Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

says Footwork footwork footwork
I got schooled by an older J-pen guy last night. He was jolly, old and certainly less mobile than me, but damn was he deceptive. Great touch and moved me like crazy. He was laughing after every point.

He was certainly a wall on his backhand side and when I would get any attacks in and him further from the table he could counter or resorted to lobbing.

I’ve got a lot of training to do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc and suds79
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
speaking of playing like RSM, didn't RSM himself gave an advise to amateurs that imitating his style of play is not necessarily the right way for most people? the advice is in the "breaking stereotypes" video btw

i agree that RSM's playstyle is very effective, especially when young, but only if they are physically fit enough for it (not me :D)

Aug 2019
Nice!! Apparently it's a soft 1-ply hinoki with more flex than others.

mmhm

i bounced the ball on the bare blade for a while. crazy bounce!! you can hit the ball higher up in the air and the ball would still bounce just as high even without you doing anything!

ill post some pics later on, though i dont have enough photography skills to take a pic of the grains

the grains arent straight, they swerve to the side in the middle portion of the blade. but then again, i dont really care about the grains.

mmhm

i bounced the ball on the bare blade for a while. crazy bounce!! you can hit the ball higher up in the air and the ball would still bounce just as high even without you doing anything!

ill post some pics later on, though i dont have enough photography skills to take a pic of the grains

the grains arent straight, they swerve to the side in the middle portion of the blade. but then again, i dont really care about the grains.

Looking forward to the pics! Maybe some video of the bounce too? ;)

Aug 2019
Looking forward to the pics! Maybe some video of the bounce too? ;)

Sent from my using Tapatalk

video? sure thing

im not liable for any exaggerations tho, i was really excited yesterday ;)

now i wonder if i should use a homemade wipe-on poly or not to seal my rorin. or is it not necessary at all as i dont use WBG but haifu speedglue?

ive splintered my kokutaku but it possibly boiled down to two things of why it happened;
1) i didnt use a proper glue before, i was using a cheap latex adhesive with a bond too strong
2) cheap 1-ply jpen, very soft wood and mediocre finish (the front cork is not straight, so is the graphic on the blade's face)

any inputs on this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Had my first hit with my new Blade the Gambler Fire Dragon Fast.

This is coming off the blade I've had for 3+ years in the Gambler Fire Dragon Touch.

I've talked glowingly about the Fire Dragon Touch. Very spiny & controllable. Too early to call on the Fire Dragon Fast but I wanted more speed? Mission accomplished.

It's without a doubt faster. Definitely a pinch less flexy and overall my shots are ever so slightly more straight lined vs arching.

I like it. I think as I get use to it, I'll adapt nicely but if it plays like my Touch in feel, etc just a little faster? I'll be a happy camper.

DxPvQc61AXZ2sQNLRO2IHtVsAG2JSKHdfVwYrgw9wokibmQINssnxgJg1V3ftV8H26NvZwuK3X895TU_MKEYaVkZOxgG0TBioE5ujgvNpsgeKxlNOMLBcs_azsg-FaTANuwM1TZm_ca3Nl7sIZ2EBdbD-JKUpHtKJBkrJycQE3haRRuew5QfxAe3PjsvQosbsw31XYkh0iqvauCphmFV8ivhrAlFp0ll4e7-wkkaFamOsm1jq5md3ni9byBup4bBhItIzGnrVoe8QD5FgXmHMhO1VjK88lzHhs-GtYozhWUtCzCgZNl9kRLPb3ZRmFlldCxtGEkP4tLUfke9TJfgoHQCnPwK6n3LAzU5qy5rbbvMc2tcVUlU3I2Df_TYZLatlsYGG-FiF5RtmVc2b8cOFmdzHDhBz8KXwst_c3zBwaIajyMEkC_-miJxPpV9cBj4Izj93HZJS1VFFP6WZg__l2rR4n9-QHL9OdPXIfNAGO5E-ONqGD_OQFXsma8rtlss8RqMZUSGcjpl9CR74I-_h3XJTdKfOjnLRi8Li-q8FmUOe8InuwmZ2nR3qcGe-D0gBNMBbjZU4Jgw83iKqMQiAksxuHLeXwLfsGQVBXJgrPsqtTdrY1BdbFo8eVPzpv8VTPVnzNZ4Q6xnvyRnwpv30VHmPWCv77igjtbiUZ01VmIkJgovoo72emk=w1238-h928-no

Post edit 1 day later:

Hit with a buddy over lunch. F me this thing is fast. Almost starting to wonder if too fast.

