extended forearms. I think you get much much more free power and spin from the teqchnique if you try to have the arm extended and relax so you will benefit from the body, then you can try to pull the forearm together.

I also think like i said it will take more on your shoulder if you have elbow closer to the body, you get more tense and if you try to stop the stroke it will also be harder for the arm. Interesting to think if you lose more time by stopping the motion, because then you need tense and then relax. I think you will have faster recovery if you have a longer more relaxed motion.

I also think it is better to try to learn RPB, so use two rubbers. To bad backhand with one side. And against the youngsters maybe you can have the racket higher so you become faster, serve more long if they are good at banana flick like young people often are, work on placement, variation in tempo and the serve and return game.

Thank you for the kind reminder Lula. Sometimes I do think I don't warmup enough. Just normal stretching. Will keep in mind.
Nope, I do not hold my racket tightly. My grip is weird, I have the best grip if I just do light sanding. If I sand inwards or too much, the whole thing becomes loose. And I have to grip it tighter which is more tense and uncomfortable.

Have you seen the video SFF posted? What do you think of it?

Both of you make very good points. I will keep in mind and adjust. See what happens!

I tried with RPB. But... single... minded... fury.... Yes it adds more variation. But... I just like CPEN one sided better.
Yes.. being close table and loading balls with spin on the not so spinny 40+mm... almost everything gets banana-ed back these days.

Changed to softer rubbers, more control over tempo. But man..... if I REALLY need that variation. That RPB is calling. :(
One thing I learnt though, when you're recovering from a loop stroke, retract with your elbows pointing inwards rather than outwards.
In place for the next counter. But I get what you mean... gotta do that free whip with the elbow pivot and forearm power.... gonna be fun!

Will post a future video and you can see if there are any improvements. Haha!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

My older brother played TT casually with a buddy in highschool. His friend was Korean who played Jpen and was better than my brother so my brother, played Jpen like his friend. Seeing those guys play jpen, I became a fan of penholder.

However, my first 4-5 years of TT I played shakhand. One thing was consistent over those years. Just okay forehand. Great backhand. Then one day at club I was messing around. Flipped my shakehand over and hit forehand to forehand with a buddy. In an instant my forehand was transformed to more speed, spin, some hook and I felt I could swing more naturally like I use to in tennis as a kid. So I decided to switch. This was probably 2010 when that happened. I bought a JPen because I didn't know much about Cpen. So naturally I played TPB and got use to that. So really my game flipped. Good FH. Just directional blocking TPB game.

Now years later I play Cpen and see how dated Jpen was for my game (no offense Jpeners. Some play it real well.). Every working to get that RPB better. My directional blocking game is still instinctive with TPB and I've learned to stop fighting that. So I kinda play this Ma Lin game. TPB block. When I have time or want more power or want to flip serve, RPB. I'm still trying to improve my RPB consistency as I'm literally years behind in experience with it compared to my FH.

So yeah that's my story.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think you guys should work alot on third ball attacks. There is your advantage compared to shakehand i think. Better angle with the racket so easier to come over the table.

Reactions: violoniste18
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
SFF and Lula. I tried the looping method you guys mentioned. While still having shoulder pain/ soreness. Whenever I lift my shoulder the pain comes.

With the new method I am able to open up loops very easily. Due to the shoulder droop and the short forward whip.

However I need to work on my timing. And positioning. I realised with the pain and shorter loop stroke, on continuing loops further from the table. I have trouble returning. Mostly the ball goes too long and my elbow still comes up. If I'm not in position, I can't really exert power using my waist. In this, I fully understand what Lula meant by the restriction of elbow too close to body. And with the pain, out of position can't use waist, no usual arm full swing, that short stroke movement sent my balls flying out. (Using 5 ply wood blade with FXS, so much power)

Some takeaways,
1) The shoulder droop and the open up with this new stroke is something I learnt well and will continue to use and fine tune.

2) Improve further as to know when to use a shorter loop or longer loop stroke if need be. Do not have to insist on one all the time.

3) I realised this is really a quicker and faster way to recover when doing this forward stroke. The speed and momentum increase is obvious. Will try to incorporate with my usual swing.

All in all thank you, will continue to work on my technique and improve my FH attacks. I really hope I recover quicker!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
No videos yet. Sorry.

This 70 yr old Jpenner always beats me 3-0 in the past 3 or 4 yrs when we play.

Last week lost 3-1 all close games ... tonight winning 8 to 2 with the serve in first game, beat him at 4. Lost next 2 like 7 or 8 pts. Won 4th 8 or 9 points. 5th lost at 5. Lost steam and focus and he adjusted a bit better. I am still a little gimpy in left knee.

He has weaker serves than me... has a BH smash, FH loop and monster FH smash. But last week and tonight, able to keep him away from his strengths mostly. My FH loops are a little more steadier lately and coming back to me as i neglected it for a year to learn RPB. My RPB loops are landing in more, both loop drives and the slow high topspin loops. My RPB block and punch is much steadier than before. Still not relaxed enough but not rushing as much as I used to.

Despite losses, I am happy that I am playing deeper into the point, moving the ball side to side, steadier opening loops (not good on followup loops yet), timely FH smashes. Another factor in my better gameplay may be I'm starting to push again. With new grip it was hard for me to push and keep ball low for whatever reason. Lately practicing pushing and during gameplay, my pushing has allowed me not to rush to loop where in the past I forced myself to loop 2nd or 3rd ball and often losing the point.

I may have to ask for 8 points instead of 9 from suds, monster and JeffM :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Hello PHers!!

I need some advice. I'm a Jpen player w/ RPB. My problem is I struggle against allrounders, players who blocks a lot and attacks with slow shots. Creating my own power is not really my strength, I'm more of a counter looper from mid distance which relies on opponents power in order to create a powerful shot of my own..a spin-drive as others call it. But when it come to allrounders, my shots suddenly are too weak and inconsistent, also my timing is off that I end up running around just trying to put the ball on the other side of the net. They really destroy my rhythm.

My strategy is usually open up first and open up strong as longer rallies put me in a disadvantage. But somehow these guys are able to block my 3rd or 2nd ball attacks and puts the ball close to the net rather somewhere near the end line of the table. This is where I screw up, my first option is still try to counter the ball, but I just can't find the right timing which makes my attack relatively weak and easy for my opponent to block to the other direction, this is where me running around starts. My second option is to just block it, but the ball returned much weaker where they are able to counter it. And finally I just tried to flat hit the ball, this has more success rate when it went it but way too inconsistent.

I was hoping you guys can give me some tips on how to handle such players. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Short game is never Jpen's strength. You have to condition your mind to deal with those blocks.

Maybe long serve might help to open up the game in your favour?
Maybe give him the opportunity to open up the game, and you counter attack?

Hello PHers!!

I need some advice. I'm a Jpen player w/ RPB. My problem is I struggle against allrounders, players who blocks a lot and attacks with slow shots. Creating my own power is not really my strength, I'm more of a counter looper from mid distance which relies on opponents power in order to create a powerful shot of my own..a spin-drive as others call it. But when it come to allrounders, my shots suddenly are too weak and inconsistent, also my timing is off that I end up running around just trying to put the ball on the other side of the net. They really destroy my rhythm.

My strategy is usually open up first and open up strong as longer rallies put me in a disadvantage. But somehow these guys are able to block my 3rd or 2nd ball attacks and puts the ball close to the net rather somewhere near the end line of the table. This is where I screw up, my first option is still try to counter the ball, but I just can't find the right timing which makes my attack relatively weak and easy for my opponent to block to the other direction, this is where me running around starts. My second option is to just block it, but the ball returned much weaker where they are able to counter it. And finally I just tried to flat hit the ball, this has more success rate when it went it but way too inconsistent.

I was hoping you guys can give me some tips on how to handle such players. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 4 reviews
I come back to this thread, 2 month ago I switched again to penhold grip, according to the fact that i didn't fell problems with my back.

So I was playing again with chinese grip and 1 side ( no rpb ) with a yinhe T11+ blade. My level was lower but my pleasure of playing higher ! ( I started penhold grip at 54 years, after 20 years of orthodox grip )

And 1 month ago, I try a japanese blade, in order to get a better RT.

Now my level is a little better than orthodox (between 1200 points and 1300 points in France), my RT is good and I use a long pimple on the RPB side, to play again spin serves or sometimes defense and a few serves with LP

I like this play, I play with a blade Yinhe 987, buy at aliexpress for 14 $ with postage ... It's a good blade but I order a blade at tt-japan.net to try a "better" (?) blade, "acute" from nittaku

here : acute.jpg

do you know that blade ?

it price is about 30 $. What kind of other blade can you advise to me ? ( 1 side with big cork at FH, I need it )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello PHers!!