So there is the new blade to get use to. I knew that would happen. But then when I was gluing on my H3 on the FH, pulled it out of the package and saw I ordered Red vs black (doh). :( I have this weird thing where the FH has to be black if I'm not twiddling.

That's okay. I had a brand new sheet of Dawei 2008xp which is a semi-tacky Chinese rubber vs super tacky of H3.

I at this point I can't tell if it's the blade that's too fast, the rubber that's too fast or both together. It's still too early to call as I'm getting use to it but today's hit was just so so.

Last edited:
Aug 2019
sorry for the long wait, the photos are finally here ;)

before modification;

IMG_20191126_125241.jpgIMG_20191129_142100.jpgIMG_20191126_125253.jpg

after modification;

IMG_20191129_142123.jpgIMG_20191129_142150.jpgIMG_20191129_142305.jpgIMG_20191129_142316.jpgIMG_20191129_142336.jpgIMG_20191129_142245.jpg

the brownish stains on the sides are actually super glue. 2 layers of super glue, then shaved the excess with a razor blade. purpose is to strengthen the sides of the jpen so they won't splinter.

video of the bounce test on the bare wooden blade;

https://youtu.be/rd8_5pW9kVU

again, not liable for any exaggerations :D

also i just went on with gluing rubbers on it without sealing it. 2 rubber removals in a week and no signs of splinters, hope it stays that way.

first rubber i had on was the super 729 FX. not bad, but quite slow with little spin. second rubber i had was the sriver. its an old sheet, so half of the grip was gone but the rubber is still playable. playing with it reminded me of why i had a love-hate relationship with it. TPB punches often go into the net. forehand is pretty decent.

just today i had the nittaku fastarc g-1 glued on my rorin with 3 layers of haifu speed glue. second time using an expensive tensor in my whole life, feels amazing! really suits my backhand! forehand topspin felt too fast for me at first, but i managed to tame it during a practice with someone at a club i joined.

Reactions: jbvttcc and Tadeiro
This user has no status.
Sweet blade! I love my 1 ply blades but I've got about n+1 blade too many! My Butterfly Senkoh 1 and a lovely Xiom Seung Power Hinoki (Try saying that three times fast...) are more than enough for my Jpen needs, I mean, wants. :p

I have a Sanwei Target National on the Butterfly blade FH with a Yinhe Galaxy 9000E on the BH and for fun on the Xiom blade, I have a 729 802-40 pips out on the FH and Grass Dtecs OX on the BH. The latter is really fun to hit through spin :)

Reactions: netdriver

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016

Found a video about how to play a forehand after serving. Even though it is in Korean, it has good information about footwork and weight transfer.

How are your guys’ over the table RPB flicks progressing? I recently had a bit of wrist pain from two days of heavy BH training where flicks were a big part of it... that resulted me in changing the grip a bit for a more stable wrist.

So, previously, I held the blade lower down the handle (so further away from the wings, if you look at the cPen blade standing on its handle) which allowed for pretty free wrist movement which was nice for flicks. My fingers were pretty straight on the back side.

Now, with the pain- I started choking up more on the handle towards the wings and sort of have a Wang Hao grip with pressure only really on the middle and ring finger on the back. This gave my wrist less mobility and more stability. It actually feels better to loop like this (as it’s more controlled for me) and my Bh block angle feels more natural. My biggest adjustments are now trying to get a deep prep on the Chiquita openings over the table and my forehand adjustment (just feels quite different). My wrist isn’t able to bend in as it was before with this grip.

How are you guys handling these types of shots? What’s your grip like?

My set up is pretty heavy at 191g currently (it’s been as high as 203g too).

I’ll try to post a gif or quick video of my technique if I can figure out how...