Hello genrel001,

In full disclosure, I have a friend I have regularly played and he sounds like what you call an allrounder. I have lost a ridculous amount of games to him, partly because I was forcing myself to learn RPB and partly because I neglected my FH loop. Past 2 weeks or so, my FH loop is coming back and my RPB is getting more consistent. 2 weeks ago I beat him 3-0 although he averaged 8 points or so per game. My record against him is 3 wins and 50 losses (I'm exaggerating, but you get the point).

He is consistent and steady and returns the ball. When opportunity presents itself, he will FH smash. He is a JPen TPB (but slowly has tried to learn RPB with his JPen).

Almost guarantee point winners for me has been vs him:

1. Serve a rocket to his BH, he returns to my FH, I FH stroke to his FH. Although he has speedy footwork, most of the time I will win the point right then. If he returns to my BH, I RPB punch down the line usually for a winner.

2. Serve short sidetop to his FH, he pops up, i smash. Although it sounds like you are not a smasher and if I understood you, you think you would not be able to open with a loop as you are a counter-looper.

Perhaps for now, just look to return the ball like the mantra in my signature. Don't look to win the point outright. Just return the ball. He blocks it back, just return it.

What I suggest though is to vary placement. Try to move your allrounder partner side to side and in and out (short and long).

3. I 2nd ball RPB slow heavy topspin to his BH. My friend cannot handle those. I am not that good at a slow heavy topspin FH loop yet. But i would target his BH as well.

--------

Work on initiating your attacks. By 'attacks', you don't have to try to win the point outright, just start your loops be it RPB or FH. Make sure you can land them in. At this point in the training process, you want to be sure you can make your shots and not lose the point on a missed shot. It took me a year to get a feel for RPB. During that year, I missed many a shot.

If your opponent wins with a killer shot, at least you didn't miss and give him the point outright. He had to earn it. Once you get consistent in returning the ball, then look to build on that and attack a little more aggressively. Don't look to win on one shot alone, work on playing steady. Get back into ready position after your shot. Anticipate the ball and look to attack, again not to win the point, but attack to land the ball in as well as being a little aggressive.

These tips are easy for me to say and perhaps tough for you to do. Trust me, I know the allrounder type. My friend has double digit wins over me, and I only have 3 wins off of him. It is a tough process to the ego and confidence, but finally my strokes are getting more consistent and I am finally giving him a tougher time.

You say you cannot generate power on your own and need to counter-loop to use your opponent's loop power. Perhaps off the table, shadow more and be sure your looping form is correct and slowly but surely progressively speed your stroke. Push off with legs, twist waist, and follow through. For extra power/speed, I whip my arm, although I am not a real looper and didn't train it properly, I tend to loop with my arm instead of my whole body. I have been shadowing slowly and then after a minute or so i progressively speed it up. So if your form may be the cause of your lack of power generation.

Also perhaps you lack confidence in your strokes and therefore there's no power? Up until 2 or 3 months ago, I had no confidence at all during gameplay on my FH loop. For the past year I actively trained RPB over my FH loop. I was hesitant to FH loop during a game and my opponents spotted it easily. It takes time, but "Success breeds confidence and confidence breeds success." Keep at it!

On the table, find a partner who will just block for you. Start looping slowly, and speed it up along the way. Focus on form. You willl be able to generate power/speed at some point. May not be soon enough for you though, but we all crawled before we walked and walked before we ran.

Good luck in your training and truly hope these help!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
@OSP

Thank you so much for that very detailed advice. It may take sometime for me to take it all in but I will digest it none the less. I really appreciate it.

I think you were right, my form is a bit awkward and unorthodox for most. I tend to lunch forward with my whole body during a stroke, sort of like counter punchingnin boxing. I've unconsciously adapted to this stroke as majority of the players I played againsts are hard hitters and power loopers. But that form seems to not work against slow allrounders.

You can also add my lack of confidence on my RPB, funny thing about it is that every time I made a successful RPB shot it is a sure point for me but most of the time it went over the table or hit the net. It really brings my confidence down. I really need to improve my consistency.

Finally, maybe I don't have the power to play with chinese rubbers. I will try to change my equipment with euro/jap rubbers or maybe even throw in a short pip on my FH just to mess with my opponent.

Again, thank you OSP. I will digest your advice.

1. Form
2. Confidence
3. Be more aggressive.

Got it.